๐’๐ก๐š๐ญ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐ž๐ ๐‚๐ซ๐จ๐ฐ๐ง...

By imtheladyoflight

"๐‘‚๐‘›๐‘’ ๐‘…๐‘–๐‘›๐‘” ๐‘ก๐‘œ ๐‘Ÿ๐‘ข๐‘™๐‘’ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’๐‘š ๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘™. ๐‘ฉ๐’–๐’• ๐’•๐’‰๐’†๐’“๐’† ๐’˜๐’‚๐’” ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’Ž๐’๐’“๐’†." Daeriel knew that f... More

prologue
I. THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
1| arrivals
2| the council
3| leaving the haven
4| the cold
5| glaurielle
6| the watcher in the water
7| conversations in the dark
8| pippin's mistake
9| what lies beneath
10| into the fire
11| the lady of light
12| a leaf in a river
13| the river
14| boromir's oath
15| the first gold knife
16| the breaking of the fellowship
II. THE TWO TOWERS
17| in pursuit
18| forsaken
19| into fangorn
20| a broken heart
21| amarya
22| thรฉoden's return
23| anchor
24| drowning
25| from greenwood to mirkwood
26| innocent
27| promise
28| an ill-fated reunion
29| before the storm
30| balance
31| so it begins
32| retreat
33| breaking point
34| a new hope
35| embrace
sneak peak + q&a
III. THE RETURN OF THE KING
36| The Fall of Isengard
37| Return to Edoras
38| Giving in
39| Maeglor
40| Scarred
41| The Seeing-Stone
42| Separated
43| Getting away
44| Lost in him
45| Nightmares
46| Morning
47| The bow and the arrow
48| Awakened
49| A dream?
50| The reflection
51| A fool's paradise
52| The second gold knife
53| Numb
54| Futility
55| By one's own hand
56| The letter
57| where the snowbourn meets the entwash
58| unpleasant truths
59| the silent house
60| the catalyst
61| too much
62| why we fight
63| the province of men
64| dรฉjร  vu
65| breaking silence
66| a broken spirit
67| celebrรญan
68| insurmountable
asking your thoughts!
69| a ship on the river
70| Smoke on Pelennor Fields
71| Far from over
72| Terror
not an update, sorry!
73| No Man

56| the mirror

2.7K 156 16
By imtheladyoflight

This chapter is dedicated to BlackUpir! Thank you for your votes my friend!

────── ༻♛༺ ──────

Legolas and Aragorn widened their eyes, glancing at each other as my words confirmed their suspicions.

How could this be? My mind whirred as a million thoughts whizzed through my head. I thought I was safe?

But part of me knew that I would never be safe.

"When was this given to you?" I demanded, not caring about how harsh my voice was coming across.

"L-less than ten minutes ago, why?" The guard replied, visible confusion written all over his expression.

But his words were all it took for a jolt of fear to bury deep in the pit of my stomach. Immediately, Aragorn turned to the guard.

"Notify Théoden and Éomer immediately that there has been a breach in the city's defences."

His voice was tense and authoritative, leaving no room for discussion as he continued to give orders

"Maeglor is a dangerous individual and he may still be here. Lock down the city gates. No one comes in, no one goes out."

At the urgent tone of his voice, the guard instantly nodded, before rushing off to inform the King.

"There's no point." I lamented, my voice low as I watched the guard disappear around the corner. "Maeglor would be long gone by now.

All my panicked thoughts flew through my mind like swarms of insects, the millions of catastrophic thoughts buzzing in my head, consuming all other thoughts and leaving behind nothing but dread and anxiety.

"What does the rest of the message say?" Legolas asked, his tone dripping with urgency.

I opened my mouth to speak, only to stop, my mind ruminating over the words that were written on that piece of paper. Do I reveal everything?

Folding the paper back up in my hands, I shoved it into my pocket before glancing back up at the two of them as they waited expectantly.

"He wants...he wants me to go out and meet him. Where the Snowbourn meets the Entwash in the east."

I paused, knowing that they would not like what I had to say next. "Alone."

The response was immediate.

"Absolutely not." Legolas instantly shot back. "That's a seventy-five mile journey! Don't tell me you're considering it."

A look of disbelief passed over Aragorn's expression when he noticed my silence.

"Daeriel..."

"I have to end this..." I murmured, wringing my hands before me.

"Then we'll come with you." Legolas proposed, crossing his arms.

"No." I immediately replied, my gaze shooting up to meet his.

That would put everyone else in jeopardy. Maeglor was something I needed to deal with alone. Especially given the second half of the letter. The part I had left out.

"I must go alone."

The blonde elf sighed in frustration.

"We just had this conversation, Daeriel!"

I could hear the exasperation building up in his tone, but I couldn't blame him for it. I could only try and persuade them that this was the best choice for me. For all of us.

"I don't think he wishes to kill me." That was true. "He's had plenty of chances to do so already, and he hasn't, if that makes you feel any better."

"It does not." Legolas replied with an exaggerated sigh. "Do you even hear yourself right now? On multiple occasions, he has almost killed me and you!"

"Way to rub salt in my wounds..." I mumbled, folding my arms over my chest and pursing my lips.

"Sorry, but if you go alone, you will not return." Legolas shot back matter-of-factly.

"Fine, okay?" I threw my hands in the air in surrender. "I'll wait. But there's only so much time until his 'messages'-"

I paused, my eyes meeting theirs in a glare.  "-become deadly."

There was a moment of silence as I let my words sink in, but it was broken by the arrival of the same guard who left not so long ago.

"M'lord Aragorn and Legolas..." His complexion was pale, "King Theoden has summoned you."

My brows furrowed. He only just left, what could be so urgent?  His next few words provided a grave answer to my question.

"A body has been found, stripped of his guard's attire."

"What?"

The pit in the bottom of my stomach deepened at the implication of his words. Swallowing, I stood to my feet, my voice void of emotion.

"I guess they already have."

With those words, I turned and walked away until I reached the stone staircase. Quickly glancing at my surroundings, I slowly unfolded the crumpled sheet of paper in my hands before taking in the entire message.

Gwannas lû and, muin nín Elle.
(It's been too long, my dear Elle)

I hope your dreams of late have been...sweet. Mine certainly have.

On another note, look in the elf prince's bed. I have sent you and him a gift. Think of it as sort of an...apology for sinking an arrow into his flesh and spilling his blood all over the cold hard stone.

I won't do it again. I think.

I clenched my jaw, my mind flashing back to that terrifying moment as I continued to read.

If you wish to return the gift, you can find me where Snowbourn meets the Entwash. But only you. Not your hound, not the elf prince, just you. I imagine we have some things to discuss. I'm sure you seek answers.

Harthon cened le ennas,
(I hope to see you there,)

Maeglor.

My fingers clenched into fists, crumpling the paper in my hand. I knew he was only trying to get under my skin, but it was working.

As my heart continued to pound relentlessly against my ribcage, I hastily descended the staircase, my pace speeding up into a jog as I noticed the open door to our sleeping quarters.

Rushing into the room, I was met with quiet. An almost unsettling quiet. Glancing behind my shoulder to ensure no one was following, I slowly approached Legolas' unslept-in bed.

Crouching down, I gripped the end of the blanket. I swallowed, before pulling it back in one fluid motion.

Nothing.

A sense of relief flooded my body at the thought that, perhaps, Maeglor was just bluffing.

But the sense of reassurance was short-lived when I noticed something sticking out from beneath the pillow. Something familiar. Painfully familiar.

I lifted the pillow, and my eyes widened.

There on the bed was an arrow. The same one I had pulled from Legolas' abdomen as he lay bleeding on the floor of Helms Deep. I knew it was the same one because the white feathers of the tail were still stained with dried blood.

With trembling hands, I picked up the arrow, my vision swirling as the implication became very clear.

No matter where I ran, Maeglor would always be able to get to me.

I would never be safe.

Except now, it wasn't just about me.

The arrow in the bed was him sending a message that he knew my weakness, and he would not be afraid to exploit it. He was a shadow, who could slip in and out as he pleased, and he wanted me to know that no guard or wall could ever stop him from hurting the ones I cared about.

A sound caught my attention. A strange low buzzing sound. Slowly, I turned to face where it was coming from. A mirror hung from the wall beside me. I tentatively approached it, each step only increasing the apprehension in my heart, the buzzing only intensifying in my eardrums.

As I stood before the mirror, I gazed at my reflection, with still no explanation for the source of the buzzing. Tired, dull green irises stared back at me, dark circles decorating the underside of her eyes as my reflection stared back at me. The arrow was clutched in her fingers.

And then she smiled.

My heart leapt to my throat.

Piece by piece, her skin seemed to melt away into discoloured, decomposing flesh and bone, until there, in the mirror, shrouded in the shadows of the room, stood the rotting woman, her flesh just as decayed, the grey of her one eye just as soulless as last time I saw her in the inescapable wintery hellscape.

My mouth went dry. I couldn't move. I was paralysed, unable to look behind me to see if there was actually anything behind me, unable to tear my eyes away from the world behind the mirror. All I could do was continue to gaze at the reflection.

And then my eyes fell upon what was behind her.

Lifeless bodies piled over each other, the buzzing of the flies that swarmed the pile consuming my hearing. I watched as every single person I ever loved lay dead on the floor. It was an image I had seen time and time again, and yet it never grew less gut-wrenching to see.

I felt a single tear roll down my cheek, my fists clenched so hard I was sure it would draw blood as the reflection continued to pull me in.

I could make out one of the bodies moving. They weakly lifted their head, revealing soft blue eyes.

Legolas.

Suddenly, standing before me was my own reflection once again. In her hand was a bow. My bow.

I watched, unable to move as she drew back the bowstring. My hand flew to my mouth, stifling a scream as I watched my own reflection fire an arrow towards Legolas. I squeezed my eyes shut just before impact.

Opening them back up, I watched as the elf's body grew limp, becoming just another body on a pile full of corpses.

I couldn't take it anymore. Wrenching myself free from whatever grip constrained me, I grabbed the mirror before tearing it off the wall with all my strength.

The sound of shattering glass pierced through the stifling haze of silence as shards of the mirror hurtled across the floor. Slivers of light flashed against the wall as the mirror frame skidded to a halt. With that, the room was plunged into silence once again, save for the sound of my heavy breaths.

But I knew she would never be truly gone.

As I stood in the centre of the chaos, a slow sense of resolution began to take hold.

I needed to end this. I couldn't let anyone else get hurt because of me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77.2K 4.7K 43
Frodo was meant to be the Ring-bearer. But when he falls under Sauron's control and vanishes before Elrond's council, where does that leave the Fello...
79.3K 4K 31
Arya, Merry and Pippin has been taken Frodo and Sam has left to finish the mission Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn are on a hunt to save their friends ***...
83.7K 4.1K 26
"You make no sense, lass. You look like an Elf, talk like a Man, eat like a Hobbit, curse like a Dwarf, and sleep like the Dead." Every Tolkien fan h...
43.1K 1.3K 54
Have you ever had something happen to you, so crazy that you couldn't describe it? That it made your heart hammer every time you thought of it That i...