The Soul Mate's Curse

By Choppy

Justin is cursed. Hug the girl he likes and he goes paralyzed. Kiss? He faints. Sex? He and his partner lives... More

The Soul Mate's Curse

896 11 25
By Choppy

"The Soul Mate's Curse"

Characters:

Dad: looks to be in his twenties. He doesn't mind the curse, but he sees that Justin is hearting because of it. He asks Alex to come by and speak to his son.

Mom: looks to be in her twenties. She regrets being with Justin's Dad, now that she no longer loves him but has to stay with him otherwise she'll die.

Alex: The same age as Justin. He's Justin's Uncle, but not related by blood. Justin's dad invited him over to help Justin with his curse problem.

Justin: 17 years old. He's cursed from his father's side with the "soul mates curse"

Jaime: 17 years old. The girl Justin likes. She also likes Justin and tries to understand his curse.

Act 1

Scene 1

[Lights on. Two people standing, yelling at each other in middle of stage. Off to stage right is Justin's bedroom. It has a bed near the window and a table next to it, a picture frame on top. Justin walks in from stage left, seeing his parents glaring at each other, looking as if they just fought.]

Justin

I'm home.

Mom

[She's still glaring at the man opposite her.] You came home late again. What did you do after school today? You didn't place a curse on someone did you?

Justin

I'm no wizard, so casting spells and curses isn't something I'm capable of.

Mom

  [Turns to face Justin.] I'm not kidding around.

Justin

  Neither am I.

 [Mom screams and goes after Justin, but before she could, Dad holds her off.]

Dad

Go to your room Justin. [Justin hesitates.] Now son!

[Justin stalks away, throwing his backpack against the wall before sitting down on his bed. He covers his face with his hands, breathing hard. He puts headphones over his ears. Spot lights on the couple.

Mom

[Mom trying to get into Justin's room, but Dad is holding her back.] Justin! Justin! Never do it Justin! Don't curse anyone with your power.... not like how your father cursed me.

                                                                                    Dad

How dare you! It's not a curse. It's a beautiful thing. It links you and your partner forever, making you the most perfect soul mate.

                                                                                       Mom

[She stops struggling against him and crosses her arms. She glares at him.] Heh, 'soul mate'. Would a soul mate chain me to him? Would he bind me to only be his? Would he have had sex with me and claim me as if I'm some sort of object?

[Dad throws up his hand and acts as if he was going to hit her, but doesn't. Mom is on the ground, crying.]

Dad

Chain? Bind? You were the one who seduced me! I told you about this power that runs through my blood, but yet you dismissed it and still wanted to do it! If you want anyone to blame, blame yourself!

Mom

I didn't understand. I was young. But now, if I leave you and go to another man, I'll die. I can't leave you!

Dad

Because we're soul mates. If you betray your soul mate like that, of course you deserve to die!

Mom

And what will happen to you?

Dad

I'll die too.

[Spot lights off. Mom and Dad exits. Stage lights on. Justin is sitting on his bed, looking as if he's listening to his ipod. Jaime peeks her head from the window.]

Jaime

Watcha doing?

Justin

Nothing much. Listening. [Points to headphones.]

[Jaime crawls through the window and sits next to Justin on the bed. Jaime grabs one of the earphones and tries to listen. Jaime finds the cord and yanks at it. The earphones weren't plugged in.]

Jaime

Must have been nice music. What's the band called?

Justin

Silence.

[They both just sit next to each other, "listening" to the "music."]

Jaime

You know, we're going to find a way out of this.

Justin

What do you mean "we?" It's only me. And last time I checked, there's no cure.

Jaime

I don't believe so. I mean, if that was true, how are you here? Or your father? There must be a way for you to...

[Reaches over to hold his hand. He jerks away.]

Justin

You know I can't.

Jaime

Look. I'm not giving up.

Justin

It's a waste of time. Just give up. Really.

Jaime

But you like me. And I like you.

Justin

But I'm not going to curse you. Remember? Cursed.

Jaime

It's only a curse if you believe it is.

Justin

Well, I believe it.

[They stare at each other.]

Jaime

I wish we were kids again. So I could hug you.

Justin

Yeah.

[Jaime smiles at him before leaving out of the window. Justin goes back to pretending he's listening to music, but then takes it off.]

Justin

"Once you reached puberty, once your voice starts to change and once you get taller, you should never touch the girl you like. You'll want to, but never do it. Because when you do, you and your partner will live forever, never aging." [Sighs.] I can't do that. I can't do that to Jaime. To go by every year, every decade without aging, living forever. That'll be wrong of me, even if Jaime says it's okay. Because...look at mom.

[A man opens the door and walks in stage left. Justin stands up, defensively.]

Justin

Who are you?

Alex

You mean you don't remember me?

Justin

[Thinks.] Oh. [Sits back down.] You're my uncle, from Dad's side right? How did you get in here? Mom doesn't like Dad's side of the family.

Alex

Yeah, but I'm not related by blood. No curse.

Justin

So, you came here to talk to Dad?

Alex

No, I came here to talk to you. [Points to the window.] Does your mom know about the girl?

Justin

[Tenses up.] No. Don't tell her.

Alex

[Smiles.] Don't worry. [Motions to Justin's bed.] Can I sit? [Justin makes room for Alex to sit down. They both sit next to each, Justin on one side of the bed and Alex on the other. Awkward silence.] Well, this is a fun reunion.

Justin

Look. I'm having a bad day. Just tell me what you need to tell me, and then get out.

Alex

[In a low voice.] Your dad told me to spend the night. [Louder.] So who was the girl?

Justin

Does it matter?

Alex

Don't be so defensive. I'm here to help. [Picks up the book next to Justin's bed. And hold it up.] You really think reading a book about curses will break the one you have?

Justin

[Grabs the book back and tosses it under his bed.] You don't have the curse. So don't-

Alex

Which is why I'm trying to help you. Really, being an outsider, yet family, of all this is irritating. I'm going to help when I can.

Justin

So Dad called you here to help me. [Murmurs.] At least I have someone on my side.

Alex

Yes. He told me to stay in your room though, cause your mom doesn't know.

Justin

What?

[Alex lies down on the bed. Justin stands up and stares. Alex snuggles into the blanket.]

Alex

[Smiles up at Justin.] Well, aren't you going to sleep?

Justin

I would, if you just get off.

Alex

But we're family! [Scoots over.] Just sleep with me. I'm not going to do anything.

[Justin glares. Alex looks like he's not going to get off. Justin grabs the blanket off of Alex and lies down on the ground. Lights off.]

Scene 2

[Lights on. Justin wakes up and yawns. Alex walks in from stage left, cup of coffee in his hand. Justin stares at him from where he is sitting, speechless.]

Justin

[Groans.] So it wasn't just a dream...

Alex

[Sits on Justin's bed.] Nope! [Puts his legs up, resting it against Justin's head. Justin swats it away. Alex just smiles.] Good morning.

Justin

[Sighs and sits next to Alex. Grabs the coffee and takes a sip. He looks at it and sticks his tongue out.] Black...

Alex

[Pulls out two packs of sugar and pours it into the drink.] Only a kid needs their coffee sweet.

Justin

[Glares.] So you said you're going to help me.

Alex

Right you are. [Stands up and paces.] The Soul mate's Curse. Step one: hug and you go paralyzed. Step two: Kiss and you pass out. Step three: have sex and you and your partner is cursed to never die and never age. [Looks at Justin pitifully.] That sucks.

Justin

Thanks for reminding me.

Alex

So, did you find anything out? A way to break it, from all your researching?

Justin

If I did, would Dad have brought you here?

Alex

Good point. And if you did break it, your girlfriend would have been able to visit you through the front door, instead of climbing through your bedroom window.

Justin

[Looks down, embarrassed. He fidgets with the cup in his hand.] We're not boyfriend/girlfriend.

Alex

Really? Oh good. No temptation until we figure this out.

Justin

Why do you want to help me anyways? Why now? After centuries of our family being cursed, why do you of all people want to break it?

Alex

[Blinks once and in all seriousness] Because it seems interesting.

Justin

Oh. [Drinks the last of the coffee.] Well, I don't have time today. I have to study for the Arts final.

Alex

Art is more important than destroying the curse?

Justin

If I ever want to be considered in the next photo competition, yes, it is.

Alex

[Looks at the photo next to Justin's bed, on top of a table. It's a picture of Dad hugging Mom from behind. They're both smiling.] You took that?

Justin

Yeah, when I was ten.

Alex

Your dad and mom look happy together.

Justin

They were.

[They both stare at the picture until Justin grabs Alex's shirt.]

Alex

What's wrong?

Justin

[Justin sniffs Alex's shirt. Then he pulls away.] This is my shirt. Why are you wearing my shirt?

Alex

I...don't know what you're talking about...

Justin

Take it off. Right now.

Alex

But it looks better on me than you! [Justin makes a grab for it. Alex dodges the attack but then gets pinned.] Okay, okay! I give.

[Justin let him go. And helps Alex take his shirt off. At that moment, they hear a gasping noise from the window. Justin turns around to see Jaime looking in from the window.]

Jaime

Sorry to interrupt...I'll... just go... [Ducks away.]

Justin

No! Wait, Jaime! It's not what you think. [Runs to the window to stop her from leaving, but she's already gone. Justin slums down on his bed. Alex is laughing. Justin turns around to see Alex still wearing his shirt.]

Alex

I didn't know you wanted me that bad...

[Justin goes to chase after Alex. Alex notices and runs out of the room. Justin stops and picks the book out of under the bed. He flips through it.]

Justin

How to break a curse: "Lose faith in the ability of the curse to cause harm. Stop believing the curse can affect your life and it loses power over you." [Closes the book and sighs.] What bunch of bull.

[Lights off.]

Scene 3

[Lights on. Justin is on the bed, laughing while Jaime is sitting on the ground next to it.]

Jaime

So my teacher started calling me crazy, just because I told him "Eye of the Tiger" song was stuck in my head and I couldn't concentrate during the finals because of it. It was stupid of me to tell him, cause then he started playing the song on his laptop. I didn't know that at the time...

Justin

So you freaked out, thinking the song is haunting you and ran out of the room, didn't you?

Jaime

Yeah...

[Justin is laughing while Jaime laughs along.]

Justin

Well, he's right. You're crazy.

[Jaime hits him playfully on the arm.]

Jaime

You calling me crazy too now?

Justin

You're crazy.

[Jaime smiles at him and sits up. They're now face level with each other, staring and smiling. They lean in, as if they were going to kiss, when the door slams open. They both turn around to see who it was. It was Alex. Justin and Jaime lets out a heavy sigh, hand over their chest. Justin lets out a weak chuckle.]

Alex

[Closes the door behind him and hands over the plate of cookies he has to Jaime.] Good thing your parents aren't home.

Jaime

You're Justin's uncle right? It's nice to meet you.

Alex

Same. You're the girl I saw fleeing the other day, right?

Jaime

[Nods.] That's me alright...the fleer.

Alex

[Laughs.] That's okay. I understand. [Turns to Justin.] You would have fainted you know, if I didn't come in.

Justin

We weren't going to do anything.

Alex

[Giving a knowing smile.] Whatever you say. [Walks back to the door.] Well, you kids have fun.

Jaime

[Laughing.] You're the same age as us!

Justin

[Stands up. He looks at Alex, worried.] Was there a reason you came in?

Alex

It's nothing to worry about. [Opens the door.] Don't play rough now. [Exits.]

Jaime

I like him. Seems nice.

Justin

Something's wrong. I mean, why would someone come in and then not say anything?

Jaime

To say hi. [Holds up a cookie.] To feed us. [Takes a bite.]

Justin

Yeah, maybe. Jaime, I think you should go. I mean, imagine if that was my parents and not Alex?

Jaime

Then I could say hi and maybe go back to seeing you again through the front door. That tree outside is hard to climb up, you know?

Justin

[Shakes his head.] I don't see why you bother. We can't be together.

Jaime

[Eyes narrowed.] Because of the soul mate's curse. [Justin nods.] Look, I believed you when you told me about it, and didn't just excuse it as some sort of twisted rejection line, but...you look like you don't want to ever see me again.

Justin

That's not true. It's just-

Jaime

You don't want to curse me. And have me regret, like your mother does.

[Justin nods and doesn't look at Jaime. Jaime smiles faintly. She puts the plate of cookies on his lap and climbs out of the window and leaves. Justin puts on the headphones and looks as if he is crying, but no tears come out, as he eats a cookie. Lights off.]

Scene 4

[Lights on. Justin is on the bed, listening to his ipod when Alex comes in. Justin looks up at him from the book he was looking at.]

Alex

Catch. [Throws a bracelet to Justin. Justin catches it and looks at it curiously.]

Justin

[Holds it up.] What is this?

Alex

Well, there's a way to break the curse.

[Justin sits up straight.]

Justin

Tell me.

Alex

You're not going to like it.

Justin

Doesn't matter. Break the curse. How do you do it?

Alex

[Fidgets.] Well, when I mean, "break" it isn't a complete break. It's sort of like a cover, if anything.

Justin

Wait, how did you find out how to break it?

Alex

Oh, that was easy. [Sits next to Justin.] You just had to look into your family tree.

Justin

I did that. That was one of the first things I did when I learned about it. None of them ever broke the curse.

Alex

Yeah, none of them without children. [Stares at Justin who looks confused.] How many males in your family never married? The ones with the curse.

Justin

Two. [He thinks.] Yeah, two.

Alex

Right. Exactly.

Justin

I don't get it.

Alex

Look, don't freak out. I experimented it with your dad already...

[Alex grabs Justin's shirt and pulls him in. They kiss. Justin doesn't do anything, dumbfounded by what just happened. Alex pulls away first and wipes his lips with his arm.]

Justin

[Stands up.] What the hell?!

Alex

Woah! Hold on! I told you not to freak out!

Justin

How could I not freak out? You just- I mean you-

Alex

Just stop and think. You didn't freeze up, right? Not out of shock, but actually freeze? [Justin stares at him and thinks. Then he nods.] And you don't feel faint, do you?

Justin

[Puts his hand to his head. He looks confused and then shakes his head.] What's going on?

Alex

Two of your relatives are gay. They were cursed, have partners- multiple partners- but not one of them had their cursed activated.

Justin

[Sits down, trying to digest everything.] You said you tried this out on my dad...

Alex

Gross, I know. But it worked. He's not dead. Nor is your mom. Even though he "betrayed" her.

[Alex just watches Justin's reaction, from disgust to shock to enlightened.]

Justin

Yeah, okay. But it isn't going to work. I'm not gay or bi.

Alex

Yeah, that's what the bracelet is for.

Justin

[Holds it up and Alex nods.] What's the other way?

Alex

Wear it. [Justin puts it on and looks at it. He doesn't feel any different.] I found it in your mom's closet. It's what your dad wore when he was dating your mom.

Justin

So? It's a memento of their relationship.

Alex

Yeah, but this [pokes at the bracelet] helps subdue the curse. Wear it, and you won't paralyze or faint when hugging and kissing.

Justin

[Looks at it.] You know this because?

Alex

How else would your dad woo your mother? With his witty comments?

Justin

[Hugs Alex.] Thanks so much. I can- now I-

Alex

Yeah, you can now have a girlfriend. That Jaime girl.

Justin

Wait. It doesn't stop the final step of the curse, does it?

Alex

[Shakes his head.] No. We're still trying to figure that one out.

Justin

[Nod.] You know, you could have just told me this instead of...kissing me.

Alex

[Shrugs.] Never know. You might have been gay. Then you wouldn't have to worry about all this.

Justin

[Snorts.] Even if I was, you're not my type.

Alex

Good. Because even if we're not related by blood, I'm still your uncle. It'll probably be considered incest.

[They hear a noise and someone cursing outside the window. Alex smiles and pats Justin on the shoulder.]

Alex

Don't play rough now.

[Alex exits. Justin stares at the bracelet before smiling towards the window.]

Justin

I know you're there Jaime.

[Jaime peeks through the window shyly and waves.]

Jaime

Sorry to interrupt. Looked like you guys were having a serious conversation.

Justin

How much did you hear?

Jaime

Not much. I hit my toe against the side of your house. And you know how I feel about pain...

Justin

[Smiles and motions for Jaime to come in. Jaime does and then doesn't walk any closer.] Are you scared of me?

Jaime

No! [She scurries toward Justin and sit next to him on the bed. Justin laughs and puts his arm around her.] Wait...your curse... You'll faint...

Justin

[Pulls away. He looks down at his body while Jaime stares. Justin looks up after a while when nothing happens and smiles.] Doesn't look like I'm fainting.

Jaime

[Stares at him in disbelief.] You're cured?

Justin

No. [He shakes his head. He leans forward.] But Alex helped me out. [Holds out his wrist with the bracelet on it. Then, as she looks at it curiously, he kisses her. He pulls away and they both look shocked that nothing happened. Then, chuckling they go in for another kiss.]

[Light out. Fin.]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52.8M 1.3M 70
after a prank gone terribly wrong, hayden jones is sent across country to caldwell academy, a school for the bitchy, the dangerous and the rebellious...
139K 6.1K 55
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းကတစ်ယောက်နှင့်တစ်ယောက်မတည့်တဲ့ကောင်လေးနှစ်ယောက်ကအလှလေးတစ်ယောက်ကိုအပြိုင်အဆိုင်လိုက်ကြရာက မိဘတွေရဲ့အတင်းအကြပ်စီစဉ်ပေးမှုကြောင့်တစ်ယောက်အပေါ...
7.3M 302K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...
631K 56.1K 35
𝙏𝙪𝙣𝙚 𝙠𝙮𝙖 𝙠𝙖𝙧 𝙙𝙖𝙡𝙖 , 𝙈𝙖𝙧 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞 𝙢𝙞𝙩 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞 𝙃𝙤 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞...... ♡ 𝙏𝙀𝙍𝙄 𝘿𝙀𝙀𝙒𝘼𝙉𝙄 ♡ Shashwat Rajva...