Cursed to the Bone

By daniwoof

Eighteen-year-old witch, Vera Tate, attends a magic university where she meets vampire prince Lucien Lacroix... More

1. Twig Life
2. A Warm Welcome
3. Charlatans
4. Spells Fired
5. The Needle of Your Eye
6. Out for a Swim
7. The bad thing about flowers...
8. That Which Remains
9. The Center of a Storm
10. An Unfortunate Assignment
11. Becoming Friends
12. Under the Fang
13. Curious Eyes
14. Spirited Away
15. Staying Alive
16. The Epitome of Discretion
17. A Study in Control
18. Fair Game
19. Mirror, Mirror, on the wall...
20. The Cost
21. A Startling Realization
22. He's a Keeper
23. Anchors Away
24. Detention
25. Winter Blues
26. Besties
27. Reckless Abandon
28. Run away, little girl!
29. What it means to suffer...
30. Something Wicked
31. Mind over Matter
32. Mums the Word
33. The Fiery Skipper
34. Cats and Bags
35. Journalistic Instinct
36. Smitten
37. Rigged
38. Trial and Error
39. An Enemy Appears
40. When it rains...
41. Dancing with Devils
42. The Value of Friendship
43. The Pioneer Program
44. The Eyes Have It
45. The Real Threat
46. Guilty Conscience
47. No Meddling Zone
48. In Good Company
49. Special Delivery
50. Dream River
51. Unbidden Memories
52. Like a Butterfly
53. Double Trouble
55. The Trial of Trust
56. Misery?
57. Being Strong
58. Quicksand
59. Killer Instinct
60. Dangerous Curiosity
61. Sharing a Secret
62. The Only Choice
Book Two Status:
Changes Update: 12/11/21

54. To Bend the Knee

96 19 43
By daniwoof

Standing in the quad beneath the Wisteria, I peered beyond the floating orbs at the canvas canopies hanging from rooftop to rooftop. It was pouring rain, and still, the canopies held. Each spot of rain on the midnight fabric created a glowing dot that faded in seconds. With the rain coming down so relentlessly, it was an endless light show.

"Thank God we got those up, hm?" It was Tedric Halsey. He stroked his chin and smiled up at the canopies, his eyes flashing with pride.

"I almost hope it rains tomorrow."

"It would be fortuitous if it did." As Tedric gestured me to follow, I did. We moved beneath the tree, testing the pavers that surrounded its base. They were cleared of fallen petals, courtesy of some wind magic, and the stones themselves were colored copper and polished to such a smooth effect that they looked wet. With the orbs, it was going to be a pretty place to dance. Romantic, even. The wisteria dangled low, but not so much that they'd get in the way of any dancing that took place beneath the branches.

"You see the windows?"

I lifted my stare to the walls as we emerged from beneath the tree. It was hard to discern where the windows were, as a great effort had been made to make the walls appear as gold curtains. "No."

"Exactly. We'll have extra council police observing from up there if you do choose to come." Tedric faced me, his smile gone. He rubbed his forehead and glanced around. "Given the position I'm in, it's difficult to throw my weight around, but I thought you should know that Kieran Lacroix is in town and has made many requests. She seems to believe you'll be present at the dance and be leaving with her."

My stomach dropped. I definitely didn't like that. "I see."

"Vera, we must speak." It was Lucien Lacroix approaching, and by the sound of his voice, it was serious. If he wanted to take me to meet his mother and ship me off with her, he had another thing coming.

"Ah." Tedric moved past me and approached Lucien. "Tell me what you think, Lacroix! Fantastic, isn't it?"

"Quite." Lucien didn't smile and he didn't tear his gaze from me, even as Tedric wrapped his arm around his shoulder to steer him.

Feeling anxious, I cast Quick-Step. I didn't know with certainty what I was running from, but there was a Remnant on the other side of the quad. I could hide in the Fields of Fright for a bit. Apologies could be made later.

"Vera!" Lucien shouted, the distress in his voice almost enough to make me stop and look. Almost. Instead, I reached for the Remnant. I never made it. A rough hand grabbed me by the arm and spun me around while forcing my hand into a fist.

Lucien stared down at me, his eyes tight and his brows furrowed. Damn him and his vampire speed.

"Let my student go, Lacroix." Tedric approached, his voice distressed and his smile gone.

"My wife and I need to speak."

"What kind of power trip is this?" I yanked at my arm, unable to stop the quiver in my voice as I said, "Let go."

"Vera, stop." The clenching of his jaw was an unmistakable hint that I was pissing him off. "Running will not help."

Without so much as a farewell, Tedric vanished in a twist of magic and I couldn't blame him for leaving. There wasn't anything he could do in the situation.

"What's going on?"

"My mother." Lucien loosened the hold on my arm, but not enough that I could get free. "She wishes to speak with us. Running from her will only last so long. I need you to trust me."

Getting married to this man was one nightmare after the last. My heart raged. I tightened my hands into fists to keep myself from shaking. "I don't want to."

"I am aware. You will have to kneel."

"Please don't make me. I can't."

"I will be there with you. When it is over, I will take you from her." His fingers brushed against my cheek. I snapped my heated stare to his as he tucked my bangs behind my ear. His earnest gaze did nothing to soothe my anger. He stepped forward, the space between us very little, and his magic circled us and took us into the air. I tensed as we appeared in a fancy room, my weight returning, and looked around. I had no idea where we were.

"Ah. Vera." Kieran stood at the window, her hands folded at the back of a beautiful red dress. "I'm rather excited about the dance. I've never had the chance to dote on a daughter figure before."

"Is that what you call it? Doting?"

Lucien's hand tightened around my arm ever so slightly before he released me.

"I find that I enjoy your fire, my butterfly, but I believe we discussed something last we spoke. Show your loyalty to the family." Kieran approached and offered her hand.

It took every ounce of my strength not to allow even a hint of a tear free. Kneel, do whatever she wanted, and get the hell out. That was my plan. Swallowing my pride, I kneeled and awkwardly grabbed her hand. "What do I do with your hand?"

"My son is so cruel to teach you nothing." Kieran took my hand, instead, and bent to kiss the top of it. "That will suffice. Welcome to the family, my butterfly. I would like for us to be close. A gift." She gestured to the bed where a rather large box rested.

Allowing her to lead the way, I stared bitterly as she lifted the lid. Inside was an emerald dress in a silky fabric. If was an off-the-shoulder type that would leave my shoulders and neck on full display. It was beautiful, but not for me. Not at all. I touched my fingers to the collar of my turtleneck. The scar felt larger than ever. "I can't wear that, ma'am."

"Mother. You may call me Mother. And you can wear it, my butterfly. It's yours." She lifted it from the box and pushed it into my hands. "Go try it on. Make sure it fits."

"Mother." Lucien came to my side. "That's enough. She has shown her loyalty, as is demanded. I will not allow you to toy with her."

"Lucien, you're too overprotective. My attempts to befriend her are genuine. Let your mother adore your wife." Kieran ushered me into an empty, walk-in closet. "Change while my son and I speak." The door clicked shut.

I crushed the offending fabric in my fists as I sat on a cushioned bench. Part of me was tempted to cast Relocation and pray the school wasn't too far away. Death from blood freezing may even have been preferable, but I wasn't a quitter. In fact, she probably expected me to get angry and cry. Not a chance.

The door opened. I whipped my head around to get a look at the intruder. Lucien. The door shut softly behind him and he approached, the corner of his mouths lifting in the smallest of smiles. "Let's go."

"Go?" I asked, lifting the dress. "What about this?"

"Did you want to put it on?"

I shook my head.

"Then do not." Lucien offered me a hand. "We can leave and I will explain all I have failed to."

An explanation sounded good. Taking his hand, I stood.

Everything around us changed as the effects of Relocation took us again. When the magic faded, we stood in a dark room. It was his office, the gray light from the window barely creeping in through closed curtains and the air somehow warm.

Lucien gestured at one chair as he slumped into the other, and waved the candles lit. "Sit, please."

Exhaling a great sigh, I sat with the balled up dress in my lap and fiddled with the fabric. I wasn't sure why I didn't just toss the dress on the floor when we left, but I did consider, briefly, that Rhett would enjoy seeing it.

"Forgive me for allowing that to happen. It is safest for you to be accepted within my family."

"Will it always be like that?"

"Not the way you think. You are mine to protect. My mother has no control over you, especially now that she has accepted you. Treat her with all the fire you wish. I will enjoy watching her burn."

"That's it?" The tightness in my chest uncoiled, and the tension melted away. Blinking, I searched his crimson stare. "I can do whatever I want now?"

"Within reason."

"And this dress. I don't have to wear it or go to the dance?"

"Going to the dance is up to you." His gaze flicked to my neck where I toyed with the collar of my shirt. "The scar is a sign of your strength. You need not hide it, but if you would like me to acquire a necklace for you, I can."

"No," I blurted out, face warming at his offer. "That's okay. I'm not going. The headmaster mentioned that your mother was intending to take me with him after the dance."

"No. Tedric Halsey has a limited understanding of how my family operates. My mother can make all the plans she likes, but she cannot order you to do anything. You are not meant to yield or serve. You are your own entity."

Oh, thank the Goddess. "This would have been way easier if you told me that to begin with." I collapsed in the chair, hanging my head back to stare at the ceiling. "I'm sorry I ran from you."

"You never have to apologize. All I ask is that you not lose your trust in me. I will look out for your interests. I have sworn it."

Feeling ashamed, I chewed on my lip. I sure did an awful lot of doubting Lucien with no reason to do so. If he ever decided I wasn't worth the trouble, I wouldn't blame him. Chancing a peek, I caught him staring. "Can I hang out with you tomorrow?"

"My presence is not required at the dance. If you do not intend to go, I would not protest a quiet evening."

Did that mean he intended to go if I did? Curious. I tried not to put much thought into that as I climbed to my feet. "Then I'll come here tomorrow."

Lucien rose, a faint smile present. "Shall I return you to your dorm?"

"That's okay. A walk will do me some good."

"Goodnight, Vera."

"Night."

Thanks for reading! Please vote if you enjoyed and let me know what you thought. 💕

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

541 117 31
Who ever said, Painting's were boring, that they had no real meaning to them, that evil didn't exist, that magic wasn't real, that the world was jus...
832K 34.5K 44
Nat Xavier was just trying to survive grad school. Literally. Her closest friends would almost certainly kill her if they knew her secret. Why? Becau...
2.3K 389 21
18 + MATURE CONTENT "Looking for a love story with a supernatural twist? Crave something steamy with detailed, passionate scenes? If you're a fan of...
315 59 16
The world as she knows it was built on lies. The city she lives in was built on blood. Brianna Fletcher was blissfully unaware of the dark history su...