THE MAFIA'S LAWYER |βœ”οΈ

By Alhexandria22

COMPLETE!!! Karmale leads a life of her own convinience. No commands. Away from family and close to a few fri... More

Author's Note!
β˜†1β˜† A bad headache...
β˜†2β˜† Bitchy Boss & lovely best friends
β˜† 3β˜† blackmail, defiance & taming
β˜†4β˜† grandma Miley
β˜†5β˜† force+defiance
β˜†6β˜† Black Blood Pool
β˜†7β˜† success & goodbyes
β˜†8β˜† Bears
β˜†9β˜† winter holidays
β˜†10β˜† #philophobia
β˜†11β˜† Food fights
β˜†12β˜† Christmas kisses
β˜†13β˜† family dinner; detested guest
β˜†14β˜† New Years
β˜†15β˜† Advice and Court Sessions
β˜†17β˜† Street Racers & Demons
β˜†17β˜† Daddy in The protective role #baby
β˜†18β˜† glass not milk
β˜†19β˜† friends,protection & trust building
β˜†20β˜† The forehead kiss
β˜†21β˜† Ryxel's other family
β˜†22β˜† Oppressed
β˜†23β˜† A compromise
β˜†24β˜† A visitor for the bored lass at home
β˜†25β˜† Work again
β˜†26β˜† late returns...
β˜†27β˜† Family is never toxic
β˜†28β˜† A little help wouldn't...
β˜†29β˜† Kitten
β˜†30β˜† Trouble with the names!
β˜†31β˜† new keepers, foods and languages
β˜†33β˜† vanilla
β˜†34β˜†birthday & reunion celebrations
β˜†35β˜† Vixen- Devil
β˜†36β˜†Back home
β˜†37β˜† Flatter me till I shutter!
β˜†38β˜† safe place
β˜†39β˜† Who was she?
β˜†40β˜† Treacherous bitch
β˜†41β˜† drunk buddies (The Mafia's Lawyer)
β˜†42β˜† a dirty game of touching #philophobia
β˜†43β˜† bad at love
β˜†44β˜† unavailable
β˜†45β˜† Liam and Karmale!
β˜†46β˜† the devil doesn't want you!
β˜†47β˜† the agreement against betrayal
β˜†48β˜† Blinding lights~ final chapter!

β˜†32β˜† secretive best friends

392 17 4
By Alhexandria22

"Miss Kane."

"Yes."

"Mr. Jeopardenn wishes to speak with you."

"I'll come right through. Right now."

"Okay, miss."

"Thank you."

"Ma'am, you're not quite well."

"It's okay, Angella. Mr. Jeopardenn is my boss like Ryxel is yours. Would you like to ignore your boss's call?"

"No, ma'am."

"Then you'll have to let me go."

"Not without our company."

"Do I have a choice?"

"No, ma'am." Angella offered Karmale a hand.

"Thank you." She took it.

"May I come in Sir?" Karmale knocked on the halfway open door.

Jeopardenn sat down behind the glass table. His body more stout than usual.

"Please."

Karmale walked in unsure and nervous. She was wondering what her employer may want to say to her.

But those with a clean conscience needn't worry. She thought to herself.

With a slight rise in her chin, she walked in more confidently. Had it not been for her upset stomach, her movements would have been faster.

"Please sit."

When she was settled, he asked quite uneasily. It was more of a whisper with his hand shielding his mouth to avoid the words from getting to the uninvited persons in the room.

"Councillor, how do you do it with these fierce looking guys following you around all the time?"

Karmale faked a laugh and rather greeted her employer.

"Good afternoon Sir."

"Good afternoon. How are you, Miss Kane?"

"I'm good."

"How has it been ever since you returned? Pretty good, huh?"

"I wouldn't say that. Not with the lots of paper work. I had a lot of catching up to do. I was really lagging behind. Nonetheless, I'm grateful that I came back. I'm back on track. Well settled. All my things are in order. I assume I have caught up with everyone else. I'm good to go." Karmale reported to her boss.

Jeopardenn smiled. He was impressed. He always had been with Karmale. She was a brilliant, orderly and confident woman. Hardworking and passionate about her work. He had loved how progressive she was. Though not so experienced because she was a fairly young lawyer. That still didn't have at a loss of a lot. She was still vibrant. She was just the employee he needed. Too bad things had taken a certain direction that was not beautiful at all.

The old man had once extended sexual advances to the young lawyer. It was a disgusting and non- professional attempt. It was a turn off. The two had once held a good friendship. Mutually work related. Not only that but also the father daughter relationship had been there given the age gap. He had also been a very good source of wisdom for he was more experienced than her. Unfortunately, it all was washed away straight to the drain. His shameless action had drawn a thick line between them.

Luckily, they were two mature people. They decided to keep it out of the professional sector. That way, Karmale was able to get over it. She had hard time trying to see her boss in the same image of superiority that deserved absolute respect after all that. To complicate it more, he was becoming a greedy folk. She settled for a safe distance. He was something toxic. Too bad she had to tolerate it. He was her boss.

Jeopardenn looked up at the broad figures standing just above Karmale. The looks they gave him were intimidating enough for him to low his gaze back to his business.

"That's impressive, Councillor."

"Thank you, Sir."

"You don't have to thank me. It's your devotion and passion for the occupation that enables you produce epic results. You are one of my best employees. I'll miss having you around."

"Umm...and why would that be so?"

"Miss Kane, when you came to work with us here at the City Law firm, you signed a four year contract."

"Oh yeah. I remember that."

"Yes, Councillor. That contract expires tomorrow."

"That should be okay. I mean... there is always chance for renewal. I can simply renew the contract."

"Oh no, Councillor. As much as I would love that myself, you cannot."

"Why not?"

"Karmale, last month, you know-mmm..."

"When I was not around?"

"Yes, exactly that. Councillor, we had some new lawyers come in. A few interns here and there."

"Wow. So are you saying that there is no room for me?"

"I'm sorry Karmale. There isn't any."

"Why wouldn't there be any, Mr. Jeopardenn?" Karmale wanted to stand up and claim to whatever right she believed she had. It sounded unfair and weird. Her boss for a moment could not talk. And then as if he had remembered something, he spoke.

"Well, Karmale...you know-"

"Mr. Jeopardenn, I know I'm good enough. Too good to be replaced by an intern. Not to critic but no one here was born last night. We can all see that an intern is no way close to me. You, I and everyone else in this law firm knows that."

Her stomach hurt, she winched but still spoke. She had to. She needed to. Otherwise, she was on the verge of losing her position at a renowned law firm.

"Karmale...i-"

"Mr. Jeopardenn, this is not fair. I know I absconded from work lately- " Her tone was unlike her. It sounded sickly and feeble unlike the earlier one that had held demand.

"-But it was never my intention. Didn't- I wanted to explain myself to you that day when I came back but you simply said it was okay. Had someone else spoke on my behalf already?"

"Councillor-"

"Mr. Jeopardenn, is it a grudge?"

"That's a misconception, Karmale. If there is anything then I am at fault. I should apologise to you. It's not a grudge. If it were then only you have the right to be angry for how despicably I behaved with you. Karmale, I'm sorry about how awful i was with you. I hope you can find it within you to pardon me."

"It's okay. Forgive me too. I may have overstepped somewhere. The coffee, that was a bit too much, I know."

"Yes, Councillor. That was a bit too much. Maybe I deserved it anyway. I behaved like a bag of crap."

"Hmmmn."

"I learned my lesson."

"I learned a lot from you too. I appreciate. I'll get going."

"Alright."

The afternoon had been far from good. First the Italian food that was causing Karmale a lot of pain. She barely sat down without clutching onto her tummy. Now, she had been-- in simple terms asked to leave the firm. Though it had been done rather politely.

What was she still doing there?

"Angella, I want to go home."

"Yes, ma'am."

____

"Good evening, Mr. Black." Diana stood before Ryxel.

He acknowledged with a nod.

"Miss Karmale?"

"She's upstairs, Sir. Fast asleep."

"Oh."

"She did not have dinner, Sir. She came back-"

"That's okay." Ryxel didn't let her complete the report. "She had just enough in the noon. She must be good to go."

"Okay, Sir." Diana bowed low as Ryxel walked past her and went upstairs.

He did not knock for it was pretty late and he knew that Karmale would surely be asleep. Just like Diana had confirmed.

He entered with the most effort to avoid making any noise that would wake her.

Once he was inside, he picked up the chair at her dressing table and carefully placed it besides the bed.

He sat down and studied her.

She was sleeping rather straight. She lay on one side of her body. Her one hand was under her head and the other placed straight on her thigh.

Her face was pale from the moonlight and a lace of makeup was still lingering on her face. Her dark lashes fell to the lids. Below, her small nose stood pointed and pinkish on the tip. Her lips were in a thin line. The lip gloss had faded but the foundation was still visible only for an individual who was meticulous by nature. Otherwise, it had faded too. She never applied eye shadow or any dark eye cosmetics. It was either mascara or nothing. Tonight, it was the last.

She shifted in her sleep. Only an inch. She curled up her legs but everything else remained the same.

Ryxel watched noiselessly. Even when he felt like he wanted to clear his throat, he refrained. He sat tall and silently watched.

Karmale's hand shifted from her thigh to her abdomen. She pressed into it. Her nose squished and she curled her feet even more closely. The line her lips formed was more straight. Her cheeks tensed like she had pressed her upper teeth into the lower ones.

Ryxel did not see that, he was instead looking at her face and just getting angry. He stood up and drew the curtains.

Finally at peace, he sat down again. He watched as her hair fell to her face. The different facial expressions she formed during her sleep. He studied a lot but never did he see her smile. She was rather in a state of worry and deep thought. Better termed as over thinking.

He stood to leave when he thought he saw her make an uncomfortable movement. She lifted her hand from below her head and the charm of her bracelet knocked each other. She moved again and again. She was unsettled.

He was bothered. He thought he would go help her out but he didn't.

He moved out.

"Mr. Black. Dinner-"

"Bring a bucket of ice cubes to my office, Diana."

"Right away Sir."

____

"How was your night, Ryxel?"

"Beautiful."

"Wow. That's an interesting night. Any specifics."

"I like to keep my nights confidential."

"That's weird."

"Hmmmn. How was yours?"

"Ummmm...I could say..." She rolled her eyes upwards.

"The worst. I slept on my arm and now it hurts. It's the right one moreover. I'm going to be so useless today yet I have a lot to do."

"That was a bad one. The good thing though is that you don't have to carry around stuff. You simply sit in your office and study your files or whatever-"

"You're wrong." Her face fell.

"I'm I missing something?"

"Ryxel, my contract with the City Law firm ends today. Yesterday, my boss said he couldn't renew it. So I have to move out."

"Oh. Did he mention why he could not renew it?"

"Yeah. He said I had been replaced by a few interns. I was offended but maybe it's there time. I'll respect that and vacate."

Ryxel did not add on anything. He watched as she spread her bread with honey and some dripped onto the table and her hand.

She wiped her hand with a napkin before she spoke again.

"It was a bit weird but...mmhmn. I can't waste my time trying to trace what's behind Jeopardenn's behaviour. I would rather go seek employment somewhere else. I hope I have your permission."

"Yeah. With Angella and the boys, you can go anywhere. Good luck."

"Thank you." She drank the last of her tea and stood up to put on her coat.

"Ouch!" She winced.

"Let me help you with that, ma'am." Angella offered as she walked in.

"Thanks."

"Good morning, Mr. Black."

"Yes, Angella." Ryxel turned to return the greeting when he saw a weird stain on Karmale's coat.

"What's that, Caramel?"

"What?" She looked down at the coat.

"The white stain?"

"Oh... this?" She dryly chuckled.

"It must be from yesterday's food."

"Diana!"

"Yes, Sir."

He stood up and Angella paved way. He reached Karmale and took off the coat.

Handing it to Diana he said, "I want Miss Karmale's laundry washed. Her official clothes, dry cleaned."

"Yes, Sir."

Ryxel took off his current suit coat and placed it over Karmale's shoulders.

As he helped her get into it, she realized that she had forgotten that cologne of his that always hit her nostrils so harshly that it was almost violent. The coat Diana had taken for dry cleaning had long lost his dark themed perfume. Having him dress her in a new, clean and freshly sprayed suit jacket was something she didn't know would arouse her senses. She was excited, about what? She had no idea.

As usual, he gave her the forehead kiss and she left.

___

Angella and the boys picked up her belongings from her now ex-office. Karmale's colleagues looked on but no one offered help which was not necessarily needed but...

No one said anything either. It was unfriendly but she was used to that type of treatment so she ignored the ache that filled her heart. Gradually, one by one, the times she had spent hanging out with her co-workers, came flooding back like distant memories. They were few but they were still something. Her brown eyes welled up with tears.

"I'll miss you guys." She said to the few who stood close by. She was only being open. She surely did not expect anything regarding the way they had been behaving the whole morning. Not Carta at least. She jumped an hugged her.

"Bye, Karmale. We'll miss you too. Sorry I didn't hug you earlier. We were told not to associate with you once you came in today." She whispered in her ear.

"But why? I'm not carrying around leprosy that I'll spread it to you guys!" She was obviously offended as she whispered back and blinked back the tears too.

"Let it be, Karmale. I can't disclose more than that."

"It's okay, Carta. I don't really understand why but it's okay. Where is Shaun today? Doesn't he wanna say goodbye?"

"That Romeo. He left with Mr. Jeopardenn this morning. I don't know where to though."

"Okay. Thanks Carta. For everything."

"You too. Call me when you are free. We should hang out sometime."

"Yeah. Sure."

"Ma'am, there are ten law firms in town. Three at the outskirts. Then others are outside town. We'll have to leave right now if we are to sum all of them up today itself."

"Okay, Angella. Is everything out?"

"Everything, ma'am. They been sent home already."

"Thank you."

"It's my job."

"Mmh...so...um... let's get going then."

"Right after you ma'am."

"Ohkaay."

Her black heels sassily hit the glass floor. Her tight skirt that when till mid calf was slowing her movement but in a calculated way. She moved with one leg forward and the other followed in cat walk.

It was the last the City Law firm ever saw of her.

___

Karmale spent the entire day movimg from one law firm just to go to another and get the same reaction.

"Sorry ma'am. You are highly qualified and experienced enough but we cannot hire you here. We have no room for anymore."

Her arm ached and these people made her feel like her qualifications were useless. What was the point of having them if she could not get a job so easily. What had happened to the time when all firms had desperately wanted her? When all they could do was beg her. What had happened?

With her sick arm, she moved aside so as to let Angella open the car door.

She sat down with a heavy sigh. She was exhausted.

"Ma'am you should have your lunch."

"How many more firms do we have to go to Angella?"

"Two, ma'am."

"Let's go then. I'll have my lunch after also those ones reject me." She sighed .

"Please be positive ma'am."

"I know how it works, Angella. Perhaps they are offended that I am going to them as second option. I guess that's why they are all giving me boring excuses as to why they cannot employ me. Hmmmn. It's tiresome but let's do it. At least I will be satisfied that I reached out but they simply refused."

"Okay, ma'am."

As Karmale had expected, the result was negative.

When they were on their way off for lunch, her phone vibrated by her side.

Ella

Hey, Karma. Come say hi. I'm back in town.

Karmale
Oh my God! Of course.

Her whole day had been frustrating but the thought of meeting her best friend after a long period of time was blissful. It was making up for the sad part of the day.

"Angella, instead of going to Ryxel's restaurant, let's go to the KFC branch next to the play ground. A friend of mine, I haven't seen in a while is back in town. I cannot miss that."

"But ma'am-"

"Angella, Ryxel said it's okay for me to go anywhere I want as long as you and your brothers are with me. So let's go." Karmale sounded frazzled.

"I'm sorry ma'am but-"

"Here, call him." She handed Angella her phone who did not hold it immediately. When she was about to, Karmale withdrew her arm. "No let me call him. Seems you are tired of your job."

"It's okay, ma'am. We'll go."

"Do you know the place?"

"Yes, ma'am." She nodded.

Karmale and Angella had resided back to silence when Karmale's phone rang.

"Yes, Shaun."

"Karmale can you ask the person driving to stop for a while. I'm just behind you."

"Okay." Karmale looked through the side mirror and saw Shaun's Mercedes.

"Kevin, please stop the car."

Kevin stopped and looked at Angella who sat in the back seat with Karmale.

"What Kevin? It's not like she wasn't listening to my conversation over the phone? She doesn't mind. Put the car in parking mode. I'm jumping out. Only for a few."

Karmale moved out. Angella following closely.

"Hey, Karmale."

"Yes, Shaun. What is it?" She smiled.

"What were you doing at that law firm just a few minutes back? And why didn't you attend the meeting in the morning?"

"I'll start with the meeting. I was not informed about it. That meant I was not needed there. And the law firm, I was seeking employment."

"What are you saying, Karmale?"

"I didn't use hard English, Shaun."

"Karmale, did Mr. Jeopardenn suck you?"

"Something close to that."

"What? What had you done?"

"Nothing. Nah-thing!"

"That's unfair."

"I know. I know." Karmale nodded.

"Karmale, I'm sorry about that. I should go talk to Mr. Jeopardenn and tell him to let you back."

"No Shaun. Let the intern students have a chance to work with one of the best law firms too. I'm good."

"Interns? And where is that coming from, Karmale?"

"Don't you know about it? Internship...Oh God, Shaun. Anyway, my contract expires today. I have been asked to move out in order to give the intern students a chance."

"There are no interns in our firm, Karmale. We do not use interns at all. Don't you know that?"

"What? But I was an intern before I acquired full employment."

"It's because you were an exceptional one. Otherwise, no internship scholars work with us. Karmale was it Mr. Jeopardenn who said this to you?"

"Yeah...I mean yes. But if it's not the case then why did he say it to me?" She looked around in a confused state.

"I'm wondering too. Why did he-"

"He lied. So it was a grudge. Wow!"

"I don't think so, Karmale."

"What do you think, Shaun? He even denied me the opportunity of renewal!"

"Even that?"

"Uh-huh!"

"But I just renewed mine a month ago. What has changed in a month's time?"

"Me unintentionally neglecting my work, coming back to work and eventually losing my job. Weirdly!"

"I'm sorry Karmale."

"It's in no way your fault, Shaun. I don't know. Something seems off but I'll be good. Don't sweat about figuring it out. I'm not going to either. So let's let it be."

"Karmale, we should try find out what it is."

"Oh boy. We are not some investigative professionals to waste time on it. Let us leave it."

"Okay. I'll get going. I'll see you around?"

"I'm not ever coming back there, Shaun."

"Then come to my place or I could take you out somewhere."

"Bye, Shaun. I'm getting late. I have to see a friend. I haven't seen her in a while. So..."

"Mm... okay. Bye Karmale."

"Bye." Karmale waved and entered the car with Angella holding for her the door.

___

"Oh my God! Oh my- you look good woman."

"Ella."

"I missed you Karma." They hugged.

"Me too."

"Me more. All I got were a few messages from you through Mrs. Hart. Whenever I texted you, the replies were always late. Are you okay, Karmale?"

"Yeah. Yeah. I'm okay." Karmale squeezed her friend's hands that were holding hers.

"Are you sure, boo?" She squeezed hers back.

"Yeah."

They sat down.

"Excuse me!" Ella called a waitress.

"Yes, please." A teenage girl came and stood before. Her hands placed forward. Her one palm in the other and her head slightly bent low.

"How hungry are you, Karma?"

"The real question is, I'm I hungry?" She chuckled dryly.

"What's wrong, Karmale Hale Kane?"Ella asked her almost begging.

"Oh it's nothing." She sadly smiled.

"Please get us, burgers, french fries, chicken and a cola each." Ella said to the young attendant.

The girl noted down everything only for Angella to ask the boys to go take a look as they cooked.

It was offending but the young lady had no choice. She led the two men to the kitchen.

"Karmale, can you tell me what it is? Why are these guys following you around? Who are they?"

"I would tell you but I can't."

"What are you saying to me? You sound like Mrs. Hart. That's all she was saying when she sent me a message from you. Karmale, come on. You know we don't keep secrets from each other!" Ella said accusingly.

"Ella, I simply lost my job. In a funny way. Hmmmn. I don't wanna go through the details cause it's all I have been doing today."

"Karmale have you given up already? The City Law firm is not the only firm in America. You're a good lawyer. It should be easy. Find a place somewhere else, woman."

"If there is any."

"Huh?"

"Leave it, Ella."

"Karmale, I feel like our bond has weakened of late. You have become so secretive and it's unfair. You know?"

"Ella-"

"Who are the guys?"

"My security people. My life is under some unhealthy threats."

"Woah! That's big. Where do you stay these days?"

"In a safer place."

"Meaning?"

"The food has arrived. Let's eat. It will get cold."

"You are really perfect at ignoring what you don't want to answer. Karmale the food can wait. I don't like the state in which my best friend is. You have to tell me."

"I can't. Walls have ears." Karmale whispered to her and Ella looked up at Angella who had been closely eavesdropping on their chat.

"Yes, let's eat."

They dug in. Everyone silently ate their food. The two ladies both seemed to have something on their minds. Something disturbing.

"Ella, you okay?" Karmale shook her and the napkin she was holding fell to the ground.

"Huh?!"

"Girl, you good?"

"Yes. Yes. Very."

"Why aren't you eating then? You are staring at doorway instead. Expecting someone?"

"The past." Ella answered without thinking.

"What? Ella, are you fine?"

"Our past relationships, Karmale. They are what is making me-"

"Anxious?"

"I guess."

"Come on, Ella. I should be saying that. You are not a history student like I am. Stop it already." She said dismissively and concentrated on her food.

"Karmale?"

"Mmm?"

"No. It's nothing. Never mind."

"Really?"

"Sorry but it was really nothing."

"Okay." Karmale also wanted to complain about how secretive her friend had become but they were birds of a feather. How could she say a thing?

It was at six in the evening when they parted ways. Both with heavy hearts. Hearts that held secrets so life shattering. But whose was strongest? Whose was more life cringing? And what was it?

#MADAM LAWYER

Hey y'all.💕 It's a double update, bitches!!!!!💃

Thanks for reading guys. Please vote and comment before you go to the next chapter🙂🙃

Something small from a concerned individual...
Don't push something too hard, just let it flow naturally. If it doesn't work out, then it's not for you.

Have a good day or night.✨✨

Currently watching... The 100 (series)🧐😄

Currently reading Pride and Prejudice...😪

Listening to...
Bloody Samaritan- Ayra Starr💃

Burn- Ellie Goulding🤍

Authoress

Andria 💋

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

191K 7.6K 51
Sofia Rose Hendricks is the daughter of the infamous mafia don Oscar Hendricks. Her life has been in danger since the day she was born, but she is st...
55.8K 1.8K 33
A few years went by since (Y/n) got with Alastor. During that time they became partners in crime, the killer duo they became. Their kills almost riva...
417K 18.3K 50
⚠️BE WARNED⚠️: This book is a dark romance and contains abusive and mature content. Smut. An emotional rollercoaster. Slow burn. (SEQUEL OF DOLORE) ...
574K 12.5K 53
I gasped when he turned us, pressing us against the hard wall and wrapped my leg around his waist. His body began grinding against mine, our tongues...