Splendid Fall

By marcyswales17

Little bird, if they were try to break your wings ....remind them that you have claws too. More

Pangaea
Part 1, Ch. 1 Intruder
Ch. Privacy
Ch.3 Wine
Ch.4 Golden heart
Ch. 5 Stained
Ch.6 Mirror Mirror
Ch.7 Ships
Ch.8 Red and Gold
Ch.8 Six Thousand Denarii
Ch.10 Glass Palace
Ch. 11 The Eel and The Cave
Ch.13 Sunrise
Ch.14 Illusion
Ch.15 Frozen Rain
Ch.16 New World Past Life
Ch.17 A sign
Ch.18 Maps
Ch.19 A grand Show
Ch.20 Proper Introduction
Ch.21 Potential
Ch.22 A Thousand Words
Ch.23 Dust Storm
Ch.24 Sweet Sweet Angel
Ch.25 The fourth Gate
Ch.26 One and the same
Ch.27 Monsters
Ch.28 Mind-Link
Ch.29 Spring in Full Bloom
Ch.30 Desert Rose
Ch.31 Old Friend
Ch.32 Madness
Ch.33 Glass Bubble
Ch. 34 The crown is heavy
Ch. 35 Crushed Wings
Ch.36 Home
Ch. 37 Lost in Time
Ch.38 Family Rules
Ch. 39 I'll be home for dinner
Ch. 40 The light
Ch. 41 Secrets
Ch. 42 Drain the Desert
Ch. 43 Bloodstains
Ch.44 Surviver
Ch. 45 Tale of two cities
Ch. 46 Sanity in insanity

Ch.12 Baby Bird

3.2K 388 225
By marcyswales17

Chapter 12

Birdie stared at the red dress in front of her as if she expected it to leap up and strike her like a snake. She sat with her knees drawn to her chest and her arms tightly wrapped around herself as she silently nibbled on a slice of apple.

Over and over she tried to open her mind-link. But every time she thought she had a grasp of the energy that usually freely sprang through her mind, she was cut off. No doubt it was the brass around her wrists that blocked her from her abilities.

"They'll be here any minute," Jasmeen said, looking at the girl sitting on the bed through the mirror.

Birdie did not move. She continued to nibble on the apple slice as Jasmeen carried on with her makeup and hair. After several minutes, Mina walked in with her arms full of freshly ironed dresses for Jasmeen.

"Are you girls ready?" She asked.

"I am," Jasmeen shrugged. "Not bird head."

"Birdie!" Mina gasped, looking at the girl's unruly hair. "You were supposed to be ready ten minutes ago."

"I'm not going," Birdie said, feeling her insides shake as if she was a child.

The two women in the room looked at each other and then back at the silver haired girl on the bed. Mina threw down the dresses and marched over to the bed.

"Who gave you an option?" She demanded.

Birdie looked up at the woman, "I did."

"And who do you think you are?"

"I am Birdie Afreen Heyder," Birdie said, taking in a long deep breath. "I am not an object that can be bought or sold at the will of others. I will not be Tamzin's plaything."

Mina gazed back at the girl, baffled. Jasmeen giggled behind her as she put on her long gold earrings.

"She's funny," Jasmeen said.

"Listen here, your majesty," Mina's voice laced with irritation. "The guards will be here to take you both in ten minutes. Get up. Get ready."

"No."

"Yes!" Mina grabbed Birdie's arm and pulled her to her feet. "Stupid girl, do you have any idea what they wil do to you if you disobey them?"

"Kill me?" Birdie asked. "Death has to be better than this."

Plus, death means I might have a shot at seeing Kiara or Killian, Birdie thought to herself.

"You'll beg for death," Jasmeen said, carrying on about her business.

Birdie glared at the girl in the mirror. Now that the shock was wearing off, Birdie felt the hollowness in her chest be filled with rage and fire. She knew with the brass on she would never be able to defend herself against the fey. But that didn't mean she would go down without a fight.

Her baba didn't raise her to sit still and wait for help to arrive. She was Heyder's daughter. Chaos was in her blood. And they'll be damned if they think she was just another jinn they were going to keep under their feet.

"Birdie," Mina called to the stubborn girl. "Put on the dress. Let me fix your hair."

"No," Birdie said.

"Jasmeen, you talk some sense into her."

"What do you want me to do?" Jasmeen asked. "I have my own makeup to fix."

"It was bad enough I had to deal with one," Mina hissed like a kettle. "Now I have this one on top of my head too."

Seeing the years suddenly age the woman, Jasmeen's heart took pity. Mina was the only one who had ever been kind to her.

"Birdie," Jasmeen looked at the girl standing beside the bed. "Put on the dress."

"No," Birdie said once more.

"Put on the dress or else you'll be -"

Jasmeen didn't have a chance to finish as the doors to the room barged opened and a group of guards walked in. Mina quickly scurried out of the way as Jasmeen threw down her makeup brush and jumped to her feet.

One of the guards stepped forward and raised the glass face shield to reveal his unearthly looks. His eyes moved over Jasmeen and then Birdie.

"She's not ready," he said.

"Observant, aren't we?" Birdie arched her brow.

Her insides shook and her palms grew sweaty. She wanted to hurl all over the floor but she was determined to not break down again. She was done being the object they were pushing around. If she didn't stick up for herself now, then she was going to find herself in a very very very unpleasant situation.

The guard's eyes narrowed. He reached back and touched the hilt of his brass baton as if to send a warning to Birdie.

"If you would be so kind enough to allow us just a few more minutes to get her ready," Mina bowed her head and spoke up.

"I'm not going," Birdie said, earning a pinch from Mina.

"Jasmeen," the guard didn't take his eyes off of Birdie. "Follow the others. The king is waiting for you."

With a small bow, Jasmeen hurried out of the room with two of the guards. She looked back over her shoulder at Mina as the chubby woman silently prayed.

"You wish to be presented to Prince Tamzin like this?" The guard asked, taking a step towards Birdie.

"No," Birdie sighed. "I wish to be presented to the prince with my brass cuffs off so I can blast his face and then stab him and watch him choke on his own blood."

Mina gasped as the guard's face twisted. He raised his hand with his baton ready to strike Birdie. Birdie dug her nails into her palm, ready to take on the blow. Her eyes watched the baton move through the air and slowly be lowered towards her head. She bit down on her bottom lip and held her breath.

Just as the baton was about to deliver it's blow, the guard stopped.

Birdie peered at the shimmering metal in the air for a brief second to make sure it had actually stopped before looking at the guard. The adrenaline running through her body made her breathing labor and her cheeks glow pink.

The muscle on the guard's jaw flexed as if he was counting down in his mind. He slowly lowered the baton and tucked it into his belt loop before grabbing Birdie by the arm.

"Let go of me!" Birdie tried to push him off.

"B-Birdie," Mina stuttered, trying to tell the girl not to make things too difficult for herself.

Birdie placed her free hand on the guard's shoulder and pressed down. She used him as leverage to bring her knee up and strike him in his groin. As the guard fell forward in pain, he let go of her arm. Birdie began to back up when suddenly another guard stepped forward and grabbed her by her neck.

Birdie was about to swing her elbows back and hit the man's ribs when her wrists were suddenly bound behind her back. The brass cuffs heated up and stuck to each other like magnets.

Mina fanned herself dramatically as she wiped the sweat off her forehead. She looked as if she would pass out of the messy bed as the two guards began to drag Birdie out of the room.

"Let go of me!" Birdie yelled.

Her feet barely touched the ground as she was moved through the halls. No one paused long enough to see what was happening as she was transported from the servant quarters to the royal residence wing. Birdie knew exactly how the place would be laid out. All palaces were designed the same way. If she paid attention, then she would be able to locate the second set of servant stairs and exit at the opposite side of the palace. If only she could get away far enough from the guards...

"No,no,no,no!" Birdie tried to grab her feet into the ground as the guards carried her into a private chamber.

They dropped her in the middle of the room as if she was poisonous. Her hands were still tied behind her back, making the bones in her arm ache. Flipping her hair over her head, Birdie looked up and began to scan her surroundings.

She sat in what appeared to be a living room. One wall was covered with shelves heavy with books while the rest of the walls all opened up to a balcony that wrapped around the room. Birdie could see clear blue skies and hear the sound of water rushing by. A harp played somewhere, it's tunes mixing in with the water. The sheer curtains around the balcony blew in the wind as the guards backed away.

"Get back here!" Birdie said, trying to look over her shoulder.

As she turned she realized one of the guards had stayed back. She narrowed her eyes at him as the doors closed.

"What do you want?" Birdie scowled.

Slowly, the guard removed his helmet.

His messy black hair fell over his eyes before he raised his governed hand and pushed it out of his navy blue eyes. Birdie recognized him immediately.

"Would your mother be happy with you?" She asked the guard. "Does she know what you and the other white roaches are doing to innocent people behind these glass walls?"

The guard sat his helmet down on the table beside him and began to slowly remove his gloves.

"Yes," he said, with a soft chuckle. "She knows exactly what we do here."

"Then she is as vile and heartless as you too," Birdie said in anger.

The guard leaned back against the table and stretched his leg out in front of him. He folded his arms over his chest and slightly narrowed his eyes.

Birdie heard the brass cuffs hiss and then loosen up. They dropped to the floor, freeing her hands.

Not wasting a second, Birdie jumped to her feet. She eyed the cuffs on the floor suspiciously and rubbed her wrists. Calling to her magic, she started to heal her marked and bruised skin before trying to open her minder link again.

Hello! She called out. Is anyone there?

"Go ahead," the guard said.

Birdie's eyes moved up to him.

Hello? Some one, the same woman, answered Birdie back. Are you Bir-

"You said you wished to be presented to the prince with your brass cuffs off so you can blast his face and then stab him and watch him choke on his own blood," the guard said calmly. "Well....get on with it."

Birdie narrowed her eyes and focused all her attention on the guard. Her mind-link shut off as she glared at those calm navy blue eyes.

"You..." she said. "You're....you're the prince?"

The guard smiled.

"Tamzin?" Birdie asked to confirm.

"The one and only."

Without hesitation, Birdie lifted both of her hands. She pulled on her magic with all her strength, despite knowing what the fey in front of her could do. Her palms warmed and began to glow as she released a raw stream of poisonous energy.

Tamzin did not move. He sat still watching Birdie.

The air in the room heated up like an oven. The curtains all blew out, waving like flags as the burning light from Birdie's palms raced towards Tamzin.

But before they could touch him, the light reflected off an invisible wall and turned into a swarm of butterflies with glowing wings.

Birdie did not let the fey's tricks distract her. She stepped away from the butterflies and raised her hand once more. Chanting a spell her grandmother had taught her, Birdie focused on all the energy around Tamzin. She gripped onto it like a rough rope and tugged with all her might.

Tamzin arched his brow as if to ask her if she was really being serious. His calmness mocked Birdie. She tugged harder, but instead of the prince falling to the ground, she was pulled forward as if he had reversed her spell.

Birdie groaned as she came face to face with Tamzin. They shared the same air as a butterfly with it's glowing wing flew past them, it's wings brushing past both of their noses.

"Let go of me," Birdie said through her teeth, feeling a strong presence against her back.

"It's not me, little bird," Tamzin said. "It's you."

"Fuck off," Birdie raised her hand to strike the man across the face. But instead, her hand went against her wishes and she struck herself.

"You're going to hurt yourself," Tamzin said.

"What did you do?" Birdie pushed back against the energy behind her.

She did not want any part of her to touch the fey. The slither of space between them was dangerously closing in and out as Birdie struggled.

"Stop fighting," Tamzin recommended. "You're only going to tire yourself out."

"Don't tell me what to do."

"Okay."

Tamzin took in a deep breath and settled down to wait. He took a seat on the edge of the table and once again folded his arms over his chest. His narrow dark eyes were unreadable as Birdie stood struggling with the spell she had casted.

Birdie was unsure of how much time had passed as she glared at Tamzin, wishing he would drop dead at her feet. He said nothing, did nothing as his snake-like eyes waited for her patiently.

"What do you want?" Birdie asked, dismissing her spell and feeling the pressure disappear.

Tamzin waited until she caught her breath and straightened up. His gaze danced over the small scar on the edge of her mouth and the fading handprint on her cheek.

"What do you want from me?" Birdie asked. "Do you speak?"

"What happened to your face?"

"What?"

Tamzin raised a finger and pointed to Birdie's right cheek. They stood so close, birdie had to lean back to make sure his hand did not touch her.

"What do you think happened?" Birdie narrowed her eyes and spit.

"So you have a habit of not listening."

Birdie did not reply. She bit down on her jaw and dug her nails into her finger.

"Do you disobey everyone?" Tamzin asked.

Birdie did not answer.

"I asked you a question.....Birdie."

Birdie felt her skin crawl. Her name sounded like a joke on his lips. She could almost hear and picture him holding back a laughter.

How dare he? She thought, feeling her anger rise in her chest.

Her name was beautiful. He had no right to make it sound like a joke. He had no right to laugh at her.

Birdie lunged forward and grabbed the small letter opener on the desk. She raised her hand and aimed for the small patch of skin that stuck out from beneath Tamzin's uniform. But just like before, she was just a breath away from her goal when Tamzin grabbed her wrist and spun her around, lowering the letter opener against her chest.

"Who taught you to fight?" He asked, twisting her wrist until she dropped the sharp weapon.

Birdie bit back a whimper as his fingers wrapped around her wrists. She felt her eyes water as the pain shot through her arm.

"Will you answer my questions or will you keep trying to harm yourself?" Tamzin released Birdie's wrist and stepped back. "I can put the cuffs back on if you don't stop."

Quick as lightning, Birdie grabbed the letter opener off the floor and swung back. She aimed for Tamzin's leg but hit only air.

"Ah, you piece of shit!" Birdie yelled as she felt her arm switch direction and aim for her own leg.

"Birdie," Tamzin raised his hand and Birdie's arm froze. "Get off the floor."

"No!" Birdie said through her teeth. "Screw you, you blood sucking bastard."

"I am not a vampire," Tamzin said slowly.

"So you're a bastard then?" Birdie asked, looking back at him. "You look like a bastard."

Something shifted behind those Navy blue eyes. Birdie could tell she had struck a nerve....and she wasn't going to let it go.

Slowly, rising off the floor, she let go of the letter opener and turned to face Tamzin.

"I heard about you," she said. "Your uncle is also your stepfather, isn't he?"

Whatever Birdie thought she saw in Tamzin's eyes was long gone. He gazed back at her with amusement as she continued.

"How did that happen?" She asked. "I mean....your mom and your uncle....was the attraction always there or was he the one to lend her a kind shoulder when her dear poor husband di-"

"You may leave," Tamzin said, his expression never changing.

"You don't like talking about your family, do you?" Birdie laughed. "Why?....is it because it's more fucked up than you let people see?"

Tamzin remained silent.

"I asked you a question....Tamzin," Birdie said.

"Wren," the corner of Tamzin's lips curved up slightly.

"What?" Birdie asked in confusion.

"My name is Wren."

"So you're....you're not Tamzin?"

"I am."

"But you just said your name is Wren."

Birdie took a small step back as the man before her pushed off the table leisurely. He never broke eye contact with her as the doors to the room opened and two guards walked in.

The cuffs flew back onto Birdie's wrists and she felt the pain return. The guards seized her by her arms and began to carry her out of the room as Tamzin...Wren...whoever he was, turned away and walked out onto the balcony.

_________________________

Heyder, call your men off, Maksim demanded through his mind-link. Damn it, Heyder! You're breaking all the protocols of the treaties.

But Heyder was beyond listening to what the Lycan king had to say. He stood his ground with Ali and Adan beside him as Elvie, the pixie queen, glared at him from the other side of the table.

The door to the room opened as Hayden walked in, followed by a group of guards from the Tyveer Court. His flames disappeared and he turned to his human form, catching his father's eyes.

"I told you," Elvie said, looking from Hayden to Heyder. "Your daughter is not here."

"I don't believe you," Heyder replied.

"What could I possibly want with your daughter, Sultan?" The pixie spit.

"I know your kind," Heyder took a step forward and leaned across the table. He took advantage of the way Elvie's eyes wavered and narrowed his eyes, causing them to grow dark.

"She's not here, Heyder," Elvie once again.

"For your sake, I hope you are telling the truth," Heyder pulled away and towered over the Pixie. "Because if I sense that my baby bird is here....I will burn it all to the ground and dig her up from your ashes."   

What do you think? :) 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

159K 7.2K 27
"You're a killer, a monster. There is no 'master' for you. Everyone that loved you is dead. Because of you! Don't flatter yourself. No one will ever...
18.3K 403 32
Dear little Robin you won't fly away the Talon is after its only prey. Hear my words little Robin that I shall slay, I'll pluck those feathers of you...
32 0 20
The place is filled with magic and even in magic why can't a woman succeed. sure she will Asterin will break all the stereotypes and will shine brigh...
2.7M 51.9K 69
"It is amazing how someone can break your heart, yet you still love them with all the little pieces, and those unforgettable special moments.."