Wake Up Call

By VictoriaAshleyAuthor

A broken girl... Twenty years old and I'd finally had enough. I couldn't take anymore, so I packed up my thin... More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
Wake Up 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21

CHAPTER 17

414K 5.3K 931
By VictoriaAshleyAuthor

Avery

An hour later, Jace and I are on the road once again, and headed back to Jace's place. My mother refused to see us, or even the nurse anymore, and I knew nothing would change her mind so we left.

Thoughts of my father will now poison my mother's every thought, and that's a powerful enough thing to make her blind to the situation and see how shitty he was.

It'll be no use to try to gain her forgiveness. Not now.

Only time will be able to heal the damage done.

Even then... there's only a slight chance for forgiveness.

My swollen eyes wander out the passenger side window as the nurse's words replay over and over in my head. They're words I never expected and I'll never be able to forget.

"Avery, your father has been battling cancer for over twelve years now. His body has been shutting down slowly over the years. He held on much longer than expected, but it was just time he let go. He was admitted to the hospital earlier today after being attacked in an alleyway, tests were run and shortly after... he passed.

"Avery." Jace's deep voice calls out.

I slowly reach up, hands shaking as I wipe the tears from off my puffy cheeks, before turning to face him. "Are you okay?" he questions, his emerald eyes looking dark, as they scan mine before setting back on the road. "Would you like me to stop somewhere? We can take a rest and get something to eat."

My stomach growls at even the mention of food, but I know keeping any food down won't be an option at the moment. "No," I whisper. "I'm not hungry. I just want some rest."

Closing my eyes, I lean into the black leather seat and wipe at my face.

I had no idea my father was even sick and from the way my mother reacted earlier to his death, I have a feeling she was just as clueless.

All of those years he'd kept that huge secret to himself. One that has probably been eating at him and tearing him apart bit by bit as he died a little more each and every day.

Every day he had to live with the pain and face the fact that he was dying. Maybe he couldn't face the fact. Maybe that's why he couldn't even stay sober for longer than five damn minutes.

Gripping the seat, I close my eyes as my head begins to spin. I feel sick. So damn sick.

"Stop the car!"

Jace quickly pulls the car over, before jumping out, right as I manage to swing my door open and fall out on my knees.

The only thing keeping me sane at the moment, as I sit here, is the feeling of Jace's strong hand rubbing the back of my head.

Nothing else in the world seems to make sense at the moment. He's the only thing that seems real to me.

The only thing keeping me alive.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry," I cry. "I should have stayed with you. We could've taken care of this better. I was just so scared. I was scared of hurting you." I bring my knees to my chin and rock back and forth, as he continues to rub my head. "I left to keep you safe. I didn't want to. Now my mother and my father..."

"It's okay," he whispers. "None of this is your fault. You had no control over your father or your mother for that matter. You have been through so much and it's time for you to move on. This is your chance, Avery." He pulls me into his arms and falls down on the ground next to me, holding me tightly. "This is what it feels like to be loved," he swallows. "I'm here for you, always."

I stare up at him in confusion as he jumps to his feet, helps me up, and back into the car. All of the color drains from his usually tanned face as he wipes the ass of his jeans off and gently reaches over to buckle me in.

I want to question the, be loved part, but I can't seem to form any words. Not the ones I want to at least. "Okay," I whisper. Thank you."

He looks down at me while chewing on his lip in frustration. He looks as if he has something to say, but decides against it at last minute.

Then without another word, he jogs to his side of the car and jumps in.

💋 💋 💋

When we arrive back at Jace's house, there's a little silver Honda sitting in the driveway.

Jace's eyes go wide as we pull up behind the car. "That's a sight I haven't seen in a while."

He pulls his eyes away from the car and sets them on the woman sitting on his front porch. "It's my sister," he whispers. "She hasn't come to my house in over three years. There has to be something wrong." He runs his hands through his hair and exhales. "Shit."

Staying back, I watch as he jumps out of the car and hurries over to his sister.

They both stand there in silence for a few moments, before Jackie throws her frail arms around Jace and falls into him.

I can see Jackie's body shaking as she slowly falls to her knees, while gripping his shirt. The sight in front of me brings me to tears. Especially when I notice him crying along with her.

I've never in my life seen a man cry and it breaks my heart to pieces. Jace is the strongest person I know, and to see him, cry crushes me. He really does have the biggest heart in the world. First, he took care of me, and now his sister. He has to have a heart of steel to be so strong.

I wait in the car until Jace looks my direction and nods his head.

He smiles as I step out of the car and walk over to stand in front of him and Jackie. "Go on inside and get some rest." He kisses his sister on the forehead and watches as she smiles at me and heads inside.

She looks as if she's been crying for days. Her cheeks are swollen and red and she can barely even open her eyes. By looking at her, you would think she hasn't slept in over a week.

Jace really has his hands full with the both us.

Jace peers over his left shoulder to look at me, before nodding his head and then walking over to lean against the porch. His eyes scan mine, while he plays with his leather jacket. "She left him, Avery." He lets out a small breath and then smiles. "She actually left that piece of shit." He looks down at the ground and a tear falls from his face. He doesn't even try to hide it.

All it makes me want to do is be close to him even more. Wiping my face, I walk over to him and throw my arms around him. "Don't cry," I breathe, wanting nothing more than to comfort him. "I don't like to see you look so..."

Jace looks up and cups my face. "What?" he pushes.

I hide my face in his chest and grip his jacket, before pushing the word out. "Sad," I reply. "It makes me..."

"It makes you what," he whispers, "Tell me.You can say it."

"It makes me sad and breaks my heart. Okay," I mutter. "It fucking hurts me to see you sad." I look up into his eyes as his grip suddenly tightens around me.

It gives me chills.

The look on his face is unreadable as he leans forward and softly brushes his lips against mine. "That's how I feel about you every day." He presses his soft lips to mine, before slowly pulling away. "My heart aches for you every day, but that won't keep me away. I wouldn't stop the suffering, because I welcome the pain." He crushes his lips back to mine, causing me to become breathless as I kiss him back with force.

A moan escapes my parted lips as I place my hands to his stiff chest and squeeze. His heart is pounding heavily against my open palm as he lifts me off the ground and sets me down on the railing. He forcefully presses his body between my legs and grips the back of my hair with both hands.

I feel like I am falling, but I'm not afraid. I have Jace here to protect me I see that now more than ever. "You do something to me," I moan against his lips.

He smiles and runs his finger over my bottom lip. "You do something to me too. Something I'll never be able to explain..."

His breathing is heavy and forced as he grabs my hand. "This is the only way to explain what you do to me." He firmly presses my hand against his chest to reveal the heavy beating of his heart.

Seeing him, standing here so vulnerable and open makes him sexy. Everything from the sultry look on his face, mixed with pain, to the way his chest looks in his fitted black T-shirt, screams sexy. At the moment, I want him. Every part of him.

"I want you," I moan, rubbing my hand over his chest. "Every part of you."

Jace freezes momentarily before his hand snakes under my ass as he picks me up and forces me to wrap my legs around his waist.

I squeeze my thighs tighter around him for support as he carries me through the warm house and into my old bedroom, gently placing me down on the bed and yanking his jacket and T-shirt off.

He stands there shirtless, with every defined muscle flexing as he fights to breathe. "Anything you want is yours," he says huskily. "All you have to do is take it."

My heart pounds heavily as I reach out and grip the waist of Jace's faded jeans. I unbutton his jeans with one hand while running the other one up his tight stomach. Suddenly touching him isn't even enough. I have to get a taste to satisfy my burning hunger. "I need you, Jace."

Jace smoothly steps out of his jeans before he crawls onto the bed and hovers above me, his bare chest heaving above my face. "I'm already yours," he moans.

Moaning, I snake my arms around his waist as I slowly run my tongue over his every muscle. He tastes so damn good against my tongue.

His stomach flexes as he watches my every move, before he slowly strips me of my clothing and pulls me on top of him.

I want him more now than ever. "You're beautiful," I moan into his lips.

A smirk crosses his face before he sinks into me, giving me the greatest pleasure I have ever known. The way he moves inside me, so slow and deep, makes it hard to catch my breath as I grip onto him for support.

He's so big and knows exactly how to work it to pleasure me until I'm moaning and screaming next to his ear.

The second time is somehow even better than the first.

I have a feeling it will only get better from here.

💋 💋 💋

I awake in the middle of the night to an empty bed. My heart sinks as I look around in the darkness for him, before crawling out of bed and throwing on a pair of sweats and an old T-shirt. I saunter down the dark hall and stop when I hear voices in the kitchen.

Jace and Jackie are sitting in the kitchen drinking tea. Feeling as if I might have interrupted, I spin around, ready to head back to the room. "I'm sorry," I choke out. "I'll leave you two alone."

Jackie and Jace both stand up and smile, before Jackie waves me over and pulls out a chair next to her. "No. Please join us," she says in a soft voice. "Jace was just telling me about you."

Jace's face turns red as he bites his bottom lip and takes a sip of his tea. "Sit down. Let me get you some tea." He shakes his head at Jackie and then reaches for a mug. "Sorry if we woke you."

I grab the mug from out of his hand and take the seat next to Jackie. Sipping the tea, I look between the both of them. "It's fine. It wasn't you guys. I was just having trouble sleeping," I admit.

Jace walks over to me and kisses me on the forehead, his soft lips lingering for a moment, as he tenderly rubs the back of my head. "I'm sorry. I wish I could take back-"

"Jace." A smile spreads across Jackie's pale face as she watches her brother's movements. "I wish I had what you guys do."

Jace and I both look over at her with confused looks.

"What!" She grins. "I'm not blind. I can see you guys love each other. Joe never truly loved me. I know this now."

Jace swallows hard as he reaches out and pokes his sister in the side, making her laugh. "You should get some sleep." His jaw ticks. "You need to gain your strength back."

My heart skips a beat as I glance around the kitchen, before setting my eyes back on Jace and his sister goofing off.

That's what love and family should be like.

"Um... Maybe I'll go back to bed." I stand up, but Jace places his hand on my shoulder to make me sit back down.

"You should finish that tea first. You need something in your stomach." He glares over at his sister and rubs his hand over his forehead. "Good night, Jackie." He laughs and nudges her in the side again.

Jackie looks back and forth between the both of us and laughs. Her face looks slightly better from earlier and she seems to be doing okay.

Jace manages to give us both hope.

"Good night, kids." She stands up from the table and makes her way back to Jace's room.

The room is silent once we're alone and I can't help but to stare at Jace.

He's so beautiful, that it's breathtaking...

Finally, breaking the silence, Jace sets his mug in the sink and reaches for my hand. "Let's get some sleep. I'll explain everything about my sister tomorrow."

Yawning, I nod my head in agreement, and follow him back to bed.

It feels good to have him back by my side. It makes me... happy.

But... in love? I'm still not sure I know how that feels.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

412 108 28
"If I risk it all, could you break my fall? How do I live? How do I breathe? When your not here i'm sufficated. I wanna feel love, run through my blo...
17.1K 662 25
"You're bleeding, and you're clearly upset. What happened?" "Nothing is wrong. Go away, Jace." She answered. "Bullshit, what's wrong? Did someone do...
9.6K 352 28
"Love isn't real" I mumbled looking down at me shaking hands. I felt his breath on my neck as he stood behind me. One of his hands was sliding up my...
1.3K 100 31
What ties us to the Earth? What is life after death? Why do we continue to live in a world full of broken promises and empty smiles? Jace Abney has...