A Meeting in London.

By Regency1816

Regency AU for Sanditon by Jane Austen. Two years after the fire in Sanditon there is a meeting in London. More

A Meeting in London Chapter One
A Meeting in London Chapter Two
A Meeting in London Chapter Three
A Meeting in London Chapter Four
A Meeting in London-Chapter 5.
A Meeting in London-Chapter Six.
A Meeting in London-Chapter Seven.

A Meeting In London-Chapter Eight.🌹🌹

370 6 3
By Regency1816

The London season was quite the busy time for Felicity and Marianne. It was Felicity's dear aunt's wish that she attend as many of the events as possible. It was a whirlwind of assemblies, balls and recitals. Felicity found little pleasure in the season due to her shy nature and facial blemishes.

She felt rather like an exotic animal on display at the London Menagerie as people stared at her appearance as they would a polar bear of the menagerie.

Her dance cards were usually empty of possible dance partners bar on the rare occasions when a sympathetic gentleman might request her hand. Such gentlemen much like the polar bear were rare creatures at such balls. Felicity favoured the darker secluded seats at dances or balls as her face was less visible.

Let it be known that Felicity was in no way ashamed of her scars as they marked her as a survivor. This showed that she had overcome this most contagious of diseases.

However this was not recognised by most as they saw only the scars rather than her tenacity. Efforts had been made by both her caring abigail and Marianne to disguise the marks but with little success.

Felicity determined for the remainder of the season her scars would not inhibit her enjoyment of it. If her hand was not requested for a dance she would enjoy the fine music. Should an unkind comment be made to her she would remember that she was a survivor.

If she was requested to sing an air or play the pianoforte she would certainly not hesitate. If Felicity was examined and found wanting she would smile benevolently at such judges.

She may be shy but she was not weak. Her inner strength would carry her through the remaining weeks. Marianne had been such a dear friend to her during these long months, her wit and kindness had rescued her many times. Marianne could chase away melancholy with one of her witty and accurate observations.

If she saw that Felicity had been hurt by an unkind remark she would observe that such a lady might consider not wearing that hat the next time as she resembled a pigeon.
If a gentleman decided that Felicity decide not meet his requirements for a dance partner, Marianne would say that she was fortunate as he had a vaguely porcine appearance.

The engagement of Marianne by her aunt was both an inspired and practical one. She needed a chaperone and also a friend which Marianne had become. Their friendship had grown during their time together. Marianne was like a elder sister to her, ever ready to aid her. She could see the anger in Marianne when she heard an unkind comment which she would ignore. However Marianne often wished to challenge such comments which Felicity would urge her not to.

She found that she could withstand such remarks more as the season progressed. Her confidence had grown ten fold during this time. Her need to be admired and liked by those she met was of lesser importance. Her new found confidence shone through as she was seen to be a slighter more desirable dance partner.

It was during a musical assembly that her charming piano playing attracted the attention of a gentleman. This gentleman was Mr. John Campion the son of the honourable Mr. Edward Campion. The senior Campion was a successful London banker and investor. His investments had been most advantageous producing much wealth. He had a number of properties in London and Dublin.

His late wife was Lady Maria Devonshire of Kildare House, Dublin. Theirs had been an arranged marriage which had become one of mutual love. Lady Devonshire's father had arranged the match as he sought a husband for his beautiful but unconventional daughter. The acquaintance had been formed when Lord Devonshire sought the advice of Edward's father on a property investment.

The two gentlemen became firm friends and both considered their children to the perfect match for each other. Lady Maria had been out for two seasons however her bluestocking ways had failed to attract any suitors.

She was an advocate of education for women. Her belief in the rights of women of every class was viewed by society as unconventional and revolutionary. Her reputation as an outspoken lady prevented her being approached by gentlemen of the Ton. Even her good looks were overshadowed by her views. The bravest of gentlemen were intimidated by her until her meeting with Edward.

Edward was an educated, urbane man who held strong views on women and their rights. He supported education for women, be they be of any class. His respect for the other sex was well known and he was seen as rather an eccentric by others. He held little store for the opinions of others including his friends. Edward had frequently called out many men on their disrespectful attitude towards women.

He had lost many friends owing to his views but such men could not be seen as friends. His wish was to meet a lady with both beauty and intelligence. The ladies that he encountered were beautiful but most lacked any intellectual conversation. Maria was the opposite to the usual ladies of the Ton. On meeting her at a ball he was immediately intrigued and attracted to her.

Her wit and intelligence charmed him. Maria did not intimidate him with her controversial views. Their opinions were similar on many subjects. Edward was challenged by this lady, she was never tedious or predictable. The brilliance of her mind moved swiftly from subject to subject. He had in fact dreaded meeting her as he had heard of her reputation.

His father had arranged their introduction at the ball and Edward was both anxious and hopeful. He had grown bored with the various events of the Season and he simply desired to meet a suitable lady and marry her. He wished for a marriage of love rather than for status. He cared little for the class rules, he would marry a lady of any class should he love her. He knew that this was not what he should do however he would defy the rules if necessary.

Edward's father was exerting not a little pressure on him to find a wife and produce a heir. He grudgingly agreed to the introduction to the lady from Ireland. The formal introduction by her father at a ball was the most significant introduction of his existence. The moment they met was when his heart was hers. She held his fragile heart in her delicate hands.

At that ball they danced the first and second dance. There existed no silences as conversation flowed freely. Edward found that he could discuss any subject with the lady, she possessed knowledge on the most varied of interests. There was much debate between them on whether their host's hair was a wig. His hair was dressed in a very strange fashion.

They commented on some of the more ridiculous head pieces worn by the ladies. Were they wearing actual animals on their heads and not headpieces. Edward's companion had no affection for such ostentatious displays of fashion.

She preferred a much simpler style and Edmund found her style much more to his liking. Her natural beauty and personality had little need for such adornment. The evening that they had spent together had been one of the most enjoyable. Edmund wished to spend more time with her.

Her father was most pleased that Edward wished to spend some time with his dear Maria. This boded well for a future engagement. As much as he wished for Maria to be married he equally wished for her to have a happy marriage.

Edward and Maria met many times during her time in London. Laughter was never far away as they found humour in the most unexpected places. They made the most handsome couple. It was remarked by many that the couple were well suited .

Their looks and personalities complimented one another. Towards the end of Maria's stay in London Edward felt saddened that he would no longer see her. In truth he had grown most attached to her and thought that she felt the same.

On her final day in London Edward called to her home to bid her farewell and a safe journey. It was a most painful parting for him as he realised that this was the woman that he wished never to be parted from. Maria was equally distressed at their parting. It was the first time that she had met someone whom she loved. She wished for her future to be with Edward. Maria's departure was marked by much tears on her part and attempts to comfort her on Edward's part.

Lord Devonshire granted his permission for Maria to correspond with Edward. Much correspondence was exchanged between the pair. Their love for each other grew during the many months that they were apart. Edward decided that he would ask for Maria's hand. He hoped that Lord Devonshire would grant his permission for them to marry. Weeks passed and he received no reply to his letter.

Why had he not received a reply, did Maria's father not approve of his suit? Should he travel to their home in Dublin to discover the reason for the delay. His answer came in a letter received precisely three weeks later.

Edward opened the letter with trepidation as he feared that his request would be refused. Imagine his surprise when Lord Devonshire granted his request and would be delighted to call him family. An invitation was extended to the Devonshire's estate in Dublin.

Edward answered the invitation that very day stating that he would travel to Dublin in two days. Edward's father accompanied on his visit to Dublin as he wished to discuss the marriage settlement.

The baans were read in Dublin that Sunday with the wedding arranged for the end of the month. Maria and her mother would travel to London to purchase items for her trousseau. Edward and she spent many happy days in London where she was introduced as his future wife. His family and friends were charmed by Maria and agreed that their future would be a golden one.

Their wedding day was a joyful one filled with love and laughter. Edward and Maria moved to their new home in London. They had been gifted their palatial home by Lord Devonshire. It was home where all were welcome no matter what class. The Campions hosted many gatherings where people from various spheres were invited. Musicians, poets, artists, philosophers, intellectuals could be found among the members of the beaumonde.

Within a year of their marriage Maria became pregnant and was delivered of a baby boy. As her confinement had been marked with ill health she was extremely happy to have her new baby. Edward was besotted with his new son and insisted that he play his part in caring for him during Maria's laying in.

He was frequently found in the nursery talking to his son. John was a most content child who rarely cried. He had Edward's dark eyes and Maria's fair hair. There never was a more cherubic child than John according to his father.

The Campions had many years of happiness until Maria became ill. She was bed ridden for some weeks with a fever. During this time she was dangerously close to death. Edward was by her side during these weeks and arranged for the most renowned physicians to attend her. Her health improved and it was thought that she had recovered however Edward awoke one morning to find that she was no more.

John was one week from celebrating his twelfth birthday.
Both father and son were inconsolable. The desolation that followed was intense and their home became one of sadness.

John thought that he would never fully recover from Maria's death. He returned to his work in his father's bank however he had little enthusiasm for it. Joy and frivolity were absent from his life and home.
Two years following Maria's death he was persuaded by his friends to host a small gathering.

He arranged the gathering grudgingly and truthfully dreaded the very idea of being sociable. John would of course join the gathering as a number of his friends had been invited.

Unlike his father John welcomed the gathering. He was lonely and the absence of company had made him sullen and melancholy. Perhaps he might play some card games or his father might request him to play some Irish airs on their beloved pianoforte.

The evening began with much promise as many of their family friends attended and their was an air of jollity. The house became alive again with the sounds of animated conversation and laughter.

There was to be some dancing following dinner which John hoped his father would persuaded to join.
His father was still a handsome man with a pleasing manner. John wished for his father to have some happiness as he seemed lonely. There might be a lady present who would dance with his dear father.

The dancing commenced following dinner and Edward was introduced to Eliza Arthur. He was a slight acquaintance of her uncle. Eliza was a fine lady with possessing looks. Her flaxen hair was complimented by a burgundy dress. She smiled charmingly at Edward when he requested a dance from her. Edward found her to be a most interesting lady and hoped that they would become better acquainted. Of course he still adored Maria but he was lonely and wished for some female company.

🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

205K 1.7K 179
Story set shortly after events of Season 1 S
138K 1.3K 36
A fan fiction written for those of us who endured the heart wrenching ending to the final episode of Sanditon (ITV, 2019). [As a possible Season 2] ...