Savage

By Mrs_Ivashkov

Shailene Haynesworth was just an ordinary girl with a simple life, until Andrew Broker came into her life. Bu... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Birthday Surprises
Chapter 2 - Aftermath
Chapter 3 - Reunion
Chapter 4 - Revenge Begins
Chapter 5 - First Sight
Chapter 8) First Fight
Chapter 9) First Plan
Chapter 10- Set Straight
Chapter 11- Prey
Chapter 12- Troubled
Chapter 13- Eventful night
Chapter 14- Revenge Plans In Place
Chapter 15- Confrontations
Chapter 16- Falling
Chapter 17- Decisions
Chapter 18- Making a Move
Chapter 19- Almost Time
Chapter 20- Helpless
Chapter 21- Company In The Holding Room
Chapter 22- Love's Effect
Chapter 23- Extra Hostage
Chapter 24- We've got a family situation
Chapter 25- Not Real
Chapter 26- Confessions
Chapter 27- Not As Planned
Chapter 28- Look At What The Tide Brought In
.Chapter 29- Goodbye Rebel
Chapter 30- The Speech

Chapter 6 - First Encounter

225 13 12
By Mrs_Ivashkov

*Shailene's POV*

I awoke to lights illuminating my senses behind my closed lids. Where was I? Then, the lights disappeared, my eyes still closed. Then, they reappeared. What was going on?

I strained my eyes open, slowly adjusting. While I was at it, I recalled the night's events. Somehow, the stranger's smile and stare seemed to be the only thing that lingered in my mind.

When I could finally see who was the devious person pulling the yellow curtain before me, back and forth, I pieced the place together. I was in my own living room. Andrew was trying to wake me up....in my living room.

Where was my father?

I looked over to where his Ford's keys should be, and it wasn't there. Andrew timed this perfectly.
He stood there, feeling accomplished at my awakening, refreshed in a cream shirt and a bright smile.

'Good morning sunshine,' he gleamed from the other side of the room. I sat up slowly, looking at him, eyes narrowed to slits.

'Where is-' He cut me off.

'He left an hour ago. The house is yours. Just wanted to make sure you're awake before I leave.'

'Where are you going?' I shifted some strands of hair behind my ear which were out of place about my face.

He looked serious for a moment, as if he was contemplating something. 'I have some errands to run, but I'll be back soon and I'll bring us lunch.'

Soon. He had some elaboration to do on those scars.

****

Andrew left about two hours ago and I was texting Veronica, currently awaiting a reply. I went out into the yard to check the mailbox because I doubted that my father would have time to check up on bills. The street was still and quiet and I took a deep breath. All I could hear was the neighbour's dog at it again, barking at the thin midday air. I searched through the bunch of keys to find the one for the mailbox. Then, I heard someone running. .in my direction. I looked up.

It was him.

Since we had no fence, and the mailbox stood real close to the sidewalk, the runner slowed to a stop directly in front of me, and I was faced with a full smile which phased me again. All he needed was a really round glasses to pull of the 'nerd' facade.

Why did it bother me so much?

I think I heard him speak, but I couldn't be sure. My mind was preoccupied, studying him closely. Hair the same way I had seen it last night on the beach. His eyes a light brown which complimented his fair skin a bit. The only thing that set me on edge, was the way his eyes reminded me of my mother. There's just a glint of it that made me think of her.

Thank the heavens that I had my father's eyes because if I had hers, I would be reminded everyday, because it's a colour that people usually comment on...and I would have been reminded....and then hate myself.

She left 11 years ago. She never loved me. She always had a back-up family. The family she always took 'business trips' to visit a few times for the year...or even the entire year...well, that's what my father told me. What else was there to believe? I never called her and she never called me. I guess it was mutual. But, that didn't mean I longed for someone to talk to, someone to keep my father on track, someone to do most of the things I do around the house...sometimes I thought I was probably adopted.

The stranger waved in front of my face. He seemed to be talking for quite a while. 'Hello? Earth to beauty?' That was what caught my attention.

His voice clouded my thoughts and I think he realized that he had gotten my attention. 'Are you okay? You look angry.'

'I'm fine.' I saw something. 'Why is your hand bleeding?'

'Oh...umm..I don't know.' He took out a napkin from his grey gym pants' pocket and pressed it to his bleeding knuckles. 'I think I hit a wall while running earlier.'

Liar.

'So you just hit it? Unintentionally?' I mentally high-fived myself for the sarcastic tone I used. The cut though, looked as it was gashed away really hard. Was he having a boxing match with the concrete?

'Yes...oh, I forgot to ask, how rude of me. What's your name?' He smiled and I eyed him suspiciously. My arms were folded. I would have offered a handshake if I didn't suspect that he lied.

'Shailene, and yours?'

'Kendall.' He inhaled deeply. 'You smell like strawberries. Nice.' He nodded to himself. 'I should get going now.'

As soon as he said that he was ready to leave, I heard a vehicle pull up on the gravelled section of the yard. My father was going to react to that for sure. I turned to where it was and saw Andrew coming out of his Volvo...his hair dishevelled. It looked really good though, his hair. But that wasn't the only thing new he came back to me with. He got closer, making his way over to me, eyeing my new acquaintence from behind, Kendall, as he jogged away from us.

Andrew's lower lip was swollen.

*Andrew's POV*

This morning, at about 5, when I pulled up in front of Shay's house, waiting for her father to leave, after we fell asleep in the car on the beach. I saw Kendall coming out of a shiny black Camry DX, and entering the apartment building, two houses down. I had intentions of finding him eventually, like tomorrow, or the day after, but he made this easy. Which means, things might not end so well.

Target marked.

I woke Shailene up. I was surprised that she didn't even ask how she got into the living room, because it was quite a task. It was almost as if I dragged her into her house because she was partially awake. I hoped nobody saw, except the neighbour's dog.

I told her that I had 'errands' to run, but what she didn't know was it was only one errand..to track Kendall. I was capable of using my training from a few years back to get this done and over with. After leaving her house, I drove to the far end of the street, waiting to see if anyone followed. He was too smart. He knew I was there at Shay's this morning. He knew everything. He probably had spy gear set up all over my house...and Shailene's.

That was it. I saw him get out of the old, off white building from the rearview mirror. Typical Savage, he walked backwards for a few seconds, looking all around, making sure nothing suspicious was in sight. He wore a knee-length joggers, matching his grey hoodie and set out jogging, in my direction. I waited till he almost reached my vehicle, then opened the door hard. It barely affected him. Why am I even doing this? I could just let it go...but no.

It was almost as if he was expecting it.

'Oldest trick I know Drew. Props for trying.' I could see the smile forming on his face as he said it. His eyes lit up every time he did. His jet black hair was slicked back like a typical 80s prom date. He was a little more built than I was, not that it showed as I was standing before him.

'Why are you doing this? I want my phone back.' I felt a bit inferior to him, not because I was younger, but because I lacked the advanced training and he had power over me. I had power over him too, but his overshadowed mine. I was wondering if I should just do what they said before they killed us both, Shay and I, but I wasn't gonna go down that easily.

He had my phone so I asked him for it, because it was m i n e . He made my girlfriend doubt me. I almost lost her. Her psychotic friend beat me with an ashwood baseball bat.

Crazy. Crazy. Crazy.

I did ask him nicely. I hated him for doing this. It made me feel to give him the punishment, so he could feel what it felt like. It was because of him it happened.

My mental plots were disturbed when he shoved me back and provoked me further. 'What are you going to do about it? Nothing.'

I took a deep breath. But then, he punched me directly in my face, the base of his fist set my lip off like a mini fountain. That was definitely going to leave a mark. How was I gonna hide this from Shailene?

He asked for it. My limited training and fighting strategies flashed across my mind. It was too much. I didn't want to be like them. I shouldn't be doing this, but it would be worth it.

Just as I suit up and convinced myself to fight, I saw the other punch coming. I dodged it and he hit the concrete wall of the abandoned house behind me instead. Ha. He missed. But then, I saw his knuckles start to bleed and the flashes across my mind became more and more intense.

He eased up a bit, took my iPhone out of his pocket after soaking up the evidence of his minor pain on his vest he wore inside of his hoodie, and handed it over to me. 'The text didn't work Drew, but there are a million other ways to extinguish that fire between you both. Just wait and see.'

I gritted my teeth and tried my best not to throw one of the bricks from the side of the lonely section of Traddis Street, at his head. He stalked off the the opposite direction while I tried to wipe every single red blood cell off my face. I had promised to get Shailene lunch, so I couldn't go back just yet, but I took a few moments to look at Kendall till he was no longer in sight.

Something was wrong. This was not his usual nature. He was definitely up to something, and I knew it.

***

After I had gotten us a pizza, I drove to her house, making sure, again and again, that my face a clear of any signs of abuse. I couldn't help but mentally kick myself for not being alert enough to dodge the punch that made my lip get a bit bigger, fuller at one end. This was definitely going to draw Shay's attention, and I needed an excuse...fast.

When I pulled up on her father's gravelled section of the yard, I was too busy thinking of an excuse that I only realized moments later, that Kendall was talking to Shailene. I could not believe this. Why couldn't they all just leave my relationship, the only thing this made me happy, alone.

Kendall shoved his hands in his pockets and picked up a pace, jogging away as I hurried out of the Volvo. Shay was standing at the mailbox in a blue jean shorts and navy blue and while polka dot top, her brown hair bundled up on top of her head. Beautiful.

I still had to explain everything to her...starting with my present condition.

'Oh my gosh Andrew, what happened to your lip?' She began.

'I ...uh..' I suddenly forgot the story I made up for her but then uttered the first excuse that came to mind. 'Shrimp...I'm allergic to shrimp.'

'Really? You never told me that.' I smiled but it hurt. Just when I thought she bought what I said, she spoke again when she figured I looked triumphant. 'You're a terrible liar Andrew.' She rolled her eyes when I looked at her, and she looked away to the direction that Kendall just jogged off.

Reality hit me. WHY WAS HE HERE?

'Shailene, don't doubt me, but we have a lot of things to talk about.'

'Yes, we do.'

'And I will, as soon as you tell me who was that you were just talking to.'

'Oh...' I could see her smile a bit....just a bit. 'I just met him. he lives on this street, moved in two days ago...' Two days ago? 'His name is Kendall.'

'What's his last name?'

'I don't know.'

That's great that he didn't tell her...but somehow I had to figure him out. What game was he playing? I needed to find out...soon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

769K 24.7K 68
HIGHEST RANKINGS: #1 in teenagegirl #3 in anxiety Maddie Rossi is only 13, and has known nothing but pain and heartbreak her entire life. Only a shel...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
139K 5K 61
An Indian brother-sister/family story. The Singhania family is the most prestigious family in the country. Together, they seemed to be invincible...
16.2M 545K 35
Down-on-her-luck Aubrey gets the job offer of a lifetime, with one catch: her ex-husband is her new boss. *** Aubrey...