Ash's Darling | ✔

By Alex_writes42

"Mae, show me." He demanded. I knew this would come up someday. My scars are from years ago when I wasn't hap... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69

Chapter 1

63.2K 768 469
By Alex_writes42

*This book takes place in 2019, just a disclaimer for later in the book*

Esther Mae Harlow (17)
~

Ashton Lee Dalloway (18)
~

~Esther~

I was sitting outside my small town's library. It was a foggy day so no one was out nor was the library open, I like coming here to escape from everything. The library had a garden with a bench where you could sit and read. This is where I came when I didn't want anyone to bother me. Almost nobody ever walked by the library so it was a place I could sit and read or, on the days it's closed, I could sit here and cry and nobody would see me.

So, I was doing just that, sitting on the bench crying my eyes out like a child because it seemed like everything was against me today. I had been here almost an hour, not crying the whole time, mostly just thinking although I had started crying a few minutes ago. Lifting my hand to wipe the  tears off my face, my eyes caught on the town asshole, Ashton Dalloway, walking towards the library. 

He seemed not to notice me and I tried to keep it that way. I stood up and tried to walk away slowly but as I was backing away from the bench my foot got caught on a crack in the concrete, making me fall backwards onto the hard concrete. Pain shot up my leg from my ankle and I let out a yell, cursing myself afterwards for drawing Ash's attention towards me. He spun, not realizing that I had been there. When he realized it was me he decided to be his asshole-ish self

"Falling for me, darling?" He smirked as he walked over to me.

"Fuck off, Ash" I spat, he may have been coming to help me but I wasn't going to let him. I didn't need his help, I was fine on my own. "Go away."

"Shut up and let me help you"

"There's no need I'm fine." As I tried to stand he crossed his arms and lifted his eyebrow as if he was mocking me. I struggled to stand, realizing once I had stood up and braced myself on the bench that I would need crutches if I was going to walk by myself. Sighing, I looked up from my now swollen ankle and realized Ash was still there. I'd expected him to just laugh at me and walk away when I stood up like the asshole he normally was.

He saw my realization that I wasn't able to walk by myself and chuckled. "I may be an asshole but I was taught to help a damsel in distress, Mae." That was one thing about Ash; he always calls me by my middle name, Mae. It annoyed me to my core but no matter how hard I tried to make him stop, he wouldn't. I don't even know how he knew my middle name. I'd never told anyone, the only people who know are my family.

"I'm not a damsel in distress so I think you're good to go."

"Mae, you can't walk on your own and we both know it."

"So I won't walk, I'll call my dad. He'll come pick me up."

"Or you could just let me help you instead of being stubborn."

"No, that's my final answer so just go away." No matter how bad my ankle hurt right now I was not going to accept his help. He was never this nice, it must be some sort of joke between him and his friends. His friends probably dared him to go up to a girl and take her home to hook up with her. That seemed like exactly the type of thing Ash would do.

"Fine, but if you need me, call me, darling. You still have my number right?"

"Yes." I groaned, remembering the school project we had to do together. It was a nightmare but that's a story for another time. He turned and walked away while I called my dad, hoping he picked up.

"Hello?" My dad answered after a few rings. I could hear faint muffled voices behind him and I prayed he was home from the store. He had left two hours ago, normally he would've been done by now and at least on his way home. 

"Hey, could you come pick me up from the library? I think I twisted my ankle."

"I'm still at the store but I'll be home soon. Stay there and I'll come get you."

"No no, dad it's fine, I'll have Josie or Indiana come get me." I tried to convince him I was fine, knowing how worried he got over me at times.

He hesitated. "Alright, text me when you get home."

"I will." I told him before ending the call.

Well so much for that plan.

I dialed Josie's number next, hoping she would be free. "Hello?"

"Hey Jos, I'm at the library and I twisted my ankle, could you come pick me up? Dad's at the store and mom's working."

"Sorry sis, I'm working right now too."

"Shit, I forgot you work today." I sighed, running a hand through my hair.  'It's fine, I'll call Indiana."

There was a loud voice that came from somewhere behind her, yelling at her to get back to work and to get off her phone. "Okay, either way I've got to go, we'll talk when I get home."

"Alright, by-" I was cut off by the ending of the call.

Okay last chance; Indiana. She's my best friend, she won't let me down.

"Hey girl, what's up?"

"Hey, could you come pick me up from the library? I twisted my ankle and I can't walk. My family is all busy."

"Sorry but I'm shopping with my mom right now and I won't be home for a couple hours."

"Damn, okay. I'm going to have to get a ride from Ash then." I groaned, hating that I would have to ask him to come back and pick me up after I just told him I wouldn't need his help.

"ASHTON DALLOWAY ?" Indi almost screamed through the phone, bringing me back to reality. She had always thought Ash and I would be a cute couple and she always tried to get me to talk to him in school yet every time I would roll my eyes and ignore her. She never seem to be deterred though, always trying again the next day. It had become part of our schedule after a while.

I walk into the gym for P.E.; Indiana's already there; I walk over to her; She looks over my shoulder to watch Ashton pass by the gym on his way to whatever class he's going to; She tries to convince me to talk to him; I say no; we bicker for a few minutes until she gives up, knowing he's probably already made it to his class and there's no catching up with him now.

"Yes, it's a long story, don't ask. I'll fill you in later."

"You better!"

"I will. But right now I need to get home."

"Okay call me when you're home."

"Alright."

I groaned again as the call ended. Great, now I have to call the town asshole just because my stupid ankle gave out on me. As I scrolled through my contacts looking for his number I mentally prepared myself for his cockiness. After finding his number I gave myself no time to back out and immediately hit the call button. It only rang twice before he picked up.

"Need my help now?" I could hear the smile in his voice which somehow made this worse.

"Shut up, I'm only calling because everyone else is busy and I can't walk on my own. Trust me, I tried."

"I'm coming, I'll be there in a few minutes."

"Thanks." I ended the call before he could say anything else and sat down on the bench. I had been standing on my good ankle this whole time and it was getting tiring. 

After waiting on the bench awhile I looked at my phone to check the text Indiana just sent me and realized it had been ten minutes since I called Ash. Where was he? I decided to ask but I didn't feel like calling him so instead I just sent him a text. 'Where are you?' Two minutes later I got a reply.

'I'm coming, darling. Just grabbing something first.'

'Hurry up. I just want to go home.' Five minutes later he pulled in the parking lot of the library. As I attempted to walk towards his car he came over and picked me up bridal style, setting me in the passenger seat. My ankle hurt too badly for me to argue. I just wanted to get home, take painkillers and go to bed. 

The second he picked me up I realized how amazing he smelled. He smelled faintly of black coffee and some type of cologne. I wanted to curl up in his arms and fall asleep against his chest. Woah, wait, where did all that come from? I've never thought that about anyone in my life. Pull yourself together Esther, you don't even know why he's doing this for you.

As he got into the driver's seat he reached behind my seat, and pulled out a bag of ice to hand to me. I just stared at him. He brought me an ice pack? Why the hell was he being so nice? This isn't normal for him.

"Take it, Mae" I realized I had just been staring at him and quickly took it and put it on my ankle. "Better? I have painkillers in the glove compartment if you need them."

"Thank you." I said as I got out the painkillers and swallowed one. I didn't know why he was being so nice but I wasn't going to question it right now. I'll ask him some other time.

~Ashton~

When I watched Esther fall right in front of me I knew this was my chance. I'd been trying to get her to notice me for years but she never seemed to care. I had tried everything and she didn't seem to notice me whatsoever. When I saw her crying in front of the library I immediately wanted to kill the bastard who made her cry.

She wasn't mine, nor had she ever been but I'd always felt protective over her. As I walked towards her she tried to walk away, not realizing I'd already seen her. When she backed up she fell and I was too far away to catch her. I tried to help her walk home but she didn't want me to, so as I walked away I told her to call me if she changed her mind.

I was walking to my best friend Seth's house which was only a block or so away because he had borrowed my car and didn't have time to bring it back. Right as I got to Seth's house my phone started ringing. I looked at the contact name. "Esther" It read.

I smiled and picked up the phone. "Need my help now?" I asked.

She told me everyone else was busy and she needed me to come get her.

"I'll be there in a few minutes." I told her. I could've gotten to her in less than a minute but I wanted to get her a few things first.

I went to the little grocery store uptown and got an ice pack and some pain medicine. Then I went back to the library and carried her to my car. I gave her the ice pack and painkillers and she seemed shocked. After she took them she thanked me and we started talking as I drove around town. I knew exactly where she lived but I wanted to talk to her for a little while before I took her home. "So what were you doing at the library while it's closed?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"I was just reading." Liar. "That's where I like to go when I'm sick of being at home." She continued.

"Ah, okay." I said. "So, may I ask why you were crying?"

"What?" Apparently she forgot she was wearing mascara and I could see where it ran down her face. Plus the fact that I saw her crying before she twisted her ankle.

"You have mascara tears down your face, darling. Why were you crying?" I asked again.

She quickly looked in the mirror and started rubbing off the mascara. "It's nothing. Don't worry about it." She said, wiping off the last of it.

"Mae," I said, I saw her look at me as I continued. "don't lie."

"I'm not lying." She tried to convince me.

"And I'm a famous rockstar." I deadpanned. "Now that we've both got the lying out of our systems, tell me."

She sighed. "I'm just not having the best day, okay? That's all."

God dammit, I just want to kiss her and make her feel better.

"Why not?" I asked. "What went wrong?"

"Nothing, but at the same time, everything. It's just one of those days I guess." She finally told me.

I nodded. Something in me was telling me to kiss her but, as much as I wanted to, I knew it was way too early.

I decided to take her home before I had another urge to kiss her. When I pulled into her driveway Esther was already taking off her seat belt like she was going to walk herself inside. "Don't move." I told her as I got out and walked around to her side of the car. I opened her door and picked her up, taking her inside. When we got inside I laid her down on the couch and asked if she needed anything.

"I'll take it from here, Ashton." I spun around, not realizing her older sister, Josie, was home.

"Darling, I thought you said everyone else was busy." I said as I turned back to Esther. Did she just want to spend time with me? It wouldn't make sense though, she'd never shown interest in me before.

"She told me she was at work." Esther replied, glaring at Josie.

"Don't give me that look, Es. I was at work when you called. They ended up letting me off early though. I was about to call you back." Josie confessed.

"Seriously?" Esther sounded annoyed.

"Yeah, sorry sis" Josie said.

"Do you need anything before I go, Mae?" I asked, turning back towards her.

"No, I'm good. Thank you." She gave me a soft smile before looking back at her sister.

"No problem. Text me if you need anything." I told her as I left.

I drove to my office, hoping Seth would be there. I always tell him about Esther even though he doesn't give a fuck. I have to talk to someone about her otherwise I'll go crazy.

As I got in the building I checked the kitchen first, knowing that was where they all normally hung out although as I walked in I found no one there. Confused, I left the kitchen and checked the meeting room, finding my whole crew seemingly in the middle of a meeting.

"What is going on here?" I asked.

"Oh, hey boss." Kyle turned around.

"We were just planning what our roles were going to be tonight." Parker informed me. "Unless you already have a plan." He added.

I groaned. I forgot we had to go break a fucker's door down tonight because the police found child porn on his computer. Yet the police can't go get him by themselves for god knows what reason. So now I have to take my guys and go get him. Ah the joys of being part of the FBI. I was looking forward to spending the rest of the day talking to Seth about Esther but now that's out the window.

"Did you forget about it?" Seth laughed as he heard me groan.

"No." I lied. "Give me the picture of the floor plan and I'll figure out the plan." I demanded as I walked to my office. There was no way I'm going with whatever plan they came up with. Half of them are dumbasses anyway.

I walked into my office and sat down at my desk, looking up when I heard the office door open. Seth walked to my desk and gave me the floor plan. "You forgot about tonight didn't you?" He asked as he stepped back.

"Shut up." I told him as he laughed.

"What were you doing that took all your focus away from this?" Seth questioned me.

"I was helping Esther. Now, get out while I figure out this plan."

"Ah, the love interest. How is she? I haven't seen her in a while."

"Get out." I told him again. He chuckled as he walked out. I needed to figure out this plan and get Esther out of my head. Like that's ever going to happen.

------------------------------------

Author notes:

This is my first time uploading anything on wattpad so if anything is done wrong, that's why. Sorry about that.

I uploaded a scene of this book on tiktok and a bunch of people wanted me to make a wattpad book so here it is. I have a lot of ideas for this book and I'm so excited for y'all to see it all come together.

P.S. I know this first chapter sucks but bare with me I promise it does get better.

[Edited 3/14/22]

xoxo ~ Alex

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

247K 7K 20
Before I knew it my shirt was torn away from my torso and tossed on the floor, Charlie's doing the same. Our kiss intensified and I felt him groan ag...
4.3K 446 18
Highest rank in teen fiction - #60 His tongue trails down from my jawline towards my neck. His hands beneath my shirt trying to feel each fibre of my...
2.1M 43.8K 54
[WARNING - EXPLICIT CONTENT] I tried getting out of his hold, but he had more strength in his finger than I had in my body. He flipped me over until...
2.3K 273 19
"Are you sure about this?" "Oh my God, just kiss me already!" That's all it took for him to embrace my body and take me in for a deep kiss that sent...