He Says He's Just A Friend

By jms777

Emmet and Clay did not meet on the best of terms, but that doesn't stop them from becoming fast friends. As t... More

Chapter 1 - The Very First Night
Chapter 2 - Is It Really So Strange?
Chapter 3 - Speak Now
Chapter 4 - Fearless
Chapter 5 - The Way You Make Me Feel
Chapter 6 - Jump Then Fall
Chapter 7 - Well I Wonder
Chapter 8 - It's Nice to Have a Friend
Chapter 9 - Hold On
Chapter 10 - I Knew You Were Trouble
Chapter 11 - Can't Fight This Feeling
Chapter 12 - Crush Culture
Chapter 13 - Holy Ground
Chapter 14 - I Want You to Want Me
Chapter 15 - Peace
Chapter 16 - I Want the One I Can't Have
Chapter 17 - Gorgeous
Chapter 18 - I Want to Hold Your Hand
Chapter 19 - Play the Game
Chapter 20 - I'm Only Me When I'm With You
Chapter 21 - Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
Chapter 22 - Stay Stay Stay
Chapter 23 - I Wish You Would
Chapter 24 - Addicted to Love
Chapter 25 - Should've Said No
Chapter 26 - Fight or Flight
Chapter 27 - Treacherous
Chapter 28 - The Cut That Always Bleeds
Chapter 29 - Illicit Affairs
Chapter 30 - Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
Chapter 32 - All You Need Is Love
Chapter 33 - Epiphany
Chapter 34 - Run
Chapter 35 - You're All I Need to Get By
Chapter 36 - The Best Day
Chapter 37 - At Last
Chapter 38 - Hammer To Fall
Chapter 39 - The Boy with the Thorn in His Side
Chapter 40 - Everything Has Changed
Chapter 41 - Do You Want to Know A Secret
Chapter 42 - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
Chapter 43 - Everybody Hurts
Chapter 44 - This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Chapter 45 - Dancing With Our Hands Tied
Chapter 46 - I Contain Multitudes
Chapter 47 - Hoax
Chapter 48 - You've Got a Friend
Chapter 49 - Long Story Short
Chapter 50 - Haunted
Chapter 51 - How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)
Chapter 52 - I Want to Break Free
Chapter 53 - Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
Chapter 54 - King of My Heart
Chapter 55 - Shiny Happy People
Chapter 56 - Wild Night
Chapter 57 - A Place in This World
Chapter 58 - Feels Like the First Time
Chapter 59 - Afterglow
Chapter 60 - Look What You Made Me Do
Chapter 61 - Everything I Wanted
Chapter 62 - This Love
Chapter 63 - You Can't Always Get What You Want
Chapter 64 - Under Pressure
Chapter 65 - So It Goes...
Chapter 66 - What's On My Mind
Chapter 67 - Friends Will Be Friends
Chapter 68 - Accept Yourself
Chapter 69 - The Story of Us
Chapter 70 - Everybody Knows
Chapter 71 - Tolerate It
Chapter 72 - I Think He Knows
Chapter 73 - Call It What You Want
Chapter 74 - Out in the Cold
Chapter 75 - Shake It Off
Chapter 76 - Just the Two of Us
Chapter 77 - ...Ready for It?
Chapter 78 - Come Together
Chapter 79 - Closure
Chapter 80 - Comfort Crowd
Chapter 81 - Crazy
Epilogue I - Welcome to New York
Epilogue II - In the Future When All's Well

Chapter 31 - It's Time to Go

3.4K 192 37
By jms777

- Emmett -

Did Clay really just say that? Surely, I had water in my ears and misheard him. Right?

I couldn't believe it. Clay just called me hot. Not attractive, or handsome, as some might say if they were—as Clay put it—speaking objectively. Hot was a word used to describe someone you were attracted to. Not acknowledging some idea of beauty standards or whatever the hell Clay said. That's how I used it, anyway. Maybe he didn't mean it that way.

After a few minutes of awkward silence, Carrie declared she was "voracious" and that "comestibles" were required "expeditiously." She was really getting into using that ACT vocabulary word-a-day calendar. Determined to get a better score than her last attempt.

Clay and I followed her out of the pool, wrapping towels around ourselves as we headed inside for a snack. Clay leaned close to me and whispered, "Does she always talk like Moira Rose?"

I laughed. Partially because that was hilarious, and I hadn't considered it before. And partly because if he could make jokes, then he wasn't freaking out.

I tried not to stare at Clay, relaxing on the barstool, with no shirt, one arm draped over the back. Clay had a perfect balance of lean and muscular. He had nicely defined pecs, and when he breathed in deep, I could see his abs, and of course, even though I'd denied it, he had an amazing ass, too. And don't even get me started on his back muscles. It still surprised me he hated sports. Playing them, that is. He watched them obsessively with his stepdad, which drove me crazy. It was almost impossible to get him out of the house when a big game was on.

Clay looked at me, and I instantly averted my gaze over to Carrie, who was wiping a glob of ranch dressing off her boob.

"Please tell me you're not going to lick that off your finger," I said.

"Well, now I'm not." She grabbed a paper towel to clean her hand, glaring at me.

"You're so gross."

Carrie scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Please! If he did that—" she ticced her head toward Clay "—you'd cream your pants."

"Carrie!" My voice went up three octaves.

Her eyes widened a fraction. She turned to Clay. "I didn't mean you, specifically. Just a guy. Any guy."

Clay blinked a few times. His eyes jumped between us, his mouth hanging open. "I'm sorry. What are you talking about? I zoned out."

"Nothing," Carrie and I said in chorus.

Carrie's phone beeped, distracting her.

"Seriously," Clay said. "What did I miss?"

"Just Carrie being gross," I said.

Something hit my forehead and dropped onto the counter. A carrot stick.

I glared at Carrie, who was typing with a huge smile on her face. "Sorry, boys, but I got a better offer." She looked at both of us in turn. "Jackson's taking me to dinner. So, you've got to scoot."

"Can we go to your house?" Clay asked me, his brows raised hopefully. "I need to talk to you about something."

"Sure."

"Let me grab my clothes." Clay jumped up and hurried out the back door.

I picked up the carrot stick that assaulted me and threw it at Carrie. It landed in her cleavage. She plucked it out and bit it in half aggressively.

"Seriously, Care? 'Cream your pants.' Are you fucking kidding me?"

"Sorry."

"That's the second time in a week you've made a crack like that to him about me. You know how much he means to me. I don't want to lose him because you can't keep your big fat mouth shut."

"You're torturing yourself, Emmie. You can't be in love with him and be his friend."

"Why not? Isn't being his friend better than being nothing?"

"It's not healthy." Carrie pointed her half eaten carrot at me, accusatorially. "And I know he's the reason you started screwing that scumbag Alfie again. You either need to get over Clay, and truly be just his friend. Or let him go."

My head jerked back. "I'm sorry. Did you and your mom have a Freaky Friday situation? Because last time I checked, she was the only shrink in the house."

"Go ahead, deflect. That's real mature, Emmett."

"Fuck you!"

"Fuck you!"

"What's going on?" Clay asked, taking a tentative step inside. He was holding his clothes in his arms.

"Let's go," I snapped, though my ire belonged solely to Carrie.

Carrie threw her arms out to the side. "Fine by me."

Clay chased after me. "I'm not dressed."

"You can get dressed at my house."

The double doors of Dr. Herrera's office slid open. She stepped out, blocking the front door. She removed her glasses and surveyed my face, then Clay's. "What's with all the yelling?"

"Why don't you ask your colleague, Dr. Carrie? She's so wise. I'm sure she can explain it better than I ever could." I turned to face the kitchen and yelled, "With horrifically misused vocabulary words."

"That is erroneous and deleterious!" Carrie shouted from the kitchen.

I grabbed Clay by the hand and dragged him through the front door before Dr. Herrera could force me and Carrie to sit down couple's therapy style. It wouldn't be the first time.

Clay jogged beside me to keep up with my determined stride.

"Are you okay?" Clay asked. "I've never seen you like that."

"She pissed me off. And I don't want to talk about it."

Noticing that my mother's car was gone, I took a sharp left turn, still pulling Clay behind me. I went to the gate for our backyard. I left my keys and phone at home, since I was just across the street and my mother was there when I left. We had a spare key for the back door hidden under a rock at the base of the birdbath for times such as this.

I somehow got the key and got inside without ever releasing Clay's hand. And Clay never tried to take it away.

But I had to let go now. I had no reason to hold on. As much as I might want to. Staring at our joined hands for a moment longer than I should have, I finally opened my fingers and released Clay, feeling as though I had just severed one of my limbs.

Clay dropped his clothes into one of the dining chairs and immediately threw his arms around my neck. I startled at the sudden skin contact. We'd hugged before, but never like this, with nothing between us to act as a buffer, to keep thoughts of what else we could remove to rid us of all the barriers between us. Clothes. Friendship. Clay's ambiguous sexuality.

I raised my hands to place them on Clay's waist.

I assumed that was a step too far for Clay because he took a step back. But maybe I was wrong, because he didn't drop his arms as I expected. He leaned back just far enough so that his face was in front of mine. He gripped my biceps. His eyes searched for something. Maybe the answer to my fight with Carrie. Maybe something more.

Clay's eyes drifted down to my lips—which I had noticed was becoming a pattern. His lips parted. As his bewitching brown eyes met mine again, he whispered, "Emmett?"

"Yeah?"

"I need to tell you something."

"You can tell me anything."

Clay's eyes became bleary. He looked like he was about to cry. "I want you to know—"

Before he could finish his thought, my phone rang. It was sitting on the kitchen table where I left it after breakfast.

Clay looked over at the picture of Alfie, staring out at us with a cocky grin on his face.

Clay snatched his hands back, holding them up in front of his chest. If he clenched them into fists, he'd look like a boxer. He stepped out of my reach. That sensation of losing a limb returned. Only I had a suspicion I just lost much more than that.

Clay cleared his throat. "I have to get dressed."

"That's not what you were going to say." I took a small step forward, and he backed away. Clay shook his head as my incessant ringtone blared. I cursed myself for ever turning off silent mode. It was always a bad idea.

"Your boyfriend is calling," Clay said, backing away. I wasn't sure if I was imagining the harsh tone in his voice or if he was actually upset. "You should answer."

Clay gathered his clothes and turned around, dashing out of the room.

I grunted and grabbed the phone, sliding a finger across the screen to answer. "Hello."

"What's up, sexy?" Alfie asked.

"Nothing. Why?"

"I miss you."

"Translation: you're horny." I was not in the mood for this. I needed to find out what Clay was about to say.

"That, too."

"And I suppose you want me to drop everything to come service your needs?"

"Something like that. Everybody just left. They'll be gone for at least an hour. If you hurry, we could get in at least one good time."

I laughed, but not because I found it cute or funny. Mostly I found it annoying.

"Are you coming over or not?" Alfie sounded irritated. "If you're not, I might as well go ahead and take care of myself."

I rolled my eyes. "How can I pass up an offer like that?"

"Is that a yes?"

"It's a—" I paused when I heard the front door close. "Hold on."

I pulled the phone from my ear and ran to the living room.

Through the front window, I watched Clay getting in his car, fully dressed. Clay wiped the back of his hand across his cheek. He was crying.

Before I could even think to move, Clay quickly reversed his car out of the driveway.

"Emmett!" Alfie screamed loud enough to be heard even with the phone hanging down at my side.

I brought it to my lips to say, "Handle it yourself. I gotta go." I hung up and dropped the phone on the couch, staring through the window.

Had I been right about Clay? Was he going to confess some important secret? Could it possibly be what I hoped it was?

And the most important question: Had I just royally fucked it all up?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 41.1K 75
Jesse's life turns upside down once the football player from his school finds out he's gay. Because of that he has to obey to jock's every command or...
239K 15.1K 48
BOYS' LOVE Tucker Hill is simultaneously caught in the middle of two very complex relationships- one with his new step-brother, and one with his chil...
95.8K 4.3K 32
Clay's life seems fine, but is everything except from fine due to bullies ruining his happiness day by day. His grandpa is the only one who knows eve...
72.8K 2.5K 43
When two lovers' best friends meet for the first time... lots of feelings can rise. Attraction, confusion, lust... love? Will they be able to overcom...