20. Waiting for Joffery

Paloma runs her hand through the cold glass, taking a peek at the diamond earring laid under it.

The piercer, a pretty thing with her hair pulled back to expose the diamond drop earrings, smiles at her before handing her some papers. "Please sign this while I get ready."

"Okay, thank you," taking the paperwork, Paloma looks over it before signing her name on the bottom line. She looks down and smiles at Lux and Nova. "So what do you two think you want?"

"Does it have to be stainless? We can't have diamonds?" Nova pouts.

"No, but you can pick a pair out for when they've healed."

"Okay," Nova smiles.

"I'm nervous," Lux mutters. "Is it going to hurt?"

"A little," Paloma runs her hand through her hair. "It's gonna be a little sting, like a shot."

She laughs at the scrunched up look Lux gives her.

"See, this is why I'm not getting one," Ciaran grins. "No piercing, no pain."

Alaric darts over to them. "Nova, Lux, come here; the ones over there are star and moon-shaped."

"Really!?" Nova gasps before running in the direction he came from.

Lux took a step forward, hesitated, and glanced back at them. "Tú adelántate," Paloma smiles at her. "I'll be there shortly."

Reassured, Lux turns on her heels and runs after Alaric and Nova.

Paloma looks down at her 12-year-old. "Are you sure you don't want one?"

"Nope," he answers promptly, chest out. "Why does anybody want a needle to go through their ear. No. Not for me."

Paloma chuckles at him. With all the drama at the studio, moments like this are what she lives for.

Just spending a few hours with her family rejuvenates her and gives her strength to deal with the following week.

She places a hand on his shoulder. "Okay, then let's talk about your birthday. In My baby is turning thirteen!"

"¡Mamá! ¡Por favor! Not in public!" he groans, trying to escape her hold. But the smile on his face told her he didn't mind as much as he complaining.

Amused, she reaches out and pinches before letting him go. For some strange reason, she had a good feeling about this week.
________________________________________________________________________________

"So, did everyone have a good time in Chicago?" Abby asks the nine children and five adults standing before her.

"Yes," Nova smiles. Chicago was great, at least for her. The group might not have got first place, but she got first in her duet with Lux, which always felt good.

"All right, now let's talk about or group dance. I thought it was beautiful. I thought the costume looked gorgeous on everybody. I gave everybody a challenge with acting. You all did it. Now, Maddie, you did a solo this week; I know that there were some boys you were worried about. But you beat them. You can't psych yourself out backstage. Understood?"

"Yes," Maddie nods.

"Nia, I watched the trio, and I watched you closely. I feel that you were a beat behind. It's the difficult technical things that you have trouble with. That's what you need to keep working on. Understood?"

Nia also nods. "Yes."

"We have a lot to do. I'm gonna get right to the pyramid. At the bottom of the pyramid... Chloe."