Legends from the Warlock's Ch...

By DaveMorgan

The Warlock's Chair. A place of magic and adventure. Long ago when the world wa... More

Prologue - From Below
Chapter One - Stryker
Chapter Two - The Daemon in the Woods
Chapter Three - A'trael of the Bloodclaw
Chapter Four - The Prime Tree
Chapter Five - The Key
Chapter Six - Decisions
Chapter Seven - Death Walks Among Us
Chapter Eight - The Portal Is Sealed
Chapter Nine - The Night Witch
Chapter Ten - Oaktooth
Chapter Eleven - The Wolf and Blade
Chapter Thirteen - Howler Attack
Chapter Fourteen - Darkness and Lies
Chapter Fifteen - Into the Wildlands
Chapter Sixteen - Prisoner of the Wild Hunt
Chapter Seventeen - The Wizard and the Wyrm
Chapter Eighteen - Holt's Agreement
Chapter Nineteen - The Price You Pay
Chapter Twenty - Scavengers
Chapter Twenty-One - The Cave of Lachlan Torqe
Chapter Twenty-Two - The Key Stones
Chapter Twenty-Three - Between Witch and Wyrm
Chapter Twenty-Four - The Daemon and The Sacrifice
Chapter Twenty-Five - The Glamour and The Shadows
Chapter Twenty-Six - The Queen and the Cardinal
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Deeper and Deeper
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Daemon Attack
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Charnel
Chapter Thirty - The Crypt
Chapter Thirty-One - Nightlures and Inquisitors
Chapter Thirty-Two - A Truce With the Wild Hunt
Chapter Thirty-Three - Within the Shadows
Chapter Thirty-Four -The Maegester, The Cardinal, and The Witch
Chapter Thirty-Five - Interrogate, Capture, Escape
Chapter Thirty-Six - Trapped Within The Hive
Chapter Thirty-Seven - Battle of the Daemon Arena
Chapter Thirty-Eight - Return to Ravengaard Manor
Chapter Thirty-Nine - Helven

Chapter Twelve - A Dangerous Path

938 90 0
By DaveMorgan

ELDON THE GIANT STEPPED FORWARD and grasping both girls in his muscular arms, he lifted them into the air.

'Danielle, Jessica, it is good to see you both,' he said with a huge grin.

'And you Eldon,' both girls echoed whilst gasping for breath.

'Sorry,' he said setting them back down. 'I sometimes forget my own strength. Especially around small humans.'

'Never mind the niceties,' grumbled Bredock Holt. 'How and why have you brought us here?'

'The how would be my doing Gnome,' Oaktooth declared. 'Now you are here I will leave it up to these saplings to tell you the why.'

Bredock fixed his eyes on the girls, glancing from face to face. 'Well is one of you going to enlighten me.' he snapped.

'I will.' Danielle said quickly. 'But not until you explain why you still have The Amulet of Hidden Ways. It was supposed to have been given to Ceridwen for safekeeping.'

The Gnome shrugged. 'And it will be... Soon. We are just sorting out some important matters before we do.'

'Visiting alehouses is not important.' Danielle remarked.

'Not to you maybe, but to...' Bredock spluttered. 'Why am I justifying myself to you child? Now explain yourself.'

'You had better do as he asks. You know how stubborn he can become.' Eldon warned.

Danielle realized it was no good irritating Bredock any further. They required his help. She briefly explained what had happened to George and how the Elves had sealed off their lands.

'So in a way, it's good you didn't return the Amulet to Ceridwen. We need it to get into Ellyonia. Can you help us?'

'But...' Bredock began to say.

'Ignore my small friend,' Eldon said. 'We will do everything in our power to help you. Will we not Bredock?'

The Gnome looked suitably exasperated. 'Yes, of course. But I am not sure that even the Amulet will have enough power to break through any barriers the Elves have erected.'

'But if we combine our power then we should be able to counter the Elven magic,' came a disembodied voice

Danielle swung around looking for the source. There was a humming in the air of the little clearing and suddenly Ceridwen and Sorrow her wolf-dog stood beside her.

They exchanged greetings. Danielle and Jessica hugged her close. Eldon helped her to drier ground and seated her on a fallen log.

'It's good to have you here.' Danielle told Ceridwen. 'But how did you know?'

'I took it upon myself to summon the witch,' Oaktooth stated. 'Certain elements of any plan can sometimes lead to disappointment.'

Bredock Holt shot the tree a sideways glance and mumbled something about a pile of sawdust.

'Now, now boys, can you put your petty differences aside and deal the problem of how to get the girls into Ellyonia,' the White Witch said.

The Gnome exchanged a quick glance with Oaktooth. 'I see no reason why not,' he said. 'The sooner we get them on their way the sooner I can get to Gwadelen Pass.'

Ceridwen smiled. 'I think not Bredock. If they go, the girls will need protection. Oaktooth as explained much and I sense a great danger where they are going. A danger that will soon affect us all if it is not stopped.'

Bredock sighed heavily. 'We have important business with...'

'That will have to wait I am afraid.' Ceridwen interrupted. 'Now, unless you want me to call for a meeting of the Elders and ask why you have not handed over the Amulet. I would suggest you help us in any way you can.'

The Gnome nodded his agreement.

'You need not do this,' Ceridwen told Danielle. 'You and Jessica can remain here while Eldon and Bredock go in search of George.'

'I know,' Danielle replied sadly. 'But I feel responsible for him going off on his own. I should have gone with him and talked to the Elves. Let them know we are not at their beck and call. We did it the once and I promised I would not let it happen again. We are just children. Children who get up in the morning and go to school, watch TV, listen to music and all the other things kids do. We don't go to war, use magic and fight monsters. We were lucky last time, but one day that luck will run out.'

'I understand,' the White Witch told her quietly. 'But that is the problem. Once you have become embroiled in the mysteries that beset the Faerie Lands it is hard to put them aside. The longer you stay at Ravengaard Manor the harder it will be to break free of the circle you find yourself in. The Faerie Folk, especially the Elves have a way of drawing you in, bending you to their will. Call it magic if you want, but you find yourself helping them even if you know it is wrong. Others have fallen under their spell and paid a price.'

Danielle looked shocked. 'Are you trying to tell me that George is under their spell. What happened to these other?'

'I have already said too much child,' Ceridwen said anxiously. 'I will explain all to you another time. For the present, let us concentrate on getting you into Ellyonia.'

Danielle was confused. All was not as it seemed. She thought back to the first time they encountered Oaktooth. Do not trust the Elves, he had warned. They believed it was just the tree being cranky. But now...

Danielle squeezed Jessica's hand and watched the rift appear in the air before them. It grew wider, glowing brightly. A roaring wind sprang up snatching at their hair and clothing as if trying to forcibly draw them into the shimmering light.

Standing behind them, Eldon placed a calming hand on each of their shoulders. 'Steady girls. Do not worry it is just like walking through a doorway,' he hollered above the howl of the wind.

'We may only get one chance at this,' Bredock Holt shouted angrily. 'So try and get it right the first time.'

'We will do our part short one,' Oaktooth spoke, his voice barely a whisper above the rushing wind. 'Follow the path I have chosen and you will reach your destination unharmed. But beware the ancient spirit paths that also crisscross the earth. In places, they intersect with the lines of power. The barrier of Elven magic may disrupt these paths, should you deviate you will be lost forever.'

'Well that sets my mind at rest,' Bredock moaned.

'I will cast a spell that will afford you some protection,' said Ceridwen raising her staff. 'Come back safe.'

Elani ex'colthiania desinea atalthi, Danielle heard the Witch whisper.

Bredock stepped forward leading them into the light.

The light folded around them. Danielle felt the wind tugging at her trying to draw her in. She shivered involuntarily, a chill seeping deep into her bones. Around them lightning crackled, causing her skin to prickle and hair to stand on end. A winding translucent tunnel flowed ahead of them. Through its walls, Danielle could see other such tunnels twisting and turning through a sea of darkness.

She glanced at Jessica. She was still holding her hand, gripping it tighter she pulled her sister close.

Bredock slowed. He held out the Amulet waving it in front of him.

'Something is wrong,' he called back. His voice echoed as if from afar. 'The journey usually takes but an instant. We should be through by now.'

'Oaktooth did say the Elven magic may interfere with the Amulet,' Eldon said calmly. 'We should push on.'

The Gnome nodded and moved off again.

Something moved out in the blackness, drawing closer. Danielle shielded her eyes, trying to glimpse what it was. Suddenly it was there, hurling itself against the wall of the passageway. Dark-eyed and shrouded in grey it's bone claws sparked and scraped at the membrane of the tunnel, trying to break through and reach the living within.

Jessica screamed and shied away.

'It is a spirit creature, one of the dead things that infest the dark nothingness between the realms.' Bredock cried out.

Others appeared, swarming around the rippling surface. They twisted and writhed, pressing themselves closer.

Bredock hasten them forward. 'Quickly now. Stay on the path, they should be unable to break through Ceridwen's spell.'

Danielle was not so sure.

They ran, racing after the Gnome along the swirling passageway. Eldon followed his battle-axe now in his hand. The spirit creatures chased them, swimming alongside, scratching and hammering at the barrier. A terrible wailing rose from them, a sound of grief and misery that ripped into Danielle's brain. Jessica stumbled groaning in pain. But Eldon snatched her up and kept running.

Something larger joined the phantom creatures. Red-eyed and wraith-like it wrapped itself around the tunnel. Like a huge constricting snake, it began to squeeze. With a dreadful cracking, the wall of the tunnel started to shatter.

Bredock spun around surveying the spider web of damage that the wraith thing was causing. 'Ceridwen's spell is weakening. We must get out of here before the protection is breached.'

Just ahead something was happening. The passage seemed to end in a swirling vortex of wind and light. Danielle could see Bredock standing there beckoning them forward. 'Hurry up. This is our way out,' she heard him shout above the noise.

At that point, Jessica shouted a warning.

Danielle skidded to a halt and turned to watch one of the spirits creatures filtering smoke like through the broken barrier. It reformed inside and with a banshee scream hurled itself at Eldon. He dropped Jessica, pushed her away, and half turned to face the creature. It was on him in a flash. Ghostly claws grasped him, and even as big and strong as he was, he could not escape its grip. Danielle watched in horror as it started to drain the life from the Giant.

She brought up her bow and unleashed an arrow at the phantom. Whether it was the passage of the arrow or the magic it contained she did not know. But as the arrow struck, the creature let out a bone-chilling screech and exploded in a shower of grey dust.

Eldon staggered and dropped to one knee. Behind him, more of the spirit things broke through the weakened barrier. Danielle fired another arrow and shouted to Eldon to hurry. He climbed to his feet and forced himself to move. But there were too many of them and he would not be able to outrun them all.

Suddenly Jessica darted passed him. 'Jess, get out of there before it's too late.' Danielle screamed.

Jessica pulled the wand from her belt and pointed it at the creatures. She conjured a ball of flame and sent it spinning into the writhing mass. Some disintegrated, others wheeled away trying to escape the cleansing fires.

Sending another fireball into their ranks Jessica turned and ran. She grabbed Eldon's hand. 'Come on now's our chance,' she snapped at him.

They raced towards Bredock and the tunnel's exit. Then the passageway collapsed completely and the red-eyed snake thing slithered after them.

Danielle risked a glance over her shoulder. It was nearly on top of them. Other spirit creatures swarmed around it eager to get at the fleeing figures.

Then they were through. Danielle felt herself falling. She landed with a bump in some long grass. The other dropped down beside her. She heard a whoosh and looked up in time to see the exit wink shut as Bredock cut off the Amulet's magic.

Jessica sat up and rubbed her shoulder. 'Well, I'm not going back that way,' she mumbled.

Danielle stood and looking around. It was night time and they appeared to be in a forest. The scent of wildflowers filled the air and from somewhere close by the call of a night bird disturbed the silence.

Bredock took one of the Elven lanterns from his bag and turned it on. 'Are you well? Eldon, how are you?'

'A little weak, but thanks to the girls there seems to be no lasting damage,' the Giant replied.

'Where are we?' Danielle questioned.

The little Gnome breathed deeply sniffing at the air. 'Well, we are definitely within the Elven land. But exactly where I cannot tell in the darkness. We will wait here. Get some rest. Daylight is not too far away.'

Danielle was a little disappointed. But she could see no point in blundering about in the dark. She made herself comfortable next to Jessica. Although it had not been long since they woke up she was feeling a little tired.

Gazing up at a little patch of stars, she could see through the treetops, she wondered what George was doing at the moment.

Later she would find her brother and try to talk him out of his foolishness.

Would he listen to her or the Elves?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75 0 6
With Azeroth being tormented by the Lich King and his army of Undeath, Nightingale believes keeping his Ren'dorei safeguarded within Telogrus will le...
205 5 22
This is a story about two girls. Lily is a human while Elaine is a demon. Or that's what everyone thinks. Demons have control in a city, state, or co...
7.6K 566 7
This is a prequel to Legends from The Warlock's Chair - Ravengaard. The Warlock's Chair. A place of magic and adventure. Long ago when the world was...
26 0 8
When a young nameless girl wakes up in a peculiar world, she looses feeling and memory of herself. Why she got there, who she used to be, what some o...