STEALTH and TRACK: BOOK ONE

By AbiGrace24601

Order 66 has been initiated...And yet, the Bad Batch, besides Crosshair, are excluded from the ruthless act... More

C H A P T E R O N E
C H A P T E R T W O
C H A P T E R T H R E E
C H A P T E R F O U R
C H A P T E R F I V E
C H A P T E R S I X
C H A P T E R S E V E N
C H A P T E R E I G H T
C H A P T E R N I N E
C H A P T E R T E N
C H A P T E R E L E V E N
C H A P T E R T W E L V E
C H A P T E R T H I R T E E N
C H A P T E R F O U R T E E N
C H A P T E R F I F T E E N
C H A P T E R S I X T E E N
C H A P T E R S E V E N T E E N
C H A P T E R E I G H T E E N
C H A P T E R N I N E T E E N
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-O N E
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-T W O
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-T H R E E
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-F O U R
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-F I V E
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-S I X
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-S E V E N
A U T H O R'S N O T E
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-E I G H T
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-N I N E
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-O N E
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-T W O
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-T H R E E
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-F O U R
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-F I V E
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-S I X
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-S E V E N
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-E I G H T
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-N I N E
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-O N E
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-T W O
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-T H R E E
A U T H O R'S N O T E
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-F O U R
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-F I V E
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-S I X
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-S E V E N
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-E I G H T
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-N I N E
C H A P T E R F I F T Y
C H A P T E R F I F T Y-O N E
C H A P T E R F I F T Y-T W O
A U T H O R'S N O T E
BONUS CHAPTER ONE: Alternate Ending
BONUS CHAPTER 2: Alternate Ending
BONUS CHAPTER THREE: Alternate Ending
BONUS CHAPTER FOUR: Alternate Ending
BONUS CHAPTER FIVE: Echo and Fern
BONUS CHAPTER SIX: Fern's Dreams
BONUS CHAPTER SEVEN: Fern and Wrecker
BONUS CHAPTER EIGHT: Crosshair's Afterword
AUTHOR'S NOTE!!!!!

C H A P T E R F O R T Y

2.2K 77 46
By AbiGrace24601

HUNTER'S POV

Wrecker and I finished loading the last of the shipment crates onto the Marauder with no interference from the Empire or the patrol. Meanwhile, inside the main cabin, Omega had perched herself on top of our Gonk droid with her legs crossed and her hands buried in her lap. The three of us were still on Nevarro, working proficiently so that we could travel to our next destination of delivery, and then pick up Fern, Tech, and Echo on Iego.

While Wrecker received the coordinates for the delivery, I boarded the ship to prep for departure. At the corner of my eye, I noticed Omega was attempting to braid her cropped blonde hair like Fern does, and I shook my head, amused. "Your hair's too short." I told her as I veered away from the cockpit . "You'll have to grow it out if you want to braid it."

"I know," the young girl sighed, dropping her arms in disappointment. "Fern's braid always looks so pretty; she makes it look perfect every time."

"That wasn't always the case." I chuckled to myself. "Back when she and I were partners, she couldn't braid her own hair to save her life. So, I had to do it."

"Fern taught you, too?"

"No," I shrugged, parking myself beside her. Sitting tall upon our droid, her eyes were leveled with mine. "Part of being a soldier is knowing how to produce your own supplies, including rope, which you have to braid in order to make it thick and strong. You can use the same technique on hair."

"Oooh," Omega nodded, and then she changed the subject. "Do you think she, Tech, and Echo are okay? Tech did say that the Empire was present there, even though it's low security. And Fern is still injured..."

"Those three can handle themselves." I assured, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Especially, Fern. She's been on her own for years. She can accomplish anything she puts her mind to. You know that."

"Yeah," She bobbed her head again, but her head still hung low. "Aren't you just a tad worried about her, though?"

I sighed in surrender. "Yeah, kid, I'm a little worried, but I have full faith in Fern because—"

"Because you like her?"

I blinked. Twice. So did Omega. "Well, don't you?" She tilted her head. Her eyes shone with innocent curiosity.

"Are you asking? Or clarifying?" I questioned, leaning against the droid with my arms crossed. My elbow gently pressed into her kneecap. The young clone pondered for a moment, her chin dipped slightly. As I watched her, I wondered myself what Fern meant to me...

"I've been thinking lately," she finally spoke. "Our squad...is like a family." She perked up with credence. "Echo is like a overly-protective, big brother. Tech and Wrecker are my weird, but fun uncles. And you and Fern are my parents." Before I could interject to that presumption, she carried on. "Fern told me all about parents. What they are and their purpose in life. I know you two aren't actual parents...but the way she described them to me... That's how I see you and her. I know you all care for me in different ways, but when I see you and Fern together, I have always thought there was something...special?" She slurred the last word, like she was unsure it was the right one. She then shrugged casually. "Anywho, Fern said, 'Parents love their children with all their hearts. No matter what, you could always count on your mother and father to come to your aid and hold you tightly in their arms when you're scared.' I've noticed...that's exactly what you and Fern do for me."

At some point, I had rotated my body towards her while she digressed. I stood there, stunned and silent.

"...H-hunter?" the young clone blinked when she finally realized I was staring, and averted her eyes nervously, as if she was afraid she had said something wrong.

"Is that how you truly see us, Omega?" I asked softly, beckoning her attention. Omega's round, brown orbs shimmered while she smiled and placed a small hand on my shoulder. When she nodded, the corners of my mouth pulled.

"Then...that's how it is."

———————————————————————

FERN'S POV

"So, wait, you knew about the possibility of Hunter and I..." I arched my brow at Tech as we scrolled along the cavern creek, the soft, pebbled ground sank like mush underneath our boots.

"Well, it was obvious from the beginning, Fern." Tech stated calmly. "My suspicions began years ago, when Nala Se first misled Hunter to believe you were not interested in joining Clone Force 99, and vice versa when Lama Su deceived you. My deduction was your close relationship with Hunter interfered with the Kaminoans' initial intentions of your partnership. Fundamentally, they did not consider the possibility of your mutual sensitivity towards one another."

"Wait, wait, wait," I waved my hand and narrowed my eyes at his theory. "Because Hunter and I were close..." I sounded out my cogitation one phrase at a time. "that threatened the Kaminoans. Because..."

"Fern, do you know why no more female defective clones were created?" Tech inquired.

"I'm, not sure." He stumped me. In fact, I had never even considered the question.

"They were, most likely, testing the very hypothesis you had asked yourself." Tech induced. "Whether or not clones could form attachments to one another. We know we have the capability of reproduction— Cut and Suu on Saleucami are a prime example as such— however, the Kaminoans are not aware of them. They only see you and Hunter. Essentially, your partnership was an experiment."

"Why does that all make sense?" I breathed, appalled. My eyes nearly bulged out of my skull at the revelation. "Are you saying that I, the sole female clone, was created for the purpose of not only enhanced stealth and agility, but also to assess if clones could fall...in love?"

"Yes," the intellectual clone nodded. "that would seem to be the verdict."

"I can't -- scoff -- I don't know if I should be angry or not." My face heated up like I was upset, but another part of me urged my conflicted mind to just accept it. "So if Hunter and I never grew close when we were partners, I would have never been separated from him when Clone Force 99 was formed. I would have been part of the squad from the very beginning..."

"We would have been lucky to have you." Tech nodded. I smiled up at him, knowing he could probably see it with his night vision. Playfully punching him in the arm, I laughed, "I would've been the lucky one." 

We walked the next fifty yards in complacent silence until we both caught sight of a dim brightness pulsating through an egress up ahead. 

"There," he pointed. "That is our way out."

"Ha! I see it!" I grew so elated, I couldn't resist slipping my arms under his and embracing my friend tightly. "We did it, Wired-Brain!" After I released him, I snatched his gloved hand and pulled him along. "Let's go! We got to find Echo! He's probably worried sick about us."

And by the Force, was he. The tunnel we found led us straight to the surface of the canyon. It took what seemed like days to climb all the way to the top, but Tech and I supported each other every step of the way. Since he was the one equipped with night vision, he guided me one foot after another and coaxed with patience. I repaid his act of service with temporarily refraining from teasing nicknames and snarky quips. Once we finally emerged, we were greeted by one of the most illuminated night-skies I've ever seen... I hugged Tech again. I had felt his hand begin to slowly press into my back when I heard a familiar, low voice sound to my right.

"Tech? Fern?" 

Both Tech and I turned our heads to find none other than the third member of our party. Echo gasped in relief, tossed his helmet and pack aside, and sprinted over to us. Overcome with joy, I did the same, met him halfway, and crashed into him, wrapping my arms around him. His own squeezed me in our embrace, even with his makeshift droid arm.

"I thought I lost you both." Echo panted. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

"We almost were. We're both fine, Echo. Just fine." I breathed in his ear before releasing him. I touched his face gently, clearly presuming that he'd been a nervous wreck for some time. "Have you been searching for us this whole time?"

"Of course, I have." the cyborg clone exclaimed, as if it was obvious. "I reached the peak where we were supposed to go and walked down to the canyon floor, hoping I would find a cave opening in the rock wall. I didn't...but I did find this." He retrieved his pack, flipped the flap open, and pulled out a thick, twisted root.

"Reeksa root." I gasped. "You completed the mission."

"Well done, Echo." Tech said, finally catching up. "Since we are all together, we can head back into town and await the others' return."

"Couldn't agree more." Echo nodded.

It took us an hour or so to arrive at the port. The large, orange sun began to rise.  We stopped by the parlor where the young man, Jaybo, greeted us with a salute and drinks on the house. The three of us then gathered around a table with smiles all around. In a silent, united moment, we raised our glasses and clinked them.

"Cheers, boys."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34K 1.1K 37
"General Windu assigned a Jedi to us for this mission," Hunter stated. "Oh, how fabulous." Crosshair grumbled. "Do we know anything about this Jedi?"...
64.5K 2.3K 96
Survivor. Outcast. Fugitive. Astera Lyell barely escaped Order 66 with her life. Now she's on the run, looking desperately for someplace to lay low...
2.5K 97 18
(This is my first story I hope you like it❤️) The Bad Batch finds a knocked out female human. She has no memory of who she use to be. She joins the B...
The Shadow By Liz

Fanfiction

5K 260 19
"She's one clone, she can't be that much trouble." The recruit said harshly, and Crosshair pinned him with a stern look. "I trained her. Wherever yo...