Rafe Adler x reader

By Artezlect

After working for Rafe Adler for over a year, you have developed some feelings for him. Suddenly, he offers y... More

The Offer
Flight
Hotel

The Auction

136 8 2
By Artezlect

You got out of the limousine and looked at the estate. There was a large fountain in the middle of the parking lot, surrounded by many expensive cars which seemed to increase by the second. Several upper-class people were standing outside, to which you were surprised how many were there.

"This place is...big," you said in awe.

"Yeah," Rafe took a second to look at it. "Come on, we have a cross to buy," He placed his arm out for you to hold.

You laughed lightly at his action, thinking that he was joking.

"Why are you laughing? I'm serious,"

"Rafe...," you said slightly surprised. You eventually placed your arm around his, blushing a bit by his touch. You could even smell his cologne. You didn't think much of being this close to him, as it was probably a social standard for an event like this.

You entered the villa with many body guards standing by the entrance. Statues were engraved onto the wall, with chandeliers hanging on the ceilings surrounded by old paintings.

As you entered the main hall, a great number of people were already there. Waiters were walking around handing people drinks, with faint techno music playing in the background. You couldn't deny that place looked really nice, especially with the blue lights that gave it a nice atmosphere.

"Rafe," you could hear an unknown voice call out. You looked around to see who it was, and a woman approached him. She was a bit taller than you, with dark curly hair.

"Nadine. Is everything well?" Rafe said to her.

So this was Nadine.

"Yes. This is your new partner I suppose?" She looked at you, reaching her hand out. "Nadine Ross,"

You smiled at her shaking her hand. (Y/N L/N)"

"Nadine has the order changed yet?" Rafe asked her.

"Yes, I checked the papers. Everything is according to plan."

You looked up at Rafe, surprised at what he said. "You changed the order?"

"I want to get this done with done with."

You noticed that Nadine was looking around a lot, as she was specifically looking for someone or already found someone. "Rafe. I think I spotted Victor."

"Who? Victor Sullivan?" He looked into the direction where Nadine was looking, and seemed to spot him as well. His expression instantly changed. "Shit," he seemed to think to himself for a bit, contemplating what to do.

"Do you think he's after the cross?" Nadine asked.

"Definitely. And if he's after it then the rest of them have to be too."

You could tell that Rafe seemed distressed, but at the same time you were very confused with what they were talking about.

"Nadine, go to him and get any information you can. I'll be at the bar."

Nadine left you two, and walked into the crowd. You had so many questions to ask at the same time. "Rafe. Who's Victor?" You looked up at him. He didn't look the same anymore. He seemed way more serious and irritated at the same time.

Rafe took a deep breath before talking and slowly made his way over to the bar with you. "Remember the people I told you about?"

"You mentioned them,"

"Two brothers and an older man. It turns out they're here as well.  There's... a lot of history between us. I used to work with them to find Avery's treasure,"

Rafe grabbed a drink from the bar and immediately took a sip. Your grip from his arm was now gone and he looked stressed out, even though Rafe tried to hide it. His eyes were constantly on Nadine and Sullivan, studying their very move.

"What are you gonna do? Talk him out of it?" You took a drink from the bar as well.

"Maybe... different methods," Rafe leaned on the counter.

You looked around and noticed Nadine walking over to you and Rafe.

"I'll bring him over here. Be ready," she said to Rafe while grabbing two drinks from the bar. Nadine turned around and he grabbed her shoulder stopping her, "What did he say?"

"So far nothing. It's just small talk for now." She walked back over to Victor, while for some reason you felt a bit of jealousy within yourself. You knew that they weren't together but for some reason you felt a bit insecure. You didn't know how close they were.

"Are you ok?" Rafe asked you.

"Yeah. I'm fine." You put on a fake smile.

"Don't worry about the cross Y/N, I'll make sure that we'll walk out of it and he won't."

"We don't even know where the brothers are. They could be anywhere."

"I know. I'll get rid of them before they lay their eyes on the cross," Rafe looked a bit away from you, eyeing where Victor and Nadine was. "They're coming here. Come on."

You and Rafe walked over to them. You could hear bits and pieces of their conversation. Maybe talking about someone Victor used to work with but you weren't sure.
"Last time I heard he got settled down and got married," the man said.

"Well then he might as well be dead right?" Rafe walked over to him smiling. "Victor Sullivan! How the hell are you?" He tried to cover up his emotions as much as possible, but he was doing pretty well at pretending. You were standing right next Rafe, listening to their conversation.

"How long has it been? Ten years... twelve..."

"Fifteen." Sullivan replied.

Rafe laughed again, "It's amazing. All these years gone by and we are still haggling over dead peoples junk,"

"Really?" Sullivan asked. "Aren't you running your parents business?"

"My business now. But yes, it is my day job." Rafe smiled.

"Ho ho. That is one helluva day job. You could probably afford to buy everything on the block tonight,"

"Well, Sure... but what would be the point in that? These days I'm only looking for the... good stuff. Big scores." Rafe said.

Victor turned to you. "I don't... think we've met before."

"We haven't, no." You certainly didn't expect him to talk to you.

"Victor Sullivan." He shook your hand.

"Y/N L/N,"

"What brings you here to the auction?" Victor asked you.

You could immediately tell that he was trying to get things out of you. The brothers were definitely here.

"Nothing really. I'm just here with Rafe." You didn't plan on anything to say to him. You thought that he would only focus on Rafe and Nadine.

"I see. How did you two meet?"

"Through work," you replied. Even thought this conversation lasted barely seconds, you wanted it to end.

"So are two you married? Kids maybe?"

You immediately blushed. He thought you and Rafe were together?!

"No no, we are - we -, we just work together," you let out a small nervous laughter completely not expecting his question.

"Oh! I- I apologise," Sullivan said.

"Any advice on what I should pick up tonight?" Rafe asked him trying to change the topic.

"Ha, yeah. Like I'd want to bid against him." He looked over to Nadine. "But um, just between you and me..." Victor got a bit closer to Rafe. "I did notice they changed the order. I think somebody might be trying to rig this auction."

You looked away. You didn't want to do anything that would give away that Rafe changed the order.

"Well remember where we are, this crowd didn't get rich by playing fair."

Nadine walked over to Rafe, also standing next to him. "Which is why you really need someone to watch your back in a place like this,"

"Ah. Well I do hate it to break it to ya. You are working for an American." Sullivan looked at you and Nadine.

"With. We've partnered up on this one." Even thought he was talking about you three, Nadine was acting like it was only her and Rafe.

"I see,"

"In a few moments we will begin bidding on our next item. An inlaid wooden crucifix from the Trott estate." You could hear a woman on the speaker say.

"Well, it's time for me to go. You kids have fun tonight," Sullivan started to walk away but Rafe grabbed his arm slightly aggressively.

"Just hold on Sully. How'd you find out about it?" Rafe's expression changed into a serious one once again. He wasn't trying to act nice this time.

"It?" Sullivan asked. "Now what "It" is that Rafe?" He tried acting as if he didn't know about the cross. "Ladies, I think your partner here has had a bit too many bloody Mary's-,"

Rafe instantly cut Victor of by smashing his glass onto the floor. Everyone in the hall gasped, looking at you. Even you were surprised by Rafe's actions.

"Cut the bullshit old man." Rafe pointed a finger at him. "Now I don't know how you scammed your way in here, but if you think about bidding on Avery's cross I can tell you exactly how you will be leaving in a goddamn body bag-,"

"Rafe!" Nadine raised her voice at him.

He seemed to notice the attention he got and instantly switched into his nice demeanour acting as if nothing happened. He placed his hand on Victor's shoulder, "Well." He brushed off a bit of Sullivan's suit, "You get my point."

The man seemed completely unfazed by Rafe's threat, but he definitely look pissed of by him. "Lovely seeing you both," and with that he walked away into the crowd.

"Rafe what's wrong with you?" You whisper shouted at him.

"What?" Rafe shrugged. I did what had to be done."

"The bidding is about to start. Please get ready for the next item," the lady said over the mic again.

Rafe started walking over to the front of room, while you stood at the back next to Nadine. "Is he always like that?" You asked her.

"At times he can be. I'll go get another drink," and with that she left, leaving you alone. You decided to walk over to Rafe who was already bidding.

He looked very confident with himself and totally relaxed. He knew that no one could outbid him - he was definitely getting the cross.

He was currently at €50,000, quickly moving his way up to €90,00. After a few seconds, no one else seemed to bid for the cross.

"Since we have no other bids...going once. Going twice...Bene! We have one hundred thousand euros in the room." The auctioneer said.

What the hell? You turned around to see who beat Rafe's bid - it was Sullivan. You looked over at Rafe and you didn't think that you've ever seen him looked more pissed than he did now.

"Do we have any more bids?" The lady said again.

Rafe lifted his number up, his glare not leaving Sullivan for a even second. It was almost as if he was threatening him just by looking at him.

"We now have one hundred ten thousand euros in the room,"

Rafe leaned in a bit closer to you, "I'll kill this goddamn idiot if he bids one more time,"

"The bid brings us to one hundred twenty,"

You glanced at Rafe studying his reaction. To be honest you weren't sure if he was being sarcastic or not.

The next minute or so it was just Rafe and Victor going back and forth with the cross. The unspoken rivalry between them was quite... intense.

Soon enough Sullivan's bid got to one hundred ninety thousand. You could tell that this got onto Rafe's last nerve as he lifted his number up, "Five hundred thousand, let's get this show on the road,"

"Uh... thank you. We have five hundred thousand euros in the room. Does the gentleman wish to bid again?"

Everyone in the room looked Sullivan, including Rafe. He lifted his hand up, as if telling him if he still wants to do this. You were sure that if Victor had continued, Rafe would've lost control of himself again.

Sullivan hesitated, but gave the cross the to Rafe. "Had me worried there for a minute Victor. Thought I might had to kill you!" everyone in the room laughed at Rafe's remark, but you had a feeling he wasn't lying.

You sighed in relief knowing that the cross is all yours.

"Anyone else? Going once... going twice...then I shall sell five hundred thousand -," suddenly the lights went out and the whole room was dark.

"What happened?" You asked Rafe.

"I don't know," he was looking around, waiting impatiently for the lights to go back on.

The crowd went into instant chatter. "Ladies and gentlemen please remain calm. The backup power will come on shortly,"

A few seconds later the lights went back on.

"It's gone!" You could hear someone from the crowd shout. Everyone gasped, going into panic and looking for the cross. Rafe turned around and noticed someone leaving from the door closing behind them.

He didn't lose anytime in running towards them, pushing anyone who was in his way. You were following Rafe, but not as fast as he was running. You knew there was no point in trying to get the cross back.

"Hey! Stop that guy!" He was running to a guard who was standing by the door. "What are you doing? You're letting him get away!" The guard pointed his gun at Rafe telling him to move back. He put his hands up walking away from the guard.

You put your hand on his shoulder getting to get his attention, "Rafe, we'll get it back. Rafe!" He simply walked away from you, aggressively throwing the paddle onto the ground.

"It's not fair! I bought the cross, it's mine!" Rafe turned around facing you.

"We can still get it back," you tried remaining positive.

"How?"

"...maybe - uh... I don't know,"

You could see Nadine walking over to you two. "Did he run away?"

"Yes," Rafe replied.

"Why didn't you go after him?"

"I did! They wouldn't let me."

Nadine sighed. "I told you to do it my way. We would've had the cross weeks ago,"

"How was I supposed to know?"

"Guys!" You interrupted them. "It happened, ok? There's no point in arguing. Let's just go back."

"You're right." Rafe said to you. "Let's go."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

173K 3.6K 46
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
115K 13.6K 21
"๐™๐™ค๐™ช๐™˜๐™ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ง๐™จ๐™š๐™ก๐™›, ๐™œ๐™ž๐™ง๐™ก. ๐™„ ๐™ฌ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™ฃ๐™– ๐™จ๐™š๐™š ๐™ž๐™ฉ" Mr Jeon's word lingered on my skin and ignited me. The feeling that comes when yo...
601K 30.3K 59
A Story of a cute naughty prince who called himself Mr Taetae got Married to a Handsome yet Cold King Jeon Jungkook. The Union of Two totally differe...
1M 40K 93
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...