World Burn ⋆ Kaz Brekker ✓

By ravkas

My existence is a crime.    ━━━━━ SIX OF CROWS    cover by ryloths © emma, 2023. More

Introduction: World Burn
   Graphic Gallery
   Tweets
   ACT 𝖎: No Mourners
𝖎. Bleeding Wounds
𝖎𝖎. Jurda Parem
𝖎𝖎𝖎. Uncaged Animals
𝖎𝖛. The Ferolind
𝖛. Crucifixtion
𝖛𝖎. Serpent Girl
𝖛𝖎𝖎𝖎. Proper Thieves
   ACT 𝖎𝖎: No Funerals
𝖎𝖝. Gamble Away
𝖝. Spring Rain
𝖝𝖎. Safety Net
𝖝𝖎𝖎. Cradle It
𝖝𝖎𝖎𝖎. The Crows
𝖝𝖎𝖛. Graceless
𝖝𝖛. Deaths Call
𝖝𝖛𝖎. The Bastard
   Epilogue

𝖛𝖎𝖎. Daydream

1.5K 53 20
By ravkas

chapter seven.               ice court, fjerda

 Her crime was existing.

 Aria Antonov was forever a convict just for being born, and now she was paying for it. She was settled into the corner of a cold room, barely recognizable with the way the female guard had beaten her. She'd been figured out for not being part of the Menagerie, and now she was thrown into a room with no windows, the door bolted shut. Her knees had been drawn to her chest, arms on her kneecaps. Aria felt the guilt of existence, the burden of the worlds hatred beating down on her shoulders. She was a mistake, perhaps. Everyone made sure she knew of that. She tried and tried to get away from it, but it never left her. This was forever her crime, and she'd be forever ridiculed of it. No matter if Ravka rebuilt itself, it didn't change the blackened hearts of the drüskelle or other people who discriminated against the people born with the skill of small science. Aria allowed herself to cry in the corner. She felt pathetic.

She was tasked with one simple job, get information, and she couldn't even get that right. Now, Nina was on her own. Aria wasn't one to rely on, she felt like always managed to mess it up. Aria readjusted her spot and winced in pain, feeling the stinging in her ribs where the guard had gotten the drop on her with the end of rifle. Dark thoughts plagued her mind as she sat in the silence. She wouldn't blame her friends if they left her behind to rot in a cell in the Ice Court. Perhaps she was better off there. Aria rested her head against the wall and stared around the room. It was featureless, it looked to be an empty office. There was barely anything in it. Aria pushed herself off the floor and stumbled to the barren desk. She began to fumble with drawers. The middle one was locked, but, Kaz Brekker didn't leave her without any tricks.

Aria pulled the pins from her hair and crouched down, she slid them into the lock and fiddled with it for a moment before the lock turned. She gave a satisfying smile. Aria dug through it, not finding much but letter openers, envelopes, watches. Then, she saw them. A flint wheel lighter. Her heart stuttered at the sight. Aria tucked the letter opener into her hair and walked to the door. She took a deep breath, wiping her tear stained cheeks. Aria flicked the lighter open and drew the screw from it, a fire on the end of it. She smiled, and took it into her hand. She made it bigger and bigger until the room gleamed orange. Aria drew her hand back and burst the door down, it caught fire and began to burn. Aria stood frozen, in awe of her own work. She wore and smile and stepped out. Guards began to rush down the hallway, guns raised.

Then, a shot rang from beside her. Kaz Brekker appeared at her side. "Just in time!" She grinned, grabbing one the soldiers and lodgings the letter opener in his neck. She burned another, watching as Kaz began to shoot one. When they stood in a quiet hallway surrounded by bodies, Aria found Kaz's gaze.

"What happened?" He asked, limping to her. He felt utterly closer than usual.

"They found out I wasn't with the Menagerie."

Kaz's fingers ghosted over her face, just as hers had over his earlier. "Nina can fix this."

"My face? How rude."

Kaz shook his head. "Let's go," he seized her wrist and they began to run.

────────────────

 Aria was in a daydream. Or a nightmare.  

 She could vaguely feel the cold bitter water coarse over her skin and through her lungs, and how her body thrashed throughout the river. Her baleen allowed her to keep air for ten minutes, but she'd panicked far too much and now she was nearly drowning. But all she could was the warm sun on her golden skin, and the fading feeling the baleen finally dissolving into nothing. The sea salt and ocean spray graced her skin as she stood aboard the Ferolind, eyes shut in content. Her hair was down and her blouse exposed her carved collarbones, the sleeves rolled up to exposed her tattoo. In her dream, the branding wasn't there. Life had been...good. She could see someone beside her, a blurred face. It was Kaz, she knew it was. The ocean was blue around them but all she could focus on was that warm sun. Nothing else really mattered.

Aria saw the outline of Ketterdam, a light blanket drawn around her shoulders. It was colder tonight, but she perched on the roof of the Slat. Jesper sat beside her, head on her shoulder. It had been a particularly hard job, Jesper had come home silent. Aria had found him up on the roof alone, not even with his guns. The two had just sat in silence.

Inej—beautiful Inej. She saw those spring days when they stalked the streets of Ketterdam together across rooftops and gabled housetops. She saw the breeze through Inej's braid and the sun shined so beautifully against the girls bronze skin. She missed Inej. Where was she?

When Aria opened her eyes, she saw no sun. Her breath came out in labored puffs, and her hair was beginning to freeze. Her body shook relentlessly and water came from her throat without warning. Aria rolled on her stomach, throwing up water. The moon hung above her. There was no sun. Her teeth chattered as she willed herself to sit up, trying to find out where she was. Little ways over, Matthias and Nina, and the son of Yul-Bayur, Kuwei sat over a different body. Kaz.

Nina pushed down on Kaz's chest and breathed into his mouth. Despite her tired body, Aria pushed towards them. She threw herself to the ground beside them, eyes wide with terror. "Kaz. Kaz, no." Aria began to cry, but not allowing the tears to pour over. She had shed enough tears today. Kaz Brekker would not die today.

"Will he live?" Kuwei asked.

Nina didn't respond, just continuing the compressions. When Kaz raised his hands, the first thing they did was shove Nina away. He turned on his side and water spewed from his mouth. "Saints," Aria cried, hand on her heart.

"Get away from me. Don't touch me." Kaz breathed, rubbing a gloved hand over his mouth. His eyes were unfocused, like he wasn't even actually there.

"You're in shock, demjin. You almost drowned. You should have drowned." Said Matthias.

Kaz coughed more water up, then he shuddered. "Drowned." He repeated.

Nina nodded. "Ice Court, remember? Impossible heist? Near death? Three million kruge waiting for in Ketterdam?"

"Four million." Kaz corrected, his eyes focusing in on them. He looked up the moon, and then to the others. "We made it. Djel performs miracles."

Matthias shook his head. "You don't deserve miracles. You desecrated the sacred ash."

Kaz pushed himself off the ground and stumbled before drawing in another shaky breath. "It's a symbol, Helvar. If your god is so delicate, maybe you should get a new one. Let's get out of here."

Nina threw up her hands in frustration. "You're welcome, you ungrateful wretch."

Kaz looked back to her. "I'll thank you when we're aboard the Ferolind. Move." Kaz said as he began to drag himself up the boulders that lined the far side of the gorge they were in. "You can explain why our illustrious Shu scientist looks like one of Wylan's school pals along the way."

Aria felt she had never been so exhausted before. The river had taken a toll on her, along with the beating from the guard she took earlier. But, she continued in Kaz's footsteps. A rumbling came from the distance.

"Please let that be Jesper." Nina said.

"Whatever it is, it's big." Matthias noted.

"What do we do, Kaz?" Aria asked.

Kaz furrowed his brow. "Wait."

Nina gaped. "How about take cover? Or have heart? Or I stashed twenty rifles in this convenient shrubbery. Give us something."

"How about a few million kruge?"

A tank rumbled over the hill. Two people were waving wildly from its gun turret. Aria tried to squint to see who it was. She could barely tell. She heard the voices of Inej and Wylan. Aria could've cried. Nina let out a victorious yell, and Matthias stared in disbelief. Aria looked to Kaz, and she couldn't quite believe her eyes. "Saints, Kaz. You actually look happy."

"Don't be ridiculous." Kaz snapped. Aria knew there was no mistaking it. Kaz Brekker was grinning like a idiot.

Aria wasted no time climbing onto the tank beside Wylan, bringing him into a bone crushing hug. "I've never been happier to see you, Wylan."

"I could say the same. Hold on!"

The tank rumbled on towards the harbor. Aria wore a grin, laughing as Inej stuck her head out of the hole. Aria waved to her and grabbed her hand, Inej smiled brightly. "Saints, I'm glad you're okay, Inej."

Inej nodded. "I'm glad, too!"

When Aria began to smell the sea, her head tipped back with content. Her eyes fluttered shut. It was a better smell than anything. In just two blocks they'd be bound for home—for four million kruge. And waffles with apple syrup. For her warm bed at the Slat. Aria couldn't wait. She couldn't even wait to be on the boat, either. To be rocked to sleep by the swaying of the ship, to be sprayed by the sea first thing in the morning. It was going to be heaven.

When Nina yelled, the reality hit her. In what was supposed to be a desolate area, abandoned at midnight, it was full to the brim with troops of hundreds of soldiers—every gun was pointed at them.

"What is this?" Wylan asked.

"They must have changed deployment procedure. I've never seen Black Protocol engaged." Matthias said.

They all jumped as a loud voice spoke in first Fjerdan, then Ravkan, then Kerch, and finally in Shu. Release the prisoner Kuwei Yul-Bo. Put down your weapons and step away from the tank.

"They can't just open fire. They won't risk hurting Kuwei." Matthias said.

"They don't have to. Look," Nina pointed.

A Heartrender bound in front of the troops. No doubt he was on jurda parem, he mumbled to himself and jittered like he was insane. He probably was.

"I can see the Ferolind." Aria murmured.

"Kaz?" Jesper called from inside the tank. "This would be a really good time to say you saw this coming."

Kaz sucked in a breath. "I didn't see this coming." He shook his head. "You told me one day I'd run out of tricks, Helvar. Looks like you were right."

"I've had my fill of captivity. They won't take me alive." Inej said.

Wylan nodded in agreement. "Me neither."

Aria was silent, but nodded.

Jesper snorted from inside the tank. "We really need to get him more suitable friends."

Aria stifled a laugh.

"Better to go out with fists swinging than let some Fjerdan put us on a pike." Kaz said.

Matthias nodded. "Then we agree. We end this here."

"No." Came from Nina. They all turned to her. She turned to Kuwei and spoke to him, but all he did was sputter and shake his head. Aria could only understand a few words—she didn't learn much Shu growing up, only Ravkan and Kerch. When Kuwei pulled a little leather pouch from his pocket, that's when they all knew. Matthias went to grab for it, but Nina was quicker.

"Nina, don't be stupid. You've seen—" Inej tried to reason.

"Some people don't get addicted the first dose."

Aria stepped forward. "This isn't—"

"Kaz is out of tricks! But I'm not."

They all watched in horror as she tipped the dose into her mouth. Seconds passed and she saw Nina's eyes dilate. Matthias reached for her, but Nina shoved him aside. "Move."

They watched as she marched forward.

emma / 2023
edited: 05/22/23

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

113K 3.6K 24
when it feels like i'm lost at sea, you're the song i sing again and again ╱ SIX OF CROWS TO CROOKED KINGDOM.
4.2K 63 24
✨Completed! ✨ Six of Crows AU: Set after Crooked Kingdom. The Crows are all still together. Matthias isn't dead, and they are all still working toget...
4.2K 187 30
In which The Phantom realises he has fallen head over heels for the Wraith [Six of Crows book based]
241K 12.8K 57
˖⋆࿐໋₊𝕬𝖗𝖘𝖔𝖓𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖘 𝕷𝖚𝖑𝖑𝖆𝖇𝖞 ARSONISTS LULLABY. (l.) all you have is your fire and the place you need to r...