Task Force 411: The Lion Guard

By Kranzk

Task Force 411, an elite international counter-terrorism strike team, trained to eliminate the ever growing t... More

Chapter 1 - Rise Of The Insurgency
Chapter 3 - Search And Rescue
Chapter 4 - Search And Rescue (Part 2)
Chapter 5 - Prelude

Chapter 2 - Cache

210 4 15
By Kranzk

August 12th, 2019

1208 Hours

Near Coteku Mountain Range, Afghanistan

--------------------

Despite the fact that the raid on the Tiajif compound took place a week ago, the Guard had yet to be assigned any missions regarding the Hyenas.

Instead, they were given patrols around nearby villages, with the intention of both scouting and improving relationships with the local Afghan people.

One example of such was today, in which the Guard was accompanying a convoy delivering water to villages whose water lines had been damaged.

"Seriously?" asked Fuli, as she stood on a hill with Kion, watching over the main water truck as other Marines filled up the local's containers. The other three members of the Guard stood around the second vehicle of the convoy, waiting for the locals to finish.

"What?" Kion innocently replied.

The sergeant gave him an impassive look, it was enough to make the lieutenant chuckle. "Disappointed we're not doing a raid? You know I have no choice in selecting our missions."

Fuli wiped sweat off her tanned forehead. Afghanistan was brutally hot in the summer, especially at around midday, which it currently was. "You don't have a choice in selecting missions," she said, "but you can definitely influence the type of them."

Kion bit down on a valve connected to his vest, which was a hose leading to a hydration pack in his backpack. It allowed him to drink some fairly-cool water, quenching his thirst from the unyielding heat.

"Command is still processing the manifest we found," he answered. "Well, they've processed it, more like they're planning out our operations."

"And how long does that take?"

"I don't know, a day, a week maybe?" Kion looked down at the convoy, there were only a few people left. "Why are you so antsy? We did a shoot house this morning."

Fuli sighed and brushed off some dust from her weapon. "Best type of experience for a job is hands-on."

"I...don't think that applies to our line of work," said Kion, an eyebrow raised and a small smile on his face. "Most people would much rather choose training over actual gunfights."

"Then you have people like Bunga," said Fuli.

Kion chuckled. "Definitely."

Both of the two soldier's radios momentarily produced static for a second, before Ono's voice spoke through. "1-1, 1-2, this is 1-5, we're leaving in five."

"Copy 1-5, coming down now," replied Kion. "Let's go," he spoke to Fuli.

Both soldiers headed down the hill, meeting up with the rest of the Guard and the other Marines. As they approached their vehicle, the commanding officer of the water mission, Captain Alder, walked up to them. "One more village to go to, then back to base," he informed them.

Kion nodded, then got into the driver's seat of the Guard's designated vehicle, swapping over from Bunga, who had been the driver for the trip to the village - a worrying thought, even more worrying in reality, though there had been no accidents yet. Kion started the up-armored Humvee, then followed the lead vehicle.

The convoy traveled at a steady place to the next village, kicking up a flurry of dust as the ten-vehicle procession thundered along the sandy road.

"So, Ono," started Bunga, raising his voice as the armored vehicle rattled, "would you rather be training recruits or be doing this?"

"What kind of a question is that?" asked Ono. He was absently tapping a Black Hornet Nano drone between his fingers. The drone in question was tiny, roughly the size of his hand. Its appearance was similar to a miniature helicopter.

Bunga raised his arms, then dropped them. "I don't know, we were supposed to be training recruits today but we got pulled for this instead. Any idea why Kion?" he asked the Lieutenant.

"Nope," replied Kion, "I just follow orders. That and I keep you all in line."

"Good thing we have you then," said Bunga.

The convoy entered a mountain range, and in order to get to the final village, had to pass through it.

"Sapper 4-1 to all stations," said the voice of Captain Alder through the Humvee's radio, "Proceeding into Coteku Mountain Range. Be careful, insurgents love to make camp in these cave tunnels. Watch yourselves out here, Sapper 4-1 out."

"Beshte!" yelled Kion, "How's it looking up there?"

Beshte, in the position of the Humvee's turret gunner, casted a quick glance down into the interior of the armored vehicle. "All clear up here!" he yelled back.

"Good," murmured Kion. He focused his attention back onto the road, eyeing the mountain cliffs.

"I'd be doing these types of missions," said Ono.

Bunga turned to the lance corporal. "Hmm?"

"Your question earlier, if I'd be training recruits or doing these escort missions. I'd choose these missions."

"Why is that?" asked Bunga, skimming through one of the pamphlets he had found somewhere in the vehicle.

Ono thought for a moment. "Well, you get to see the landscape while on these missions, you don't have to deal with foolish recruits, and you get to meet new people."

"Those seem like reasons for Fuli and Beshte," commented Bunga.

"Well," said Ono, placing the drone on his lap, "I guess it's more quiet then at base. Not as busy, is what I mean."

It was a valid reason. K4 had many Marines going about their day, leading to clutters of people in one spot. Water deliveries also had plenty of people, but the locals usually were kind enough to organize themselves into a line.

"Eh, that's a good point," said Bunga.

The convoy carried on uneventfully through Coteku Mountain Range, stopping only a few times to deal with passing civillians. There were no insurgents that ambushed and attacked the procession.

They even stopped to buy ice cream from a passing vendor. It was surprisingly nice.

Twenty minutes later, after exiting the mountain range, the convoy reached the final village. There, the soldiers once again waited for the locals to come out and have their containers filled.

As the locals filled their containers, Beshte struck up a conversation with several people, conversing about several trivial things.

"You can speak Arabic?" asked Kion, who stood guard next to Beshte.

"It's Dari," corrected Beshte. "They both sound similar, even have the same words. I can speak both."

Kion hummed. "Impressive. I can only understand a few phrases, perhaps you could teach me?"

"Sure," said Beshte.

One of the village members shuffled up to Kion, nervously glancing around. Noticing the person, Kion flicked off the safety switch on his rifle, but didn't raise it.

The local spoke some type of Middle-Eastern language Kion didn't understand, but Beshte did. The dark skinned corporal proceeded to have a small conversation with the local, the native villager speaking in a rushed and hurried tone.

Once finished, the local hurried away, as if ashamed he was speaking to the Americans. "What did he say?" asked Kion.

"Hyenas," said Beshte. "They've passed through here two days ago, and they're supposedly gathered in a building a couple of kilometers over that way." He pointed west, where in that direction, was another small village.

Kion narrowed his eyes. "And exactly why would this local tell us this?" he asked, glancing at the direction in which the local had gone. "Insurgents kill villagers if they talk."

Beshte rubbed the ridge of his nose. "This man is tired of the threats, he says he wants his children to be safe."

"Speaking to us signs a death sentence for them," sighed Kion. "Nevertheless, we'll see what we can do. I'll contact Command and see what they'll have to say."

--------------------

From her place in the Humvee, Fuli watched as Kion walked away to radio Command.

"Well?" started Bunga. "Excited?"

"For what?" asked Beshte. He stood outside of the Humvee, but the armored vehicle had its door open so he could communicate with the others.

"Our mission," responded the purple-haired corporal. "What else would we be excited for?"

"Going back to base," said Ono.

"Sleeping?" Fuli offered.

Beshte faced Bunga. "I'll be honest Lil' B, I don't think the mission is as fun as you think."

"Why is that?"

Fuli cut in. "Because it's a scouting mission," she said.

"And if we scout enemies we can get them," explained Bunga.

Shaking her head at Bunga's seemingly endless enthusiasm, Fuli saw Kion walking back to the Guard's Humvee.

"We on?" she asked, once Kion had gotten into the driver's seat.

Kion nodded. "Command's approved our request, we're to scout out the location. Surprisingly, it also matches up with a weapons cache they found on the list we took last week."

"What a small world we live in," snarked Fuli. She absently spun a double-edged dagger in one hand, while looking at Kion. "When do we leave?"

Kion grinned. "Now."

He grabbed the transmitter of the radio in the Humvee, then radioed to Captain Alder through the correct frequency. "Lion 1-1 to Sapper 4-1, how copy?"

A moment of silence before a voice transmitted back. "Loud and clear 1-1, go ahead."

"Secondary orders received from Command, we're breaking off from the convoy."

"Acknowledged, convoy is RTB. See you back at base."

"You too, out." Kion placed the transmitter back into its holder, then starting up the engine. "Let's move."

--------------------

The Guard stopped the armored vehicle a small distance away from the village, opting instead to trek up a hill to observe the village's buildings.

"See anything?" asked Kion, from his prone position on the hill.

"Nope," Bunga replied, lying down next to him, handing a pair of binoculars over to Beshte. "No obvious caches lying around, nor any armed militia."

"Can't see anything either," said Beshte, scanning the area. "Nothing out of the ordinary. However, one side of the village seems abandoned."

Noticing a patch of dust on his weapon, Kion brushed it off. "Well, air support's already on its way, lets make it count. He cast a glance towards Ono. "Ono? Do you have a visual on Fuli?"

The marksman adjusted a knob on the scope of his MRAD, zooming in on Fuli's camouflaged figure. "Got her, she's lying in some tall grass, a few metres away from a blue building."

Bunga whistled. "She's fast, we sent her out, what, two minutes ago?"

"Perks of having Force Recon on our team," said Kion. "She's an effective scout."

"You never did tell me," started Bunga, "how did you get all of us together?"

Kion took the binoculars from Beshte and surveyed the village. "What do you mean?"

"Like, were we all randomly chosen for the team or did you personally choose us?"

"I read all of your files, watched you do some of the courses and chose you," said Kion, still observing the small area. "Two masked men, unarmed, heading into the blue building."

He relayed the information to Fuli, who acknowledged it.

Bunga seemed content with Kion's answer, but then he asked another question, this time addressed to Beshte. "Beshte, did Colonel Okoro or Major Ni come up to you?"

"What do you mean?" asked the corporal.

"For selection, who offered it to you?"

Beshte thought for a moment. "I think I had the Colonel."

"Oh cool, me too. Ono?" asked Bunga.

Ono removed his safety goggles and rubbed his eyes before looking back through the scope. "Major."

Taking the binoculars from Kion, Bunga used them to focus on the blue building. "I asked Fuli earlier, she said she got the Major too. Who asked you to try for 411 Kion?"

Said lieutenant gave a small smirk. "The General."

The other three members of the Guard looked at Kion with disbelief, causing his smirk to become a grin.

"But only the Colonel or Major choose who goes for selection," said Ono, "General Zira doesn't do that."

Kion grinned wider. "Well, I must be very good at my job then."

Movement in the distance caught Ono's eye, and he quickly dropped the subject to peer through his scope. Approaching the village were three pickup trucks, a figure with a mounted machine gun on each one. "Three enemy technicals inbound."

The Guard's radio crackled as Fuli's voice came through. "1-2 to all, I've got three armed men exiting a blue building. They're Hyenas," she confirmed.

Ono responded to the sergeant. "Acknowledged, be advised, three enemy technicals headed your way."

"Copy, holding for further orders. Out."

Kion got into a crouching position, thinking of a plan. "We wait and see if the technicals leave or stay. Then we engage."

--------------------

Fuli, hidden in a large bush, watched through her magnified optic as two Hyenas exited the blue building she was hiding next to, dragging a large wooden crate to one of the pickup trucks.

They spoke in Swahili, a language with only a few phrases she could understand.

The Hyena on the back of the pickup truck helped to lift the crate, placing it next to him. Going back inside, the two Hyenas emerged with another crate also placing it in the pickup truck.

The process was repeated for the other two trucks. Two crates per truck, with more Hyenas exiting the blue building to help. Exchanging a salute, the Hyenas in the pickup trucks started their engines and left, kicking up a trail of dust as they departed the small village.

All but one Hyena went back into the large building. The one that didn't stayed to patrol around the area.

"1-1 to 1-2, we're coming down now, hold your position." said Kion, over the radio channel.

Fuli clicked her radio. "Copy, got one Hyena patrolling around the building."

"One Hyena?"

"Correct," said Fuli, her gun trained on said insurgent.

"Disregard my last. Neutralize him, better he doesn't see us coming. Do it quietly. Out." The radio clicked and there was silence.

Fuli smirked. "Gladly."

She shouldered her weapon unsheathed her double-edged dagger, and made her way towards the Hyena.

Hiding behind a building, Fuli waited until the Hyena stepped into her view before she grabbed the insurgent and stabbed the knife into his neck, shoving him to the ground and covering his mouth.

"You know, I could've done that," said Ono. "I'm up here watching everything."

The sergeant removed the blade from the Hyena and wiped it on the militant's sleeve, before sheathing it. "But then you get all the fun," she replied.

"It's more efficient."

"People, please," said Kion, cutting into the conversation. "Save it for later, focus on the mission. Got it?"

"Copy," said Fuli.

"Affirmative, out," responded Ono.

Fuli held her ground for the next few minutes, while the rest of the Guard, barring Ono, made their way to her position.

Soon after, Kion, Beshte and Bunga reached her position. "Fuli, you and I will breach and clear the building. Beshte, Bunga, you two set a perimeter," ordered Kion.

The two corporals nodded and moved away, leaving Kion and Fuli to advance towards the blue building.

Removing the Halligan bar attached to his backpack, Kion positioned the pry into the door gap. "Throw a flash," he said to Fuli, unclipping a stun grenade from his vest and handing it to the sergeant.

On a count of three, Kion yanked the bar, forcing the door open, at which Fuli tossed the flashbang.

Hearing the stun grenade's detonation, and the subsequent groaning of the people inside, Fuli stepped into the building, taking out two Hyenas with controlled bursts from her rifle.

The blue building had only four rooms, each of which were cleared out by the two soldiers.

Firing three bullets into an insurgent, Kion pushed the stumbling body away before forcefully entering into another room, finding nothing but several crates full of weapons.

"1-1 to 1-2, left side clear, how copy?"

"Solid, right side clear. Whole place is a weapon stockpile. Might want to see this though. Beshte, into the house," said Fuli.

"Copy that, all stations, blue building clear," confirmed Kion.

"Making entry," said Beshte.

Kion made his way into the room Fuli was in, where she presented an open laptop, upon which was an open chat to another user.

"Found this," said the sergeant, placing the laptop onto a table. "Our friends here were communicating with someone when we interrupted them."

"That was rude of us," Kion snarked.

Beshte knocked on the doorframe of the room. "You called for me LT?"

"Yeah." Kion waved him over. "What do you make of this?"

As Beshte scrolled through the computer logs, Kion and Fuli rummaged through every room in the building.

"Look at this," said Fuli, pointing to a wall where racks of Soviet-Era weapons were stored. "Enough weapons to arm the entire task force."

Kion scoffed. "Definitely more."

"How'd they get these?"

"Illegal methods: Arms dealers, drug shipping, all that sort."

Fuli picked up a rocket for an RPG-7, inspecting it before placing it back in the crate. "We gonna target them?"

"Probably." Kion shrugged his shoulders and kneeled down to look at another crate. "It's up to Command."

Beshte walked into the room, laptop in hand. "Messages from Hyena headquarters, or their equivalent."

"Saying?" asked Fuli.

"New second and third-in-command," said Beshte, "but there's no names mentioned."

"It's still something," said Kion, standing up. "Take the laptop, let's all get out of here."

He clicked his radio. "Ono, get me Command."

"Affirmative, hold on."

"Let's move," ordered Kion, exiting the room.

"Guys," Bunga's voice crackled over the radio, "we may have company here. Suggest we move."

"Return to the blue building," ordered Fuli.

"Kion, Command's up, patching you in." said Ono's voice.

Momentarily after, Colonel Okoro's voice replaced the lance corporal.

"Temple-1 Actual to Lion 1, what's your status?"

The three soldiers exited the blue building. "Positive identification on a weapons cache, possible hostiles in the area," said Kion.

"Solid copy, air support is three minutes out, they'll patch in to your frequency when in range. Fall back to a safe position."

"Got it."

Bunga rejoined the group, jogging lightly from his position behind a building.

"Good. Out."

"You heard him," said Kion, "three minutes till the fireworks."

"Well," started Bunga, "finally get to see some acti-"

Loud cracks of gunfire interrupted the corporal. Immediately, the four members of the Guard scrambled to find cover behind buildings.

"Contact!" yelled Fuli. She grabbed her radio. "Ono, where are they!" she yelled into her earpiece.

--------------------

From his place on the hill, overlooking the village, Ono surveyed the scene, watching as multiple groups of Hyenas exited several buildings in the village, all firing against the four soldiers hiding behind a brick wall.

"Hyenas at your 11, 2 and 4 o'clock," he stated to Fuli, aiming his sniper at a Hyena and pulling the trigger.

The insurgent fell to the ground.

Ono cycled the bolt, aimed and fired again. He repeated this process over and over, eliminating a Hyena each time he did.

Plumes of dust began trailing up in the far distance. Momentarily ceasing his sniper support, the marksman aimed his rifle at the distance.

Through his scope, Ono saw five pickup trucks heading towards the village, a Hyena with a mounted machine gun on the back.

"Lion 1," he spoke into his earpiece, "five enemy technicals headed your way, 2 o'clock."

"Copy that," replied Kion, sounding slightly out of breath, "clear to engage."

"Affirmative."

Ono dialed in his scope, adjusting the magnification and zeroing in on the moving trucks. Leading the target, he exhaled and squeezed the trigger, sending out a 6.5 Creedmoor round that hit its mark.

Without its driver, one of the trucks swerved uncontrollably, eventually rolling over onto its side. Ono repeated this for every other truck.

When the magazine ran dry, Ono removed the empty container and grabbed another magazine from his side. The magazine went in and the bolt cycled through, loading another bullet.

Ono focused on a Hyena rushing his way towards Bunga, and fired a bullet into the militant's chest. A grenade detonated in front of the four soldiers, kicking up dust that momentarily impaired his view of the battlefield.

Faintly, a small whirring noise emerged, growing louder and louder until the continuous roar of a helicopter's blades thundered above him.

"Hunter 3-2, ready for tasking," crackled a voice over the Guard's radio.

A pull of the trigger from his sniper, another dead Hyena.

--------------------

"Hunter 3-2, ready for tasking."

Kion peeked around the corner of a building he was posted up against, ducking his head back when several bullets were fired in his direction.

"Hunter 3-2, this is Lion 1-1, sure good to see you. Confirmed enemy weapons cache in the blue building, but we're pinned down by enemy forces." Kion mounted on the corner of the building, firing short bursts at the Hyenas.

"We see them 1-1, say no more. Heads up."

The AH-1Z Viper attack helicopter circled around the Guard, before firing its formidable M197 gatling gun at any Hyenas it saw. Quick and consistent thumps resounded through the area as the 20mm gun was fired.

Seeing this, Kion ran back to the wall where the rest of the Guard were hiding behind. "Let's move back to the hill, Beshte, you cover us."

The corporal nodded, turning back and firing his M249, picking off any remaining stragglers.

Kion and Bunga continued to move back up the hill to rejoin Ono, but Fuli stayed behind to watch over Beshte." Beshte, fall back, Ono and I'll cover for you."

Picking up his SAW, Beshte hightailed it back towards Fuli's position, all while the helicopter engaged the Hyena forces.

After a short while, the M197 stopped firing, ceasing the heavy thumps that echoed through the area.

"Lion 1, all hostiles neutralized, confirm location of weapons cache."

Kion, having reached the hill, turned to Ono. "Can you mark the blue building?"

"Yup." Flicking on the attached infrared laser on his sniper, Ono aimed towards the building in question.

"Hunter 3-2, target is marked with IR laser, cleared to engage," said Kion.

"A-firm 1-1, target spotted, engaging."

The AH-1Z hovered for a few seconds, before two Hydra-70 rockets were launched, shooting their way down and colliding with the blue building, resulting in a spectacular explosion.

Bunga whooped at the sight, Beshte and Ono exchanged fist-bumps, even Fuli cracked a grin.

"Thanks for the assist 3-2, appreciate it," said Kion, holding his radio. "You guys were a big help."

"Part of our job 1-1, we're out of here, you're welcome. Out."

The Viper thundered away off into the distance, leaving behind the five members of the Guard.

"Alright," said Kion, turning back into the direction of the Humvee. "Let's RTB, good work today."

"Even got some good entertainment out of it," commented Bunga, walking in step with Kion.

Fuli clapped a hand on the purple haired corporal's shoulder. "Not exactly what our ethos should be."

"Why not?" asked Bunga, "Peace through superior firepower, that's what I like to say."

Ono rolled his eyes as he walked forwards. "Here he goes again."

"It's fine," said Beshte, "just Bunga being Bunga."

He removed the laptop taken from the building and held it in his hand. "Wonder what this contains."

"We'll find out when we get back to base," assured Ono.

The Guard, upon reaching the armored vehicle, all clambered in, before reporting a mission success and driving back to K4 Base.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17K 283 36
"Ushari, now!" "No Kion!" "Stop, No!" 'Please be alright' The Pridelands have been at war for many years. Kion has been through much to make it this...
23.6K 403 21
Kion and his friends have taken the next stage of their lives and have started having kids of their own. Kion and Fuli are now married and have 2 cub...
5K 73 10
Many years ago, a legion of warriors rose in order to defend Earth from total destruction. They fought to keep humanity safe, and eventually, they di...
195K 3.6K 39
In this book you're put into Y/N (Your Name) perspective a young lioness who stumbles into the lives of the pride lands and outlands. Read everyone's...