Dear Dakota | Academic Rivalr...

By booksbymina

❝There is nothing to be sorry about, Dylans. It's not your fault. You didn't do anything.❞ I crave academic v... More

Zero | Character Aesthetic & Authors Note
Prologue
One | Note
Two | Reunited
Three | Late
Four | Target
Five | Tied
Six | Intimidated
Seven | Storms of Deja Vu
Eight | Strawberry
Nine | Math Test
Ten | Blank
Eleven | Keychain
Twelve | Strawberry's & Reese's
Thirteen | Project
Fourteen | Do It
Fifteen | The Outsiders
Seventeen | Sibling Confessions
Eighteen | Haunted House 2.0
Nineteen | Confessions
Twenty | To Scare or To Be Scared
Twenty One | Finally
Twenty Two | Results
Twenty Three | The Notes
Twenty Four | Thanksgiving Break
Twenty Five | Trip With The Reid's
Twenty Six | Welcome To My City
Twenty Seven | Florida Boys
Twenty Eight | Syracuse
Twenty Nine | Anything For Her
Thirty | Always My Rival
Epilogue | Dear Dakota
Goodbye Reid's

Sixteen | Window Boy

22.7K 1.2K 6.8K
By booksbymina

N Y L A D Y L A N S

The only class I actually love working in groups in is math class. I have my three best friends and I don't need anyone else.

Out of Delaney's request, we are working in the hallway. I am sure the AC is broken because it is disgustingly humid in the classroom. And I know what humidity feels like. Especially after living in the South for five years.

I keep writing my answers down as the other three are talking about going to the Presley Haunted House next weekend. I have an essay to do and it is due next Friday at 11:59. My mind automatically rejects the idea.

Speaking of essay, I am more than halfway done. If I continue writing at this speed I should be done on Tuesday, giving me the rest of the days after to edit and revise.

Delaney runs off to the bathroom leaving me with the two guys. I reach over and take Atlas' paper and copy the rest of the answers down. He is way too accelerated for this type of stuff. I take my time during math problems but he is the speedy one in the group.

Dakota has already put his paper away in his binder, not sparing a second glance at it.

I lean against the cold white wall, bending my knees, leaning my binder against my thighs.

"I am going to puke. I just saw a couple giving off way too much PDA in the hallway." Delaney says, sitting next to me.

School is not the place to be making out with people. Seriously, just wait till you get home. Seeing people sucking on each other's faces is not what I want to see at seven in the morning.

Delaney's voice lowers down to a whisper. "I forgot to show you this. I woke up to a bunch of text messages from At this morning. He was so embarrassed because of last night and I couldn't stop laughing." She shows me the pictures he sent her. "He told me he accidentally had flash on and blinded himself."

I can't help the laugh coming out of my mouth when I scroll to these text messages.

DELANEY REID MY DAD HEARD FROM ANNELIESE WHAT HAPPENED AND HE IS MAKING ME WATCH THE MOVIE WITH MY MOM... AGAINNNNN.

HE SAID HE WONDERS WHO HE GOT IT FROM!! WTF IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN???

UPDATE MY MOM IS MAKING ME A SODA POP COSTUME

HELLOOOOOO LANEYYYYY ARE YOU SERIOUSLY SLEEPING???

LANEYYYYYY

Fine. I see how it is. Goodnight. See you in the morning.

"Oh no..." Atlas stresses as he zooms something up on his phone. Being my nosey self I sit up straighter, wanting to see what is making him have this regretful look on his face. He frantically types on his phone then turns his screen to show us a picture. His face turns straight but the rest of us can't help but crack a smile.

His mom sent him a picture of the outfit he is dared to wear on Halloween.

"Now that is something you should wear at the Haunted House this weekend. It will scare everyone including the kids and Adults." Dakota comments and Atlas covers his eyes, shaking his head in disbelief.

"I didn't think she was being serious."

I take a second look at the picture. "Why are you complaining? You can pull off a red flannel."

"With Jeans?" He stresses. "I hate wearing jeans."

Delaney interferes. "Sweatpants won't complete the look, either. You have to go all out."

"But the jeans..."

"Wear blue sweatpants." Dakota offers. Is he serious? No way. That would look hideous with a red flannel.

Delaney pinches her nose bridge. "Dakota stay out of this. You have no fashion sense."

"And you do?"

She looks beyond offended. "I don't know about you but I think I have amazing style." She pulls her phone out and scrolls through her pictures in her camera roll.

When we hear the classroom door open we all get out notes back out and act like we are trying to solve a certain problem. We are all on different pages of the packet yet are still having a "group discussion."

I refuse to look up from my paper. I hate making eye contact with my teachers. She asks us if we are okay and Dakota answers letting her know everything is fine. Once the door closes again we all relax and put our packets to the side.

"What time are you guys going to the Haunted House?" I ask.

"I don't know," Dakota responds. "None of us talked about it in detail. But it will be on Friday."

"Friday? Our essay is due that day."

"Exactly. It will be helpful to ease our mind from it."

"What do you mean you guys? You're going too, right Nyla?" Delaney questions, closing her binder in the process. I shrug not knowing the answer. Haunted houses are fun. Honestly, I enjoy them very much but after next week's stress of the essay all I will want to do is stay in my bed all night long. "Dakota convince her. You know she listens to you best."

"No, I don't."

Dakota speaks up, turning in my direction. "We will turn in our essays at the same time. 2 pm sharp at my house. The rest of the weekend will be spent together to forget about it."

"Did you just make all that up?"

"Yeah, I did." He smiles, "But now that I think about it, that is a very good plan. What do you say? Next Friday 2 pm and then after we will all go downtown."

"Fine." I agree.

"Umm, our parents won't be home next weekend," Delaney informs her brother.

"So? They trust us. Do they really see us as the type that will go to a party and get wasted? No, we will be at our house all weekend long anyway."

"But mom doesn't like Haunted Houses."

"Well, it is kind of cause my dad scared her." Atlas rebuttals as he stands up. The bell rings in a few minutes so we all follow suit. "Anyway, text the details in the group chat and we will figure it out from there."

With that, we all go our separate ways two minutes before the bell rings.

*****

Take two of trying to finish my essay. I go to my desk at the precise time Dakota leaves for soccer practice. This gives me a good ninety minutes of writing time before he might distract me.

I type on my computer until my fingers grow numb.

The sunsets just as I hear Dakotas car pull up to his driveway. I move away from my desk and go downstairs to get the glass of water my body has needed for the past hour. I keep my phone flat on the counter as I catch up on the text messages the group had sent as I was writing.

I need my phone out of the room as I am doing my work or else no work will be done. I will be distracted easily. One five-second notification check will turn into an hour's scroll through social media.

Footsteps that sound like heels clicking make my eyes lift for the screen. My mom is dressed in her business attire holding what seems like a flyer of all the houses that were built in the area she interior designs.

"Would you say pure white or cream white would go with this lady's theme?" My mom asks, sliding the paper to me. The interior is mainly wooden, very modern looking.

"Pure white for sure," I answer, turning off my phone. "Are you going anywhere tonight?"

My mom sighs, sounding tired. "I have to discuss designs with the lady I was talking about seconds ago. She is very specific with the things she wants in her house. Half the time I have to hire someone to make the items for her since she wants everything very detailed."

I let out a whistle. "Sounds fun."

"Isn't it?" She replies, sensing my sarcasm. "How is your essay going?"

"Good, I have one paragraph left then I'll be finished." I guess writing your heart out helps everything go by quicker. As of now, I have all next week to make sure it is all perfect.

"What are you writing about?" She asks as she folds away her flyer. I give her eyes of mischief and make a zipping motion to my lips. "Nylaaa..." She teases, "Should I be specific ask who instead of what it is about?"

"That's not necessary," I say struggling to take another sip of my water with her eyes on me. My cheeks are definitely turning pink. "Enjoy your night." I dismiss myself. "Bye, mom!" I run up my stairs and into my room, closing and locking the door.

The window at the house next to mine is now lit up by light. Someone is home. I take a seat on my bed, away from the window, and text him.

Kota

N: Ah welcome back window boy

He reads it immediately and begins typing.

D: Window girl! Long time no see.

N: What up?

D: The sky ofc.

D: Nothing practice went by normally. I was just about to finish a paragraph then watch a show.

N: What show?? If it's Gilmore Girls can I watch???

D: Absolutely not

D: But you can come over if you want

N: Can't. My mom left me at home by myself

He reads the text message but leaves me on open. I go over to my window stealing a glance at Dakota typing quickly on his laptop before I close my blinds completely. My phone buzzes again and it is my mom.

Mom <3

M: Change of plans the lady has now offered me to stay later for coffee. Expect me around 10:30 ish. Have fun until then!

N: Okay! I love you!

M: Love you too baby see you soon.

I turn my phone off, getting my clothes ready for my shower.

My hair is freshly cleaned, I did my whole face routine, my room is lit with my warm light, and the hard work of shaving my legs was rewarded by the feeling of my legs against my cold freshly cleaned sheets. It is the best feeling ever.

I get off of my bed to quickly fix the curls that are shaping my face and slip on a pair of socks.

As I was brushing my teeth the front door rings. The time shows eight-thirty. It could be mistaken for nine due to the sun setting so early.

My phone ring yet again.

Kota

D: Don't let me freeze out here Ny

Oh shit. I rinse out my mouth and run downstairs to get the door. I check through the peephole making sure it is him before opening the door. His cheeks and the tip of his nose are pink due to the cold.

I turn on the hallway light and lock the door. "I am so sorry. I didn't know it was you."

"It's okay. The temperature went down a lot since I was at practice." He comments, following me upstairs into my room. I am thanking my random motivation to deep clean my room right after school. "It's colder in this room than it is outside."

I point to the slight crack letting in cold air from my window. "Natural air conditioning." I joke. "You reminded me to close it."

"Is it always opened?"

"No, just today while I was writing."

"Fresh air helps you think?"

I nod. "Most of the time. The cool breeze keeps me awake."

"I'll do that next time." He says, sitting on my desk chair. He does a few spins then looks at my bed. "Where are the princess bedsheets?" He teases. "Do you take many guys up here?"

"Ew nasty," I emphasize. If I remember right this is the second time he has been inside of my room. The last time he was here well... I fell asleep on him. "What brings you here?"

"I finished my essay."

"Congrats?"

"Thanks. How is yours going?"

"I have about a paragraph left then I will be done too," I say, moving my laptop from in front of him to my bed. I cannot let him see my essay until submission time.

He gets off the chair and picks up something from my nightstand. I see him holding the blue spiral hair tie from yesterday. "Where are my chocolate-covered strawberries?"

"Nowhere. I didn't lose it."

"Put it back on your wrist. That is unfair." Dakota says, pointing to his. It is now moved to his left wrist along with a few other bracelets he had on already. "And this thing." He picks up my bottle of perfume. "I couldn't find it anywhere."

I crawl into my bed, covering my legs with my comforter as he continues asking me about rando decor in my room. It is cute how he finds the most random things so intriguing. My favorite question was when he asked me about a certain book on my shelf with a cover I would not be comfortable going out in public with.

He picks up the book and lifts his shirt. Is he seriously comparing abs with a fictional character? "Nyla pick one."

"Pick one of what?" I ask cluelessly.

He clears his throat pointing to his abs then to the cover. If I don't say Dakota's then he will be let down. But at the same time, I wouldn't be lying. The guy's abs on the cover of the book look uncomfortably stiff.

I have already laid on Dakota's chest before so I know my answer...

"Please put that book away. And pull your shirt down too! What if my mother comes in?"

His eyes widen. "Does your mom know I am here?"

"Technically no..."

"What do you mean technically no?"

"She assumes I will have friends over but she doesn't know for certain," I answer obviously. He sighs of relief the puts the book into the depths of my bookshelf. "You can lay down, you know?" I move closer to the wall, patting the area next to me.

When he lies next to me, he turns to his side, his eyes not leaving me. "Fuck, you look even prettier up close." He whispers, moving a curl from my face. The butterflies in my stomach are doing cartwheels. Whether or not he meant to say it aloud, those words made me feel a certain way. Like a fucking magnet, I move closer to him.

Apparently, our space is too far. He takes his arm bringing me right to his chest. He gives me one of those hugs that no one would want to leave. The security and protection it makes me feel is indescribable.

His chin rests on top of my head then dips down and a kiss falls to the top of my head.

"You smell heavenly, Ny."

There goes my stomach and heart again. Moving my head back from his chest my eyes meet his. This interaction is more intense than any staring contest I have ever played before. His hand comes up to my face. His thumb runs side to side along my cheekbone several times.

"Remember two days ago?" I am inaudible. I move my head up and down once. "It was hard to look at you the same."

My facial expression changes."What is that supposed to mean?"

"It's hard to see you as the girl next door every time I look at you."

"Is that supposed to be good or bad?"

"Take it as you will." He whispers. "In my case it is good. For you though, I am not so sure."

"I- I still don't understand." How could this be for me? I don't get it.

Dakota talks again. "I almost kissed you the other day, Nyla." I know that.

The sentence that comes out of my mouth next does not only shock him, but it shocks me too. "Why didn't you?" The question comes out faint, yet it seemed like the loudest phrase said tonight.

"Nyla-"

How in the world do I get myself to shut up? One more word out of my mouth and I will sound like an idiot- "Dakota, why didn't you?" My heart is going at an unhealthy speed, my inner self is punching itself right now. Where did all of this confidence come from?

"Don't say that." He warns as his hand moves away from my face only to go right back. His gaze looks so intense to the point his eyes are the darkest shade of green I have seen. Dakota moves the slightest to sit up, bringing me with him. I am back straddling his lap as if we never left.

His left-hand leaves my smooth thigh and joins his other hand at my face. "It takes control to not kiss the life out of you."

Ugh, give me an inhaler already.

And kiss me already, damn it.

The last sentence definitely came out of my mouth and he heard it.

Without any hesitation his lips cover mine.

Never in a million years would I have thought kissing my best friend would feel so good. My hands end up in his hair and his arm wraps around my waist after leaving my face. We are chest to chest.

Exactly how Dakota said earlier, he is kissing the life out of me. Hell, I am doing the same thing back to him. My mind wonders if we would've done this sooner if I was still here. The thoughts go away when he pulls away to let us catch a breath.

"Are you okay?" He asks, breathlessly.

I shush him, returning my lips to his.

I've kissed Dakota once before. We were dared to by our recess friends in the fourth grade. It was a slight peck and I always considered it my first kiss. Nothing would've prepared me for kissing him like this.

The eagerness but carefulness he has makes me sink into him. My hands find their way out of his hair and end up under the cotton of his shirt. His abs stiffen. My touch affects him. My touch affects him.

"Nyla." Dakota breaths when it pains me to pull away. I kiss his cheek and move my face to the crook of his neck. Dakota delicately kisses my neck, leaning back against the headboard with me in his hold. "Can I stay the night?"

"Mhmm. It's too early to fall asleep though." He barely sits up to look at the time. This time he lays back down, letting me go to my side. I get off of him but lay directly beside him, not wanting to leave.

"Aww, I have a cuddler," Dakota says and I sit up, taking my fluffy blanket that is folded in the corner of my bed. Unfolding it I drape the blanket over us and I cuddle against his side. Okay fine, I guess I do love cuddling but with only one person. The saying Night Night Ny Ny rings through my ears and it takes me a few seconds Dakota said that.

The saying was only for me when I used to have sleepovers at his house or mine. I take back what I said earlier. I know I will end up falling asleep soon.

Dakota shifts to his side, pulling me to him again. "I'll be here when you wake up, Ny."

a/n:

[ wc: 3359 ]

yw for this chapter hehe<3

Kind of wrote this scene and figured it was beyond perfect for their first kiss.

Have a good day and see ya at the end of chapter 17!

Don't forget to vote!

<3 Mina

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.9K 219 23
• Friends to enemies to lovers • Dark themes • Situations some readers might find offensive *** Never did I expect to find Trouble in New York (oh...
91.4K 2.4K 45
"The answer is 'A,'" I say, keeping my voice light and kind. Carter snorts from beside me. "No, it's 'C.'" Bingo. I was hoping he'd say that. "The qu...
22.6K 440 37
Allie was your Grade A typical Tom-boy who hid her crush on her neighbor, best friend, and mostly hero Michael James. He was a mama's boy through an...