SPIRITED (The Blended Hearts...

By jessicajimmies

We don't become champions in one day. It is a battle we fight for a long time. We strive, we strain, we lead... More

Welcome Dear Reader
AUTHOR
Dedication
FROM THE CHARACTERS
OPENING
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTYONE
CHAPTER TWENTYTWO
CHAPTER TWENTYTHREE
CHAPTER TWENTYFOUR
CHAPTER TWENTYFIVE
NOTE

CHAPTER THREE

13 6 0
By jessicajimmies

" Rise and shine " Conrad opened the windows and the sun flashed inside; it's golden but violent rays landing on Daniel's exposed face.

" I hate your nature!" screeched Daniel hiding in the comfort of his blanket.

Conrad yanked it down and pulled him out of bed. They prepared and went for breakfast in the hall.

"Dash!

Throw that bucket

Discard the gloves

peel off the stench

of beans and eggs;

rotten in, out

Dirt and stench

sticking out in the air

Mop, clean, blow

Blow them out

When the belts

At the waist

touch the belly and

Clarify your best need

when you let the job go

People put them

Dash!

Throw that bucket

Right on the wall

Leave a mark

Discard the gloves

Disinfect the flow

Laugh at the sound

That comes with age,

Bending at the waist

Back sore

Bones break

Dirt and dust and.....

For.... ever...... "

The janitor, Mr. Kitone sang in a melodious voice in the far corner of the hall as he swept the floor. He always waited for them to wake up to start his morning work in the hall. Not that they cared. Mr. Kitone, as his name said had a talent in making poems songs. His beautiful voice always brought them joy and made them start the day happy.

Today, he was singing about his hate for the job. But everyone knew it was to make them laugh.

Conrad pulled a chair from under the table and placed it opposite Jedda. His sister, Nowel, was just next to him on the left and Daniel on the right.

"Today, Mr. Kitone is singing a great creation of J E D D A." Jedda sang whimsically on the opposite side from Conrad. She had an absolute zeal for poetry; infact, for everything composed. She also wrote short stories and had a great sense of humour. She got inspiration from art, nature, love, movies, and basically from Mr. Kitone. He and she were good friends and one would think that they had something going on. But Mr. Kitone was more of a father figure to her. She had a special talent and was gifted as the literature teacher always said.

" I honour plate as my father,

for he gives me food and a means

to eat

Plate knows everything

for he knows my best dishes

Plate is wise

For he carries fried eggs and sausages......"Jedda said , her hand on her chest and a dreamy smile on her face.

" Fork is strong

and four legged

with a long neck

for me to hold

Thank you plate

for carrying fork with you

You are very good

I love you " chimed in everyone to help her finish her 'love letter.' This was Jedda's mantra every day and everyone on the table had mastered every single word with heart and soul.

"Jeeeez Jedda your mantra and that weird face you put on every morning are really scary." Nowel said with a fake frown.

" Maybe she is going to marry plate one day Daniel said laughing.

" Her love for food is indescribable" Zack commented as he helped himself with a cup of tea and a plate of fried eggs and sausages.

Jedda just looked at Conrad and smiled.

She didn't say a word or even try to reply them. They did this everyday.

" He removed his handkerchief,

dried his face

bowing and

looking at his feet,

he removed the dry bread crumbs......" Jedda said grinning as he did what she said.

" Give if you want blessings!

Everyone loves a cheerful giver." Jedda put her hand out for Conrad.

" Yeah right!" Conrad said as he put his handkerchief in her hands.

" Give and it shall be given back!

clean and.......

perfect

If you don't give,

You breaking code!" Jedda continued dramatically.

"the holy book.... for one...says,

Give wholesomely...." This time, Conrad burst into fits of laughter as everyone fell in step with them, also laughing.

" Leave it to Jedda to make every moment funny." said Zack. But no one listened to him as they entered class still laughing.

Jedda and Nowel moved to the front seats next to Betsy while Conrad and Daniel continued to the back to seat with Janie.

Excitement filled Conrad as his best teacher, Miss. Sandie entered the classroom. They all stood up to greet her as they did every day during her lessons. She was elegant, affable, compassionate, lively, intelligent, and exuberant. Indeed, the best teacher at school. Everyone loved her and respected her. She made her way to the board and picked a piece of chalk scribbling LITERATURE.

" Hey kids! Today we are to continue with the poems you wrote. Note that this contributes twenty percent to your final exam and when you hear your name, please make it to the front. Miss. Sandie said making her way to the teachers table.

" We start with ........ hmmm.... Jedda!" She said excitedly and sat down. Jedda made her way to the front of the class.

"Hello everyone!" She greeted them in her most joyous voice. She smiled as her eyes kept looming around until they landed on Conrad who was talking to Janie with his head on the desk facing her as she laughed. She looked away to where Nowel sat. She hated the fact that he liked sitting with such a minx.

" I wrote a poem about an obsession. Obsession is an irrational motive for performing trivial or repetitive actions against your will. You can be obsessed with food, driving, singing, shopping, dancing, or a person. she continued ardently."

" I reach my hand up high

yearning, craving and in

near need to combust

to wither, to breakdown,

to die......

My love doesn't see me

I call the name

but the sound dies in space

the wind goes with him

I run, I run

The distance is too much

I take a step,

Then another

and another

and ANOTHER!

Now am on the edge

Tears fall in rain

Lungs empty

I stop breathing,

Feeling

I stop!

I close my eyes,

I open them

And there he is

There! There it is.......

My love, my life

Ohhhh." Loud hooting and claps erupted in the room and Jedda opened her eyes. They landed on Conrad and he smiled. She gave him a back a sad smile, bowed and handed in her work. Her poem had a lot of emotion in it. She was not yet finished when she heard noise that brought her back.

" Wow" said Betsy as she sat back in her chair.

" Hey" Nowel called her, her fingers coming up to rub her tearstained cheeks. She had not realized that she had been crying. She turned and gave her best friend a smile that was fake to her too. Nowel knew better not to question the act.

When classes ended, Jedda stayed behind, walked to their class balcony and looked beyond the trees just behind the senior one block. The view of the school from Jem block was the best as she could see everything clearly from up there. She closed her eyes taking in the beautiful atmosphere and the warmth from the sun. The evening sun glazed down on her beautiful skin adding a slight yglow and warming her from the wind. She opened them when she felt the warmth vanishing. It was turning to night. She saw vehicles speed the far highway flashing blinding lights indicating their presence in the fine evening.

For some reason, she always found this spot beautiful and romantic. A perfect place to be inspired to write perfect memories. Smiling to herself, she turned her gaze to the students that flooded the compound. Some lingered around the administration block, their classroom blocks in small groups talking to teachers or laughing at their friends jokes while the rest queued to their dormitories. They all looked happy or that's what she saw in her vicinity. JF Kennedy was an all boarding school, so they added to about two thousand students minus the teachers and the rest of the school stuff. She stayed there watching the compound empty as everyone disappeared to their dormitories. Evening preps were always an option to everyone which was one of the best things she liked about JF Kennedy.

" Hey...." someone said joining her on the balcony.

" Hi." she replied simply not looking back to see who was disturbing her peace.

" Why are you here alone?" This time she turned to look at the person behind her. She sighed when she saw Conrad.

" Just thinking..." Jedda said looking peaceful and stoic. Conrad nodded in understanding. He moved to stand next to her on the rails.

" It was a great poem ......the .... the one...you.... you presented. You are really good at composition and presentation." Conrad said nervously as Jedda looked at him intently without blinking.

" You liked it?" She said her face breaking into a smile.

" I was.... It was...wow! It was a good poem that possibly a poet wrote and not just any learner. You are the best. You know that?" Conrad said inching closer to her and touching her face. She looked at him with hope and emotion clear in her eyes.

" So now you going to be cheesy." Jedda said turning again to look at the sky. It was becoming dark outside.

"I actually wrote it purposefully. It was just a feeling I had to express and out it there. You know I always write to get things off my mind." She turned to look at him. He was staring up the sky listening to her.

" I know. it is something you have been doing since form one and I have learned that you only write when inspired." Conrad said emphasizing each word.

" And for your case, when you are talking to food." He added teasing her. " It is weird" he said with a teasing grin.

" When you start conversation with fork and plate" he started laughing and Jedda joined in.

" Yeah!" she said slapping his arm playfully." I also write when am confused, broken, bored, happy, sad, obsessed..."she trailed off laughing at herself.

" I actually write all the time. It is like a hobby. I get inspiration from flowers, scenes, trees, water, curtains and maybe from everything. She said looking further at the trees in the field just below them. " I write according to the atmosphere. I write my mind. I don't hide it! It's like a book everyone can read ..."she finished talking and her gaze wandered in space before returning to Conrad who was now next to her.

" You are so cute...." He breathed out as he looked at her. They were so close but Conrad ached to be closer to her. They had grown to be closer to each other and felt a connection as time had passed with Jedda in his family. Sometimes it was hard to keep away from each other for so long. Conrad looked at her analysing every movement she made as she struggled to put a steady rhythm to her racing heart.

"Boom...!!!!" Zack plumped down the stairs landing on his own butt. Jedda and Conrad turned to look at him and they burst into fits of laughter. Zack stood up holding his bottom as if it were broken and might fall off as he limped with a funny expression on his face which only made them laugh more to his disadvantage.

"Sorry man but that was some scene! I can't wait to tell Daniel. Conrad said still laughing.

" And I can't wait to tell everyone about Jerad" Zack retorted.

" What?" Conrad asked suddenly confused.

" Well... I was seeing you two" Zack smirked pointing his finger between them.

" Oh! Then you deserve what you got." Conrad patted him on the back. Zack glared at him and pushed open the door to their classroom.

Conrad scratched the back of his neck looking at the door where Zack disappeared into. Then turned his attention back to Jedda who was staring at him with her back to the railings.

" I..... I ...... " His voice faltered as he smiled nervously biting his lower lip. He pointed his finger to the class where Zack entered. Jedda just nodded her head in understanding and turned to live.

" Hey......" He caught her hand as she made the first step on the stairs. "We need to talk. But now you can go. " He placed a small kiss on her cheek and hugged her before releasing her. "Good night "

Doting on the small jolt of hope, she skipped to dorm smiling to herself.

"May be someday Jerad will be real " She fell on her single sized mattress and closed her eyes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

137K 5.8K 32
I don't wanna be the left out pregnant sob story! I'm twenty three years old and can make up my own mind - Ella It's just that he's not just my boyf...
10.9K 167 74
"You don't want me..." I breathed, selfishly leaning into his touch. But I quickly pull away. "I'm different and so not your type," I muttered, looki...
85.3K 5.1K 50
| COMPLETED | ~ | Chapters are being Edited | #Wattys2020 ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~~•~~•~•~~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~• He was a soldier, running towar...
45.6K 2.2K 66
The Girl with a hope to conquer the freedom she has always desired of is set on a journey to achieve her goals. She lost herself, her hobbies, her em...