๐‡ ๐ˆ ๐‘ ๐€ ๐„ ๐“ ๐‡

By alishbasiddiqui11

๐‡๐ข๐ซ๐š๐ž๐ญ๐ก: ๐š ๐ก๐จ๐ฆ๐ž๐ฌ๐ข๐œ๐ค๐ง๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ ๐š ๐ก๐จ๐ฆ๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐œ๐š๐ง'๐ญ ๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ง ๐ญ๐จ, ๐จ๐ซ ๐ญ๐ก๏ฟฝ... More

๐š๐ฎ๐ญ๐ก๐จ๐ซ'๐ฌ ๐ง๐จ๐ญ๐ž:
๐‚๐ก๐š๐ซ๐š๐œ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ ๐š๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ญ๐ข๐œ๐ฌ:
๐ฉ๐ฅ๐š๐ฒ๐ฅ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ
o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t hi r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
please read- author's note.
t w e n t y- o n e
t w e n t y- t w o
t w e n t y- t h r e e
t w e n t y- f o u r
t w e n t y- f i v e
t w e n t y- s i x
t w e n t y- s e v e n
t w e n t y- e i g h t
t w e n t y- n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y- o n e
t h i r t y- t w o
t h i r t y- t h r e e
t h i r t y - f o u r
t h i r t y - f i v e
๐˜ท๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ'๐˜ด ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜ด๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ช๐˜ข๐˜ญ.
๐€๐ฌ๐ฒ๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ญ๐จ๐ญ๐ข๐œ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ง๐ž๐ฌ.
๐๐€- ๐ƒ๐€๐’๐“๐Ž๐Ž๐‘.

e i g h t e e n

15.6K 354 763
By alishbasiddiqui11

"I don't need your games, game over."
𝐅𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐇𝐁𝐀𝐂𝐊-𝟔[𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐓][UNEDITED]

Note: Read ALL the scenes because a lot of them are changed from the other pov.

7 years ago: Age- 17

"Happy 17th birthday Delilah" he jumped and hugged her tightly. He felt himself getting happier than ever because his girl was in his arms. He was so happy that she was here, but there was a feeling in his heart that something was going to happen.

"Oh my god Max leave me I can't fucking breathe" She exaggerated, being the drama queen she is. "Maxwell, are you deaf what's wrong with you?" She said seriously when he didn't move and just hugged her tightly.

He didn't want to move away, he didn't want her to see him cry. He was a fucking coward for not being able to tell her anything.

She felt her neck getting wet and lifted his head to see a sight she never thought she would see. Her Maxwell was crying with silent tears.

She felt her heart clench seeing the love of her life cry like this. Maxwell was a very strong person and never even once cried in the past 4 years that she has been with him.

"Max, what's wrong? Why are you crying so much? Did your son of a bitch Dad do something again? I swear to god I will fucking kill him this time if he said something rude to you." she said softly looking at him with pain in her eyes.

He felt so fucking guilty. She cares so much about him. She would do anything for him, even if that would lead to her death. She loves him so much, so does he. He wanted to just spill everything about his plan to her, but he knew that she would not be able to stay with him if she finds out now.

He had to sacrifice himself for the betterment of her world, which he wished could have been their world.

"Nothing happened Delilah, I am fine," he said quickly wiping his tears away looking at her with a painful smile.

"Bullshit, you expect me to believe you right now, Max? You have never cried in front of me. Please love, tell me what's wrong? You are getting me worried," she said, taking his hands into hers.

"It's really nothing sweetheart don't worry," he said, giving her a very big grin that melted her heart. She loves him so much.

"Wait before going out to celebrate I need to tell you something okay? Whatever happens in the future, just know that I care about you very much and  I promise that nothing will ever happen to you. Do you understand?" he said all this in a very serious voice which was not something he did often, but he had to make sure she was safe.

She just merely nodded, not being able to understand his sudden change of behavior.

"I need words, babe," he said a little angrily, not on her but himself.

"Of course Max, I understand. I think you already know that you and dad are the only people I can go to whenever I have a problem. I don't really have a choice here, you know?" she said to him with a smile.

Fucking hell, why do I keep messing up?

"Wait, no that's not what I-" she cut him off by taking his hand in hers and walking to the gates of her mansion.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

"Okay so what did you get me?" she clapped her hands excitedly and sat down on his bed.

"First you show me my gift" he smiled softly and came laying down in her lap, his face buried in her stomach. She ruffled his hair and placed a soft kiss on his forehead.

"Maxwell, get up, let me go and get your gift" she grumbled trying to push him away while he just tightened his hold on her. He mumbled a small "later" before drifting off to sleep. This has been the best sleep he has had in ages, after sleeping next to Delilah it's like he couldn't sleep alone again.

She made herself comfortable on the bed and scrolled through social media, his head still on her lap gripping her tightly in a good way.

After around forty minutes, he looked up to see her very immersed in doing something on her phone.

"Delilah" he called her, making her abruptly drop the phone on his head. He winced in pain and mumbled a small "ouch".Delilah panicked and cupped his head in her hands, examining it properly mumbling sorry repeatedly.

"Does it hurt?" she frowned and looked at his face. He bit his cheeks to stop himself from grinning like a fool and gave a small nod. She went to get up when as if it was a reflex, he pulled her again, now closer to him.

"You know you can always kiss it better" he grinned showing his award-winning smile to which she replicated with a small smile of her own.

She quickly pecked his forehead making him give her a stink eye.

"On the lips, darling," he said, coming closer when she put her hand on his mouth, pushing him back. "Delilah" he faked anger looking at her.

"Yes, my love?" she smiled and caressed his hair, a content smile on both their faces.

My love, he liked the sound of that.

"Okay now can we open our gifts please?" she whined and pulled him up.

He nodded and went to get his box.

"Okay, so we both are gonna close our eyes and then hand each other the gift okay? I will count till 3 and then only you can open alright?'' She eyed him carefully knowing he would cheat.

"Fine, fine" he huffed, raising both his hands in surrender, chuckling slightly.

They both opened their eyes and blinked several times to see if they were not dreaming. Both of them had a signed copy of Hiraeth by Alishba Siddiqui.

They both screamed in joy and Delilah ran to Maxwell, wrapping her arms around his neck squeezing him in the process. "Oh my god, Oh my god I love y- this book. I love this book so much, Max." she quickly corrected herself from blurting out the L-word.

He smiled and wrapped his hands around her waist pulling her closer.

"How did you get the book? There was only one copy made yet." She asked curiously as she was informed that only one copy had been finalized in Dubai and it would take at least 2 more years for the book to be officially published.

"I have my ways, babe" he smiled, kissing the side of her head and putting her on the bed. He sat down on both his knees near the bed and held her hand softly caressing it.

"Thank you so much, Del," he said, smiling looking at their hands. Before he could say anything further, he got a message from his mom telling him to get back home. He sighed in defeat and stood up quickly.

He kissed her forehead, messing with her hair "Bye love you." was all he said before he quickly sprinted out of the house.

Bye, love you.

Bye, love you.

Love you.

Maxwell loves her.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

Today marks Maxwell Knight's 17th birthday. The knight house sparkled with fairy lights, chandeliers, beautiful waiters, and a large stage that drew the majority of the spectators. There was absolutely nothing left to be spared for his party, he was a Knight after all.

Maxwell, however, felt restless every growing second because he couldn't see Delilah anywhere. The rest of her family was here and they seemed to be enjoying themselves- well atleast what they showed, he knew they all were fake.

As the chattering continued, more people started to come inside and Maxwell was growing more agitated each passing minute. A minute seemed like a decade without Delilah by his side. He was so used to Delilah being around him, he did not want to think what would have happened to him if she wasn't there.

Suddenly all the lights went out, making the entire place pitch black. Screams and loud voices could be heard throughout the house but his mind didn't register any of that, he couldn't care less about an electricity defect. Everyone had their flashlights on and some people were looking around to see what happened. The loudest voice that echoed through the room was his father's, him being a perfectionist who wanted everything to be amazing and this was a big flaw in his reputation.

After a few seconds, the lights were switched on again but before anyone could even react to that, they started flickering at a very uneven rate, like it had been planned already.

And to top it off, now there were very loud noises heard from outside, as if someone was playing with crackers.

The sounds got loud and people went to check what the commotion was, however, all the doors were locked from outside. Someone locked them all inside. As the noises got louder, people recognized that it wasn't firecrackers, they were bombs, not the big ones but the smaller ones that destroy everything slowly.

Maxwell's heart was racing as if he had guessed something bad was going to happen. He just sat at the end corner, clasping his hands and closing his eyes, praying that nothing happens to Delilah.

"When I was 13, I had my first love"

As if reading his mind, the main gateway to the stage opened and there stood Delilah, a cake in her hand with Justin Bieber's Baby playing in the background.

There was nobody that compared to my baby

And nobody came between us or could ever come above

Suddenly all the lights were on, the bombs sound gone and pure silence engulfed the hall. Some stood there grinding their jaws while some had a look of amusement on their faces. It was a very uncomfortable silence, at least for Maxwell. Delilah and his three other idiotic friends look unfazed to it like they had done something very normal like popping balloons.

She had me going crazy, oh, I was star-struck

She woke me up daily, don't need no Starbucks.

There stood Delilah wearing a very thin-strapped white silken dress that reached till her knees. It was not her style according to him, but fuck she looked so beautiful. She was also wearing a lot of necklaces which looked so aesthetic. Geez what good deeds did I do in my last life to be able to call her mine, he thought to himself as he saw her escalate slowly from the stairs, her full focus on the cake she is holding.

She made my heart pound, and skip a beat when I see her in the street and

At school on the playground but I really wanna see her on the weekend.

"Ew Isabella, what is your daughter wearing?" An old lady that Maxwell recognized to be one of his dad's mistresses spoke. She made two very big mistakes, first- she spoke as if she had any type of worth in this place and second she spoke about his Delilah. That alone was enough to set Maxwell in an angry mood, no one -including himself could ever disrespect her like that.

He saw how her face dropped at that comment, but she quickly put on an emotionless facade, which he knew was only put up when she was hurt. He saw how she quickly passed the cake to Damien and whispered something to him. She then put on a confident facade and walked up to them.

"At Least I don't look like a lamb who is sent to be fed to fucking lions" No one was dumb enough to not understand the double meaning of the sentence.

She knows she got me dazing cause she was so amazing

"Delilah" her mother warned, gritting her teeth. "She is not wrong, I wonder why Max even likes you." her mother spoke loud enough for everyone to hear but her own eyes widened when she realized what she said.

And now my heart is breaking

"Out," Maxwell said loud enough, trying his best to control his anger and not punch them in their face.

"Excuse me?'" her mother spoke bewildered, glaring at Maxwell.

"Both of you-" he pointed to Isabella and the mistress. "Get your fucking ugly ass out of my house before I punch you in the goddamn face," he said this coming closer to Delilah, holding her hand tightly. He saw her looking, he could feel all the stares- he didn't care. Nothing was more important than her, it has always been like that and it will always be like that.

His dad quickly came and whispered that he will take care of it, making him simply nod in acknowledgement. Maxwell gently took Delilah's hand, taking her to his room knowing she was confused.

"Are you okay?" Delilah asked as soon as they got in his room, the door locked quickly by Max.

"I guess? I mean I should be asking you this yeah?" he said, making her sit on the bed, next to him.

He saw how she shrugged and avoided his eyes, making him angrier with them, because he knows that their comments hurt, they hurt like shit.

His calloused hands filled with rings made their way to her face, turning her softly to look at him. She wasn't crying but he could see the sadness on her face.

"Why did she say that?" she asked him in a hoarse voice like she was trying to hold back her tears. His heart broke into a million pieces, she didn't deserve this.

He placed a quick kiss on her closed eyelids and wiped the small tears off her face. Bringing his hand to her head, he gently pulled her closer making her head fall on his shoulder. He protectively held her tightly in his embrace mumbling some sweet words.

"Delilah," he said softly, pulling her away looking straight into her eyes. "Yes?" she said in the same tone.

"Will you marry me?" he whispered, his forehead on hers, gently looking in her eyes.

"H-huh?" she stuttered and moved away.

"You don't want to get married or what?" he asked innocently with a sweet smile playing on his face.

"No that's-" she said but got off by him.

"Oh, so you don't want to marry me?" he faked sadness and looked away getting up from the bed.

"No that's not what I mean," she said and held his arm before he could get up.

"Oh, so you want to marry me, huh?" he replied, now smirking. He pulled her closer, in his lap, and wrapped his hands around her waist protectively.

"Max, I hate you," she said through gritted teeth looking at him angrily.

"Love you too, babe," he said, pecking her lips and giving her a wink.

"You should have seen your face, it was like I asked you to die for me or something." he joked seeing that she is still angry.

"I swear to fucking god, I will kill you," she said, narrowing her eyes at him, biting her inner cheek to stop her from smiling.

"But actually you will have to cook for me and all you know?" he said with a mischievous smile on his face.

"And why should I cook for you?" she tilted her head, a small smile playing on her face.

"Well because you are my wife, aren't wives supposed to do these kinds of things?" Maxwell said with a teasing glint in his voice which was quickly gone when he saw that she was glaring at him.

"Fine, fine" he huffed playfully "But don't you think Delilah Knight sounds cool?" he teased, grinning from ear to ear.

"J-just shut up. Come up, we are going downstairs." she got up and held out her hand for him to hold.

They got down the stairs, seeing that only his family and her dad along with all of their invited teenagers and young adults were left in the room.

"Do you remember how you said some months ago that no one loved you and everyone used you for your money?" Delilah said softly, making Max nod in agreement.

"Well now look at this and realize how many people love you," Delilah said and turned on the projector. A video started playing.

The video started with their class teacher saying "Max dear, you might act like a tough boy but I have seen you soften towards your friends and help everyone. So my boy, just live your life and don't worry about what others say. I love you, dear."

Then came a recording of his basketball teammates standing all together "Max we know we might act like assholes at times, but still thank you for always keeping the team in place and helping us regardless of our behavior. Thank you for being the best captain, we love you, Maxwell."

Then came a recording of his classmates all standing together "Maxwell, what can I say you have always been causing trouble and pranking everyone, you are literally only nice to Delilah and had a "bad boy" facade on but did you think we would not understand who the boy was behind all this show-off. It was the kind boy who helped the teachers take notebooks to the staff room and the boy who stayed up late cleaning the classroom in case someone had to leave that job. We might not show it but your silly pranks and stupid jokes make all of our days. So, we love you, Maxwell."

Then stood Emily and Damien in the recording. Damien started "Okay okay I know what everyone is thinking, Damien and Max are enemies what is he doing here. But I just wanted to say that I don't hate you, you are just a son of a bi-" his sentence got cut off when Emily hit his head in the video. Damien cleared his throat and said "Okay fine thank you for helping me cover all the smoking incidents from my dad and thank you for always passing the answers to me in the exams. If you weren't here, I would probably be homeless and failing. So thanks Maxwell, I love you."

Then came Grayson in the camera, smiling widely. "Okay, so I haven't really prepared anything because Delilah told me literally 2 minutes ago that we are doing this. So thank you for not treating me differently and always having my back when people made racist comments about me. It was fun to see you get more riled up than I am when some fucker said "go back to China". Anyways, you already know this but I love you Max- no homo though."

In the end, there stood Delilah alone in front of the camera, a wide grin on her face. "Okay Okay now did you see how many people love you? Well unfortunately I am one of them. Okay I have never said this before because I was scared- but here we go, I love you, Maxwell. So damn much and you know it. You have always been there with me when my parents weren't. This sounds very depressing but if you weren't there then I wouldn't have been alive till now, you made me live. Because there is no Delilah without Maxwell, and without him, she is like a drop of water in the sea."

The video ended and everyone clapped talking to each other.

"Are you crying?" Delilah exclaimed loudly, making everyone look at them.

"N-No why would I cry?" he quickly wiped the tears that he didn't even know fell on his face.

"Sure" she teased him and wiped a tear that was still visible on his face.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

Dear Delilah,

Written on: 25th July 20xx

If you are reading this, then it means I probably am not here anymore.

I know I know this is very cliche, but so are we. Writing a letter before sacrificing myself for you? This is you living the y/n life at this point.

First of all, wipe the tears off your face, you know how much I hate them. And please for god's sake fix up your hair before coming out of my room, I know you loved me tying them up for you because you were too lazy to do it yourself but now you have to do it all alone babe.

I am so sorry for not letting you know this but trust me I really wanted to. But I knew you would either distance yourself from me or do anything to just lock me up just to keep me safe.

And you would have been crying and telling me to not do this and I really really didn't want you to look at me with those sad eyes of yours, trust me it breaks my fucking heart.

So now that I am gone, you are finally free.

Go come out to your parents, take a flight to India like you always wanted to, go learn more languages and go meet new people that will show you a better reality of this world.

Go and eat those chocolate donuts and for god sake don't worry about your weight, go study hard and become a lawyer like you always wanted to. Go hug your dad and go slap your mother hard. Remove the toxic people from your life and become a better person, Delilah.

My pretty Delilah.

I hope you find someone that makes your heart beat fast, and I hope they never fail to make you smile. I hope that they don't give you any problems and treat you better than I ever could.

Yes, you loved me but don't let this stop you from loving someone else. Because my darling, a love like ours was equivalent to chaos and everything love shouldn't be.

Find someone who makes you feel at home.

And don't you ever blame yourself if something happened to me. because trust me, none of this is your fault-it will never be.

And don't blame me for taking this decision because I would rather have myself get killed a million times if it makes up for your security.

Because without Delilah, there is no Maxwell, and him without her, is like a flower in a garden.

Just saying, I am writing this before coming to spend the night at your house. So don't scold me if I hug you a little tighter or kiss you a little longer, cause maybe this will be the last time.

Your Maxwell.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

6 years ago: Age- 18

D E L I L A H

It's been 2 days since my 18th birthday, yet it doesn't feel like I am an adult. What even makes a person an adult? A job? Or the ability to mature?
For me, adult is just a word thrown around so that people can be responsible for their actions or not be held responsible. Like she drinks now? Oh, she is an adult it's alright but if she cries then it's wrong because she is an adult.

The word "" gets thrown around a lot and can be applied to anything from doing laundry to paying your bills on time. Referring to the completion of basic tasks as "adulting" sets a pretty low bar for what it means to be grown up, but our relationship with daily life is changing.

It's a compelling and long overdue idea, but it's framing begs the question: Is this what being an adult is all about? Cooking, budgeting, changing a tire? Or is there more to being a grownup than simply aging out of your teens and knowing where the fuse box is?

My very random and complex thoughts were cut off because of the continuous talking of Maxwell who was currently sitting across from me in the bed, his legs crossed and eyes scanning between my face and the documents in his hands.

Lately, he has been very touchy and more talkative than ever.

Now when I say touchy, I don't really mean it in a sexual way, he knows what our boundaries are. Touchy as in he has been hugging me more, we have been sleeping together in the same bed for the past 2 weeks all because of his insistence.

Both of us being the victims of physical and mental abuse for years, the topic of sexual contact has always been sensitive for us. We both had made the decision to not further up the sexual contact as it can trigger our past memories and we both know that our comfort is more important than the need to give up on our virginity.

Yes, there were times where it got hard but our love was way stronger than this, we did not need to have sex to make each other stay.

The bedroom door opened without any warning and there stood my oh-so-sweet mother standing as if she owned the house, a fake smile on her face.

My mom is working for some mafia deal with the Russian Mafia which is going to be soon given to Max so he has to work with her. I still remember his mood dropped for almost a week when he found out about this, he didn't eat anything for almost a day and stayed in bed the full time. Only I was the one who was allowed to come to the room and I had to fucking feed him. He is literally an 18-year-old man and I had to feed him pasta which I had to make for him because he didn't want to eat anything else.

He can be such a baby sometimes, but it was a nice experience.

I could see that his mood had dropped. I feel kinda bad for him but I am so proud of him for being able to contain his anger and not kick my mother out of this house. If this would have been vice versa, with me and his dad I would have 100 percent shot him in the head.

"He will come, you leave," I said not even bothering to look at her face, she was not worth it.

Just as she left the room, I felt myself getting pulled in his lap, and almost immediately, his hands were wrapped around my waist and his head rested in the crook of my neck. I could feel his soft breaths on my neck making goosebumps rise up my body, in a good way.

"Baby, do I have to go?" he asked with a small voice that came out as muffled.

"Unfortunately yes babe, If it was up to me I would have come with you but this is something you need to deal with alone." I pressed a small kiss to his head which he reciprocated with a small kiss on my neck.

He then got me off and pulled me up giving me one, two, three pecks on my lips mumbling a small "I love you"

It has become his habit, he says I love you at least once a day. It was a little weird because I thought he or I was going to die or something when he started doing this but now it's my favorite part of the day.

And as usual, I replied with an "I love you more."

I have never once replied with an "I love you too" because I feel like "I love you more" has much more emotion and power in them, to be able to justify my love with my words. And the softening of his face, the twinkle of his eyes, and his lips curving upwards into a shy smile with a tinge of red hue on his cheeks are so worth it. He's so worth it.

"Fuck, now I don't want to go" he sighed and came forward again to pull me into his arms, but I shoved him back quickly making him tighten the hold on his folder that he was holding. Weird

He smiled gently at me and ran outside quickly, making one of the papers fall from the folder. I furrowed my brows and picked up the paper.

𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍: 𝐀𝐒𝐒𝐀𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐎𝐅 𝐃𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐋𝐀𝐇 𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐍𝐄𝐑

First Mission of Maxwell Knight.

Date of Assassination: 27th July 20xx- Delilah Warner's 18th birthday.

Executed by: Maxwell Knight and team.

Associates: 1. Isabella Warner- mother of Delilah Warner.

2. Emily James- Russian Mafia

3. Damien Johnson- Russian Mafia

4. Young associates of the Russian Mafia.

Arrangement:

1. Until the age of 15, Maxwell Knight and the other undercover Russian Mafia students will appear to be Delilah Warner's close friends.

2. When they turn 15, Emily James will appear to be in love with Maxwell Knight, while Damien Johnson will seem to be in love with Delilah Knight, leading to a clash of friendships and Maxwell bashing Emily and Damien.

3. Maxwell will convince Delilah to be in a fake relationship with him to prevent the company of Emily and Damien from being beneficial for both of them.

4. After a few months of pretending to be in a relationship, Maxwell will pretend to have fallen in love with Delilah and will ask her out, treating her with utmost care which will result in Delilah falling in love with Maxwell as well.

5.The fact that Maxwell is in the Russian Mafia but everything in this contract shall be kept a secret. If not followed, it will result in the death of Maxwell Knight.

6. Physical intimacy is permitted in the relationship making sure that protection is used.

7. Maxwell Knight will be required to meet the family of Delilah Warner and gain their trust. He will also be required to report every action of this plan to Isabella Warner- mother of Delilah Warner.

8. Before the 18th birthday of Delilah Warner, she would be kidnapped and kept hostage in the Russian Mafia chambers.

9. The Russian Mafia will compel the French Mafia to sign over all of their assets and personnel to them.

10. Maxwell Knight will assassinate Delilah Warner in front of her family as soon as the contract is finalized, putting an end to the fight between the Mafias.

My eyes widen on the desk's edge, and a wave of nausea washes over me as I read the file. "What's going on?" I couldn't say since my throat had dried up. I mutter beneath my breath, panic setting in.

I let go of the pendant he had given me around my neck, letting it fall to the floor, and cupped my hand over my mouth.

A cold sweat smothered me from reading the contract, I didn't expect this from him.

My heart fell to my feet, I no longer could sit. I jumped up from my chair and moved my hands to my chest to feel my racing heart.

"N-no... no this doesn't make sense." I was in denial. "This must be a prank," I said to myself with a shaky breath and trembling limbs.

My mind starts rallying, remembering something Maxwell once told me. On my 17th birthday when he came to wish me, he told me to tell him if something happens and that's why he has been so close to me for the past two weeks so that he can keep an eye on me and then kidnap me whenever he gets the chance.

My hand moved from my chest to the back of my head, my heart racing on the floors. This isn't possible. I began pacing the room, feeling sick.

My chest suddenly felt like it weighed eighty pounds and I couldn't breathe. The only thing I was ever living for, was gone.

My heart fell to my shoes, the practical betrayal leaving me empty and scared. I clutch my chest and slump down on the chair with my eyes glued to the paper, reciting the contract over and over. My throat clenches to the point I would die. I wanted to cry, but nothing came out.

I close my eyes calmly and try to breathe slowly while clutching the edge of my chair and tilting my head downward. My mind conjures up a slew of alternatives that could explain this, but I draw no conclusions.

My mind begins to put pieces together, my heart rushing at a breakneck pace as I dreadfully come to a conclusion I don't want to be true.

"No....no....no" I shake my head frantically, tears welling up in my eyes. My hands tremble as I remain kneeling on the restroom floor, a hole of complete darkness erupting within me.

After a few months of pretending to be in a relationship, Maxwell will pretend to have fallen in love with Delilah and will ask her out, treating her with utmost care which will result in Delilah falling in love with Maxwell as well.

As I struggle to keep from having a nervous breakdown, my hands snake over my lips and my eyes squeeze shut. My words are experiencing what was once my earth falling apart anew, and I'm sick to my stomach.

The emptiness I felt was something that I couldn't understand. The world was fake all of a sudden, people I believed in I now didn't trust.

Maxwell Knight will be required to meet the family of Delilah Warner and gain their trust. He will also be required to report every action of this plan to Isabella Warner- mother of Delilah Warner.

I dropped my head and pinched my eyes shut, trying to hold back the tears but it wasn't working. I sniffled harshly and shook my head, wiping the tears on the back of my hand. Why would my mother ever do this to me? What have I ever done to her?

What did I do to Maxwell to deserve this? How could he?

Maxwell Knight was never mine, to begin with.

M A X W E L L

Isabella was again blabbing about how irresponsible I am to not take my duties seriously and how Delilah should have already been dead by this time. I don't understand how a mother can be so cruel towards her own blood. I feel so proud of her for being strong although everything around her is so hard.

According to me, Abuse and neglect inhibit the development of children's trust in the world, in others, and in themselves. Later as adults, these people may find it difficult to trust the behaviors and words of others, their own judgments, and actions, or their own senses of self-worth. Not surprisingly, they may experience problems in their academic work, their relationships, and their very identities.

They find it hard to believe that they were abused, they make it seem like it is supposed to be normal to be beaten up until you can't get up and get insulted so bad that you can't face yourself in the mirror because of the shame you bring to your family.

Family. A word we usually use for people who are related to us by blood. But that was not the case for me, it never was.

My one and only family since forever have been Delilah.

She made me feel truly at home.

I used to think home was just a house with four walls and a roof, but it's amazing how quickly it transformed into a tall green-eyed girl with the most beautiful smile.

And at that moment I knew, that she has always been the only one who could make me feel this way. She made me feel as if I was in heaven.

She was my heaven.

I know what I was going to do now, I am going to tell her everything.

I am going to tell her everything. Starting from the contract to everything that I have faced in my childhood and to how much I am in love with her.

I hope she doesn't leave, although I doubt she wouldn't. I mean I know she loves me and all but this might be a little bit too much to handle.

I am okay with her taking a break from our relationship, as long as she comes back to me.

I hope she doesn't hate me.

I will also tell her about my plan and maybe just run away with her with the help of my sister.

And then, after we graduate at around the age of 23, I will ask her to marry me.

If I can't marry her, then I better live my life single forever.

I have also told Delilah's dad about the contract, including the affair his wife was having. I thought he would kill me that day that's why I wrote the letter to Delilah in case I end up getting killed. But instead, he told me that he is very proud of me for being able to handle everything and make a great plan to keep my Del safe.

I need to tell her everything, I know she wanted me to fix it first. But getting in to seeing her dad was a lot harder than I thought. I can't keep these secrets from her any longer. She deserves so much more than these lies- but it's so much harder than that.

She goes through so much, on the inside She has a sadness in her and the minute she let me see it I just realized hard it would be to even tell her the full truth. She's tired- she's been tired all her life. I couldn't put her in a worse state of mind.

I just want her to be happy.

But the minute I tell her the full truth-we will never be the same.

I open the door to the bedroom, turning to see Delilah sitting at the desk with her back to me. Her laptop was out and to the side, her head tilted down like she was looking at something on the table.

After getting my shoes off, I was ready to just collapse on her bed. I was so tired already, we didn't get much sleep last night because we ended up playing board games till around five in the morning, cool I know.

I was pleased to just be back here with her. I run my hair back and walk towards the nightstand.

"Did you get your work done?" I ask, knowing that's what she said she was going to start doing.

I look back up at her still sitting quietly in the chair, not able to see her face. "baby?"

"Did it hurt?" she finally speaks up.

"When I fell from heaven?" I joked chuckling knowing this is one of her pick-up lines.

"No when you-" her voice cracked and she cupped her hand over her mouth. Her voice was frail and slightly chopped like she was upset, immediately I felt a pit in my stomach. Staying stood on the other side of the room, I just stared at the back of her head.

"My mother was the only one in my life that I truly hated, someone that never made me feel safe. It's like I wanted to love her but her actions didn't let me love her. I have never truly hated anyone after her." She speaks slowly and softly. "Until I met you."

My heartbeat increased and I felt a weird pit in my ribcage. What did I do that made her upset? She was completely okay before I went to her mom's room.

"I trusted you."

I stop in my pace from her addition, the past tense sending a second guess through me.

She didn't say anything after that, my chest going heavy. In a quick decision, I continued my walk around the bed and towards her.

"Del, tell me-"

"It's Delilah for you," she spoke her voice a little louder than the last words she spoke and a bitter tone in her voice.

My heart dropped, she has always been my Del, I am the only one who calls her that.

I pace right behind her in an attempt to ask her what the actual fuck is she talking about. But as I look over her shoulder to the table she's staring down at, I see something that threw me right off guard and had nothing to do with the assignment she was doing.

Her assassination contact.

My heart fell to my stomach, a sickness washing over me as my eyes peel to the sight I didn't expect.

"Wait..." I become flustered. "W-What is this?"

My eyes pull from the licenses and flick to her side profile. Her cheeks were stained with tears, eyes bloodshot like she's been crying since I left. She's pale, bags under her eyes swollen. Her sight stays glued to the contract, she is in shock.

"I didn't love you, Maxwell. I loved my max who would take me on ice cream dates when I was on my period, my max who would let me lay in his lap for hours and talk about the books that I read, or how much I hate my mother, I loved the max that would kiss my forehead and look at me like I was his whole world. I loved the max that gave me this ring." She points to the promise ring I bought for her 2 days ago

She slipped the ring off her slowly as if still processing my betrayal.

She comes closer to me as I feel a lone tear slip down my face, my legs won't move from their place and my lips were shut.

How was I supposed to tell her that I never wanted to kill her?

She placed the ring on my finger and called the guards to get me out of her house.

"Maxwell Knight, you were never mine." was the last thing I heard before the guards dragged me down and made me stand in the living room.

As if my senses came back, I quickly pushed the guards away and ran to her, who was coming down the stairs.

"Get out right now," she yelled with tears in her eyes, now finally using her calm composure. "But..." I tried speaking but she didn't let me.

"I said get out right now Maxwell Knight if you want to be alive." her figure was shaking and the tears coming out of her eyes didn't stop. Her voice cracked and her throat was dry from yelling. I hated seeing her like this. Why couldn't I tell her before?

"Please listen mi amor, please let me explain Delilah. Please babe this isn't what you think." My throat was dry and my voice came out very raspy, the tears that came out of my eyes were not stopping anytime soon. I was ready to even beg and kiss her feet if she could give me another chance.

She looked into my eyes finally and they were nothing like how she has ever looked at me.

I was not talking to my Del now, I was talking to Delilah fucking Warner.

She removed my hands from her face and stepped back. She started "Maxwell Knight, this is my last warning. Leave this place and leave my life forever.

No no, I can't leave now. How will I live without her?

Don't you dare show me your fucking clown face ever again. And if you ever try coming back then..." she paused and took something out of her back pocket. My eyes widened seeing her pointing a gun at my head. She spoke again before he could do anything, "leave now before I end up finishing you off babe."

And the next thing, I knew I was thrown out of her house.

Now, who will read me her romance books and talk about how hot Harry Style is?

Who will wrap her arms around me and let me lay in her embrace till I feel safe enough to face the real world?

Who will I feed my new recipes to?

Who will kiss my forehead and tell me that she is proud of me?

Who will nag me when I don't eat properly?

Who will save me from myself?

Who will save me from not giving up?

Who will be my rose in this world full of thorns?

Without Delilah, there is no Maxwell, there will never be.

THE LAST FLASHBACK OMG DON'T CRY I LOVE YOU<3

Also thanks for 10k+ reads we are almost at 15k wtf

Also follow my tiktok: wattpadhiraeth

until next time, ily

-alishba<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

856K 48.7K 51
"The reason we can't let go of someone is because deep inside, we still have hope." Then, let go. That so-called hope, it's destroying you. "It was...
48.7K 721 38
This is my first story sooo๐Ÿคจ He was cold, ruthless, and killed. There was no doubt that people feared him, he was the mafia don for crying out loud...
VICENZO By Walnut

Short Story

1.4M 37.9K 74
Raised in the Mafia, I have known no other life other than cold calculated violence and discipline. A life where brutality is praised and weakness is...
46.9K 754 61
๐“๐‘๐ˆ๐†๐†๐„๐‘ ๐–๐€๐‘๐๐ˆ๐๐†: ๐ƒ๐€๐‘๐Š ๐‘๐Ž๐Œ๐€๐๐‚๐„, ๐ƒ๐‘๐”๐†๐’, ๐€๐‹๐‚๐Ž๐‡๐Ž๐‹, ๐–๐„๐€๐๐Ž๐๐’ ๐Œ๐„๐๐“๐ˆ๐Ž๐๐’, ๐•๐ˆ๐Ž๐‹๐„๐๐‚๐„ ...