Wild At Heart (Zuko)

By Lone-wolf-fanfics

Nature-benders are an incredibly rare and dangerous type of bender that is thought to have become extinct alo... More

Kalini 'Kali' Ling
Powers and Belongings
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Ba Sing Se (Outfits)
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
End of Segment
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Part Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Kali AI Art
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six

Chapter Three

17.9K 694 29
By Lone-wolf-fanfics

Lightning strikes the night sky, illuminating the village in the darkness. Illuminating the small figure sat on the porch to a house. Kali sits on the porch, her back against the wall as she stares out at the village. The night is when she can do this without being stared at. When the darkness hides her green skin. The door to the house opens and Iroh steps out. Taking a worried breath as he stares ahead. Something is clearly bothering him. He turns around to head back inside and almost jumps out of his skin seeing Kali sat there. He relaxes though. Relieved. He thought she'd left without saying goodbye.

"Can you not sleep?" He asks, she looks up at him and then shakes her head. She tried, but the circumstances of this setup make her nervous. She keeps waiting for something to happen. Something bad to happen. Because it always does. He tilts his head slightly. "You put your collar back on" Iroh points out.

"I don't feel...right" She admits as she adjusts the collar. She knows what it and the gauntlets on her wrists mean, but she feels safer wearing them. She can't even explain why. "Without it" She keeps her eyes away from him and down at her lap. He watches her. Studies her. She's just a lost little girl. Taken advantage of at every corner of her life. She doesn't know what to do with her freedom so she goes back to the familiar, her chains.

"No one should live a life in chains," He tells her. She looks out at the sky and shrugs. It is all she's know. She literally doesn't know what else to do. What else can she do?

.................

Midday sun streams through the window and onto the table where Iroh gathers with Zuko and Kali. Zuko looking exhausted and exasperated. It's been a long morning with his uncle, but he is also starting to see the benefit to Kali, she is like an Iroh barrier, saving Zuko from some of his uncle's rather boisterous and loud personality. Iroh empties a bag of seashells on a table. He lifts a few, inspecting them, showing them to Kali, as if she wasn't there when he found them.

"Look at these magnificent shells!" Iroh cheers as he holds up another shell. "I'll enjoy these keepsakes for years to come," Iroh tells them, Kali fights a smile because, for someone that bought her, he's rather cheerful and happy.

"We don't need any more useless things" Zuko comments, casting a look at Kali whose jaw twitches in annoyance. She knows he's not as on board with what his uncle did as Iroh is himself. "You forget we have to carry everything ourselves now....unless your new friend is going to help"

"Hello, brother. Uncle...." The two men spin to find a young woman sitting at the table now. Azula. Zuko's younger sister. "Oh, and friend" Azula adds looking at Kali who lets out a breath, hanging her head to hide what can be seen of her face.

"Angry girl" Kali whispers as she turns slightly, trying to shield herself, avoiding looking at Azula.

"Oh" Zuko realises that Azula is who she meant with her vision, Zuko then glares at Azula, stepping forward to greet her, also conveniently or even subconsciously placing himself between the two girls. "What are you doing here?" Azula seems utterly unaffected by their glares as she toys with the seashell in her hand.

"In my country, we exchange a pleasant 'hello' before asking questions" She gets up and walks over to face Zuko. "Have you become uncivilized so soon, Zuzu?"

"Don't call me that!" He snaps furiously.

"To what do we owe this honour?" Iroh asks as he moves, just like Zuko, making sure that there is a barrier between Azula and Kali.

"Hmm... must be a family trait" Azula points out. "Both of you so quick to get to the point" She shatters one of Iroh's shells with her sharp nails on this last word. Iroh's face darkens. "I've come with a message from home. Father's changed his mind. Family is suddenly very important to him. He's heard rumours of plans to overthrow him—treacherous plots. Family are the only ones you can really trust" Her voice and face soften but Iroh doesn't buy it, neither does Kali and she doesn't know the girl. "Father regrets your banishment. He wants you home" Zuko turns to look out the window. "Did you hear me? You should be happy. Excited. Grateful. I just gave you great news"

"I'm sure your brother just needs a moment to..." Iroh tries but Azula is having none of it.

"Don't interrupt, Uncle!" She then turns to address Zuko again, walking closer to him. "I still haven't heard my thank you. I am not a messenger. I didn't have to come all this way"

"Father regrets? He... wants me back?" Zuko asks her.

"I can see you need time to take this in. I'll come to call on you tomorrow. Good evening" Azula's eyes linger on Kali before she leaves. Iroh seems thoughtful as he watches the door closing. He is not inclined to believe Azula's statement and smells issues with it.

.......

Kali follows along behind Iroh and Zuko as they head towards the village bathhouse. She didn't want to overstep by listening in to their conversation regarding family matters, but she is close enough to hear them, even if she tries to block it out. It's rude to listen in when it's none of her business. She will be a little sad to see Iroh leave, he's security and safety and without him she will be on the streets, looking after herself.

"We're going home" Zuko states, happy about the turn of events, he's clearly been dying to return to his home. Kali doesn't know what happened, but for his family, his father to turn on him, he must have done something terrible. "After three long years. It's unbelievable"

"It is unbelievable" Iroh agrees, carrying a pile of clothing in his hands. "I have never known my brother to regret anything"

"Did you listen to Azula?" Zuko asks. "Father's realized how important family is to him. He cares about me"

"I care about you" Iroh argues. "And if Ozai wants you back... well, I think it may not be for the reasons you imagine" Zuko turns his back on his uncle, defensively.

"You don't know how my father feels about me" He stiffens. "You don't know anything"

"Zuko, I only meant that in our family things are not always what they seem" Zuko whirls around angrily and faces Iroh, leaning in as he accuses him.

"I think you are exactly what you seem: a lazy, mistrustful, shallow old man who has always been jealous of his brother" Kali gasps a little at that. Zuko turns and walks away. Iroh looks on sadly, then closes his eyes, he then looks at Kali. She gives him a look back, shrugging slightly before she nods for him to go after Zuko. Iroh touches her arm and nods. They both know what this means. That he will leave her behind. But family is important. She knows that. Even if she's never had one. He turns and walks away, heading to follow after Zuko. Iroh glances back over his shoulder at Kali. She keeps her eyes down as she fights the fear rising in her. She's scared of going out there on her own. Iroh looks down, conflicted and torn before he leaves.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

116K 3.2K 18
Having discovered her worst nightmare had come true, Aya is still traveling with her older brother and sister and the Avatar. Aya finally got her wis...
19.5K 528 29
Where your friends become your enemies, and your enemies become your friends 🌊 🌳 πŸ”₯ πŸŒͺ Uncle had told her stories of the old days, when she car...
12.2K 502 20
ᡃ αΆ»α΅˜α΅α΅’ Λ£ Κ³α΅‰α΅ƒα΅ˆα΅‰Κ³ - 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩π₯𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐝 - "π™ΊπšŽπšŽπš™ πš’πš 𝚊 πšœπšŽπšŒπš›πšŽπš..πš™πš•πšŽπšŠπšœπšŽ?" 𝙸 πš•πš˜πš˜πš”πšŽπš 𝚊𝚝 π™Έπš›πš˜πš‘ πšœπšŒπšŠπš›πšŽπš. βžͺ A story about a y...
7.3K 303 16
Following the storyline of season 2, follows Zuko and Raven as they try to discover truths about themselves, only to find that their problems may ver...