From That Distant Shore (Abhi...

By SimplyMeghana

An Abhiya SS More

Chapter 1 - The Girl on the Porch
Chapter 2 - Three Moons
Chapter 3 - The Full Moon Brings the Clarity of Mind
Chapter 4 - The Half Moon Calls the Darkness Out of Hiding
[Alternate Ending] Chapter 5 - The New Moon Creates a New Beginning

[Original Ending] Chapter 5 - The New Moon Creates a New Beginning

121 18 5
By SimplyMeghana

He didn't need to think long for his answer. There was a price he had to pay for his mistake. By giving up his own life, she could live.

The rain beat against the walls of the cabin, bearing down harder by the hour. Even the sky was crying over his fate. He stared aimlessly into the raging fireplace, dangling a piece of firewood by the tip between his fingers. A sharp piece of wood. A vampire's invitation to death.

He deserved death. She didn't.

"I'm sorry, Piya. My love for you ended up becoming the reason for your demise."

He now knew why she always avoided the question. Always looked away, or diverted his attention towards something else. She never wanted him to feel the guilt. But all that effort of hers went down the drain. He now held that cursed knowledge. All this time, the universe was pulling the strings in the background.

Not knowing how to face her, for each night till the new moon, he avoided his cabin around the usual time of her arrival. Avoiding her as she looked for him. If she had the slightest idea of what he was going to do, or if he stood face to face with her again, he wouldn't have the strength to do it. And now the fateful night had arrived, no moon to cast its light between the canopy of trees. Soon he would see this darkness himself. Forever.

Haseena, Chand, and the elders walked to the outer barrier together. Abhay was to be freed tonight at the hour, but he was nowhere to be found. They stopped near Piya's grave, and saw the trail of red spider lilies.

"The flower of death." An elder said, kneeling to examine the flower at the start of the trail. "Recently bloomed."

"Is Piya's spirit...." Haseena asked halfway, seeing a similar one blossoming upon her grave. Chand looked at her and nodded.

"She must be wandering. Then Abhay...." Chand looked up towards the barrier, with no sight of their son. He had written in the letter for him to meet them here. Perhaps he was gathering his things, all those books Haseena sent with the letters. "We should go to the cabin. Perhaps he's there."

Haseena nodded, and the elders followed their lead. The sound of frantic chimes came rushing towards them halfway down the path. Everyone stood on guard, already unsettled by the flowers. But it was nothing that could harm them, just a girl looking for the man she loved. And how could that girl not recognize the Raichands?

"Piya!" Haseena called out, eyes wide. Without hesitation, Piya ran into them, pointing towards Abhay's cabin. She looked worried, and tried to hurry them down the flower path. She couldn't get past the trees that surrounded the cabin, for some reason. And this was her last night to see him. She wanted to say goodbye, properly.

"She wants us to follow the path. We must hurry."

The path became dark, so dark that the only light came from the ominous glow of the flowers. Even the vampires couldn't see. But Piya could, and she tried to run as fast as her feet could carry, leaving the rest behind. She could feel herself fading into nothingness, as the call from above began to strengthen.

Don't take me yet. I want to see him. Just one last time.

His cabin was in sight, but an ugly darkness began to surround it. A barrier threw her back, and caged her in front and back. Before her eyes, Abhay stood quietly in the center. He looked up, knowing she was there, surrounded by a spectre sent to fulfil the exchange. Seeing the worry in her eyes, his heart began to waver.

He hated that. He needed to keep his resolve.

For her. Do it for her.

"Stop caring for this monster, Piya. Forget me."

She looked up, eyes wide. By then, she started to get inklings of what was happening. Why was no one else there yet? She wished for someone to stop him. Her limbs were shaking. She pounded on the barriers surrounding her, trying to scream his name. Lacking a voice to call him back with, her hand angrily grasped her throat, wanting it to make a sound.

"I....killed you.....with these very hands. They don't deserve to hold you."

She shook her head. He was full of self-loathing, and immense hurt. Every silent shout of hers bloomed another red spider lily. The distance between them grew larger. He was moving away from her, towards that distant shore.

This was her biggest fear, him learning the truth.

"Will she live?" He asked, facing the messengers of death. The reaper held a stake ready in its palm. Piya grew more and more frantic, as it moved closer to his chest. The lightness in her form was reversing itself slowly.

The girl will live. Promises made by the universe are never broken.

"I'm sorry Piya. This is the only way." He murmured, reaching out his hand. She tried to reach for it too, before it slipped away forever.

The sky rumbled and roared with the power of the universe at work. The reaper extended its arm, one flat against Abhay's back, and drove the stake cleanly through. Without wasting any time. The exchange had been completed. Abhay looked over to her, one last time, falling to his knees. Coughed-up blood dribbled down his chin. Knowing she would live again, it made dying less painful. He only hoped that they would find each other in another life, if not this one. Where he was human like her. Piya ran to his side, trying to get through to him. He looked up at her, head resting in her lap. He reached up, and touched her cheek.

"Live a long, happy life. For me." He whispered. Piya shook her head and held his hands. As his consciousness began to waver, she could feel her own self returning. The worst time to regain that sense of touch, and ability to cry. "I love you..."

"Abhay!" She screamed.

When the sky cleared, his eyes closed for good. The other vampires arrived too late. He was gone. One life for another, that was the promise the universe had made him.

————————————————————————————————————

The warmth of the fireplace, a soft bed. Aromatic candles, and a lover to share the night with. He thought he would burn in the pits of hell, but this was far from it.

Or this was the calm before the storm. The silence before the eternal torture. He would tolerate it all, as long as she was alright up above. He opened his eyes, and looked around. Piya wasn't there, to his relief, but her scent lingered. He got up, and cautiously looked around. Next to his bed, Piya's photo. He picked it up and caressed the glass. A single tear dotted the reflection.

"I'll miss you. Take care of yourself, my love."

He kissed the glass and wiped it clean of blood. Looking around, this room seemed to be his own but not of the same house. He didn't recognize this place at all. Staring out the window, another forest. At least that was the same. But his perception of the afterlife was sorely miscalculated.

"So Hell isn't constantly on fire."

He looked at his reflection in the mirror. The stake wound was there as a pinkish scar, to stay as a reminder of his sacrifice. He traced his fingers over it, the pain in his heart still lingering. How he wished he could be more selfish and check on her once, or ask to see if she was okay. The door opened, and there Haseena was standing. Abhay looked over and his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Mom?"

He tried to convince himself that it was an illusion.

"You're finally awake, Abhay? Thank goodness."

Haseena walked before him. She placed her hands on his shoulders and took a good look at him. Ten years had gone by without a trace. But she had always missed her dear son. She was thankful that he was still with them. Alive and walking.

Abhay took one of her hands, baffled by the growing feeling of reality. With his conflicting suspicion, he dropped it and stepped back, even though his heart knew Haseena was really there.

"I don't understand. No, this is not real. I'm dead, aren't I?"

Haseena shook her head, crossing her arms, though he was very close to it. As a result of the wounds, he remained unconscious for an entire month, needing recuperation from such a powerful strike.

"Us vampires are already dead, Abhay. Have you forgotten?"

He frowned, getting more agitated as Haseena continued to beat around the bush. She was brushing it off like it was nothing. Like things were normal.

"This isn't funny, Mom. Why are you here? You shouldn't be here..."

His voice trailed. Before Haseena could reply, the door creaked open again. That lovely scent of hers filled the room once more, distracting him. His love, his Piya, stood waiting, at the door. Upon seeing him well, she couldn't stop herself from running straight into his arms.

"Abhay...you're okay..."

He was in shock. Was this a cruel trick? Why was Piya here? He instinctively held her tighter. Haseena spoke upon his confusion.

"Your life was spared, Abhay. And hers returned too. An unjust separation was corrected by the universe, seeing the strength of your love. Though, it did come with a price."

Piya hid herself deep in his embrace, sobbing and pressing her face into his chest. He too couldn't hold his tears back anymore, and nuzzled her hair, hands wandering her back. Haseena softly smiled, and left the two alone. They needed the time.

"You're really back....," he murmured.

Though Piya was here, with him, he couldn't help but notice that something was different about her. Something was still missing. His palm fared over her back again, where her heart should have been beating underneath.

Why is your heart so quiet?

In fact, he couldn't hear it at all. His favorite sound was gone. Piya also didn't feel warm, and her features had sharpened. Darker, fuller locks, a paler but pinkish skin, eyes like stars. Far too beautiful for something of this world. He pulled her face up, seeing bloodied tears running down her cheeks. She hastily wiped them.

"Piya....you're..." He stared at the redness of them, making sure they weren't just his imagination. His palm laid itself over her heart again. Piya swallowed nervously. She knew this was the last thing he could have ever wanted for her. "How?"

"Like mom said, I could only come back like this. That was the price I had to pay to reverse my death. My humanity."

Abhay shook his head, eyes wide in shock.

"No no no.....it can't....."

Piya covered his mouth with her hand, incredibly tired of his selfishness.

"Shush. Not a single word out of you. Do you know how much worry you put me in, Abhay? You didn't wake up for a whole month. I really thought I lost you. Who told you to do something so stupid? Just because I couldn't speak then doesn't mean you can do anything you want."

After giving him a piece of her mind, she slumped to the floor, bursting into tears. Abhay followed. He hated seeing her cry more than anything else.

"I took your life, Piya. And if my life is enough to bring you back, I would happily give it. And I did."

He shut his eyes, remembering her shrieks as he mercilessly ripped through her throat. Piya cupped his cheeks and shook her head.

"It wasn't your fault, Abhay. Maithili was just using you to get rid of me. That means she killed me then, right?"

"Don't try to let it slide, Piya. I let myself get controlled. I betrayed you."

"No you didn't. What you did a month ago was betrayal. Did you really think I could live a happy life without you? If you died, I would never forgive myself. Every waking moment, I would only remember you."

She blubbered on and on through her tears, grasping for his shirt. Abhay let himself go and held her close, kissing her all over. Neither of them had to wait for the other after all. Piya took his hand and squeezed.

"You don't hate me?"

She pressed her fingers to his lips again, angrily shaking her head.

"This is why I didn't tell you. I knew you would do this. My love has no room for hate, understood?"

Abhay nodded. He let her scold him as much as she wanted, having missed the sound of her voice immensely. The universe had given them another chance, an eternity together. At some point, he started to laugh. He did promise her that he would always smile. Now was the time to uphold that promise.

"I really missed you, Piya. Even if I didn't remember you, my heart always did."

She smiled through her tears and wiped them with his shirt. She was glad he was still with her. This was just a small price to pay for the endless time they now had together. Her new life would begin and end with him.

Abhay sat back against the foot of the bed, holding her close. They stared into each other's eyes, Abhay's fingers now running through her hair.

"Where are we, anyway? Staying in Dehradun isn't possible anymore."

"Manali. Our new home."

Her eyes were beautiful, her voice was heavenly. He acknowledged her answer and dipped his head. Upon her lips, he gave a tender kiss, missing the taste of them. Now that neither one of them was prone to losing their breath, the kiss drew on and on until a knock interrupted them. Piya wiped both their tears and helped him up.

"Careful." She coaxed. He stumbled out of weakness over his feet, sitting on the bed with her help. Piya opened the door, letting Haseena in. She had several blood bags in her hands, and left them on the table next to Abhay's side of the bed.

"You're going to need a lot of blood, Abhay. I'll leave these here. Piya, make sure he finishes them. He needs strength."

She nodded, and filled a glass with the first one. Abhay took it, taking note of her reactions throughout. She seemed completely unbothered by it.

"And you?" He offered.

"Dad has been teaching me how to hunt. I already had my fill. This is all yours."

He nodded, and emptied the glass faster than she could a small rabbit. Eyes closed in instant relief. Piya then joined him in bed, and cuddled closer, entwining their fingers. It was past midnight, but she was still here. She would always be there, from now on.

"You'll always stay by my side?" Abhay selfishly asked. Piya nodded.

"Always. Promise." She hooked their pinkies together and kissed his cheek. The sight outside was one to marvel at, she thought, as she stared out the window. She looked at Abhay. "Can we go for a long walk, when you're feeling better? We have ten years to catch up on."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

145 18 9
"You and I are not from the same world, Abhiya. This world will never let us be together" ~ Aryan Jeh
1.6K 137 12
Hello everyone, I have written my version of story on our favorite couple Abhiya. It start after Piya's memory loss however it is a tangent from ther...
41.9K 1.8K 88
#130 on 3.2.2018 #2 on 6.7.2018 in pkyek Abhiya Forever PKYEK Season 4 Finally everyone's back again.. But.. Will their past lives affect them? Or w...
26.3K 897 17
This story is based on Track where Abhi get hit by a bullet and get mentally ill