The Romanos

By Dancestar273

Ember is an ordinary 18 year old girl. Well, almost. Her life hasn't been easy. When she was nine her little... More

General Information
Chapter 1- Ember Sloan
Chapter 2- Il Romanos
Chapter 3- Her Return
Chapter 4- Sisters
Chapter 5- Suspicious
Chapter 6- Mireille Aries, The Day After
Chapter 7- Jace
Chapter 8- Clique
Chapter 9- Amused Or Unamused
Chapter 10- Dinner
Chapter 11- Meet and Greet
Chapter 12- Relationships
Chapter 13- Confession
Chapter 14- Twenty-One Questions
Chapter 15- Old Acquaintance
Chapter 16- Emotions
Chapter 17- Changing
Chapter 18- M.M.I.A. (Mom Missing In Action)
Chapter 19- Heartache
Chapter 20- Dearest Chap
Chapter 21- New Arrangements
Chapter 22- First Night
Chapter 23: Monday Morning Mayhem
Chapter 24- Girls Only
Chapter 25- What I Didn't Know
Chapter 26- Change Of Plans
Chapter 27- Custody
Chapter 28- Memories
Chapter 29- Game Day
Chapter 31- The Fight
Chapter 32- Romano Corporation
Chapter 33- Romano Corporation (Part 2)
Chapter 34- Night Passion
Chapter 35- Night Passion (Part 2)
Chapter 36- Scary Decisions
Chapter 37: Secrets and Fire
Chapter 38: Learning
Chapter 39: Boo Bitch
Chapter 40: His World
Chapter 41- The Vampires, The Beloveds, And The One Who Wasn't Invited
Chapter 42- Reale Cena
Chapter 43- Reale Cena Part 2
Chapter 44- Split View
Chapter 45: The Truth Between Us

Chapter 30- Game Day (Part 2)

21 1 0
By Dancestar273

  Keeley and Kayden rose from their seats as fast as they could without causing suspicion and covered their brother so he wan't visible to others. Keisha and I take our chances and sit on the table, I guess in attempt to cover Keeley and Kayden. 

"We need a distraction." I hear Kayden say.

"We got it." I respond, referring to Keisha and I.

  I grab Keisha's hand and we both stand atop our table.

"What exactly is our distraction?" Keisha whispers to me as heads begin to turn.

"Uh...I was going to say that Jason and Maddie had rescheduled their competition, but I don't think that's such a good idea now."

"Ya think?" 

  I smile nervously.

"Can we use Jace?" 

"He would kill me."

"What other option do we have?"

  People are now looking at my best friend and I like we're crazy. I clear my throat and squeeze her hand, praying for another idea to come to mind. I hate purposefully drawing attention to myself. 

"Ladies and gentlemen listen up, my friend and I have a very important announcement!!" Keisha shouts, commanding the room.

  She then turns and looks at me.

"Yes, and that announcement is..." I stall.

  Mainly juniors are in the cafeteria but from the corner I see a blonde senior walk in.

"Has to do with Jace Sloan!" Keisha finished for me.

  I turn and glare at her. She gives an apologetic smile. Looking back out to our audience I see that the girls have perked up at the mention of my cousin. 

"The rumors around Jace and I are not true first of all! But, because of the attention I have gotten to know his family! So, the first five questions asked, I'll answer!"

"And whoever can guess the inspiration behind his song called White Rose before the end of the day will not only get the opportunity to meet privately with Jace Sloan, but also have a song on his next album inspired by them!" Keisha adds.

  I smile at the lies Keisha and I have told and the chaos they have caused. What makes this whole situation better, is nobody knows the inspiration behind the "White Rose" song. Only our family does.

"Is Jace engaged?!" One girl by the windows shouts.

"Yes!" Keisha and I respond.

"What of the rumor about he and Carrie Taylor?!" Another shouts from the lunch line.

  Keisha and I turn around to find the voice. 

"False, they're just good friends!" I answer.

"Does he care about his fans?!" A guy shouts.

  I roll my eyes at that question. Only if he knew. At Jace's house he has a whole room dedicated to fan mail.

"Of course he does!" Keisha answers.

"Two more!" I shout as a reminder.

  After the last two questions were asked, Keisha and I hopped off the table. Maddie made her way over and it's then that I notice the brothers are gone.

"What happened? What was that?" Maddie asks as we hurriedly walk out.

"You need to talk to Kase." Keisha answers.

"I know, and I will. I just hope he and Jason don't cross paths first." Maddie says.

"What'd Rachel have to tell you?" I ask as we walk through the halls.

"I'd rather not talk about it." 

"Maddie, do you love Kase?" Keisha asks as we turn a corner and go up a staircase.

"Like nobody else, why?"

"You really need show him that."

  Silence then settles between us. Maddie looks to me, clearly confused and upset and the same time. The only thing I can do is half smile. She then sighs and forcefully throws her cup into a trash can we pass. And not even a half step more, Keisha stops walking and groans. I follow her eyes to in front of us. Jason and Gale are coming down the hall. I roll my eyes and my feet no longer move. Those two are like peas in a pod.

"Jason please, not right right now." Maddie says wit a weary smile.

"I'm sorry but I really need to talk with you. I know I'm causing a lot of trouble but I need you to know." Jason says once he's a few feet away from us.

  It's a good thing this hall is pretty much deserted at this time. Nothing is down here but a teacher's lounge and a few technology and business classes. Maddie sighs and runs a hand through her hair. Jason doesn't look desperate but I've never seen him so insistent about anything. After a moment Maddie agrees to talk with Jason and the two of them dip into a deserted classroom. I would've liked it better if they went to the library. It was only a little further.

"We know what you are." Keisha says to Gale.

  He stands across from us with his back against the wall and his arms crossed.

"Not surprised. Though I'm guessing they told you." Gale responds.

"They have names." I state, growing upset.

  Gale scoffs.

"They are monsters."

"Oh, and you're different how?" Keisha snaps.

"We don't go around sucking the life out of people." 

"They aren't all like that. And I'm sure wolves aren't as innocent as you like to think." I comment.

  A student then comes out of one of the classrooms. I assume he's a freshman by how he looks in one direction then the other. Around his neck is a hall pass so he was probably delivering a message from one teacher to another. He flashes a nervous grin at us but doesn't say anything. He figures out that he needs to walk through us, does and is gone. Neither Gale, Keisha or I had any sort of reaction. Picking up where we left off, Keisha continues to drill Gale.

"Our monsters- as you said, are Princes. I assume you know the power they have." 

"You think that would stop a wolf from trying to get to his mate?" 

"Jason had his chance, Gale. Now it's Kase's" I fire.

"Jason didn't know she was his mate at the time." Gale defends.

"That doesn't change anything. Kase has her now, that's all there is to it." Keisha continued. "And we know Kase can care for her. Can Jason?" 

  Gale doesn't seem so full steam ahead now.

"Money isn't love." He says.

"We never said that it was. Trust me, I know love and romance. I'm half French after all."

  Keisha smiles and Gale rolls his eyes.

"Why do you follow him around anyway?" Keisha asks. "It's always just you two. Don't wolves have packs to some tremendous number?"

  Gale hesitates.

"Jason and I are rouges." 

"How come?" I pry.

"Well, not really. There are about thirty of us. Different ages, different stories, all of us. Jason is a bastard alpha's son and I was born to an omega. When I first met Jason we clicked. And just because we're surrounded by other rouges, doesn't mean they have our back. Jason and I, we have each other's backs, because nobody else really does."

  I looked at Keisha and she bit her lip. Okay, now I feel bad. Only a little though. It's not like Jason and Gale are helpless. They were handed a bad set of cards. But that's not what matters, it's how you play them. However, it's saddening all the same. Since Maddie, Keisha and I have met the Romanos, we just can't catch a break.

  Speaking of break, the odd silence is broken by the intercom. Mr. Farley is saying that the volleyball team needs to make their way to the gym. As soon as the announcement has been made, Maddie comes out of the classroom. She didn't look quite right. She looked like she was hurting and confused.

"You okay?" I ask.

"Did he hurt you?" Keisha follows up.

  Maddie walks past us and grumbles. We follow her.

"You'll figure it out Mads." Keisha says gently, putting a hand on our blonde's shoulder. 

"And we'll support your decision." I add, grabbing her hand.

▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪

  Miraculously, Keisha and I managed to make it through the rest of the day without too much trouble. Some people came up to us and tried to guess about my cousin's "White Rose" song. Others were asking where the Romanos disappeared to. It really ticked me off how obsessed people are with someone they don't even have a chance with. That goes for Keeley, Kase, Kayden and Jace.  As for Maddie, she barely got through the day. She constantly and politely told people to leave her alone and listened to rumors.

  Right now though, Maddie, Keisha, Brynlie and I are at Sweet Smiles just conversating. Our teachers were nice enough not to give us any homework today. Their explanation was wanting us to study over previous material.

"Sheesh and people say school is boring." Brynlie says, unwrapping a chewy candy. 

  My friends and I laugh at my sister. It's moments like these that seem to be fewer and fewer. The last time we were here, I was the one between a rock and a hard place. Now it's Maddie and Keisha. 

"Keisha, how are you holding up?" I ask.

  The light mood dims a little. Keisha hesitates before saying anything.

"It hurts, but with everything else going on it's not like I have time to sit around and sulk."

  Maddie, who sits beside Keisha, reaches her hand over and puts it over Keisha's.

"You don't have to distract yourself Keisha. It's better to recognize what happened and let it run its course rather than let it catch up to you later." She says.

  Keisha sighs. 

"Maddie, I love you and as always appreciate your insight, but I'll deal with my mother's death on my own terms. Besides, I already know how she died. I guess I'd also like to know who and why...but I'm fine right now."

"As long as you promise to not end up in another police station we'll let it go." I say, placing my latte on the table.

"I promise." Keisha says with a mischievous glint in her eye.

  I shake my head and look over to my sister. When I look at her, the events of Saturday play in my head. Her being chased by Jace, screaming as she fell off the zipline, Mireille diving to save her. She had to hurt my sister for her own good. I still think there was a better way, but Mireille had her daughter's best interest at heart. And she proved that on Saturday.

"Maddie, Keisha, there's something I need to tell you." I say as I stretch one of my loose curls.

"Okay." Keisha responds.

"What is it?" Maddie asks.

"My Mom...she never hurt Brynlie. Well, not how we thought." 

  Maddie and Keisha look confused as they glance at my sister.

"What do you mean?" Keisha asked.

"When we came come from school she told us that our family has had a past with vampires. And it started with our Great Great Great Great Aunt Delphine."

  I pause to look at my friends. They seem intrigued and Keisha gestures for me to continue. Before I do, I make sure nobody else is near enough to hear.

"Basically, she was the beloved of one vampire and didn't want anything to do with him, he didn't like that so he vowed to ruin the lives of every female in her bloodline. That's how Mireille's sister died. And while that actually drove her away, the rest of everything I thought was wrong."

"She hurt her to drive her away didn't she?" Maddie asks.

  I nod.

"Have you told Keeley?" 

  I shake my head.

"Every time I bring up my mother, he just...changes." 

"Changes?" Keisha pushes.

"He's distant. Almost like he knows something."

"What makes you think that?" Brynlie questioned.

  I shrug and sip from my latte.

"I don't know. I could just be reading too much into it."

"We all need to talk to those Princes." Keisha says, looking out the window. "Maddie about Jason, me about my Mom, and you about yours."

"That's not all." I say.

  Keisha looks back over and grabs a few jellybeans out of her cup. Maddie takes a sip of her hot fruit tea and Brynlie bites into her taffy stick.

"He hasn't told me yet where he, Kase and Vixon went last week."

"They were supposed to tell us at lunch." Keisha says, rolling her eyes.

"Oh, Kase told me last night. The only reason we were going to talk about it at lunch was because Keeley called and said he didn't get a chance to tell you. And I guess Kayden would have told you eventually, Keish." Maddie says.

  Her words hit me like a ton of bricks. All of a sudden I feel warm, and it is not because of my latte. I divert my eyes to the table and try and stop last night's memories from flooding my mind.

"Interesting. So Ember, what were you and Keeley doing last night?" Keisha asks.

  I feel a stupid grin making it's way to my face and grab my drink to try and hide it.

"Emmy?" My sister asks.

  I ignore her and cross my legs.

"Ember?" Maddie asks with a grin of her own.

  This time I slouch. Keisha starts laughing.

"And you thought I'd be first!" She says through her laughter.

  Maddie widens her eyes to try and get me to spill but when I just stare at her she bites her lip and looks away from me.

"That is not what happened Keisha!" I practically shout, putting my cup down.

"Okay, sure." 

"I'm serious."

"I bet you are Sloan."

  I groan in frustration.

"Music to a certain someone's ears I bet."

  I fix my posture and go to defend myself but Maddie beats me to it.

"Keisha, stop it. She says it didn't happen, so it didn't"

"Oh, sweet, innocent Maddie Newton." Keisha coos.

Maddie rolls her eyes.

"Just because I'm not like you doesn't make me innocent." She argues.

"Oh please. You barely curse, you're perfect in everything you do, you haven't had one sip of alcohol, you have a personality of gold, do I need to continue?"

"Do they always do this?" Brynlie asks, leaning closer to me.

"Yup." I respond.

She softly laughs.

"Emmy?"

"Hmm?"

"A fait vous?" (Did you?) She asks with a reserved look in her eye.

She doesn't have to go further into detail for me to understand what she means.

"Non." (No.) I answer honestly.

"Je demandais seulement parce que Vixon semblait irritée ou mal à l'aise la nuit dernière." (I was only asking because Vixon seemed irritated or uncomfortable last night.)

  And now I feel uncomfortable.

"Um, speaking of Vixon."  I change subject. "How is he treating you?"

  My sister bites a fingernail and puts her eyes up at an angle. It reminds me of when she was transitioning from speaking French to English. She's looking for the right word.

"He's honestly not that bad." She says.

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"And how about school?"

"It's different than what I'm used to, but it's fine."

"You like being at home or no?" I ask, forgetting about the two across from me.

"All said and done, probably home."

  I laugh and take a piece of her taffy stick.

▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪

"Amusez-vous bien tous les deux!" (Have fun both of you!) Mom shouts from the sofa.

"Give Maddie our love!" Dad shouts from his office.

"We will!"

"Bye Dad!"

  And with that, my sister and I walk out of the house. After our time at Sweet Smiles we parted ways so Maddie could prepare for her game. The reason the volleyball team was called to the gym mid-day was because the team would now be playing at Pierce High School rather than it be a home game. Maddie told us that that was because Ms. Fisher pushed back the time so the team could clear their head of all of today's drama. And because Pierce High School is our rival the penalty of what we did was whatever they decided. And we all know what they say about home court advantage.

  Maddie would be going with her family to Pierce High. Keisha, Brynlie and I were picked up by the Romanos. And since there are two Bentley SUVs outside of our house I assume Vanessa, Kaisley and Vixon decided to come as well. Brynlie looks over her shoulder and smiles at me Keeley comes from the driver's side of the black Bentley Bentayga that is in front of the cream one.

"Angel." He says.

  A smile immediately comes to my face and butterflies fly in my stomach. I hate him and his smart casual outfits. It's so damn attractive. ... And extra. Like, why does his leather jacket have fur on it? His white shirt is tucked a little to the side which reveals his belt against his black jeans.

"Keekee." I say.

  By now he's reached me and pulls me to him. He has his hands on my lower back, his hips against my own and his lips move briefly with mine.

"How are you darling?" He asks.

"Spectacular right here with you." I respond.

  Keeley smirks.

"Take it off."

  I frown in confusion.

"Take what off?" 

  Keeley lets go of me and takes his leather jacket off.

"This is yours now."

  I roll my eyes when I realize why he's doing this. But just because I get it doesn't mean I give him an easy time.

"You know, if you want to match, I can just run upstairs and grab Jace's. His is quite warm I and comfortable."

"Angel, you're testing limits."

  I giggle and finally remove my fleece jacket. And just for the couple seconds I have no jacket is long enough for the evening air to spread chills on my bare skin.

"E ogni cosa altro." (And everything else.) I hear him mumble as I pull on his jacket.

  The words sound familiar but I still don't know what they mean.

"Better?" I ask, sitting in my hip.

"Much." He responds, taking my hand.

  Keeley walks me to the right side of the cream Bentley and my hand before opening the door.

"Thank-you sir." I say stepping inside the SUV to take my seat.

  Kaisley and Vanessa share a laugh while Keeley rolls his golden eyes.

▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪

  The Pierce High gym was noisy and mostly full. No players are seen yet and the net is in the process of being set up. This school is bigger then ours- though not by much and it's only because ours is older. But that doesn't matter. A bigger school means a bigger gym and that means they also have more seating. So, what exactly does more seating mean exactly? Well if our gym has one set of bleachers that pull out, Pierce High has four. Which is annoyingly smart. There are two bleachers on each side which allows more mobility and space not to mention easier access to the halls. Anyway, Archdale Valley High sits on the two East bleachers and Pierce High sits on the two West bleachers.

  As my group of seven walk to find a good spot to sit, I see Maddie's parents. They sit on the third row back. The first two are always reserved for the players. They smile and wave us over.

"Ember. Keisha. How are you girls doing since we saw you last?" Mrs. Newton asks sweetly. 

  Keeley mumbles something in my ear and I pretend to hear him as I depart from the group. Mr. and Mrs. Newton slide over and I once I've sat beside them I see that Keisha has also left the group. 

"I'm doing fine, how are you?" I ask and answer.

"Work is work but I love it. Nice of you to ask, coconut. And you Keisha? But don't you dare lie to me."

  Keisha softly laughs and curled her hair behind her ear. 

"I'm okay for now Mrs. Newton." She answers. 

  Mrs. Newton smiles and reaches over me to squeeze Keisha's knee. The way she looks at my friend is like how a mother would look at her daughter. That's how Mrs. Newton sees us as even though we're not. And Keisha and I both know it bothers Maddie a little.

"Elliot! Greet the girls!" Mrs. Newton says, with fake anger.

  Keisha and I share a laugh and Mr. Newton does as told.

"Do you girls know if something's bothering Kase?" She asks Keisha and I. "He's usually such a polite and upbeat young thing."

"Lizzie." Her husband says almost like a warning.

"What?"

  Mr. Newton chuckles and takes his wife's hand as he faces her.

"When are you going to stop sticking your nose in other's business, honey?" 

"If I didn't stick my nose in other people's business, you and I wouldn't be here and neither would our precious daughter, now would we?" 

  From past experience, Keisha and I divert our eyes, knowing the two will lean in for a kiss in a matter of seconds. Mr. and Mrs. Newton have always been like that, lovesick with each other since they first dated. Maddie always told herself that's what her and significant other will be like. Keisha gagged every time and said she'd never go over to her house if that was the case. But that's not exactly a surprise since at one point she had her heart set on bad boys. As for me, I don't think I ever had an idea of what my relationship would be be like. It's not like I grew up with a great example in my house.

  Breaking my time traveling thoughts are girlish screams. Our girls and Pierce High girls come rushing out of the locker room. Some are laughing and pointing, others are shouting at each other and others are shaking and combing through their hair or dusting themselves off. Already I know what's happened. Whenever our schools go against each other, we pull some prank. The Pierce High girls have colored dust on them, which means our girls used smoke bombs. No visible damage was done to our girls but I heard something about spiders in lockers.

  About twenty minutes later the game finally started. Keisha and I decided to stay in the third row with Maddie's parents. Since Coach Fisher saw Keisha and I she asked us to keep the girls, hydrated, alert and confident. The Romanos are up top on the bleachers next to us. Every now and then I feel a burning gaze. I never turn around to figure it out though. It's new to me but it feels familiar. A familiarity in which only one person in this world is capable of causing.

  Maddie isn't on the court yet. Her set is the second one. Each set lasts for no longer than thirty minutes. In the first and second you have to get twenty-five points. In the third- if neither team has won the first two then you have to get fifteen points. ... At least that's how I think this works. Maddie has probably explained it one-million times by now, but Keisha and I are better at playing with her than knowing all the technicalities. 

  When the first set is done, Pierce High has won. Their side of the gym has erupted and our side is being a good sport. As Kaori, the first set leader, leads five tired girls off the court, Keisha and I rise from our seats to make sure they each have water and let them know that they did their best. Maddie and five other girls get off the bleachers to meet the new group of Pierce High girls. Both sides of the gym are ready for another set to start. We all cheer our girls on and get ready. Unfortunately on the court is Bailey. That red head gets under Maddie's skin just like Jared. But another thing about Maddie is she- nine times out of ten, doesn't let people get in her head.

  With everything that happened today, she'll probably end up taking that out on the court. Bailey better stay in her lane if she knows what's good for her. I say this because the look on Maddie's face tells me she is not messing around. The referee blows the whistle and the second set begins.

《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》

  Hello y'all! Thanks so much for reading this chapter and my book. It means so much to me. Now, for the tea this week... I got played. But it's all good because my boy bestie always has my back. Love him. Anyway though, I can't get "Hurricane" by Kanye West featuring The Weeknd out of my head. But let me be real clear, I do NOT like Kanye. Well, that's all random. Thanks again for reading and I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

  To close, vote if you want, share if you want and if you want, you can follow me as well! Don't be shy about leaving comments or letting me know of any grammar or spelling mistakes. Hope to see y'all next week!

This week's quote: "Tears are words the heart can't express."

This week's question: Would you rather read inside all day or paint outside all day?

♤4023 words♤

                                                                                -Southern Flower ♡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

106 1 10
Ember is Elena's sister. Both girls are doppelgangers....they are twins. what happens when Ember gets turned and is miraculously stronger than any no...
84.1K 4K 42
"Why the secret?" "Secret? More like secrets. And why do you care anyway?" "Because secrets are like lies, and I always find the truth..." ••••• Elna...
1.9K 183 25
"All those emotions...are only gonna be your downfall." *** Innocence. Family. Love. Betrayal The young Queen Deidra, who was handed the crown has no...
53.8K 2K 200
They say a mother will do anything for their favorite child and that is always true, one day while counting her son's tuition money Carminia noticed...