Ink Lines

Par ShenWeiLightning

It's been thirteen years since Lan Zhan was last in a room with Wei Wuxian, but its been five minutes since h... Plus

Chapter 1. Present Day
Chapter 2. One Year Ago - Caiyi City
Chapter 3. One Year Ago - Jiang Yanli
Chapter 4. One Year Ago - Found
Chapter 5. One Year Ago - August into September
Chapter 6. Reasons
Chapter 7. October Meetings - 9 Months Ago
Chapter 8. November Tea - 8 Months Ago
Chapter 9. January- Fierce Little Tiger
Chapter 10. Five Months Ago -February
Chapter 11. Five Months Ago- February P2
Chapter 12. Five Months Ago - February P3
Chapter 13. Four Months Ago - March
Chapter 15. Three Months Ago-April
Chapter16. Three Months Ago - April
Chapter 17. Three Months Ago - April
Chapter 18. Two Months Ago - Early May
Chapter 19. One Month Ago. June
Chapter 20. June - Brothers
Chapter 21. June: Force of Nature
Chapter 22. June: Nie Sect
Chapter 23. June: Feels Like A Dream
Chapter 24. Wen Qing
Chapter 25. June: Grey Eyes
Chapter 26. Your Edges Are A Mirror of Mine
Chapter 27. June. Let's Start A War
Chapter 28 Nie Sect Upending
Chapter 29. Lotus flowers
Chapter 30. Crashing Down - Meet Me There
Chapter 31 June: Foxfire
Chapter 32 Jiang Cheng
Chapter 33
Chapter 34 June: Murder
Chapter 35: Plan ahead

Chapter 14. Three Months ago- Beginning of April

168 23 6
Par ShenWeiLightning

Back with another chapter!

----------------------------

Wei Ying was going to be a guest speaker during the lectures.

Well technically, the Lan Sect had invited him to give a lecture on technology to the Lan Sect Seniors, not to the guest students or the Juniors. And they had made it seem as though, the Lan were trying to fulfill their foreign disciples quota all in the same month.

The Juniors were excited to simply see Wei Ying, which pleased Lan Zhan greatly. Regardless of what the more conservative said, Wei Ying was a hero in the modern cultivation world and considered rightly, one of the greatest innovators of the century.

His textbook on talismans was going to be added to the curriculum soon and this was a good opportunity for a live demonstration of the simpler forms and his new determination system that ranked evil far more effectively.

And if Lan Zhan could have a signed copy, he was going be elated.

It says something about fear and the tangible grip of memory, of trepidation that hangs in the air like sour pollution, filtering into every crevice of the Cloud Recesses, that neither Uncle nor Wei Ying himself is willing to completely address their dislike of each other.

One was a proponent of technology, of new techniques and adapting cultivation practices to suit the modern world. Who developed new determination levels for Night Hunts and a better understanding of resentful energies. Who invented talismans their ancestors would have given anything to possess, who pushed boundaries like shoving open doors.

The other was steeped in tradition and secrets. Guarding their heritage with an iron will and dogged determination. A proponent of never trusting technology, of keeping life and cultivation simple and pure. Of isolation and seclusion, of duty and maintaining a tightly knitted family culture.

They had clashed thirteen years ago and neither had a good word to say about the other. Neither really pretended to have respect for the other either, but in fairness Wei Ying was far kinder about Lan Qiren than Uncle was about Wei Wuxian.

The very idea of the Wen Sect returning here in Gusu though, that was enough to unify Lan Qiren and Wei Ying faster and more securely than anything else.

Because Uncle if he had known, or had been close enough would have stood with Jiang Fengmian that day. Would have searched for the Jiang siblings if he hadn't been in hospital himself for a cardiac check-up.

He doubted Wei Ying would believe that, but it didn't stop him offering aid to the Lan Sect now. It hadn't stopped him talking Jiang Cheng into this clever idea or from putting Furong a little more into the hot seat.

It hadn't stopped Uncle from browbeating the more archaic of the Elders into agreeing.

Because right now, Gusu is not ready for an attack.

Lan Zhan has had plans in place for seven years. Lan Xichen ensures they do drills and maintain vigilance, the stains and scars never leaving their Sect, which has grown again into a large community.

They have evacuation plans now and alarms systems but fear persists. They have trained Seniors on their roles should an attack happen, listing who will take the Juniors to safety, who will empty the medical wards if necessary, who will guide the Elders and their families to safety. Who will stand until their last to defend the Cloud Recesses and how Caiyi SCD fits in with this.

The Twin Jades have spent hours staring at maps, calculating distances and potential routes, secret openings, caves in the mountains, the pathways that would be more hidden at least.

It was a way to express grief and rebuild a sense of safety. A process of accepting they cannot change what happened, but can better protect the future. Their hopes that they would never need any of these desperate plans, shattered like glass when the Wen Sect made their announcement.

But as Uncle brutally phrased it to the Elders, a meeting where both Twin Jades were in session as Leader and Second, "The Jiang Sect thought they were ready too."

Lan Zhan had looked up from the plan review documents he and Lan Xichen had been looking at, to stare at his Uncle, staggered a little by the power of his own reaction. The Jiang family heads had been murdered, Wei Ying and his siblings had nearly died! It was too sudden, too recent, too raw to just mention like it was fact from a century ago.

Standing in the middle of Gusu, seeing what used to be here and counting who used to be among them, had his confidence wavering. Brother was desperate and equally desperate to hide it, to project the calm serenity that was expected of him.

All that changed when Jiang Yanli had contacted Brother with a proposal. She would send Wei Ying to them as a guest speaker, but his primary purpose for the visit was to install the measures that Fuong had been working on. The tri-layer shield that could be altered to suit GusuLan requirements. The anti-burning talismans and hidden alarm system.

Just having Wei Ying during this time felt like salvation. He was never afraid when Wei Ying was nearby. The spiraling thoughts, grief and frantic stocktaking screeching to a halt with just a few texted words.  That commanding presence even on a vid call, that clever thinking and the well of faith that he had in Wei Ying was enough to allow him to breathe through his most instinctual reactions. 

Wei Ying would come with another person in two days for the more detailed proposal to the Sect and if he had their agreement, he would install the entire thing before the Wen Sect arrived. By staying the week, Wei Ying would also be able to disengage the system should the Lan Sect choose that option, when they had gone.

The Elders had eventually agreed. Measures had to be taken to preserve lives and the Lan Sect was not trapped into permanently living with many of these measures. They all knew that the threat was real, that Wen Chao had attacked Lotus Pier, that Wen Xu had burned Gusu for his father Wen Ruohan and had threatened Lan Xichen before it had happened.

A measure of pretend calm settled over the Cloud Recesses like heavy skies, but there was hope and confidence that it would be alright.

All they needed was Wei Ying. All he needed to get through this was Wei Ying.

Two days before Wei Ying was due to arrive, Lan Zhan found himself restless with worries he had little control over. He had solved the remaining cases they were working on at SCD, so he took the emergency leave for ten days as planned, leaving him stranded in Caiyi until he moved back to Gusu for the lectures tomorrow morning.

He had nothing to do but work against the Wen Sect, review cold cases and worry incessantly.

Wei Ying was the only possible distraction but he had work to organize in order to make the sudden trip to Gusu, sidelining projects temporarily and in his words, 'find a nice disciple to dump my duties on for a week.' Lan Zhan already felt that he owed Wei Ying the world for doing this, for coming here to Gusu for what might be a panic response, as they had no proof they were going to attempt anything.

Not that Wei Ying agreed.

Wei Ying: If they are coming for a reconnaissance mission and see the defenses, we can prevent an attack in the first place Lan Zhan.

Wei Ying: If they are just trying screw with your minds, you can move on and some kids might learn something.

Wei Ying: Plus it will be nice to see Gusu again. 

Lan Zhan hoped that was true, but doubted it.

Wei Ying: And it will be great to spend some time with you Lan Zhan!

That one had his traitorous heart in his throat and a lovely warmth spreading through his body, his very soul rejoicing in the idea that Wei Ying wanted to see him.

Wei Ying: After all the trouble I caused back then too! 

Wei Ying: And I promised A-Yuan I would bring back pictures of your rabbits! Don't make this baba a liar!

He would be calling after eight thirty and it was only three pm, so as a distraction Lan Zhan was sitting on the sofa watching one of Wei Ying's older tutorial videos. This time on sketching and painting in the field. Or rather on the shores of the river in Yunmeng city.

Wei Ying's hair was short and Lan Zhan let the familiar words wash over him while admiring how beautiful Wei Ying's neck truly was in soft summer light, when Lan Xichen opened the front door to their apartment.

He wasn't expecting Brother and nearly stood up in alarm, but Xichen waved a hand and smiled gently. "Its alright A-Zhan. Everything is in place."

Relieved he retook his seat and paused the video on the laptop, switching it back to his word document. Brother took off his coat and shoes, but in the quiet pause Lan Zhan didn't ask. Pointedly did not ask.

Xichen was wearing a dark blue long sleeved top over his uniform pants. The plain one that Lan Zhan bought him years ago, that shrunk in the wash with the too-short sleeves and overly stretched length. The comfortable one for nights when no one was going to ask for his presence.

A note of concern bled into Lan Zhan's awareness as he watched Xichen calmly shedding Shuoyue and his sect tokens at the door. An outfit for home in the Hanshi. One chosen specifically for comfort. Something his brother only did was he was upset or exhausted.

And he didn't look exhausted. He looked tense and there was a terrifying air of vulnerability around him. He must have returned home, changed out of the upper part of their uniform and then taken his sword to fly to Caiyi.

Brother needed no excuse to come to his second home, any more than Lan Zhan did. It was a surprise considering everything going on, but it was possible Brother needed a distraction himself. There were plenty of things to be upset about. "I needed to come by A-Zhan, I hope I'm not interrupting?" Brother said from the fridge, causally.

As if pretending that it was a normal night was going to work, as if using the 'what would you like for dinner'  tone was going to cover up such a strange question? But it was the reason behind this pretense that was interesting Lan Zhan, enough to lift his eyes again to stare at his older brother's long back.

"This is your home too." Lan Zhan said letting the inflections in his tone speak of his confusion.

The long back slumped a little, enough to worry Lan Zhan before Xichen shut the fridge door. "I need to tell you a few things A-Zhan. Without anyone else listening." Lan Xichen said softly, sinking down onto the sofa beside him, handing him a glass of lychee juice. 

Siblings often have an innate ability to read between the lines, strung out like the threads that bind them together, able to find context in actions that make no sense to anyone else. Enemies or friends, this bond of shared family and a lifetime of knowing each other, exists anyway.

Theirs was a quiet childhood, of actions small and everyday to show affection and support. They learned to read each other in silence, not stifling but alive with non-verbal communication. So when they did speak, their words hold layers of subtext, hints and cues no one else understands.

Brother looked calm and at ease on the surface, but to Lan Zhan he was clearly telegraphing worry, stress and nerves bundled and strangled into submission. The glass of juice might well have been tea or a pencil, a book. Some object that could innocently act as a signal that Xichen wanted to talk about something uncomfortable.

"Brother," Lan Zhan said in reply, easily conveying that Xichen could tell him anything, earning a genuine smile from his elder brother.

Brother sighed softly, an expression of emotion and tiredness that had taken them around twenty years to reach. For the longest time, Brother would show him nothing but calm understanding, an older brother's boundless love and an encouraging expression. Nothing that spoke of negativity, pain or difficulty. This was a set of scars that had few visible signs and must have placed a heavy burden to be always positive on a pair of too-young shoulders, when Xichen had suffered just as much.

As a younger brother, this was at times incredibly reassuring and worrying. It was not just that Xichen felt he couldn't be himself, a feat he managed with Nie Mingjue...but that Lan Zhan could see the strain and the hurt, but without communication, had no chance of easing it. Words did not come easily to either of them, neither did seeking conflict with each other.

Better to never hurt, than ever speak. 

What do you say to someone who believes they have to be perfect, to be loved? Be a perfect older brother worth keeping, when Lan Zhan loved him exactly as he was? Mother had tried endlessly to undo that thinking, that conditioning...gathering both of her sons to her, showering them with affection and pride, in all defiance of the Lan rules. It had helped. It had reshaped them to a degree, shown them both that emotions were not the enemy.

Proving that having negative emotions, bad days and moments of doubt did not make Xichen a failure of an elder brother, took longer.

It had been born out of the many attempted reconciliations between Nie Huaisang and Nie Mingjue. A realization for Xichen that things were not 'wrong' between the Twin Jades, but that there were communication problems.

So, because this was new and Lan Zhan was trying with Mother's help to strengthen this bridge between the Twin Jades, he resisted the urge to turn to face his brother fully. To stand at attention as Mother had put it when he accepted the glass and the signal.

Mother could encourage Xichen and ease into conversation as easily as breathing. Jiang Yanli could do the same with just about anyone. Not something he was capable of doing. So, instead he copied Wei Ying.

If there was a good role model out there, Wei Ying was it. He could relax anyone he wasn't trying to rile, offer comfort and advice as smoothly as a water flowed off a swan's back.

Wei Ying, he knew bodily relaxed when he was conveying sympathy. He made sure there was nothing aggressive in his posture. So Lan Zhan swallowed his own discomfort, remained where he was, quietly drank the offered juice and said, "I am here."

Xichen gave him a shy, grateful look that would never appear with anyone else and Lan Zhan wondered if Nie Huaisang had broken up with him or worst yet, had cheated on him...

No...he would be gutted Lan Zhan knew, and this conversation would already have begun or have taken place in the bathroom on the floor, or else he would be sitting on Lan Zhan's bed his eyes red and puffy. He looked...strained not heartbroken.

They were finding their feet together, another step in their relationship as brothers and they were building something stronger. Lan Zhan reminded himself.

"You are my Second and didi. I trust you more than anyone. You know this." Lan Xichen said staring at his hands. "Master Wei is coming to Gusu...and there things we must share...a burden I must share."

Ah.

When asked, Wei Ying had said that to get someone to open up, sometimes you have to just listen. His need to defend Wei Ying was strong, but equally he needed to know where Xichen stood in this. Where his final decision lay. "I will help carry any burden." Was all he said, softly and without judgement.

Xichen glanced at him, always able to see through him.

"Before, we get into anything further, I will tell you didi, that I hold nothing against Wei Wuxian." Lan Xichen said calmly, "But there are problems in this, that will affect him."

And you was the silent addition to that sentence.

"I am here." He repeated. I will listen without reserve or judgement.

Xichen nodded, clearly trying not to use his patented gentle smile to break any tension. "I have come to decision, not an easy one, but one that has moral implications and potential consequences for our sect. I am sure you have heard all of the rumors and the slander, against the Jiang?"

A tight nod was enough to get Xichen to continue, "But there is a great deal more to it than that." He took a breath, "The Jin Sect are not looking for answers, or to protect their Sect Heir as Jin Guangshan is claiming. I believe that they are actively  trying to ruin the Jiang on behalf of the Wen."

Lan Zhan knew this. Knew that the Jin were tied somehow together with the Wen and from that disastrous meeting with Jin Guangshan, it had been clear that the Jin were after the Jiang siblings specifically. Not for any righteous reasons either.  There was no proof and that was the problem. But for Lan Xichen, this was a leap. An accusation with no obvious proof, something that was against the tenets of GusuLan.

"Mother." Lan Zhan said in a hollow tone.

Xichen nodded gravely, "Yes. As they did with Mother,  they are damaging their reputation and claim to have evidence of wrongdoing."

Suppressing all thoughts and reactions, Lan Zhan waited.

It didn't take long. Xichen seemed to take some cue from Lan Zhan and settled back against the sofa cushions to explain, "Jiang Fengmian inherited a sect that was hemorrhaging debt. His parents were dead and his grandfather had suffered a qi deviation, giving him an altered state of mind."

Lan Zhan was not sure where this was going, but he waited. Xichen never imparted information he didn't believe was relevant, so this did have a point.

Xichen's mouth grimaced fractionally. "In that mind frame he plunged the Jiang into debt, while swelling their numbers. Jiang Fengmian married Madam Yu and putting their personal intentions aside, she did assist him in reducing the debt. Then he began Furong Technologies. A venture that would have been difficult with their financial situation."

"Jiang Fengmian always maintained that it was his wife's inheritance that he used as capital and bank loans to support all other early pre-profits costs."

"The Jin Sect are claiming this is a lie?' Lan Zhan asked, knowing the answer.

Xichen nodded quickly, folding his hands. "They are claiming he took unsavory loans to begin Furong. Money from organized crime or from a loan shark or a corrupt deal."

Accusing the Jiang of being the Wen in other words.

"However it began A-Zhan, I cannot believe that Jiang Yanli is running a corrupt business. We saw the methods and lengths Jin Guangshan was willing to go, to 'find evidence' or more likely to plant evidence against the Jiang."

Ah so Brother did suspect that was the plan also. He asked instead, "Why so desperate?" because that was a big question with no clear answer. Was it just the debt he supposedly had with the Wen? Fear for Wen Xu's reaction if he said no? Blackmail? Did the Jiang know something? Was that why Jiang Yanli refused to live in Lanling?

Lan Xichen frowned minutely, his negative expressions still hidden away to a degree. "Jin Guangshan has never openly stood against the Wen Sect and there is a rivalry between Furong Technologies and Wen Industries, that is only worsening." 

"However, I suspect something further has happened to turn Jin Guangshan against the Jiang. Years ago he was determined for Jin Zixuan to marry Jiang Yanli. Madam Jin was close to Madam Yu, they were shijie, but now he has begun to hate them." Lan Xichen adds.

"He is behind the financial allegations?" Lan Zhan asks.

"I do not know A-Zhan. I do not want you to think I am willfully denying the right to investigate the allegations A-Zhan either," Lan Xichen said seriously. "But, in truth I would rather maintain an alliance with a sect guilty perhaps of financial crimes, than mass murder."

Which was true, even if such a thing against Wei Ying stung greatly.

"And there is something else too," Lan Xichen said passing his brother a data stick. "I have heard some things and you will know better who to give this information to, if there is merit in it. Or perhaps for yourself, you will learn something from it."

Lan Zhan took the data stick curiously, a question in his eyes.

"Murders reportedly committed by Wen Xu." Lan Xichen said to Lan Zhan's shock. "Don't ask me who gave me this. The information on there I found based on what was told to me. Articles mostly. Other people who have been ruined or murdered, people who stood up against the Wen Sect."

He pauses and then adds, "According to...my...them...Jiang Fengmian supposedly sheltered some of them and argued with Wen Xu a week before the attack. The people he sheltered are dead. I don't know if the Jiang siblings are aware or not."

"A-Zhan...these people, they were investigating the Wen Sect. You'll see from the articles." Xichen said with morose certainty, his eyes boring into Lan Zhan's. "The names are the ones I was given. They all wrote about three extinct minor sects from thirty years ago,  that argued with Wen Ruohan. The entire household and most of the disciples were killed at night. The homes burned to ash, except for one. It is said they were killed by beasts, every homeowner savaged, every disciple dead."

Lan Zhan's mouth went dry, his eyes staring unblinkingly at the plastic USB stick. "Burned. The Wen Sect is an expert in spiritual beasts."

"Yes." Lan Xichen said in an echo of Lan Zhan's hollow tone. "The Wen Sect said each one was a terrible tragedy, born from keeping old buildings of dry wood. Lightning, arson...those kind of excuses."

"They will try to ruin the Jiang siblings." Lan Zhan stated staring at the data stick. Wondering who had given this to his brother, put his brother in this kind of danger. He needed to reach out to the network, track each of these, find the reasons they were never investigated. Xichen's eyes were wide and unfathomably shadowed when he looked up. "Thank you for this Brother."

Xichen smiled ruefully, one of the rarest ones Lan Zhan thought. "I do not know about the financial crimes, if they are true or not, if the Jiang siblings will have to pay for the choices of their father or if this too, is a false allegation. But, we know the crimes of the Wen and the cruelty of the Jin. We know this personally."

They certainly did. "Would not hesitate to execute Mother. Gusu."

Lan Xichen shook his head, "Exactly. Perhaps if the allegations are true, they will lose their business, maybe even serve time in prison for it. I don't know. But Wen Xu wanted Gusu to burn A-Zhan, exactly like these sects and I failed to stop it."

"Not your fault." Lan Zhan said immediately. "The Wen Sect did this. Would have even without talking to you first."

Xichen sighed and looked away. He did not agree but he did not argue and Lan Zhan still didn't know what to say.  "We did not stand with the Jin, did not accept their actions or congratulate them as Jin Guangshan wanted. We are already standing against them A-Zhan." He said eventually after a long pause.

"We are being seen to be standing with the Jiang and Nie." Lan Zhan intoned.

"Yes. They claim to have evidence of other crimes the Jiang siblings have committed, but how can we believe then A-Zhan?" Xichen asked plaintively.  "They have claimed any number of things against Mother, against our father. Openly engage in crimes never to be addressed. Meng Shi is proof of their evil. No, we must stand with the Jiang, A-Zhan. We must believe in them, until it is proven we are wrong and if we are...if this trust is misplaced...I will step down as Sect Leader. Accept disgrace."

The enormity of this statement shocked him into silence. He was not going to let them prove anything against the Jiang, especially Wen Chao's murder and with the new information Figbird had provided, he was soon going to have enough to prove the Wen Sect were guilty of financial crimes greater than a loan shark lending capital. "Not wrong. No evidence Jiang siblings have done anything wrong. They have been audited and there was nothing. Brother has no need to step down."

Lan Xichen smiled, the warm loving one this time and again they disagreed but didn't argue.

It was not simply the Jiang family he was trying to save, or the love of his life but now his brother too.

=======

The day of Wei Ying arrival, Lan Zhan had been awake since before dawn trying to anticipate anything Wei Ying might need, trying to coordinate what had already been decided and keep his sanity as he was out of contact with the network and their findings.

Lan Zhan desperately wished he could have seen Wei Ying before this morning. He was to stay in Caiyi for the week and Brother had opted for the Gusu paid apartments.

Mother had thankfully delayed her annual holiday after taking it in April for the last eight years. A fellow professor and disciple of the Yiling Liu Sect had fared badly in a Night Hunt. Mother was unharmed but was now taking over his duties, both in the Sect and at the University. The level three ghouls had overrun the Yiling cultivators and they had called Yunmeng for help.

It had been Wei Ying who had come, leading several Jiang seniors and a handful of juniors. She had told them of how Wei Ying had used his flute, introducing cultivation driven music covered, she said by a dance club song on a portable stereo.

DJ hits and a flute...only Wei Ying.

The ghouls were so disorientated that it had taken the Jiang minutes to take them down.

Mother had told him that Wei Ying had been so nice to them. "Handsome too. Sweet boy." She had said smiling at Lan Zhan, until his ears were hot enough to boil water. Brother wasn't spared either. Mother said that she had accompanied the injured juniors, and met Nie Huaisang who had dinner with the Jiang family twice a week. Sweet face. He was very kind. He gave me his umbrella.

Calming the juniors of the Yiling Liu, organizing their passage back to Yiling and sent the injured to Yunmeng. Wei Ying was such a marvel.

Of course , Mother had wanted to toss all of that one side and remain in Caiyi in case the Wen Sect did attack. It had taken a fortnight but eventually Brother managed to convince her to come after the Wen Sect had left. The attack was more likely then and they would have a better idea of how to protect the Sect.

Wei Ying...

They had texted each other before his flight and Lan Zhan knew that A-Yuan, now officially being called Wei Sizhui, was staying with Jiang Cheng while he was in Gusu.

Wei Ying: Aiyah! Lan Zhan! He said 'bye bye Baba'!

Wei Ying: Forget snow, I'm melting! Jiang Cheng was a puddle!

Lan Zhan: Call us both when you land in Caiyi.

Wei Ying: There is no phone in Gusu...Is there??

Lan Zhan: You are a cultivator. The Jiang invented the lotus messenger.

Wei Ying: My Lan Zhan is so good.

Wei Ying: I'm sending A-Yuan one now! I miss him!

He had received the lotus messenger about an hour ago, the time it would take a car to drive up the mountain road, then for them to walk up the steps or fly by sword to the main gates of Gusu. 

So here they were, the upper tier of Seniors, most of them several years older than either of the Twin Jades, sitting behind the Elders with Lan Zhan and Lan Xichen in the center, waiting for Wei Ying to arrive.

Brother sat in the center, in the raised chair designated for the Sect Leader. Beside him was Lan Zhan on his right and Uncle on his left. All around them were Elders and Seniors, men and women wearing their full sect uniform, ribbons immaculate.

Lan Zhan sat demurely, his face devoid of expression. He had wanted to drive to the airport and collect Wei Ying himself, but he had been denied that opportunity unfortunately. All he could do was wait.

Seconds ticked by and the appointment hour drew close, then one minute past. There was the crunch of gravel and then the doors at the front were opening, the damp air of the stormy April rushing inside.

His heart fluttered in his chest and something tightly coiled released little by little as he drank in the sight of Wei Ying.

His hair is longer, braided in a modern style and held back from his face. The haunted look is fading leaving behind his old cheer and bright smile. A-Yuan has been so good for him and the little boy couldn't want for a better baba. Like a plant twisting to find the sun, Lan Zhan leans forward minutely in his seat, wishing he could go to him.

Wei Ying has never been classic corporate. He's been praised for it and rebuked for it. He looks gorgeous at any moment and style can only enhance his beauty, but there is always an otherworldly aura to Wei Ying.

He follows his profile, religiously checking it nearly every day and he studied with him thirteen years ago. He's seen Wei Ying in every kind of knitwear coat they sell. Close fitted, billowing, oversized, plain and patterned. So the voluminous red wool coat has a smile tugging at his mouth. Underneath it, he is wearing a black suit complimented by his lotus pin, right over his heart, Suibian and his lotus charm at his waist.

Mercury eyes are intent, sweeping the room quickly as he moves inside, leaving the door open for the second person. Who shifts around behind Wei Ying until they are sharing the space with the red coat.

To his surprise, its Nie Huaisang. The smaller man blinks at the assembled Lan, perhaps expecting a smaller gathering, and then smiles weakly. Lan Zhan doesn't think he has ever seen Nie Huaisang in a blue suit before, half hidden by his typical grey Nie coat and scarf,  holding a laptop bag.

He hears Brother's intake of breath, realizes he didn't expect Huaisang and chooses to ignore it.

They both bow in greeting, deeply and entirely silently. Brother rises, "We bid you both welcome. Master Wei, Young Master Nie."

At this, Wei Ying smiles brightly and Lan Zhan releases his held breath. "Thank you Zewu-jun. It is an honor to be here."

"Wei Wuxian." Lan Qiren barked out. "You are late."

By two minutes, Lan Zhan wants to argue. It was hardly a rudeness at all.

Nie Huaisang smiles, twin dimples showing, "Thank you Zewu-jun. We apologize Grandmaster, for any delay. There were a few problems at the airport. The plane was delayed taking off."

Wei Ying bowed again, "Grandmaster Lan Qiren, Hanguang-jun and Lan Masters, thank you for this time." 

A Junior steps forward and takes their coats, disappearing out the door.

Lan Zhan tries to convey welcome with a small smile. Brother looked concerned but quickly gestured for them to take a seat. The assembled Elders and Seniors, facing Lan Xichen was a half circle, leaving two seats for Wei Ying and Nie Huaisang. As he moved, Wei Ying smiled at him warmly, eyes sparkling.

"Would you care for an refreshments?" Lan Xichen asks politely, watching Nie Huaisang.

'You are very kind Zewu-jun, but we are alright." Wei Ying replies, his smile warm. Perhaps noting that no one else has a cup in front of them, not on the Elders' table or in the Seniors' hands.

"Very well." Xichen replies after a second, "Then let us begin." 

Wei Ying smiled directly at him, his eyes gleaming like the flash of a blade in moonlight, as he stepped to his seat. Nie Huaisang smiled as well as he took the one beside him, clutching his bag.

"The Jiang and Lan have been allies for three hundred and forty one years now. An alliance forged in blood. Since Sect Leaders Lan  Lijuan and Jiang Po became sworn sister and brother. When the Jiang fell on hard times, the Lan offered us a loan within that same year. When the Lan were struck by plague thirty years later, the Jiang called for every doctor in Yunmeng to come up with a cure." Wei Ying began. "We have shared resources, night hunts and fought back to back when war came upon us."

"More recently, when Sect Leader Jiang Fengmian and Madam Yu were murdered by Wen Chao," His voice cracked slightly and everyone in the room heard it, but Lan Zhan heart broke for him.

"Without Zewu-jun and Hanguang-jun, my sister Jiang Yanli would have died in a farmhouse miles from home, and so many of our disciples would died in Lotus Pier. Because of the Lan Sect, we stand strong today."

"Our Sect cultures are different, our cultivation foundations and styles are night and day. But that has never harmed our friendship. It is because of this friendship, that we of Furong, of the Jiang, would like to offer two proposals."

"Two Master Wei?" Lan Xichen asks curiously.

"Yes Zewu-jun. With your permission, Nie Huaisang will play our presentation explaining exactly what we can offer, or we can do so verbally?"

"A verbal explanation will be fine." Xichen said with a smile, glancing at Uncle's angry expression.

Wei Ying was not deterred, "As you wish Zewu-jun."

Nie Huaisang rose as Wei Ying sat down opening the bag to pull out a sheaf of papers, which he presented Xichen with.

"The two proposals have been designed to correspond to different threat levels and the preferences of the Lan Sect itself." Nie Huaisang said in an even tone, looking mostly at Xichen. "Our first proposal is the more invasive of the two."

"Invasive?" Lan Qiren barks out.

Wei Ying stands with him smoothly, "We have been developing over the last two years a tri-layer shielding system, able to withstand significant attack and in current tests seventy three hours of constant directed cultivation energy, various explosions, fire and any other natural forces."

"When triggered the tri-layer shield can be designed to fold over escape tunnels and passageways, allowing for evacuation if necessary." Nie Huaisang picked up the thread of the narrative without missing a beat. "To work, the shield is anchored in seventeen points across the land but does not require a large array."

"It can be activated to protect one large area or any building carrying enough talisman points." Wei Ying continued. "The second part of this system uses tagging."

"Within the uniform of the guest disciples, a small talisman can be concealed. Any building carrying our block array, will bar access to the banned people." Nie Huaisang adds, "A similar system can be rigged to the Cloud Recesses jade tokens, preventing anyone entering the space without permission. The talisman has be activated on the token to allow access."

"The secondary part includes the latest in fire suppression talisman arrays, a dynamic talisman alert system when unwanted access occurs, plus a live update map showing the location of the tagged people both on a paper and digital form.  " Nie Huaisang adds. "This system proved to work in harsh conditions when the science team from Qinghe was caught in a flash flood. The system was able to show rescuers exactly where each student was."

"But we understand, that this level of detail and tracking is not entirely within keeping of the Lan Sect traditions." Wei Ying swiftly adds. "Our second proposal includes all of the fire suppression arrays, the alert system and a dynamic shield blocking array that would allow any evacuating group to pass through fire and attack unhindered." 

=======

"Wei Ying, thank you for doing this."

Wei Ying pauses one black boot nearly touching the last step. He turns in his red coat and smiles brightly, "Ah Lan Zhan, there is no need for thanks. I want to help."

Lan Zhan followed him feeling that magnetic pull, "The decision may take a few hours."

Wei Ying sighs and shivers, 'That's fine. Its a big thing. As long as they decide tonight. Nie-xiong and I will need some time to set up the whole thing and hide it."

"I'll help." Lan Zhan volunteered, "All of the Lan Sect will help."

Wei Ying's smile flashed warm and pleased, coming closer to Lan Zhan, grey eyes sparkling. "So good, my Lan Zhan." He took Lan Zhan's hand, the cold fingers feeling like benediction as they slot into his own grip. "Any chance of some tea? I'm freezing Lan Zhan." He whines quietly, swinging their joins hands a little.

"Of course. Anything." He replies, leading Wei Ying further into the Cloud Recesses, towards the Jingshi.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

192K 7.9K 33
WARNING: This story has spoilers for the show, Novel, And spinoff movie The Living Dead. A/N: I might chance character's personalities (specificall...
63.9K 4.3K 12
Lan WangJi met Wei WuXian 13 years later since they lost each other in high school. Reconnecting on a music festival, they were slowly unraveling the...
246K 9.6K 45
Wei Ying was banished and discarded from the whole Cultivating world. Lan Zhan Turned his back on him, the juniors can't help him they are still youn...
265K 13.4K 80
Wei Ying felt too suffocated because of Lan Qiren's pressure. He wants Lan Zhan to get married to another to have an heir, same as for Lan Xichen. We...