From Afar | Winrina

By reasouru

"๐˜ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ'๐˜ต ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฌ ๐˜ง๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ข ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ง๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ต ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ. ๐˜ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฌ ๐˜ง๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๏ฟฝ... More

INTRODUCTION
01 | Secrets, Reasons, And Pink Pringles
02 | Not Her Story
03 | Who She Deserves
04 | The Red Haired Girl
05 | Mindoongie And Yuji
06 | A Double What?
07 | She's Perfect
08 | Too High
09 | Defy All Odds
10 | The Breakfast For Today is Misunderstanding
11 | Lies And Motives
12 | The Start
13 | Always Been
14 | Chase You Not
15 | How Tall Are You?
16 | Love Is War
17 | She, Who Deserves Her
18 | Behind The Lines
19 | All The Things I Did
20 | All The Things I Took
22 | Reached You
23 | Fate's Work
24 | She Likes Spring, I Prefer Winter
25 | Come Home
26 | Best Friends
Fin | From Afar
A Letter From Me To You

21 | Of Sacrifices And Risks

9.4K 411 120
By reasouru

| Kim Minjeong

"Unnie, where are you right now?"

"I'm near, baby. Wait for me there." I heard her speak. "Minjeong-ah..."

I closed my eyes firmly.

"Are you okay?"

Am I okay?

I just confessed, and Yuji likes me too—no, she loves me. And she's here with me right now, looking at me with concern.

"I'm okay." I muttered. "I'm okay, Unnie."

Lie.

"...Alright." She said, although she sounded like she didn't believe me. "Wait for me, hmm? I'm going there."

The call ended.

Despite all the happiness I felt when I found out that she loves me, it was all washed up with the sudden sadness and tiredness.

I just got back from Japan.

When we went home to Aeri's house yesterday, I immediately packed my things. Ryujin saw it. She asked no questions and packed her things too. I know she knows something now. It may not be all of it, but I guess she had a hunch since she saw my puffy eyes. 

She woke the others up from their sleep, telling them that we'll fly to Korea. 

I felt bad. 

That was supposed to be a wonderful vacation, a good time for everyone. But I just ruined it.

However, they said it was no issue. Like Ryujin, they seemed to know something already, except for Yuna who looked drunk and confused the whole time. 

Ningning left earlier than me.

I think when I left the house to meet Aeri, she already packed her things and left too. She sent a text, saying that she'll fly away to China to see her family and she'll stay there for a while.

I know she just wanted to avoid being with me.

And no matter how much it hurts to accept, I understand her. 

It's hard to get over the feelings when the person you like is so close to you. Just like how I was before with Yuji.

I will wait for her to come by. 

I will wait for the day that everything will become better again.

But for now, I want to rest.

I want to go away and be alone. 

Hence why when we flew back to Korea, I immediately called Jennie Unnie. I don't care anymore if my friends see her. That's the least of my problems right now. 

"Yuji..." 

She flinched when she heard me call her name. I think she was expecting me to be quiet since I was really quiet back in the plane. 

"Yes? Do you need anything, love?"

She has been calling me love since yesterday and our friends have heard it too. But to my surprise, it was just Yuna who seemed shocked. 

"I might be gone for a while." I said, giving her a small smile. "Let's all have a rest."

"Where are you going?" She immediately asked. "And hey, I told you that you can rest on me, right?"

"...To somewhere." I answered. "It will only be just for two days. I think we all need time for ourselves, Yuji. The things that happened to us...it's not that easy to take."

I faced her. "I know it was hard for you too. So I want you to rest."

She stared at me for a few seconds before sighing. "Okay...I guess I need it too."

I nodded. 

"But promise me..."

"Promise what?" I asked. 

She smiled. "Promise me you'll come back to me, okay?"

"I..." I trailed off. "I pro—"

"Minjeongie," We both turned our heads to Ryujin who suddenly spoke beside us. "I know this is your business and not mine but,'' She looked at us. "Whatever happened yesterday, I hope you won't lose your friendship with Aeri."

I didn't speak.

"It confused the hell out of me when I saw you came home with puffy eyes, and without Aeri. I may not know anything right now but one thing's for sure...everything will be okay, Puppy."

I hope so. 

I really do hope so.

But everything is not fine right now and I have to accept it. We have to. 

We need time for ourselves, to reflect about everything that happened. We were so consumed by our feelings and the situation that it resulted a bad effect to us. 

They all need it. I need it.

"...Don't worry, Ryu." I muttered. Glancing at Yuji who's just listening to us. "We'll be okay."

Ryujin smiled at me. A comforting smile. 

And I'm thankful for that.

"Minjeong-ah!"

I turned to look at the person who shouted my name. 

"M-miss Jennie Kim? What is she doing here?"

I heard Yuna muttered behind me, but I didn't have the chance to answer her because Unnie came running to me, greeting me with a hug.

"I missed you, Pup."

Pup...

I forced a smile. 

"I missed you too, Unnie." 

"W-wait, Minjeongie," Chaeryeong said. "What's going on?"

I looked at all my friends, and I couldn't help but to chuckle because they all have the same reaction. Bewildered faces. 

Especially Yuna who has her jaw dropped. 

I cleared my throat. "Uh, she's my—"

"Girlfriend."

What?!

"Excuse me?" My gaze shifted to Yuji who suddenly spoke.

Unnie smiled. "Hey, I'm Jennie Kim, Her girl—"

"Unnie!" I whined. "Stop that!"

She laughed. "What? I'm just saying—"

"No." I covered her mouth. "Shut up."

I turned to my friends who are still gaping at us, except for Yuji who seemed to be glaring at my Unnie.

I called her. 

"Yuji..." She looked at me. "This is my big sister, Jennie Kim."

"Your what?!"

"Her sister." Unnie answered Yuna. "Hi! Based on your reactions, I think you already know me but yes, I'm Jennie Kim, Minjeong's sister."

"We know you." Yeji spoke. "But we didn't know that you're Minjeong's sister."

"And you didn't even tell us!" Jisu exclaimed to me. 

I sighed. 

"No one asked."

"But—"

"Jisu, stop it." Yuji cuts off her friend, then turns to face my Unnie. "Hello, I'm Yu Jimin, nice to meet you."

Then she gave the brightest smile that she could ever give, to the point that her eyes are smiling too.

I just looked at her, a bit amused. 

I thought she was angry earlier?

"Hello, Jimin." Unnie glanced at me, before smiling at Yuji. "Are you my sister's crush?"

Huh?

"Yes, I am."

Huh?!

"Really now." Jennie Unnie gave a look, silently telling me that we will need to talk about this later. 

I facepalmed.

"Do you like my sister?"

"I love her, Ma'am."

"Do you want to be with her?"

"For the rest of my life, yes."

"Are you planning to court her?"

"If she would let me—"

"Okay," Oh God. "Stop. Please stop."

The others are just watching us as if they find the situation amusing. 

"We're talking, Baby." Jennie unnie said to me, though there was a hint of teasing in her voice that was so annoying and relieving at the same time.

At least she wasn't mad.

"No, we're going home, Unnie."

"Why don't you let me talk to your friends first? They—"

"To Busan." I cut her off. "We're going to Busan, Unnie."

She gave me a look.

"...You really need to explain everything to me." She whispered.

I nodded. "I will. Later."

"Okay." She sighed, then glanced at my friends. "Do you want me to take you guys home? The car is big enough for all of you."

"Ah, no. You don't need to, Miss Jennie." Chaeryeong shyly said. 

"Just call me Unnie. And come on, I insist."

"We really appreciate it, Jennie Unnie. But we have baggage with us and it won't fit." Yeji spoke. 

"Hmm, alright." Unnie said. "I'll just send a driver here to take you home, is that alright?"

All of my friends bowed and said their thank you's. Jennie Unnie laughed when she saw Yuna doing a 90 degrees bow multiple times and kept saying that she's a big fan of Unnie and that she's really honoured to see her. 

"I'll go now." I spoke to my friends as soon as Unnie finished putting my luggages at the back and went inside the car. 

"Have a well rest, Minjeongie." Ryujin said.

"And you better explain everything once we get back to school." Yuna pouted at me.

"Take your time, Minjeong-ah." Yeji smiled at me.

"Everything's gonna be fine, Kim." Chaeryeong stated.

"We're here for you!" Jisu exclaimed.

"Wait," Yuna spoke. "Why does it look like I'm the only one who doesn't know anything here?"

Everyone just gave her a look.

"Uh, girls? Why are you all looking at me like that?"

"Because you're stupid." Her cousin snorted.

"Stupid?! Me?!"

I decided to ignore them and went towards Yuji.

"H-hey," I looked up to her face. "I need to go now."

Yuji lifted her hands up, brushing my hair behind my ear. "Be safe. And please..."

"I'll come back to you." I tried to say it in a firm tone. "I...I promise."

She just looked at me in worry. 

I'm sorry, Yuji.

I'm still not sure. 

But I'll try. 

For once, I will try to fight for myself. For us. 

I just need to settle something first. 

I held her hand. 

"...You said it yesterday," I muttered. "That you're my home, right?"

She nodded.

"Then I'll come home. To you." 

Just wait for me. 

"...Okay," She finally smiled. "Okay." She repeated.

I nodded, smiling at her. 

I'll come home to you, Yuji.

And when that day comes,

I hope I'm finally ready.

____

"Winter..."

"Mom, stop calling me that."

She chuckled. "My Minjeong...I know you didn't come here just to hug me. You know that I know that, right?"

I sighed. 

We went to Busan, just like what I said to Jennie Unnie. I wanted to go here because of my mother, she lives here. 

I wanted to see her because I miss her. 

My Mom has always been my comfort. 

Being with her makes me feel like everything's gonna be okay. 

But aside from that, I came here for something.

"Mom..."

"Yes, sweetie?"

"Can you cook lasagna for dinner, Mom?"

She smiled at me. "You don't have to ask, sweetie."

"Thank you, Mom."

"Now, now." She sat beside me on the couch. "Would you like to tell me something?"

I took a deep breath.

Here we go.

"Mom, why did you and Dad get divorced?"

A whole silence.

She looked taken aback with my sudden question that she couldn't answer immediately. 

But then, she smiled. 

"Because things aren't just meant to be, My Minjeong."

"...Can you explain it to me?"

She sighed deeply, holding me close to her. 

"Your father and I..." She started. "We were really different..."

I just listened to her. 

"He's a star. A big one." She chuckled. "While I'm a commoner. Someone who only runs a cafe down the streets."

"He dreamed of a lot of things, he achieved it and still keeps on achieving it. On the other hand, I'm the type of person who's content with what I have. If I already have a peaceful life just by living like that, then I'm already content."

She smiled sadly.

"Things didn't work on us, sweetie. He keeps on reaching up, while I keep on following him. It was okay at first, until I lost my sight of him and I can't follow him anymore. He's too high. I was unable to reach him."

"...Is that it?"

She looked at me as soon as she heard me speak.

"Is that how it really ends, Mom?"

"For us, it is."

"So, it was impossible from the start..." I muttered. 

"No." 

My eyes widened.

She smiled softly upon seeing my reaction. "It wasn't like that, Sweetie."

"Mom...?"

"It was impossible at the end, not from the start. And it only became impossible because we both gave up." She stared at me,

"I think you're forgetting one fact, Sweetie."

"What is it?"

"It's the fact that we tried, Minjeong. We tried to make it work."

She brushed my hair behind my ears, the same thing that Yuji did earlier.

"We risked it multiple times. We sacrificed a lot of things...because it's worth it."

She smiled. 

"The person you love will always be worth it."

"You don't look for that kind of perfect person, Minjeong. You look for someone who's perfect for all the risks, all the pain, because they are worth it." 

I smiled.

"I think I understand it now, Mom."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6K 281 10
Karina Yu believed love wasn't real. She was always quite uninterested in relationships. Until her eyes connected with Winter Kim's.
103K 5.7K 21
โฅ A college instafamous trying to persuade her 4 years online friend named Winter for a meet up, and there goes Minjeong, a timid college girl trying...
26.4K 1K 13
Love at first sight; That's what explains how Minjeong feels towards the older girl thru the years and her feelings were eternal, even tho Jimin was...
30.3K 1.6K 11
Ending up with an important deal with her father, Jimin decides to leave her delinquent life to study hard and graduate by the end of the school year...