Love at Sea (Finnick Odair)

By BeachSunshine

โFinnick and Taiya have kept up with their training more than any other tribute,.โž Haymitch said shaking his... More

Cast
Playlist
ACT ONE - The Beginning
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Tributes of the 67th Hunger Games
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
ACT TWO - The Recovery
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
ACT THREE - Catching Fire
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
ACT FOUR - Mockingjay - Part One
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
ACT FIVE: Mockingjay - Part Two
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
ACT SIX - The Aftermath
Chapter 1

Chapter 24

22.7K 587 368
By BeachSunshine

"Alright, so the start's easy," Tyler said as they made their way into the Victory Banquet. "You walk in, meet the victors who are in the Capitol at the moment. They're fine. Not much to worry about there, and then we go through to the banquet where you'll have to meet some of your sponsors," he told her and her eyes widened. "Not the ones Finnick helped out with. The ones who came to me, don't worry."

"Won't the victors hate me?" Taiya asked. "I killed some of their tributes."

"No," Finnick shook his head. "Victors have a strict no grudges policy here. We've all been through it. Everyone understands."

"Ok," she nodded before putting on her fake smile. "I can do it."

"That's my girl," Tyler approved before opening the door.

Finnick stepped forward and placed his hand on her back making Taiya pull back quickly. "It's ok," he smiled. "It's just victor's in there, most of them already know. It'll be safe. I promise," he placed his hand on her back as they walked in.

All the victors were standing in a line, waiting to greet her so they could go into the banquet. Taiya made her way down the line shaking everyone's hand. She was in too much of a daze shaking everyone's hand from District 1, all the way to District 11. She barely took anyone in properly until she got to the end of the line.

"Haymitch," she held out her hand nervously.

"Sweetheart," he smiled as he shook her hand. "Glad to see you up and about."

"I had a head injury," she used the cover story.

"No you didn't," he laughed.

"Haymitch helped us monitor you in the Mentor Center when Finnick and I had to talk to sponsors. He knows about the hovercraft," Tyler whispered. "Do you want to stay with her while Finnick and I get the Crane's?" Tyler asked and Haymitch nodded, holding his arm out for her to take.

"Not going to go all murderous on the Capitol guests are you?" he asked with a laugh.

"No," she said quietly. "I've got it under control."

"So, you're Tayla's niece?" he asked and she nodded. "She was a sweet girl. Held my friend's hand while she died."

"Maysilee Donner," she said and he nodded. "My mom made me watch your Games when I was 12."

"12?"

"Before my first reaping," she elaborated as they walked into the banquet to loud applause from the Capitol citizens. The rest of the victors followed after her and scattered themselves throughout the party. Some huddled in the corners together, some went to the dance floor, others straight to the bar.

As they entered Moxie took her hand, "I've got it from here," she said, trying to tug her away from Haymitch.

"Actually, Haymitch was going to help me get a drink, then I'm all yours," Taiya smiled. She wanted to finish her conversation.

"But that's not how it's done..." Moxie protested.

"I'll bring her back in one piece. Relax a little Rosehorn," Haymitch smirked, steering her towards the bar. "I didn't know Tayla had siblings."

"Yeah, a sister, my mom, and a brother."

"Were you and your family close?" he asked.

"Not at all," she laughed as they arrived at the bar. "The Kelpin family don't really handle trauma that well. I only saw my uncle's family once a year until my mom died. I've seen a bit more of them now. They didn't say goodbye to me at the reaping though."

"So you don't have any family other than them?" he asked and Taiya shook her head. Taiya picked up a glass off the bar nervously and looked at it. "I wouldn't recommend that," he said, taking it off her. "Try this," he handed her a shot glass.

"What is it?" she asked, taking it from Haymitch's hand.

"Try it and I'll tell you," he challenged. Taiya smiled and threw it back, slamming the glass onto the bar.

"Oh my god," she coughed. "That's vile," she laughed.

"Vodka," he smirked. "Trust me, you'll grow to love it, it's the only thing that'll get you through events like this. How about for now you stick to this?" he handed her a glass of champagne.

"Thanks," she took it and drank it in one.

"I like the way you think," he laughed, getting her another one. "But you're not meant to drink champagne that way."

"My escort told me off for that before the Games," Taiya smiled.

"How are you really doing though?" he asked her, looking around to make sure no one was listening.

"I'm worried they're going to come out and arrest me any moment," Taiya confessed.

"Not a chance sweetheart. Everyone here loves you. You're the new Capitol darling. Couldn't arrest you even if they wanted to."

"I just want to go home and be left alone. I don't know how you come back here every year," she said bitterly, picking up a cocktail umbrella off the bar.

"Well, the other victors make it bearable."

"Are they nice?"

"Some are more my taste than others. Chaff from 11, great drinking buddy. You'll find your own little clique, don't worry. They're a nice bunch once you get to know them. Nothing like a little trauma to bring people together. Although you might want to worry because your escort is headed this way," he said, reaching over the bar to grab a bottle before hurrying off.

"Honestly, that District 12 mentor is an animal!" Moxie exclaimed as she took Taiya's hand. "Come meet my friends!"

*********************

Taiya followed Moxie around for the next half hour smiling and meeting all her friends. Everyone was pushing each other out of the way to meet her. She'd met a handful of sponsors Tyler had organized for her who were all too eager to tell her how they'd help her win, they spoke like they'd been there with her.

"Sorry ladies and gentlemen," Tyler interrupted, coming up behind her. "But I'll need to steal her for a while," he took her elbow and lead her away from the pack of vultures. "I've got the Crane boys waiting at a table for you."

"Are they the ones I pointed out at the parade?" she asked quietly

"Yes. Seneca and Romulus sponsored you out of their own pockets. They're an elite family here in the Capitol. Long history with the Games, they've had head Gamemakers in the family. You're the first tribute the boys have sponsored so they're pretty excited for you to have won."

"Excited?" she asked incredulously.

"They're raised differently to us. It's the way they're brought up to see it. Seneca! Romulus!" Tyler called out, the two men standing up from their seats. "This is Taiya Ambersnow."

"Hello," she smiled nervously.

"Hi, I'm Romulus," he shook her hand, nudging his brother to get him to do the same.

"You going to be ok?" Tyler asked her. "I have to talk to some people." Her eyes widened and he smiled. "You'll be fine," he whispered before leaving.

She turned back around to look at them nervously and Romulus held out his hand. "Please sit."

They sat in silence for a moment before Seneca spoke up. "Your stylist did a good job."

"Thanks," she nodded.

"So um... how are you enjoying the party?" Romulus asked.

"It's great. Very... bright," she laughed nervously. "You two you look kind of normal." They both looked at her with smiles and her eyes widened. She shouldn't have said that.

"Yeah we hate hair dye," Seneca laughed and she relaxed. "We can blend in enough with manicured beards. I mean Romulus will be able to when it finally grows in."

"I can grow a beard," Romulus protested.

"Yeah, sure. Until then stick to your fancy clothes," Seneca joked, making Taiya laugh. Seeing he made her laugh, the boy sat up straighter and smiled widely.

"Why don't you two have a dance?" Romulus suggested.

"I'm sure she doesn't want to dance Romulus, shut up," Seneca hissed.

"I don't really know how to dance like this," she giggled nervously as she looked at the people dancing. It wasn't anything like how they danced in District 4.

"Seneca knows how to dance. Teach her Sen," Romulus shoved him.

"Could you teach me?" Taiya asked.

"You actually want to dance?" he asked, eyes widening and she nodded. "Ok, of course," he leaped up, holding out his hand. Taiya gave him a small smile as she took his hand, allowing him to lead her to the dance floor. "Ok, so it's really easy. Basically, you just hold your hand here," he said, placing her hand on his shoulder. "I place my hand here," he placed his hand on her waist. "And we hold these hands," he squeezed her hand gently, "and just move to the music." They started swaying and she looked down, too uncomfortable to look him in the eyes. "I'm sorry," he broke the silence. "This is awkward."

"It is a bit," she agreed nervously. "Tyler told me your family is heavily involved in the Games?"

"Yeah, we are. It's kind of a family tradition. I'm a Gamemaker in training. Who knows, maybe one day I'll make head Gamemaker."

"Why would you want to?" she asked curiously.

"It's the family legacy. I'm the oldest, I'm expected to try to get to be head Gamemaker. It'd be excellent to orchestrate. I'd like to make a difference."

"Make a difference?" she asked curiously. Maybe he wasn't like other Capitol people.

"I mean I'd do a better job of it than they did this year," he said and she tensed. "Snow whilst aesthetically pleasing, does lose some of the action warmer landscapes can provide."

"Right. Doesn't it just," she stuttered. Guess he was like the rest of the brainwashed Capitol citizens.

Noticing she was uncomfortable he quickly changed the conversation. "I'm sorry my brother forced you to dance with me. He can be a bit obtuse sometimes."

"Don't apologize. He seemed nice."

"Mind if I cut in?" the man she recognized as Beetee asked.

"Certainly," Seneca agreed, handing her over to Beetee before scurrying off.

"I apologize you had to dance with him," Beetee said quietly.

"He actually wasn't that bad," Taiya admitted. "Better than some of the other people who have spoken to me tonight."

"The Crane's can be a dangerous enemy. But similarly a powerful ally. I'd tread carefully," he warned and she nodded.

"We don't have to dance if you don't want to," Taiya said as she looked at his awkward shuffling.

"Do you mind? I'm afraid I've never had much of a talent for this," he smiled.

*********************

The next day Taiya finally found herself on the train home. It was a quick journey to District 4 so she'd be home in only a few hours. Finnick had joined her on the seat at the back of the train, sitting in silence, waiting for her to talk.

"I'm not going to talk Finnick," she snapped, sick of him watching her.

"We don't have to talk about the Games. We can talk about anything. The beach, Mags's cooking, what we're going to have for dinner tonight."

"I'm just going to have whatever's in my fridge Finnick, I don't know what you're having."

"Your fridge?" he asked confused.

"I have my own house now Finnick. I don't need to stay at yours," she huffed.

"I mean, yeah, I know you do. But I thought you'd want to stay? It helps to have someone else around. Help get you through the nightmares. You should know, you've woken me up from enough of mine," he joked.

"Yeah well, I don't want your help Finnick. I can do this myself. Without you. "

"Are you sure that's best?" he asked.

"Yeah. It is."

"You don't have to push me away Taiya. I'm your boyfriend." She sighed as she rubbed her face. "What?" he frowned.

"I don't need you to be my boyfriend right now Finnick. I need you to be my friend. I'm sorry but that's not what I want right now."

"Oh," his shoulders sagged. "That's... that's ok. Whatever you need to do to help yourself."

"Why aren't you mad?" she snapped.

"Why would I be mad?"

"Because I told you I don't want to be with you. You said you've wanted this for years and I'm saying no. Be angry at me!"

"I can't do that," he shook his head.

"Why not!"

"Because you want me to be mad," he slumped back into the seat. "I know how you work Tay. You want me to be mad so you can push me away. It's just like your mom and your uncle did to each other. You put up walls to keep people out, but that won't help you heal."

"Do not compare me to my mother!" Taiya snapped. "I'm nothing like her!

"It's not a bad thing Taiya. It's how your mind wants to cope with things, but it's not healthy. I'm not going to let you follow your mom's path and put up all these walls to block out the world. It'll only make you miserable. So I'm not going anywhere ok. So you can try your best to push me away so you can wallow by yourself, but I won't go, I'll be here waiting. I'll be ready whenever you are. For whatever you need. Friend, boyfriend, anything" he kissed her head and left her alone.

As soon as he left she burst into tears. She could feel her soul drowning in misery and she didn't want to take anyone else down with her.

*********************

This is the end of the first part of this story! The next part will cover up until the start of Catching Fire! Just a note, I will have a little change, Johanna will win the next Hunger Games, the 68th. I want to build a good friendship between these two and the 71st games are too far away. Hope you liked this chapter, please remember to leave a vote and commment with your thoughts! What do you think Taiya's relationship with the Crane's will be like?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

297K 5.9K 95
Querencia - a place from which one's strength is drawn, where one feels at home; the place where you are your most authentic self Talisa Moreno Winne...
236K 3.6K 35
"I did not pull that trigger." "...But you handed me the gun." (timeline) Catching Fire - Mockingjay Part 2 #1- finnickodair #1- catchingfire #1- the...
11.7K 311 28
The Hunger Games | Finnick Odair ----------- โDon't leave me, please don't leave me. Don't leave me alone.โž โI won't leave you Finnick,โž She kissed...
9.1K 517 44
REWRITE of my 2019/2020 fic 'The Murderess || Finnick Odair.' It may be significantly different from the original, as I am working to make it better...