𝐄𝐑𝐔𝐃𝐈𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍

By mafiawhore

Promising student and avid reader, Zahra Calimeris, attends a book club where she meets Romero Vitale; A jud... More

A/N
Character Aesthetics
00 | English Erudition
01 | Doting Erudition
02 | Bookish Erudition
03 | Stalking Erudition
04 | Playful Erudition
05 | Lonely Erudition
07 | Sweet Erudition
08 | Anxious Erudition
09 | Consoling Erudition
10 | Bittersweet Erudition
11 | Fostering Erudition
12 | Franken Erudition
13 | Ambrosial Erudition

06 | Fortelling Erudition

16.7K 316 48
By mafiawhore

"UGH, THIS HEAT is unbearable," I muttered to
myself as I shifted from foot to foot in the slow-moving line at the coffee shop.

It was early afternoon and the burning sun and hot air were clinging to my bare legs, leaving my skin feeling uncomfortable and sticky. The only respite came from the small blast of air conditioning at the entrance.

The weather was unusually warm for an autumn day. However, it gave me the chance to dress up in my favourite purple sundress and the chance to appreciate the golden glow that kissed the shop's charming interior.

The coffee shop felt cosy with its rustic-looking wooden tables and matching chairs. The walls were lined with dark brick and the counters and shelves were adorned with black accents, adding a touch of elegance.

As I observed the only two baristas manoeuvring through a sea of cups and working tirelessly to fulfil the flood of orders, I couldn't help but feel a pang of sympathy. The overwhelming demand for cold drinks was likely a result of the scorching heat outside, and it was clear that the baristas were doing their best to keep up with the rush.

"What can I get for you, today?" I was greeted when I finally reached the counter.

"Three bottles of water, please," I said to the blonde woman working the cash register. "And could I also get one of those muffins?" I pointed to the display case, my mouth nearly watering at the sight of all the freshly baked goodies.

The woman nodded, punching in my order before ringing me up with a tired smile.

Balancing the water and muffin in one hand, I stuffed the bottles into my bag and made my way out of the shop.

I smiled warmly at the old man, who had been keeping an eye on Atlas for me while I popped into the coffee shop.

"Thank you so much for watching over Atlas," I said gratefully. The cute, fluffy dog wagged his tail excitedly at the sound of his name.

"Here you go," I said, handing one of the bottles to the old man who had been watching over Atlas. "The barista gave me an extra one, and I thought you might like it." I smiled, pretending that I had received it by mistake, but really I wanted to do something nice for the kind stranger

"Do you fancy a game with fate?" He waggled his grey eyebrows in a playful manner.

"Sure," I grinned in amusement.

The old man rummaged through the pockets of his oversized coat, finally producing a pack of cards.

How could he be wearing such a big coat in this heat?

"Tarot cards," I acknowledged.

Nodding, the old man shuffled the deck expertly, his wrinkled hands surprisingly nimble. "Allow me to reveal the secrets of your past, present and future, my dear," he said with a twinkle in his eye.

I pulled five cards from the deck as he instructed and placed them on the bench in front of us. Left to right, the old man began to examine each one, revealing their meanings and significance to my life.

"The first one represents your past," he said as he flipped over the first card, revealing the Five of Cups. "This represents the emotional baggage of someone who has experienced great loss and grief, but has come far to move forward and endure."

The second card, the Star, was revealed next. "This card represents the present," the man continued his reading. "You have entered a stage in your life that promises renewed hope and inspiration, a brighter future awaits you."

The third card, the Lovers, was placed with reverence by the man. "Ah, my favourite card," he said with warmth. "It represents your future. It foretells the beginning of a new journey, one that might be filled with love. Somebody is going to become a significant part of your life and you will have a strong connection that you may not understand at first. This card prompts you to be open to new opportunities and ideas that are presented to you, even if they conflict with your own sense of logic and reasoning."

The fourth card, The Tower, garnered a thoughtful expression from the man. "This card symbolizes a sudden change. Perhaps a mysterious man who has recently come into your life. It speaks of secrets, upheaval and caution, a warning that things may not always be as they initially appear."

"Finally," he started." The last card, The High Priestess, represents you. This card tells me of your mystery, intuition, and passive feminine energy. It serves as a reminder to trust your instincts and to be patient as you navigate through life if you wish to uncover truths untold."

As I listened to the old man's words, my mind clung to his every syllable. His reading of my past was eerily accurate and brought a sense of clarity to some of the emotions I had been feeling but couldn't quite understand.

I felt an overwhelming gratitude towards this stranger, who seemed to understand me better than I understood myself. I wished I could express to him just how much his insights meant to me. My appreciation for his wisdom felt boundless in that moment.

"How much do I owe you," I asked, my voice shaking with emotion. I moved to grab my purse before I started crying in the middle of the street.

"For what?" he questioned.

"The reading."

"Nothing," He refused, waving me off "Your company itself is the most valuable payment."

"Oh," I replied, taken aback by his generosity. "That's very kind of you"

"Take care, my dear," the old man said with a warm smile.

"And you as well," I replied, returning his smile.

❀ ❀ ❀

In the soft winds of the woodland, the ruffles of my dress danced in sync with the waving trees.

The tired steps creak under my weight as I followed an eager Atlas down through overgrown branch arches into an abandoned field of tall grass and prismatic crowds of  flowers.

I set the blanket on a patch of shaded grass and placed my bag on top of it before settling myself down and pulling out my box of chocolate strawberries that were most likely already melted from the heat.

Laying with my book opened to its last read page, I popped a strawberry in my mouth. As its sweetness filled my senses, a butterfly landed on the open page to briefly rest its cerulean wings.

I studied the delicate morpho butterfly, admiring the intricate designs of the iridescent scales. The name was fitting as its beauty was deserving of existing as an epithet of Aphrodite.

The peaceful creature flew away as Atlas buried his head into the curve of my arm and my eyes returned to the writing allowing me to drown myself in the words of another world.

Hours passed in calm silence with my hand alternating between turning the pages and stroking behind Atlas' ear.

The lilac sky had turned dark, unveiling a glowing blue plethora of moon-touched iris that surrounded the secluded field.

Sighing into the empty night, I snapped my book shut and summoned the strength to pull my body into a sitting position. I packed everything away whilst Atlas sat watching me, patiently waiting for me to put his leash on and walk him back to the shelter.

❀ ❀ ❀

Ready to jump straight into bed, I walked into my apartment, halting when I saw a small white envelope laying on the floor, which must have been posted in my absence.

As I bent down to retrieve the letter, my breath caught in my throat at the sight of my name in a familiar and distinct masculine scrawl.

With gentle fingers, I eased open the envelope, careful not to rip it, and discovered a note on some kind of fancy paper that read-

Miss Calimeris,

Join me in my Library on Saturday.

RV

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 78.9K 33
**THIS IS THE NEW COMPLETED VERSION OF CAMPUS CRUSH. GO TO MY PROFILE TO READ THE OLD VERSION** BOOK ONE in Campus Series Casper Niely is a shy bookw...
82.9K 3K 31
"I need you, Zee. I can handle my family casting me out for choosing you. I can handle falling behind on Gregor's book review coming up. I can even...
112K 3.9K 61
1 party girl 1 bodyguard 1 teacher's pet 1 grumpy tutor 1 sunshine girl 1 fuckboy 1 mean girl 1 loner boy What started off as an exciting start to co...
112K 2.8K 37
When a teacher starts at a new school she is devoted to help her students. She's the caring type but still lives a partying life. Helping one of her...