The Winds of the Past [Rune F...

By Halcyon_Eve

Based on the video game Rune Factory 4. A Wattpad Featured Fanfiction 2015-2016. After a terrible accident de... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76

Chapter 38

318 11 15
By Halcyon_Eve

It was early evening when we returned to Avani's rooms and dropped off our gear before heading over to the inn's bathhouse for a much-needed soak in the fragrant baths. They were quiet at that hour—Jones was the only occupant on the men's side when Dylas and I stepped in to shower before our soak, and he left shortly after we settled down in the large pool of steaming water. Dylas seemed unusually quiet, even for him, perhaps even a trifle sullen. I knew better than to talk to him when he was in that frame of mind. If he wanted to talk, he would initiate a conversation—otherwise it was better to let him alone. So I just leaned back and enjoyed the warmth of the water and the scented steam and let him stew. I knew that whatever was on his mind wouldn't stay there long—he was a man of action, not of philosophy or poetry.

Afterwards, scrubbed and relaxed and in clean clothing, we walked over to Porcoline's for a late dinner. Fortunately, the restaurant had extended hours—though whether for his customers' convenience or for additional opportunities to sneak more food past Margaret, I was never entirely sure. We all ordered set meals—sashimi for Dylas, curry for Avani, and grilled salmon for myself, and Margaret stood by to ensure that our food reached our table intact. Dylas's pensive mood continued throughout the meal, so Avani and I talked while he mostly just picked at his food, eating less than usual despite the day's exertions.

Avani's armor had been badly damaged in combat, and she decided that it really wasn't adequate anymore. She wanted to upgrade all our armor, but she wasn't sure with what yet. So she suggested that after the meal we return to her rooms, examine our equipment, and search through her various tomes on the crafting of arms and armor to see if there was a mention of anything that would be an improvement on what we currently had. Then she wanted to go in search of whatever materials were needed the next day, spend the day after that making the new equipment, and then finally return to tackle the western island of the floating fortress on the third day.

"Sure," I said when she put forth her suggested plan of action. "That sounds great. What do you think?" I turned to Dylas.

He started slightly, then blushed a little. "Uhh, sorry. No. I-I can't. I... I'm going to be busy tomorrow."

Avani raised her eyebrow. "Weren't you just telling me earlier to ask you to come with me if I went anywhere dangerous? So now that I'm asking, suddenly you can't?" she asked, drily.

He turned even more red, saying, "Yeah. But at least you'll have Leon, so it's not like you'll be out on your own."

Avani just stared at him, perplexed, then shrugged, saying, "Well, if you can't, you can't. We'll manage just fine without you, I expect." Then she pushed her chair back and rose. "I'm going to go settle the bill. Are you guys almost done?"

I nodded, but Dylas, looking away, said, "I... I have some stuff I have to do. You go on ahead. Sorry to ask, but can you just look at my stuff for me and decide what to replace? I've got something I have to do tonight. Sorry."

Again Avani stared at him, her brow furrowed. "Dylas, what is it? What's up? You're acting really peculiar. Is something wrong? Are you... are you still mad about earlier? I said I was sorry—there really wasn't much choice, you know. I thought we got all that cleared up?"

"No, it's not that, it's... it's nothing. I just have some things I have to do, so I don't have time right now to hang out with you." Then he quickly stood up and bolted out of the restaurant, leaving us staring after him.

"What... what is wrong with that nitwit today, anyway? Doesn't have time for me? When I'm doing him a favor? I'm going to regret that I ever took him back, if he's going to be like this." She sighed and shook her head in irritation. "Well, if you're finished? Let's get going. Hopefully you aren't too busy for me, too?"

"Indeed not, My Lady," I said with a broad smile. Though I was not at all displeased to spend some time alone in her company, I still regretted the circumstances since I hated to see her unhappy. If the saying that you always hurt the one you love was true, then Dylas must love her very dearly.

It was a beautiful spring evening, and the sun was just setting when we left the restaurant. So we decided to stroll along through the western side of town in order to enjoy the colorful display. As we passed the blacksmith's shop, Avani decided to stop in and see if perhaps Bado had any suggestions for better armor. We stepped in and looked around for the smith, but to our surprise, we saw Dylas, of all people, back at the forge, busy with some task.

"Dylas? What are you doing here? I thought you were busy?" Avani said in surprise, walking back to the forge.

He jumped and spun around. "Dammit! Don't sneak up on me like that!" he yelled, turning first white, then red.

"What are you talking about? I didn't sneak up on you. I just walked in through the door like a normal person. What are you doing here?"

"Aah! Uhh, nothing—I'm not doing anything. Just... just go away, will you? I don't have time for you right now."

"You... what? Come on, what are you up to? Why are you acting so strange?" Avani said, scowling.

"I-I'm not acting strange! You're acting strange—stop following me around! Just leave me alone!"

She stood stock still and just stared at him, hurt and anger jockeying for position on her face. Finally she just said, "Fine! Have a wonderful night all by yourself, Dylas." Then she turned on her heel and stalked out, grabbing my arm on the way—her original errand forgotten.

Once she was outside the smith, her face crumpled and tears slipped down her cheeks. "I don't understand, Leo. What did I do? Why is he acting like this? Is he really that upset about earlier?"

I wiped the tears from her cheeks and put my arm around her. "Don't worry about it, My Lady. You know Dylas—he just gets moody from time to time. I'm sure he'll get over it soon—whatever 'it' is."

We returned to her rooms and gathered up her tomes on the art of smithing. Sitting before the fire, we pored over her books in silence, until at last she sat up excitedly. "This! Oh, it seems so obvious now, but I never even thought of doing armor this way! And I can get the materials without too much difficulty, so that's even better!"

"What is it, My Lady? What did you find?" I said, closing my book and peering over at the volume that lay open on her lap.

"Just this—if you add diamond studs to this fairly basic armor, here, see? Like this... the diamonds are so hard, that they create a, well, not exactly impervious armor, but definitely pretty tough. Brilliant in its simplicity, isn't it? I saw some ore up in the mountains, in the Sechs territory, that looked as though it might be the right kind to contain diamonds, and this kind of armor is one that I can readily obtain after defeating the Viking monsters that are all over the place up there. So what do you say? Do you feel up to taking on some Vikings and mammoos and maybe a few death stalkers and tundras? It doesn't look like Dylas will be coming with us, but we can take Baldur if you like—he could use the exercise, to be honest."

"Certainly. It's been some time since we've gone out fighting, just the two of us. Even if it's too cold up there for any impromptu diversions, it'll still be enjoyable to spend some time alone with you."

She flashed me a grateful smile. "You know, I don't know how you do it, but whenever I'm feeling down or angry or whatever, you seem to know just exactly how to make me feel better."

I set her book aside and leaned over to kiss her, saying, "Well, My Lady, it's a bit of an obsession of mine—making you feel better. Allow me to demonstrate...."

The next morning, before we set of to the Sechs territory, Avani decided to try again to persuade Dylas to come with us. "It's not that I don't like the idea of it being just the two of us," she assured me. "But if I'm going to the effort to gather materials and craft him some armor, it seems like the least he can do is come along and help get the supplies I need. I don't think that's all that much to ask. I don't know what's come up so suddenly, but surely he can postpone it a little longer."

I shrugged and smiled at her. "I've no idea, My Lady. He hasn't said anything to me, though I did notice he seemed unusually taciturn yesterday—even for him."

She sighed and stood up from the breakfast table. Gathering up the dishes, she said, "Well, it won't hurt to ask, anyway."

We washed up and headed over to the restaurant. Dylas came rushing out just as we reached the door, nearly knocking us over in his haste. "Dylas!" Avani shouted as he dashed off, oblivious to our presence. He came to a sudden halt and turned to look back at us, scowling as Avani ran up to him. "We're about to head off to the Sechs territory to get materials for the new armor I'm going to make us—can you join us?"

"I already told you, I don't have time for you! Quit following me everywhere!" He turned and ran off, leaving Avani stunned on the street behind him.

I quickly hurried over to her and embraced her. "Hey, don't fret. You've still got me, right? So let's get going. You can pretend that the mammoos are Dylas—they're big and dumb, too."

She hiccupped a laugh and a sob mixed together and wiped a tear from her eye. "I just don't know what's going on with him. I... I feel like I've lost one of my best friends, and I don't have a clue why." She heaved a deep sigh, then turned and slowly headed towards the airship.

We spent most of the day fighting Vikings and other montane creatures as well as searching for ore. By late afternoon, Avani had acquired enough materials, and we returned home. After dropping off the materials and our equipment, we headed over to the inn to soak in the baths for a while before dinner. A good day's fighting and a nice long soak in the tub seemed to at least partially restore her spirits, and we returned to her rooms. I set about grilling some shrimp while she made fried rice and a salad.

After dinner, we went for a stroll. As we walked along Airship Way, Dylas came striding along towards the restaurant. Avani stopped and stared at him, a pensive look in her eyes. Then quickly, as if suddenly making up her mind, she strode up to him. "Dylas," she said, and he started, caught off guard. "Why are you avoiding me?"

"I-I'm not!" he protested.

"Yes, you are! All of a sudden you're too busy for me, and you keep telling me to get lost. It's like we were never even friends, let alone lovers! Why?"

"I... it's only that... that you just won't leave me alone!"

Avani turned pale and I could see tears in her eyes. "Why, Dylas? Why are you treating me like this? Why are you being so mean to me?"

A startled look came over Dylas's face. "I-I'm.... Look, just go, will you? Just... go away and leave me alone."

She stood there, stricken, then she slapped him and ran, sobbing, down the steps to her garden and on to the castle, with me following close on her heels.

She burst through her back door, and throwing herself down on her bed, she began to wail loudly, great sobs racking her small frame. I sat next to her and murmured soothingly to her, stroking her hair until she quieted and, utterly spent, finally fell asleep, her cheeks bright and hot and wet with tears.

As soon as she was soundly asleep, I hurried to the inn to fetch Sano and Uno. I settled them in to keep a close eye on her, reminding them to avoid contact with her while she slept. Then I left.

I found Dylas in his room, pacing back and forth. He looked up and glared at me when I entered his room. "I don't have time for you, either," he snapped.

I narrowed my eyes and growled, my ears flattened against my skull, "Maybe so, but buddy, you're going to make the time, and right now." I grabbed him by the collar and dragged him clear through town, all the way to the shore of Dragon Lake, where we had a little privacy. I jerked him up close to me, glaring into his face despite his advantage in height. "Listen," I snarled. "Enough is enough. I don't know what the hell you're playing at, but I'm sick and tired of you making Avani cry all the time. You'd better have a damn good excuse for being a total dickwad, because otherwise I'm going to kick your ass all up one side of town and down the other." Then I threw him to the ground and stood over him, glowering. "Now you listen—when Avani walks out her door tomorrow morning, I want you standing there waiting in the courtyard. And you're going to apologize to her for the hurtful things you've said and done. And you're going to mean it, or I will kick your ass. Is that clear?"

He bristled and replied, struggling to his feet, "Shut the fuck up, Leon! Mind your own goddamn business. This doesn't concern you!"

"Oh, yes it does. If it involves Avani, it involves me. And if you keep on hurting Avani, I will most certainly hurt you. Keep that in mind."

"Pfft, I could take you any day," he said scornfully. "I'm bigger and stronger than you."

"Maybe so, but I'm faster and smarter—and a hell of a lot angrier. Care to try me?"

Before he could reply, though, a loud roar broke the stillness. "Dyyyllllaasssss!!" bellowed Volkanon as he raced towards us. As he neared Dylas, he pulled out his massive war hammer and held it at the ready. Diving at the younger man, he shouted, "How! Dare! You! Make! Her! Cry!!" with each swing.

Dylas jumped out of the way, shouting, "What the hell?"

"Dylas! How dare you hurt someone as sweet and good as Avani! Prepare to be punished!" a strident female voice shouted, and I turned to see Forte charging, sword drawn, straight for her target. Again he dove out of the way... and then all hell broke loose.

Nearly en masse, the entire town—barring Venti and Avani herself—converged on Dylas, shouting angrily and threatening him with fists and weapons while lecturing and scolding him soundly for his treatment of their beloved princess. Confused and dismayed, he ducked and rolled and darted this way and that, trying to avoid the mob of angry villagers. The final straw came when he turned and saw little, old Granny Blossom raising her cane shakily in the air to strike him, white-lipped with anger. He turned and fled, tripping and falling as he dove up the stairs leading from the lakeshore to the town. He picked himself up and dashed away, racing as fast as he could to lock himself in his room above the restaurant.

I returned to Avani's room as quietly as I could. Sano assured me that she'd slept the entire time without stirring even once at the commotion outside. The two foxes rose and stretched in unison, then curled up together on a chair in the sitting area. After changing into my pyjamas, I carefully climbed into bed next to her. I gently put my arms around her, and she nestled up to me with a ragged, sobbing sigh before slipping back into a deep slumber. I sighed to myself, thinking over the night's events. I had a pretty good guess what was behind Dylas's odd behavior, and if my hunch was correct, I was none too delighted.

The next morning, I made her breakfast in bed and told her I'd asked Vishnal and Clorica to see to her gardens and animals that morning so that she could rest. So she enjoyed a rare lazy morning at home, and I gladly enjoyed it with her. I hadn't forgotten what I'd told Dylas, though, so after a reasonable amount of time, I suggested we dress and go pay a few social calls before she settled down to her day's work at her forge.

Sure enough, when we walked through her front door, Dylas was there, standing silent and still before her door. She started, first turning white and then red as she recalled his words the previous evening. "What do you want? I thought you wanted me to keep away from you. So why are you here?" she asked, her voice icy.

Dylas blushed and looked away for a moment, then straightened up to meet her gaze. "I-I know. And I'm sorry. I said... I said some things that I shouldn't have. I didn't mean to hurt you. I just didn't stop to think."

"Well, was there some reason that you treated me that way?"

He hesitated before answering, "Ye-e-es... but I can't tell you why."

"Fine. See you around," she said, angrily, as she turned to walk away.

"Wait! Wait! Please, Avani, just give me a minute. I... I know you're mad at me, and you have every right to be mad. I know I'm a jerk and I keep on saying and doing things that hurt you, even though I don't mean to. But please just listen to me. I can't tell you the reason yet. Please, just trust me— just give me a little more time."

"How long are you talking about? I'm not saying I forgive you, mind, but I want to know exactly what it is you're asking of me."

"Can you meet me here tonight? Like, around 19:00? Or if you aren't ready to talk to me then, I'll wait until you are. And if you still aren't ready tomorrow, I'll wait until the next day, or the next, or the day after that. Even if it takes a hundred years, I'll wait here for you, however long it takes until you are willing."

Avani sighed tiredly, obviously touched by his plea, but equally obviously still upset with him. "And you'll tell me everything then?" Again he hesitated, and Avani scowled at him. "Give me your word that you'll tell me everything, and I'll agree to meet you and hear you out. If you won't give me your word, then no deal."

"Okay, okay! I'll tell you everything. I-I promise."

"Fine. Then I'll see you at 19:00. Oh, and meet me in my room, not in the courtyard—I'll be making new armor today, and even if you have been a complete ass to me, you still need armor. So I'll want you to try it on before we have our talk."

He nodded, then he ran off to make whatever preparations he intended to make. She turned towards me, a thoughtful look in her eyes. "You knew about this, didn't you?"

"Well, 'knew' is perhaps a little strong. It's not as if he's been confiding in me. Let's just say, I had a pretty strong hunch."

"Strong and accurate, I'll bet. Well, if I'm supposed to meet him here tonight, I guess I'd better skip social calls and get right to work forging. Sorry, Leo. You're welcome to hang around if you like, though don't feel obligated—I know it's hard on your ears."

"It is, rather. I think I'll do some more work on translating—in my room at the inn, since your forge is too near your study for me to concentrate over the din."

"All right, then. I'll bring your armor with me when I come to bathe tonight, and you can see how it fits. So probably around 17:00, give or take a little depending on how the work goes."

"I'll be there," I replied, then leaned down and kissed her wistfully before heading back inside to grab my things.

I spent the day working on some translations, and as promised, Avani came by just a few minutes before 17:00. She pulled out the armor, and I gave a low whistle. The armor was designed as a plate to cover the chest and abdomen, with heavy straps to secure it in place. Made of some very hard, dull, whitish metal, it was thickly studded with small diamonds and diamond chips in a decorative design  reminiscent of peacock feathers. It was a thing of beauty as well as function. I removed my vest and slipped it on—it fit perfectly.

"Do... do you like it? Does it fit?"

"It's incredible, and a perfect fit. It just might be too nice to use, though," I replied, smiling at her as I removed it again. "Thank you," I said, giving her a kiss.

"It's the first time I've really felt like I had the skill to do something decorative. I was afraid you wouldn't like it, though... that it would be, well, silly."

"Not in the least." I assured her, kissing her again.

I accompanied her down to the baths, as I felt like I could use a break anyway. Afterwards, I headed over to Porcoline's, but to my surprise, I found it was closed for a private party. With a shrug, I turned around and returned to the inn, where I asked Lin if she would please send up a meal for me. It looked as though I'd be staying in, after all.

I had just put away my translation work and thrown myself down on my bed, feeling too restless to sleep or read a book, and debating if I should go for a walk or possibly even go do some solo monster hunting, when I heard the sound of footsteps racing up the stairs. I sat up just as Avani bolted into my room, sobbing. I glanced at the clock—it was 22:00, so whatever had her weeping was almost certainly due to Dylas... again. I felt my jaw clench in anger. That boy was getting to be a real problem.

"My Lady? What happened? Are you all right?" I asked as she flung herself at me, wrapping her arms around my neck and sobbing into my shoulder. It was several minutes before she calmed enough to talk, and even then it was difficult to get anything coherent from her.

"That... that idiot!" she finally gasped.

"What is it, My Lady? What happened?"

"He... he... he asked me to marry him!" she said in a strangled voice, then began to cry again.

I stiffened at her announcement. So I'd been right, after all. "He did, did he?" was all that I said.

"Yes. Why did he have to go and do that? Everything was perfect." she sniffled, burrowing into my embrace.

"Was it?" I said, gently.

She sat up in surprise and looked at me. "Y-yes, or I thought it was, anyway...."

Stroking her cheek softly, I said "My Lady, it's permissible to deceive others from time to time—necessary, even. In battle, for example, or to hide a pleasant surprise from a friend. But you mustn't ever deceive yourself. Now, think it over, and ask yourself—is everything perfect? Or just... tolerable? You don't need to answer me, and I think you already know the answer yourself, anyway." I sighed and lay back on my bed, and she lay next to me, snuggled up close on the narrow bed, looking thoughtful.

"Sometimes we fool ourselves into thinking everything is perfect simply because we want so much to believe it—maybe because it's easier to believe things are fine then to confront reality. But then we aren't really seeing things as they are—we're putting blinders on, ignoring the truth, oblivious to how others may be feeling. And that's not a tenable situation for any involved."

She looked into my eyes, startled and distressed. "Does that mean that you and Dylas are suffering? That our situation is making you both miserable?"

I smiled at her, saying, "No. I don't mean that. I... was thinking more of... of a different set of circumstances." She still looked worried, so I stroked her soft, silky hair. "Honest—I wasn't talking about you or the three of us. Just... just something I remembered. Although it's still not bad advice."

"Maybe... but still, you asked me if things were really perfect, or if I was deceiving myself. And I guess the answer to that is no—not exactly—on both counts. But... sometimes the truth is not merely unpleasant but unbearable, and deception is simply a type of armor. Don't you think?"

"Perhaps." I gave her a kiss on her forehead. "Am I to take it, then, given that you're now lying in bed with me, that you did not give him a favorable response?"

She snorted. "Not the one he hoped for, if that's what you mean. I do love him... I-I really do. But... I don't want to marry him, because then that would mean losing you. And that would be unbearable."

I held her tightly then, relief washing over me in soothing waves, and we lay there, the two of us, thinking our private thoughts in the pleasure of each other's company.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8K 92 73
Amber Smith is a young assassin abandoned by her mother and feared by her pack. Her heart frozen by her cold-hearted mother as made it hard for her t...
210K 4.4K 47
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
719 55 9
"Please, can't I come with you?" All you wanted was to spend the summer with your friends-NOT to be stuck in a small town far from any civilization...