He Says He's Just A Friend

By jms777

Emmet and Clay did not meet on the best of terms, but that doesn't stop them from becoming fast friends. As t... More

Chapter 1 - The Very First Night
Chapter 2 - Is It Really So Strange?
Chapter 3 - Speak Now
Chapter 4 - Fearless
Chapter 5 - The Way You Make Me Feel
Chapter 6 - Jump Then Fall
Chapter 7 - Well I Wonder
Chapter 8 - It's Nice to Have a Friend
Chapter 9 - Hold On
Chapter 10 - I Knew You Were Trouble
Chapter 11 - Can't Fight This Feeling
Chapter 12 - Crush Culture
Chapter 13 - Holy Ground
Chapter 14 - I Want You to Want Me
Chapter 15 - Peace
Chapter 16 - I Want the One I Can't Have
Chapter 17 - Gorgeous
Chapter 18 - I Want to Hold Your Hand
Chapter 19 - Play the Game
Chapter 20 - I'm Only Me When I'm With You
Chapter 21 - Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
Chapter 22 - Stay Stay Stay
Chapter 24 - Addicted to Love
Chapter 25 - Should've Said No
Chapter 26 - Fight or Flight
Chapter 27 - Treacherous
Chapter 28 - The Cut That Always Bleeds
Chapter 29 - Illicit Affairs
Chapter 30 - Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
Chapter 31 - It's Time to Go
Chapter 32 - All You Need Is Love
Chapter 33 - Epiphany
Chapter 34 - Run
Chapter 35 - You're All I Need to Get By
Chapter 36 - The Best Day
Chapter 37 - At Last
Chapter 38 - Hammer To Fall
Chapter 39 - The Boy with the Thorn in His Side
Chapter 40 - Everything Has Changed
Chapter 41 - Do You Want to Know A Secret
Chapter 42 - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
Chapter 43 - Everybody Hurts
Chapter 44 - This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Chapter 45 - Dancing With Our Hands Tied
Chapter 46 - I Contain Multitudes
Chapter 47 - Hoax
Chapter 48 - You've Got a Friend
Chapter 49 - Long Story Short
Chapter 50 - Haunted
Chapter 51 - How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)
Chapter 52 - I Want to Break Free
Chapter 53 - Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
Chapter 54 - King of My Heart
Chapter 55 - Shiny Happy People
Chapter 56 - Wild Night
Chapter 57 - A Place in This World
Chapter 58 - Feels Like the First Time
Chapter 59 - Afterglow
Chapter 60 - Look What You Made Me Do
Chapter 61 - Everything I Wanted
Chapter 62 - This Love
Chapter 63 - You Can't Always Get What You Want
Chapter 64 - Under Pressure
Chapter 65 - So It Goes...
Chapter 66 - What's On My Mind
Chapter 67 - Friends Will Be Friends
Chapter 68 - Accept Yourself
Chapter 69 - The Story of Us
Chapter 70 - Everybody Knows
Chapter 71 - Tolerate It
Chapter 72 - I Think He Knows
Chapter 73 - Call It What You Want
Chapter 74 - Out in the Cold
Chapter 75 - Shake It Off
Chapter 76 - Just the Two of Us
Chapter 77 - ...Ready for It?
Chapter 78 - Come Together
Chapter 79 - Closure
Chapter 80 - Comfort Crowd
Chapter 81 - Crazy
Epilogue I - Welcome to New York
Epilogue II - In the Future When All's Well

Chapter 23 - I Wish You Would

3.7K 205 20
By jms777

- Emmett -

There was a brief knock on the front door right before Clay rushed in and smiled at me. He stayed true to his promise. He didn't disappear. In fact, he came around almost every day after school for the next month to hang out. Even when I was doing my homework. He'd sit on the floor next to my desk doing his—inevitably finishing first, since he wasn't bogged down with an AP course load. Then he'd take a nap on my bed while I finished and we'd watch movies or go out.

Sunday was the only day I rarely saw much of him. He spent the mornings with his other friends for what he called "Bro Time." The evenings, he spent with his family. Occasionally, the Millers would invite me around for Sunday dinner, which was always nice. Clay's parents had taken to treating me like one of their children, asking about my schooling and extracurriculars. They seemed quite impressed to learn that I was the senior class treasurer. They even inquired sometimes about my dating life, just as they did with Clay and Rachel. Mrs. Miller in particular seemed invested in finding me a boyfriend. She even tried to set me up with the gay bike messenger who delivered to the law office where she worked as a paralegal. He was cute, but he and I had nothing in common. We barely spoke on our one and only date. I only went out with him because I was terrible at saying no to authority figures. Also, I wanted her to like me, so she'd continue inviting me to dinner.

When Mrs. Miller brought up that the nephew of a friend had recently come out as bisexual two weeks later, Clay shut her down, shouting, "Jesus Christ, Mom! He doesn't want you to get him dates. He's just too polite to tell you."

Clay immediately apologized for the outburst, but Mr. Miller took away all three of his video game systems for a week for his rudeness.

"Hey!" Clay said, kicking off his flip-flops at the door. "I saw your mom wasn't home, so I figured I'd just let myself in."

He walked over to the couch where I had stretched out on the chaise section, reading The Great Gatsby for the umpteenth time. Clay sat down right next to me—despite the four feet of space on the couch. I was very glad that the incident in my bed hadn't put him off being affectionate toward me. He propped his legs up beside mine, crossing his ankles. My leg hair prickled when his leg brushed against mine. He leaned his head on my shoulder and stared at the pages.

"Did you need something, Clay?" I asked as his toes pressed against my foot, making me lose my place as I thought about the possibility of Clay rubbing that foot up my leg. Or maybe Clay throwing his leg across me, rolling on top of me and pressing his lips against mine.

"Is that for homework?" Clay asked, pulling me back from the fantasy before I got too excited.

"It's for enjoyment."

"Okay, nerd." Clay lifted his head slightly. His eyes couldn't have been more than an inch or two from mine. "Will you go to a party with me, Em?"

"Why?" I asked, distracted by how close he was. Close enough, I could count the freckles on his cheeks if I had the time. I examined his face carefully and inhaled deeply, enjoying that sweet, icy scent of his cologne. I could even smell a hint of sweat beneath it.

Clay also looked me over. "Jackson is begging me to go."

My heartbeat sped up as I thought about how close his lips were to mine. And the fact that we were basically breathing each other's breath. "So, go with Jackson."

"Carrie is going, too. I don't want to be a third wheel." His voice was pleading now.

"I'm sure your other friends will be there."

"They won't. The person throwing it goes to your school, I guess. Everybody there is going to be super preppy. And I don't think I can handle that much khaki and argyle alone."

I cracked up at his pitiful expression. "That's just our uniform. They don't dress like that all the time."

"I beg to differ. I've seen some of those kids in town. They look pretty uptight to me. Definitely members of the Sweater Set."

"You make it sound like they're in a gang."

Clay cracked a smile, amused by the simile. "I bet they could cut you with their starched collars, before beating you over the head with the sticks up their butts."

I shook my head, snickering. "You're so dumb."

And adorable, I added in my mind.

"Please, Ems." He clasped his hands together. His bottom lip jutted out woefully as he rubbed his cheek against my shoulder like a cat seeking attention. "I'll do absolutely anything you want if you do this for me."

Those were dangerous words. Not because I would ever act on them in that way, but for the thoughts they brought up that I kept pushing aside. One day—a day I suspected was fast-approaching—I feared I'd no longer be able to bottle them up anymore.

"Fine." I threw in a groan to show my disdain so Clay would know the sacrifice I was making.

"You are a god." Clay grabbed the side of my head and pressed his lips against my cheek. He pulled back with a blank expression on his face.

That sent a torturous pang through my chest. As much as I relished Clay's friendship, I'd found it difficult to lock those feelings away. I had hoped my crush would fade over time, but it blossomed into something much stronger and deeper the more I got to know him.

To avoid having this tempting offer hanging between us, I closed my book and held it out to Clay. "Read this."

Clay took the book and looked at the cover. He flipped it over to scan the back. "I've already read this, in ninth grade."

"You said you didn't remember any of your assigned reading books."

Clay nodded. "Okay, yeah. That's true."

"It's one of my favorite books, and it's what I want in return."

Clay puckered his lips, examining the cover again. "Can't I just watch the movie?"

I flashed an annoyed grimace, raising a brow. "You said you'd do anything."

"Fuck! I said that, didn't I?" Clay sighed heavily, letting his head drop onto my shoulder. "I really thought you'd just want to take me to, like, one of those tragic German movies again. And I could just sleep through it."

"This is what I want." I tapped the book. "And I want you to really try with it."

"The things I do for you. I swear to God," Clay mumbled. He lifted his head and shook it. "Okay. I'll try."

"Thank you."

Clay flipped through the pages. "Don't you want to finish it first?"

"I've read it like fifty times. And I have another copy."

Clay stopped at a random page, then stared at me. He pointed out the penciled in words. "'Definitely gay behavior,'" he recited. "With three exclamation points?"

My cheeks burned. "I can give you the other copy. It doesn't have all my notes."

Clay snapped the book shut and clutched it against his chest. "I'd rather read this one and see what you thought. It's more fun that way."

"If you say so."

He opened the book again to flip through the pages. "I don't remember there being any gay characters in this. Wasn't it written in, like, the 1920s? I didn't even think they could put gay people in stuff back then."

"You'd be surprised. There are queer characters in literature throughout history. But in the case of Gatsby, it's debatable. I won't spoil it, but some people say a certain character is gay, some people say that the character isn't. You can clearly see which side of the argument I fell on."

"Now I'm super curious to read it." Clay slapped my thigh and jumped up. "Well, I gotta go."

"You just got here."

He raised the book. "I have homework now. Plus, I have to pick Rachel up from practice." Clay flashed a brilliant grin that melted my heart. "You could ride along if you want."

"I'd love to, but I ordered food." I picked up my phone from the arm of the sofa to check the time. "I've still got twenty minutes till it gets here."

"I can't wait that long. Rachel might strangle me if I'm late to pick her up again." He backed toward the door, keeping his eyes trained on me. "But I'll pick you up at eight. Okay?"

"I'm counting the minutes." I said it sarcastically, but I kind of genuinely meant it. I always eagerly anticipated my time with Clay. Only he could have me looking forward to a party with my classmates.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

549K 22.6K 37
#1 in gaypride *********** ©MadnessReverie At this moment, it doesn't matter that Cara is all over me. It doesn't matter that her body feels all wr...
The Best of Us By a

Teen Fiction

16.6K 1.4K 35
[BXB] Seventeen year old Tucker Bailey is spiraling. Sharing a home with his cold father and a hollow shell of an older brother, Tucker struggles to...
27.9K 1.1K 17
"It was the best orgasm I've ever had. It was so intense that for a second there, it felt like my soul would escape through my nipples." Luke and Dan...
95.8K 4.3K 32
Clay's life seems fine, but is everything except from fine due to bullies ruining his happiness day by day. His grandpa is the only one who knows eve...