Jeté to Stardom

By Adifosett

Nova is a star that suddenly releases a massive burst of energy, temporarily becoming extraordinarily bright... More

Character Page
1. The Competition Begins
2. Widely Inappropriate
3. Cheerleader Blues
4. Stealing the Show
5. Dying to Dance
6. She's a Fighter
7. Love on the Dance Floor
8. From Ballerinas to Showgirls
9. Cathy Brings It On
10. It All Ends Here
11. Everyone's Replaceable
12. Return of the Candy Apples
13. Brooke's Turning Point
14. No One Like's A Bully
15. Brooke's Back
16. Jill On the Rampage
17. The Runaway Mom
18. Topless Showgirls
19. Melissa Pleads the Fifth
20. Waiting for Joffery
21. Abbygeddon
22. The Battle Begins
23. Night of the Living Dancers
24. I Know What You Did Last Competiton
25. Double Crowns?
26. Worst Birthday Ever!
27. Break A Leg
28. Revenge of the Candy Apples
29. Solo Fever
30. Nationals 90210
31. The Beginning of the End
32. Out with the Old, In with the New
33. But I'm a National Champion
34. Lair Lair Dance Mom on Fire!
35. Revenge of The Replacements
37. Rotten to the Core
38. You've Been Unfriended
39. Bye Bye Baby
40. All's Fair in Love and War
41. Camouflaged Maunvers

36. Boys Are Cuties, Girls Have Cooties

432 25 0
By Adifosett

"How are you today, Mrs. Florescu," asks Dr. Diaz as he walks into the room with a large grin. "We're here for a potentially sprained ankle?"

Nova giggles as Mamá rolls her eyes. "I'm sure it's not sprained or anything like that. No le ha hecho daño desde que ocurrió. But her dance teacher wants a clean bill of health before she dances this week."

"I'm surprised this isn't Nova. Nova's the clumsy one."

Nova's mouth drops, offended. "Tío Isaac eres malo. I'm not clumsy."

"Oh sí que lo eres," her Uncle chuckles, looking down his clipboard. "I've had to fix you up more times than I can count."

"Leave her alone, Isaac," Mamá orders, with a little smile. "How's Lux?"

"Can I dance?" Lux asks, voice quiet.

Nova glances at her and reaches out her hand to squeeze Lux's. Lux has been completely fine since the competition, but Paige didn't even cry when she broke her foot, and it was broken.

"You can do more than dance. Your X-rays are good. No broken bone, no fractures. Your good to go. I'll write a note, and you're all cleared."

"Yes," Nova high-fives a giddy Lux. It wouldn't feel right to attend a competition without Lux. It wouldn't feel right to go through a week of rehearsal without her sister.

"So we can go?" Lux asks, hopping off the treatment bed.

Uncle Isaac chuckles at her. "You didn't even wait for me to say anything. But yes, you can go."

Mamá stands, tugging her sweater down. "Gracias, Isaac. Oh, call Mamá later."

Uncle Isaac blinks at her. "Por qué. What's wrong?"

"Because you don't call her, and she ends up ranting at me about. Come on, Lux, Nova."

Nova giggles as her Uncle rolls her eyes, just like her Mamá a few minutes ago.

"I'll call her. Te veré más tarde."

"Te veré más tarde, Tio Isaac," Nova chorus with Lux before running out of the office.

If she turns, she will see Mamá and Uncle Tio watching them amusedly.

Nova doesn't, though, because her focus is on getting outside and heading to the dance.

Again, just like last week, the girls and moms are left waiting for Abby to enter the studio. And as always, it sends Nova's suck on the inside of her lips.

I wonder how bad it's going to be? Nova thinks. Not one single entry won last week. Nobody won from the group to the solo, and Studio Bleu beat them in the solo and group divisions.

When Abby walks in, she smiles, surprising Nova. "I just want to look at what fourth place looks like."

She takes a moment to survey the team before speaking again. "This weekend, we will be traveling to Voorhees, New Jersey. We will be attending On Stage America. I don't want to be fourth again.

"On the bottom, Mackenzie. You will not be performing in the group routine this weekend. Next, Maddie. At nationals, you were amazing-- just as good as Chloe, but Chloe won, and ever since then..." Abby shrugs.

Nova frowns. It wasn't true. Maddie's been working really hard since Nationals and even harder since the stakeout.

"Paige," Abby moves on. "Once again, it's the same pattern, Kelly. Like, 'I went, I won. Third was good enough for me.' Nia. You're doing fine but is fine going to make you a star? And next, we have Lux."

Eyes widen, Nova glances at her sister to see her face go blank. I know Nova got fourth, but I didn't think Abby would put her on the bottom row.

"You are not a fourth place dancer, and you should aim to never get lower than second place. Understood?"

"Yes," Lux nods, and for the second time today, Nova reaches out to squeeze her hand in comfort. This time she doesn't let go.

"Kendall. You didn't pull my eyes in a negative way. You actually pulled them in a positive way. When I don't say your name, and I stop yelling at you, I get worried. And.. Chloe. I thought you looked great. It was good.

"Was it exactly what you were supposed to do?" Abby tilts her head. "No. Go out there and do the routine you were taught the way I envisioned it. Better yet, Chloe, do it better than I can imagine it. That's a dancer.

"And next, we have Nova. Just like Lux, your routine was made for first place, and you got second. This is the third time you've gotten second. I don't want a fourth time. And on top of the pyramid... is nobody."

"Nobody in a group that got fourth deserves that spot," Abby pats her hand with the headshots. "Brooke, I don't have you on the team."

Poor Brooke, Nova worries the bottom of her lips. It's their fifth week back, and Brooke still isn't on the pyramid.

"She's been here every week. What is the purpose of her coming every week if you're not gonna put her on the pyramid?" Kelly asks, frustration clear in her voice.

Abby tilts her head. "Brooke, do you want to be here?"

Brooke hesitates before nodding.

"See, that to me is not," Abby points a finger at herself. "A response that I'm looking for. This weekend we are doing a group routine called 'Pink Lemonade.' Brooke, I planned for you to be in the group routine."

"Kendall, you have a solo. Your solo is entitled 'Owe You Nothing.' Remember that I..." Abby gestures to herself. "...owe you nothing. You are very lucky. Embrace this opportunity and make the most of it.

"Nia, you also have a solo. Your solo is entitled 'A Hundred Years from Now.' Is it going to take a hundred more years to straighten those legs and point those feet? Or are you gonna do it now? Lux, you will have a solo."

Nova squeezes their still joined hands, shaking them in excitement.

"It is entitled 'Beautiful Mistake.' Last week was a mistake; this week, your routine has to be breathtaking. Nova, you will have a solo this week, entitled 'Dog days are Over.' No more second place. It's first or bust."

Nova nods, feeling a tightness in her chest. "Yes, Ma'am."

"And I have one more solo. Chloe, do you think you can do the dance that I teach you?" Abby asks the blonde. "Have you talked to your mom about stopping the advocacy for all the other mothers?"

Silently Nova giggles. Christi is never going to stop arguing with Abby.

"Choe, this is a contemporary routine as well. There's lots of hits, accents. It's stronger than you've been doing before, and it's called 'Left in the Dark,'" Abby explains. "The group routine is called 'Pink Lemonade.' You're using hats, and hats are a prop. Drop your hat, and you're off the team."

"God, let's be a little harsh," Kelly jokes as everyone laughs.

But Nova isn't laughing, and neither is Lux and glancing to her left, neither is her Mamá. If Abby can replace everyone once, then she can replace everyone again.

"Moms, you're dismissed. You're going to be rhinestoning," Abby tells them. "Ladies spread apart. Start the warm-up-- grand plié in second."

Letting go of Lux's hand, Nova moves forward. The week looks jam-packed.

∽☆✹☆✹☆✹☆✹☆✹☆∽‌

"I need a trim," Paloma murmurs to herself, holding the ends of her hair.

"Your hair is so thick. I'm jealous," Melissa comments.

Paloma chuckles, letting her hair go to rest against her chest. "It's only cause I cut it. I dyed it so much that it was damaged beyond repair. It was so thin. The bubble gum pink era was fun, though."

"Ha!" Kelly bursts out. "Remember Abby's look when she first saw your hair? She looked at you like you were crazy."

"Oh yeah, she thought I was going to 'negatively influence the students,'" Paloma rolls her eyes.

"I like it when you switched up your hair color?" Melissa says. "It was like cool."

"Thanks?" Paloma chuckles. "But no. No more rainbow hair. We're embracing the expresso."

"How do you feel about Lux being on the bottom?" Jill asks her. "I mean, she didn't forget the routine. She hurt herself, and that's why she got hurt."

Paloma shrugs. "I'm not surprised. I mean, if it was any of the other girls, they would be last on the pyramid, so I expected her to be on the bottom."

Abby would have put any other girls at the bottom, and she didn't expect anything different for Lux.

Down below, she watches as most of the girls leave the studio, leaving Abby and Nia. "Abby's starting with solos this time."

"I must say, I'm surprised that Abby is up," Holly comments. "Melissa, did Abby apologize to you?"

"No," Melissa scoffs. "Has she ever apologized to you?" 

I feel bad for her, Paloma thinks, patting Melissa's knee in comfort.

Melissa looks like she's barely keeping it together. She went from Maddie being one of Abby's top girls to being seventh on the pyramid.

"It surprised me that she said all that stuff to you, and you did not say anything back to her," Kelly remarks.

Melissa frowns, shaking her head. "It is what it is."

"If somebody said that stuff about me..." Christi shakes her head. "I don't know how you couldn't say something."

"Leave her alone; she's made differently," Paloma defends. Besides, our reactions aren't necessarily the right reaction.

She was still embarrassed about threatening Christi as she did. She could have handled it a lot better.

"That's-that's... it works for you, I guess, you know," Melissa replies.

"You sat there and did not say a word, and Maddie still didn't get a solo this week," Kelly points out.

Melissa slides off the seat. "I'm not saying anything to her about it. That's not anybody else's concern."

"Where are you going?" Jill asks her.

"The store," Melissa replies sharply and walks away.

Sharing a look with Holly, they both stand.

"We'll come with you," Holly says.

The two of them follow Melissa to the store.

"So, what are we looking for?" Paloma asks her.

"Umm..." Melissa looks around the room. "The rhinestones. Abby should have the rhinestones needed for the costumes in here."

"So, what are you going to do about Abby?" Holly asks

Shaking her head, Melissa picks up a string and pulls it apart. "Not gonna do anything, really? I don't know what to do. I mean, I... you know. It's a shame. My whole kid's life is about Miss Abby. And I don't want to hurt Abby's feelings."

Paloma grabs the box of rhinestones. I'm not surprised. Melissa isn't one for confronting people; I mean, she shuts down when Christi yells at her.

"I'm gonna be honest with you. I regret..." Melissa looks up with red rim eyes. "Things. And I... you know, I do, I do."

"Well, like being a part in the car--" Holly plays with her rings, "You regret that?"

Melissa nods. "I do. I wish I took Maddie and Mackenzie into that studio like Paloma took Lux and Nova."

"Abby can turn on anyone at any given time," Holly argues.

Melissa shakes her eyes, crying. "I'm sorry, but I do."

"Melissa..." Paloma sighs. "I didn't stay to get on Abby's good side. I stayed because I didn't think there was anything to gain if Kelly did come back with Brooke and Paige." And there hasn't been. The arguments are worse than ever.

"I should have gone with you," Melissa sniffles. "I wanted to, but I didn't, and now Maddie is suffering."

"Oh, Melissa."

She couldn't argue with that because if Melissa had stayed, Maddie would have had solos after solos instead of going three weeks without one, and Maddie and Mackenzie wouldn't have to listen to Abby disparaging their mom and their home life.

_________________________________________________________

"Kendall, we have something for you," Lux smiles at her fellow brunette.

On signal, Nova holds out a vanilla cupcake covered in sprinkles.

"What is this for?" Kendall grins at them. "It's not my birthday yet."

"No, but it's your first time off the bottom of the pyramid," Nova says like it's obvious. "Lux and I made it for you."

"Aww," Kendall's grin enlarges. She reaches for the cupcake but pauses to look at her Mom. "Can I?"

"It's gluten-free, Jill?" Mamá promises. "I supervised them the whole way."

"Go ahead," Jill grins. "That's so sweet of you two."

Nova shrugs, watching Kendall clearly enjoy her cupcake. Kendall has been through a lot in the previous season, and she deserves a prize for finally moving up the pyramid.

"Girls! Where are you!?"

At Abby's yell, Nova grabs her fedora and jogs over to the studio A door and opens it, allowing everyone in first before entering herself.

"Come on, girls! Let's go! Let's go! Let's go!" Abby rushes them. "Girls, listen up. 'Pink Lemonade' better not be fourth, or third, or second."

This week's routine isn't complicated in the movements or steps, but keeping the fedora on is hard.

"Get that hat. Get it!" Abby yells, pausing rehearsal so Chloe can grab her fedora.

Nova frowns as Chloe scrambles forward to get her fedora. Everybody's Feodora has fallen at least once or twice, even thrice. Are we going to be okay for competition?

At the end of rehearsal, Abby stands with her arms crossed. "Nobody was good. This is turning, leaping, jumping. No one person can be off because when that hats off, you're gonna see it. We're gonna work on the solos now. Nova, you're up first."

Taking off her hat, she lets her hair cascade to her waist. Taking a hair tie from her wrist, she pulls it into a ponytail while catching her breath.

"You ready?" Abby asks once her hair is up. "Let's go."

Nova jogs to the right corner and waits for the music to start. At the first strum of the guitar, she goes on relevé and walks on stage while holding her arms out

Her routine this week is to Florence + The Machine's Dogs Days Are Over, and it's fast.

"Your too slow," Abby chides. "You're missing that leap. You're getting to the chaîné, but you're doing it so slowly that you're missing the leap. Let's try it from the battement."

"Okay," Nova backtraces so she's in the center of the room. She waits for her music to get to the correct spot, and once it does, she does a battement with her right leg before twisting to the floor and sweeping her right leg under for another spin.

Getting up, she takes one step to the right before she goes into a chaîné and pushes off the floor from there.

Did it! She smiles at Abby, waiting for her reply.

"That's it. You get the counts now?"

"Yes. It's one, two, and I was doing one and two."

"Right," Abby nods, smiling at her. "Alright, let's finish this so I can work on the other solos."

Seventeen minutes later, Abby dismisses her for the day, and Nova walks into the den.

"Kendall, Abby wants you," She tells Kendall while walking over to the bench and plopping down.

"Are you okay?" Paige asks her worriedly.

Nova nods, letting out a breath. "It's fast. I think it's the fastest routine I've ever done."

Lux hands her a water bottle, smiling Nova uncaps it. "I'm sorry."

Nova downs half the bottle before shaking her head. "It's okay."

It's not okay. She likes the routine, loves it even because it's so different han anything she's done before. But it also means she's not comfortable in her movements, and she's trying not to get second again. Wanting the attention off herself, she asks, "Chloe did you start on your solo yet?"

Chloe chews on the inside of her lips, shaking her head. "No. I didn't. I don't know when we're gonna get to it."

"I'm sorry," Nova mutters. Here I am, worried about winning when Chloe doesn't even have her solo. "Do you think your Mom will talk to Abby about it?"

"I hope not," Chloe frowns. "If she and Abby argue, Abby might just take my solo, and I really want a solo this week."

"I do, too," Maddie sighs. "I really wish Abby wasn't mad at me anymore. I want everything to go back to normal before the stakeout."

Noticing the frown Paige sends Maddie, Nova winces, knowing Maddie didn't mean anything by it. But if everything goes back to before the stakeout, then Brooke and Paige wouldn't be here.

"But Paige and Brooke were still here," Maddie quickly corrects, realizing what she said. "I just wish Abby was nicer to me."

Again Nova winces. I think Paige, Chloe, Kendall, Brooke, and Nia wish that all the time.

She's a favorite, so she'll never understand what being on Abby's bad side looks like. Even when Mamá argued with Abby more than a year ago, Abby didn't treat them that badly.

Hopefully, this week, they'll win, and Abby's anger will decrease 'cause of it. Hopefully.

_________________________________________________________

"I like this," Christi comments. "This is cool. But I like this-- that right there."

Paloma looks up from the stitch she's sewing in either Lux or Nova's fedora to watch Chloe learn her solo. "Well, she does do dark well."

"Yeah, she does," Christi murmurs.

"This is pretty," Melissa remarks, eyeing Nia's costume.

"You're gonna look gorgeous in it, Señorita Nia," Paloma smiles at Nia, who was up here with them while her Mom works on her costume.

"Thank you," Nia tells her before getting up and leaving when Abby calls her.

"Ha, excuse me," Christi stands, holding up an off-white tattered and yellow ragdoll dress. "Chloe's costume is beautiful."

"Yes, it is," Melissa appeases.

Paloma chuckles. She sounds like she's talking to Mackenzie.

"You did a great job," Jill chimes in.

Sitting, Christi places the dress on her lap. "I'm not done."

"Neither am I. I still have to stone Lux's dress," Paloma sighs. "Who knew stoning a fedora would take so much time?"

"Jill, what are you doing?" Melissa wonders. "Are you not using the costume that the lady made you."

The other day Jill admitted to getting Kendall a costume-made costume behind Abby's back, to Paloma's horror. After everything that's happened, why would Jill do something so stupid?

"Yeah, yeah, she wants green in it, so I'm gonna try and get some green pieces to put in it," Jill explains.

"Did you show her the picture of it?" Melissa asks.

"N... no."

Paloma shakes her head. This is what she gets for trying to get ahead of everyone.

"Jill, I'm confused. You don't have a costume for Kendall, but I thought you had one made," Kelly says.

"I don't have it. That was yesterday," Jill replies.

"Well, what are you working on now?" Kelly asks her.

"Oh, this is a piece for the costume, but I don't have it in my possession."

"And then you're just gonna add those pieces to...?" Kelly clarifies.

"And then I was gonna add this piece," Jill agrees.

"Oh, okay. I was just a little confused."

Again Paloam rolls her eyes, lifting the fedora up to make sure the stitch is perfect. By now, Jill should be smart enough to know you don't do things like this. "Honestly, Jill. You should have just let Abby control the costume like she did the rest of us."

"Well, I didn't," she looks at Paloma with pleading eyes. "Can you do this for me? You're better at this than me."

Paloma deadpans her before saying, "No. Did you not hear me say I'm not done with Lux's costume yet," she sighs at the look Jill gives her. "When I finish Lux's, I'll help you out."

Jill sags in relief. "Thank you."

Glancing back to the studio, Paloma watches as the girls start rehearsing the group routine.

"They're so holding back because of the hat," Kelly observes just as Maddie drops her hat.

"I was thinking the same thing," Holly says. "They can't go all out because they got to hold their heads a certain way so the hats don't fall off."

"Mm-hmm, yeah," Christi agrees. "Chloe was saying that before last night."

"So they're dancing kind of stiff, I think," Holly finishes.

Paloma hums, watching as Nova shifts back so that the fedora stays on.

"Alright, ladies," she jumps, having not heard Abby walk in. "I-I've had it with the hat situation. I don't have 48 more hours to tell each kid a hundred more times how to wear a hat. A hat is very specific to the style of the routine. Put the hat on their head and make sure it's right."

She doesn't give them a chance to reply and leaves.

"Okay," Paloma drawls before turning back to the studio. She has no idea how Abby expected them to make sure the hats don't drop when there, not the ones dancing.

The day goes on with Abby running the solos before running the group routine one more time.

"What's going on? Why does Kendall look like she's about to cry?" Paloma wonders. Kendall went from being okay to glancing up the viewing room with tears in her eye.

"Ahhh! Jill, I don't think she's doing her solo," Christi, their resident lip reader, says. "Something about you not having the costume."

"Then I'm going home," Jill shoots to her feet. "I can have the costume! They told me that they have it! You're idiots if you stay and let this woman destroy your children. You know that. " Leaning forward, Jill grabs her phone and bag. "This Is destruction."

"I said the same thing last season," Kelly remarks.

"Well, why don't we all walk out?" Jill asks before jabbing her finger through the window. "Until she apologizes to these children for treating them like fucking animals," she storms out the room. "I'm not doing it, guys! I'm not doing it!"

Paloma scoffs. If I didn't do it for Kelly, why am I gonna do it for you?

She watches Jill go inside the studio and argue with Abby before taking Kendall out.

By the time it's time get on the bus. Jill and Kendall are on it with them. It's expected, though. After how Abby has treated Chloe, Maddie, and Mackenzie, Paloma is sure she doesn't want that for Kendall.

_________________________________________________________

Nova steps out of the curtains in a white long-sleeve dress with an open back that just reaches under her butt, but luckily it comes with attached briefs.

"Bonito, bonito, bonito, bonito," Mamá grins at her. "You look like an angel."

"An angel that's not gonna get second, hopefully," Nova mutters.

"An angel that's going to do her best and be happy with whatever placement she gets," Mamá chides lightly. "Now come, let me do your hair."

As Mamá is pulling her hair into a bun, Abby enters the dressing room. "I knew something was up when we hadn't seen Cathy in weeks. And now I know what her game is-- she has an all-boys team."

Slowly Nova's eyes widen. "Really? Not fair."

Boys get picked on a lot for dance since it's girly, but if they keep winning, then they won't quit. So judges score them higher.

"Who's ready?" Abby rubs her hands together, pinpointing her soloists. "Chloe, let's go."

Abby plops into her chair and crosses her arm.

She criticizes the five soloists harshly, not helping Nova's nerves at all.

"Now, Nova, you have to put your all into this routine because if you get second to one of those boys..." Abby trails off, standing. "Let's go."

Nova glances over to Mamá, who glares at Abby. Then feeling eyes on her, she smiles at Nova. "You'll be fine, love."

Nodding, Nova grabs Lux's hand and heads backstage with her, along with Chloe, Nia, and Kendall.

The five of them huddle together in a small circle, holding hands.

"Whatever we get, be happy," Kendall says.

"Okay," Nia grees.

"Of course," Lux mutters, giving her a specific look.

Nova shrugs. I really don't want second, though.

"And don't be mad at anyone," Kendall adds.

"I won't," Nova says. She wouldn't be mad at anyone but herself if she got second.

"Up next to in our stage, please welcome number 115. This is Chloe dancing to 'Left in the Dark.'"

Nova is so in her head that she doesn't really pay attention to Chloe's solo and, subsequently, the other solos, even Lux's. She runs the routine over and over in her head until it's time for her to go on.

"Te quiero," Lux hugs her. "You have this. Your amazing, and you're going to dance, like, like an angel."

Giggling, Nova hugs her back. "Gracias."

"This is act number 128; this is Nova with 'Dog Days are Over.'"

Nova takes a deep breath before stepping out of the wings. She purposefully relaxes her muscles. When her music plays, everything becomes a blur. Something she'd antagonist about all week was over in three minutes.

"It was so good," Chloe runs up to her, shaking her shoulder.

"I don't remember any of it," Nova admits. I just remember walking off the stage.

"You don't remember looking at the judges like this?" Nia turns and looks over her shoulder, given what was supposed to be a smoldering look.

"And then she twisted and walked off the stage," Kendall says, giving her a thumbs up. "You were so cool."

Lux places a hand on her forehead. "You really don't remember."

"Bits and pieces," Nova chews the bottom of her lips. She felt assured by the girls' excitement, but still, it's weird that it's a blur when she was just running it in her head a few minutes ago.

When it came time for awards, the five of them sat in front of the stage, holding hands.

"We will now be announcing our top five junior advanced soloists and our Miss or Mr. On Stage America. In fifth palace goes to number 127, 'Owe You Nothin',' Kendall."

"Go, Kendall," Nova claps, squeezing Chloe's hand.

"Third runner-up goes to number 129, 'I'm Gonna Love You Through It,' Skylar. Second runner-up goes to number 119, 'Beautiful Mistakes.'"

Nova claps as Lux stands to join Kendall in the line.

There's only two spots left and three of us, Nova realizes. Shifting over, she holds Nia's hand.

"The first runner up goes to number 128, 'Dog Days her Over.'"

Second again. Nova presses her lips together as she walks up front, accepting her plaque.

"And the winner for Junior Miss On Stage America goes to... drumroll please, number 131-A, 'True Colors.'"

Nova's shoulder sags. Not only did she get second place, but nobody won again.

∽☆✹☆✹☆✹☆✹☆✹☆∽‌

"Great job, girls," Paloma smiles at her girls, hugging them to her side. "I'm proud of you."

"Abby's going to be mad," Lux mutters. "Nobody won."

"And I got second again," Nova adds, hiding her head in Paloma's side.

"I know," Paloma runs her hand through her hair. "But you did well. So did you, Lux.  Both of you did your best out there, and I couldn't be prouder. Okay?"

Reluctantly they both nod. Chuckling, Paloma guides her pouty 11-year-olds over to their vanity. Abby probably won't agree with her, but she thought Lux and Nova were beautiful on stage, and they danced to the best of their ability.

The door clicking behind her as her looking over her shoulder to see Abby entering.

"Well, well, well," Abby sighs, dropping her bag. "I didn't pick five soloists to come here. To put you in the competition for you not to do well. The thing that takes the work, the sweet-- when is the last time you went into a class and actually were dressing with sweat?

"When is the last time your feet were so blistering at the bottom that they were cracked open and bleeding? When was the last time that happened? That's a dancer. And you all know how I get when Cathy shows up. That was an embarrassment."

Paloma shakes her head. "Abby, I'm sure the girls feel just as disappointed as you do?"

Abby focuses on herself and forgets about the little girls that went on stage with their hearts and came out with nothing to show for it.

"They should be!" Abby scowls, pulling her sleeves up. "Think about Cathy beating us. Think about your reputation as the National Champion. Don't embarrass yourself. More importantly... do not embarrass me out there."

Paloma grabs her phone and follows the moms and Abby into the audience when the girls are ready.

She ignores Cathy, who's sitting behind them and sits to watch the group routines.

"Next up, please welcome number 232-A, dancing to 'Own It.'"

Paloma's brow raises. Okay, they're good, but clearly, they haven't been dancing long. Their timing is extremely off. Especially the smaller one. He looks like he's struggling to keep up with the older boys.

"Boom!"

Scowling, Paloma turns over her head to glare at the bald man in blue. "Please don't do that. You just yelled in my ear."

He holds up his hand. "So--"

"Oh please, he wasn't that loud. You're so sensitive," Cathy scoffs. Sighing, Paloma turns back to the front. "What, you're not going to speak to me? How childish?"

Ignoring her, Paloma refuses to speak. She wasn't going to give Cathy ammunition by acknowledging her presence.

"Up next to the stage, please welcome number 215, 'Pink Lemonade.'"

"Whoooo! Go, girls!" Paloma claps as Lux, Maddie, and Nova strut on. "Oh, I love this routine."

The fedoras have been a big issue all week, but it really does add to the routine. Especially when they remove it, and their hair cascades down their back.

"Oh no," Paloma murmurs. After putting the hats back on, Chloe's, of all people, drops. "And she's in front too."

The girls finish the routine with no additional issues, but Paloma is tense. The wrath of Abby is coming, and she doesn't expect Christi to back down.

Returning to the dressing, she plops down on her chair. "Well, that was almost perfect."

"Now my kid's gonna get screamed at," Christi grumbles.

"They're all gonna get screamed at," Jill argues.

"Yeah, no, but she'll pick on Chloe especially," Christi frowns. "I can't stand that I have to sit here and wait for this woman to berate us."

The door clicks open, and Paloma grins as the girls step in. "Great job, girls!"

"Just so you know, Abby's gonna come in here-- it's going to be awful," Christi warns Chloe.

Paloma frowns while hugging Lux and Nova. "Chloe, you did beautifully. Fedora or no fedora, you were great."

Chloe shrugs. "Thank you."

The door clicks open again, and Abby storms in. "Nice job Chloe!" she tosses her bags to the side. "Huh? Nice job."

Instantly Christi gets to her feet. "Let's go. We're leaving. You want Chloe gone? We're gone. You get your way. You can have whoever you..."

Paloma's body freezes. She expected a back-and-forth screaming match, not Christi giving in. She watches as Christi starts to pack her things while Abby throws around insults. This is not the Christi she knows.

"Walks out, falls all over the place with the turns."

"No, she didn't," Christi argues.

"And then drops her hat. Yes, she did!"

"You know what? You go ahead and replace me. I'm leaving," Christi zips up her suitcase. "I'm not gonna make a scene with you."

"Oh, that's the easy way out," Abby remarks snidely. "Right?"

"No, I'm done," Christi stands. "This is not what I signed up for. Humiliation for my daughter."

"I didn't humiliate her!"

"Yes, you did."

"She humiliated herself when she fell out of the turn."

"Abby shut up. Shut up. Stop talking now," pulling her suitcase behind her, with Chloe Christi walks through the doors. "Replace us. That's fine. Come on, Chlo. We're done."

The door slams close behind them.

"I thought beside somebody dropping their hat..." Abby leans on the table. "It was not bad."

"Wow," Paloma murmurs into the silence. Christi-- no matter the arguments with Abby -- has never stormed out before. For her to react like that, clearly, more was going on than Chloe dropping her hat.

"Now awards," Abby rubs her hands together. "No matter what happens, you are going to sit up there and smile like the nice little girls you are. Understood?"

"Yes," the girls chorus.

"Let's go," Abby orders, grabbing her bag and opening the door.

Silently everyone trails out. The girls head for the stage while the moms head for the audience.

"...The next category is junior-advance small group. My second runner-up, number 214, from Art of Gymnastics and Cheer. Separating my runner-up and my winner is one-tenth of a point."

"Of course," Abby throws her hand in the air.

Paloma closes her eyes. If Cathy beats them again by one-tenth of a point, Abby will lose it.

"Number 232-A, 'Own It' from Candy Apples Dance Center. And the junior advanced small group goes to... number 215."

"Whoo!" Abby jumps to her.

"Where do we dance, ladies?" the emcee asks before placing the mic in between the girls.

"Abby Lee Dance company!"

Mouth twisting into a frown, Paloma claps. She was glad they won, but Christi's walkout was pointless. If Abby had realized that Chloe dropping the hat wasn't a big deal, this whole fight wouldn't have happened.

_________________________________________________________

A/N: The show has Kendall getting third, but in the official results from On Stage (as of January 6, 2015), Kendall got 9th, and Chloe got 10th. I guess the results were changed because in the results (as of April 29, 2013), neither of them placed.

It doesn't matter 'cause this is fanfiction, and I can change it to fit my need, but that really made this confusing.

Comments, constructive criticism, and votes are appreciated.

Stay Safe. Stay Healthy. Do What's Right.
#Blacklivesmatter
#StopAsianHate

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.3K 140 27
Hi, I'm Chloe Lukasiak. Well, I am in the story. This is a fan fiction of Chloe Lukasiak from the show Dance Moms! Its all about after she left, and...
91 0 38
Love, power, destiny...watch as performer Cassandra Nova dances through the halls of a world made of concrete, broken promises, memories and dreams.
909 28 25
"Loving someone else that's easy, but loving myself that's the hard part." -------------------------------------- High school is hard enough with sch...
55.5K 1.1K 54
McKinna Maryen Ziegler had lived in the shadows for most of her life, letting her sister have the spotlight. Until an opportunity for a chance to be...