Hawthorne

By melvauthor

Camila has lived and worked all her life in Hawthorne Manorhouse. It's all she's ever known along with the ki... More

HAWTHORNE - Introduction
Prologue - Break-Down
1 - Last Goodbye
2 - Duties
3 - Heir
4 - Moving in
6 - Family dinner
7 - Eat
8 - Letter
9 - Succumb
10 - Deal
11- Realization
12 - First time
13 - Brotherly
14 - On your knees
15 - Bend over
16 - Royal Baby
17 - We're better off
18 - Calm to my storm
19 - Friends and Allies
20 - Feels too right
21 - Picnic
22 - Not bogeyman
23 -Invitation
24 -Official Duties
25 - College Reunion
26 - Crazy
27 - Cherishing
28- Hawthorne's Tribute Lunch
29 - Unexpected Guests
30 - London
31 - Early Christmas Gift
32 - New Year's Ball
33 - I'll find a way
34 - The truth
35 - I love you
36 - No way out
37 - Beginning of the end
38 - Shattered
39 - Lawyer up
40 - Recognition
41 - Free but at what cost?
42 - Chance
43 - Coronation
44 - Loyalty
45 - One last dance
46 - No
47 - Everything but that
48 - No charity case
49 - By the end of the Night
Epilogue

5 - Late nights

3K 117 50
By melvauthor

Camilla White

That woman was awful today.

Now, I know why Mrs Elizabeth couldn't stand her. 

Honestly, the Duke was composed and polite in comparison to his mother. Which is weird right? Usually, people take after their parents and he could have been just like his mother, but I guess he took after his father instead.

The late Duke was always kind to me when back when I was a kid, just as his son was. He's not mean to me now but he's retreated into a cold and closed off man, far away from the reality I was used to when we used to play together in the gardens of the Manor.

His soft features hardened into those of a strong man, even his gaze had changed but it still threw me off every time we locked eyes. They have been haunting me ever since I've seen him at the memorial, even more, after the Will reading and my mind has been reeling out of control since he arrived today.

His stance is dominant, confident and even though he always wears a serious expression he is kind. I've seen him be kind in the past, and I've seen it today when he cut his mom from her evil antics. That draws me in even more.

It draws me to a black hole because there's no way in hell anything good can come out of this pull that I feel.

I am a fly in his world, nothing but a mere servant and here I am letting my mind go wild with memories and thoughts of him. I need to get a grip but the fact that he is here, in the same house as me, throws me off completely. Makes it so much harder for me.

We're both physically close to each other and yet so far away. We share the space in the same house but we live worlds apart. 

The thought tugs at my heart, making me frown at myself in the dimly lit bedroom. I barely know this man but I can't seem to get him out of my head. Not for one goddamned minute.

Woof, Woof.

I turn to the side and squint my eyes to make out Primrose's silhouette in the corner of the room.

Woof, Woof.

She moves from her bed and I stand right away, scooping her into my arms and rushing outside to the orchard through the kitchen, to let her do her business.

The Duchess had been adamant to get a dog, even if she was already quite debilitated when she decided so, she said they made people healthier by keeping them company and giving them love. 

Now, I take it as a hidden plea for me to have something that still links me to her and my family, even after she left. And for that I am grateful. But sweet Primrose is still young, five months old, and still can't endure a full night without needing to go outside.

At least, she is a smartypants and started to ask to go outside. I didn't even need to teach her, it was automatic for her, associating going outside to doing her business. 

It's been helpful at the moment though, because it helps me keep her a secret and diminish the chances that she'll be taken away from me or that I'll be forced to choose between staying at the Manor or getting rid of her.

"Come one girl, be quick, we don't want anyone to see us," I whisper.

I am being silly, it's two in the morning and surely everyone's asleep but since it's the Duke's first night and I still don't know what his schedules are, it's better safe than sorry.

In a matter of ten minutes, Primrose is ready and starts to tease me, looking for some fun but unfortunately, I have to hush her when she lets out a couple of barks. Crouching down to her, she jumps onto my arms and I start to give her belly a few rubs.

"You silly girl," I coo as I open the kitchen door with her tucked on my side. "How much longer will you wake me up in the middle of the night for this?" 

A clear of throat startles me and I stumble back upon seeing the Duke casually leaning back against the kitchen sink. My foot gets caught on something I wasn't even aware of and I lose balance, falling backwards and clutching Primrose for dear life, flush against my chest.

I close my eyes as I prepare for impact but it never comes. Instead, strong and warm hands grasp my waist, sending me goosebumps all over. Sparks fly around me and even though I can't see them because I still have my eyes shut, I know because I am feeling them prickling at my skin.

A ragged breath hits my face and I slowly open my eyes.

After a couple of blinks, I exhale shakily under his piercing gaze. Heat creeps up my body, creating a small coat of sweat to gather above my eyebrow. We're frozen, lost in the moment, in each other's eyes. And even with the dim light, I can spot the golden specks that are spread around his pupils, making his eyes seem a lighter colour of brown than it usually is.

Slowly they dilate, robbing the irises of their space and another wave of goosebumps covers my skin as his head dips down, almost touching my skin. With his lips inches away from mine. 

I should be putting some distance between us but I can't. My body reacts with a mind of its own ever since I've laid eyes on him for the first time after all of those years. His proximity clouds my judgement every single time and I can't seem to move away.

It's like he intoxicates me with just the sight, scent or touch of him.

Then, a small cry breaks me out of my daze and we both look down at the same time, watching as an overly eager Primrose wags her tail and pushes her front paws on my arms, propelling her head taller, to get a whiff of the Duke. 

My eyes widen when I notice her inching even closer and go to divert her but it's too late. Her sloppy and humid tongue rolls out, licking the Duke's cheek, and leaving a path of drool behind. 

I gasp in horror and jump out of his hold at the same time the Duke's breath hitches and his face morphs into an expression of shock.

"Your Grace, I am so so sorry," I apologize frantically. "She's still a baby, she was the Duchess' dog and she gets overly excited when she meets new people. I am sorry, I promise I'll teach her better." 

Then the unexpected happens.

The Duke lets out this deep and strong laughter and doubles over his stomach.

I'm rooted to the spot, in shock, watching as his laughter feels the silence around us. This is not the reaction I was expecting from him. I was expecting annoyance, even anger or some kind of dismissive behaviour but he's laughing. Why the hell is he laughing?

"Of course you had to have a cute dog," He wheezes between laughter and I can see he's trying to calm down.

"I'm sorry she's just very loving and loves to give a few kisses," I blush embarrassed when he finally looks back at me with a side-smile, popping out a dimple on his left cheek. "I will make sure she doesn't bother you, Sir, I'll keep her outside and in my room only."

"It's okay." He tells me. "Is she yours?" he asks.

"It is now, but she was the Duchess'," I mumble.

"She's cute, what breed is it?" 

"A cocker Spaniel, Your Grace." 

"I see, she seems smart though," he comments.

"She is, she already asks to go outside and to eat and she never does anything inside. She's just a cuddler type of dog, she loves to give some love. " I say with a shy smile and blushing cheeks.

Sensing his eyes still on me, I bring my attention back to him with a gulp. This man's eyes are too intense, too powerful for me not to look away.

"Will I have to get rid of her?" I dare ask after an uncomfortable silence.

Looking back up from a sleepy Primrose on my arms up to the Duke's, I notice a frown forming on his handsome face.

"Why would you have to get rid of her?" 

My mouth falls agape at his confusion.

"I thought Your Grace wouldn't..." I stop myself, searching for words. "Wouldn't want her around," I mumble.

"I don't mind, as long as she doesn't destroy anything that is mine," he shrugs.

"Are you sure, Y-your Grace?" I can't help but stutter.

"Yes, Camilla," He concludes but I can still detach the husky tone in his voice. 

"Thank you, Your Grace," I bow my head, bringing Primrose even close to me and kissing her head softly.

She squirms but doesn't wake up and I can't help the content smile that widens on my face. At least I'll still have something keeping my bond to the Duchess alive. 

After a few cuddles and kisses, I realize I forgot I had company. The Duke has his hand tucked in the pockets of a pair of grey sweatpants and I gulp. 

I would never think a Duke would wear sweatpants.

My eyes rake his body, from the bottom to the top, lingering on his shirtless torso, a marvellous sight that I've been purposely ignoring until now. When our eyes meet again once again, something in my chest flutters. His gaze is always intense and piercing but this time, they're conveying something more. 

Something I can't quite place, but that I am sure I am no stranger to.

It's soft and it's rooted deep inside of us and searching for space to grow.

Then, the Duke clears his throat, breaking the moment and making me blush furiously.

"It's late,"  he comments. "We probably should go to bed." 

His body pushes itself from the place he was, leaning against the island counter and turns in direction of the long hall that connects the kitchen to the main division and the big staircase.

 I do the same and turn in direction of the staff's corridor, where my bedroom is located. Just before we both leave the kitchen, I speak: "Good night, Your Grace." My voice comes out shaky, showing just how much he affects me.

The sound of his footsteps halts, making me inhale sharply, but he doesn't speak.

At least not until I cross to the corridor and hear a barely audible mumble:

"Goodnight Little Mila."

👑 A u t h o r ' s N o t e 👑

Jesus, I was struggling to finish this chapter. It's not right there yet but well, it's something. Hope you liked it! You didn't think I'd make them go all-in on the 5th chapter, did you? I mean, this will be HOT, I assure you but... I need foundations and a minimum acceptable realistic development.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

482K 13.4K 26
Growing up in foster care her entire life, Olivia had no family or friends. She was abandoned by the dumpster when she was only an infant. Homeless...
4.7M 65.3K 28
[18+ Only, Mature Conent] * * "We shouldn't be doing this...." I moan against his lips as my hands tug at the zipper of his pants. "I know." His dee...
19.6K 1.1K 42
Lucian Night has been burned badly by the one he loved. The Betrayal hurt him deeply. But his broken heart still loves one and only Violet. He had be...
236K 6.9K 46
Imagine being awakened in the night and blindfolded then tied to your bed. Your body being ravaged in the dark by unseen hands and lips. Having your...