Started With a Lie

By hellovirgo

[Watty's 2015 Winner] one lie. one fake relationship. one million problems. © 2016 Virgo Rose Edwards. trail... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Once Upon Now
VOTING ENDS TOMORROW
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
EPISODE ANNOUNCEMENT!!
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One

Chapter Eight

1.2M 26.7K 12.8K
By hellovirgo

Started With a Lie – Chapter Eight

It’s been a while. It’s been a long while. I haven’t seen Lee for weeks now. I’ve gotten back from New York City and everything is back to normal. It’s almost boring. But, I shouldn’t say that and risk jinxing things. Today’s the last day before winter break. Winter came so fast this year.

            I rest my chin on my palm and watch my biology teacher write notes on the board we’re supposed to copy. Mrs. Tee is, of course, the only teacher who would treat the last day before break like any other day. All the other teachers gave us a free period, but not Mrs. Tee.

            Scribbling down the notes, I hear the watch on my left hand ticking. Ever since I got back, I’ve been so dull. Lifeless. I didn’t even care about Karen or Peter—a first in my book. I don’t know why.

            “Okay, class!” Mrs. Tee yells, setting the marker down from the board. “That’s all for today. Good job on the notes. Be safe during the break.” The bell starts ringing and everyone shuffles out of his or her seats.

            I pack up slowly and walk into the crowded hallway. Everyone is either smiling or laughing, eager for winter break. I guess I’m eager, too. I don’t have to talk to anyone for one and a half weeks. I get to my locker, dump my books in, and swing my backpack over my shoulder before finding Candy.

            “Oh, hey Ivory,” she greets me when I get to her. “It’s finally winter break! You want to go shopping later?”

            I’m not really in the mood. I’m never in the mood.

            “Uh, sorry, not today.” I give an apologetic smile. “How about tomorrow or something? We could meet up, go watch a movie or something.”

            Candy nods. “That sounds great.”

            We head outside and tighten our jackets for the freezing temperature. Early snow is falling gently from the air. I feel some snowflakes land on my hair. People are getting into their cars and pulling out of school. I have to keep in mind to be careful of the slippery roads.

            I hate winter.

            Most people love it—the hot chocolate, the piles and piles of snow, and snuggling with their loved ones. I hate it. Yeah, those things sound great, but what about waking up early just to walk outside in the freezing weather just to clean up your car and shovel the driveway?

            Maybe, I was just a bitter person. I wrap my scarf around my neck to protect myself from the cold. I definitely don’t want to be sick over break.

            Not that it matters.

            “I’ll see you later, then?” Candy smiles. Her brown hair is in a side braid around her neck. Candy’s face seems to be glowing. And then I realize it. I didn’t even think about my best friend. I was indulged in my own problems that I pushed my own best friend out. I haven’t even asked her about Kevin—her boyfriend. I’m a horrible friend.

            “Wait, Candy,” I say, grabbing her elbow before she leaves.    

            “Yeah?” she says.

            “Maybe you could come over later and we could watch Mean Girls over again?” I suggest. It isn’t fair for Candy—who’s always been there for me—for me to just be there for her when I need her.

            “I’d love to,” Candy grins. We hug before she goes off to her car and I go to mine. I almost slip two times while I trudge through the parking lot and into my Honda. Blasting the heat up to the highest it can go, I rub my hands together for warmth. Once again, I hate winter.

            I arrive home in twenty minutes—slower than usual because I take my time on the roads. A car accident would be horrible. After parking my car in the garage, I pick up the mail and get inside. “Mom! I’m home.”

            No response.

            Mom is probably working in the studio. I head up to my room and throw my backpack in the far corner of the room. I’ll get to homework later. I fire up the computer while I change into sweatpants and a thick sweater. Curling up in the chair, I check trending topics: Lee Richardson scores another deal. Lee Richardson nominated as one of the world’s richest. A truck hits Justin Bieber.

            Lee’s everywhere. I can’t even flip on the TV without him there. Not even magazines or the radio. He’s on the Internet everywhere, too.

            I scroll over to the second trending topic. The page loads and I see Lee. He’s standing with his hands in his pockets and a drool-worthy smirk on his face. He looks great. I’m glad my actions didn’t hurt his reputation. Almost nobody even brings up it anymore.

            Karen shuts up because she lost. I proved to her Lee was my boyfriend so she hasn’t talked to me since. She doesn’t want to face the embarrassment that for once I had something or someone better than her. It must be driving her nuts.

            Peter has been trying to talk to me: phone calls and texts. He keeps asking if I were actually together with Lee, how’d we fall in love, etc. It’s almost like he’s an annoying reporter.

            I smirk. 

            I never thought to see the day where I’d think Peter—the guy I was “madly in love with”—to be annoying to me. I’m changing.  I can feel it.

            “Oh, Ivory, you’re home.” Mom’s head sticks out at the door. “I was at the supermarket. Listen, I got some groceries—want to help me unpack?”

            I nod and follow her to the kitchen. I grab the groceries and place them wherever they belong. Mom puts away the rest while I make us some hot chocolate. I put marshmallows into our hot chocolates and sprinkle some cinnamon onto mine. Mom doesn’t like cinnamon, but Dad did. We used to always sit by the fireplace and drink hot chocolate together. Another reason why I hate winter—it brings back too many hurtful memories.

            I set Mom’s cup down in front of her. “Thanks.”

            “No problem,” I smile. I take a seat next to her. “The weather’s getting really bad out, isn’t it?”

            “Yes, it is,” Mom replies, taking a sip from her cup. “I hear there’s going to be a storm, soon.” I nod in acknowledgement. “So, where’s Candy these days? I haven’t seen her around for a while.”

            “She’s coming over tonight,” I say, “if that’s okay with you.”

            “Of course, it’s okay,” Mom smiles. “Candy’s like second family. She’s always welcomed here. Just make sure she’s careful of the weather. I don’t want anything to happen while she tries to get here in the storm.”

            “Alright,” I say, smiling. I take a sip of my hot chocolate.

            “Speaking of which, I have a gallery show tomorrow,” she tells me. “It’s in New York City.” I wince. “I’m leaving tomorrow just before the storm hits. I’ll be gone for a couple of days. I need to go to many exhibits. Are you okay staying here alone?”

            “It’s fine. I’m used to it.” I give her a reassuring smile. “I’ll just hang out with Candy or something.” I drink the rest of my hot chocolate and wipe my mouth with my sleeve. “I’ll go work on some homework, now.”

            “Okay, sweetie.” Mom gives me tender look. “Don’t work too hard.”

            I place my cup in the sink. “Right back at you.”

Candy comes over around seven. She brings bags of popcorn and her sleeping bag. Mom said it was okay if she stayed over for the night since it’s winter break. There’s no curfew.

            We’re in my room deciding which movie we should watch over from my stack of DVDs. Her sleeping bag is set near my bed and she’s in her Mickey Mouse pajamas. Maybe a girls’ night is what I need to relax.

            My phone rings, bringing me out of my thoughts.

            The caller I.D. says unknown. I don’t know if I should accept or decline the call. What if it’s some creep? Candy sends me a confused look when I don’t answer it. It’s probably one of those companies calling, anyways.

            “Probably some stupid advertisement,” I say as I go back to the stack of movies. Candy nods in comprehension. My phone rings again. Usually, companies don’t call twice. It must be somebody, then. What if it’s Peter using a different number to call me? It could also be an emergency call.

            Not taking any chances, I pick up. “Hello?”

            “Miss Ivory.” My eyes widen. It’s Lee. I can tell. I look over to Candy and mouth that it’s Lee. Her eyes widen as well as she scoots closer so she can hear. I put the call on speaker.

            “Yes, Lee?” I remain cool. I can’t give away anything by my voice. He can’t know that I actually, kind of, missed him—if that’s possible. I only met him once. I can’t miss someone who I’ve only met. Impossible, I think logically.

            “How are you doing?” Lee asks, his voice completely unreadable. Did he really just call me to ask how I was doing? Something inside me lightens up. Does he care about me? “I need a favor.”

            I shatter. There goes that thought.

            He only called me for a favor. Not for me. It feels like a flower just bloomed inside me but just withered away in the blink of an eye. Must be the stress. “So?” I say to him.

            “Can you oblige?”

            “It depends,” I say. “What’s the favor?” Candy moves her hands, indicating me to keep the conversation going with Lee. I nod back.

            “I need you.” My breath is taken away for one second before realizing that he needs me for his favor. I fix my composure. I need to stay completely in control at all times. “Ivory?”

            “I’m here.” I sit down on my bed. Candy takes a seat next to me. “What do you need me for?” Now, I’m curious. Lee even said himself that I could never give him anything because he is rich and can afford everything he needs by himself. So, why does he need me now?

            “You know the night of the party?” he asks. I nod, even though he can’t see me. “There were very important business partners who attended. I’m currently in a deal with them right now. But there’s been a problem.”   

            “Why would you need me to help you in a deal?” I ask, confused.

            “You see, they think you and I are together. They are asking to meet you. It seems you remind them of their daughter,” he explains. “Now, here’s what I need you to do. You need to come here and tell them that we broke up or something. Just tell them we’re not together anymore.”

            “I don’t understand,” I say. “Why can’t you do it? I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t make a difference if you said it.” I cross my legs on the bed and sit comfortably.

            “You don’t get it. They wouldn’t listen. Besides, I’m Lee Richardson. I can’t just say such nonsense things like that,” he says.

            “So it’s your pride?” I smirk. What a jerk.

            “Well… yes.” Lee pauses, waiting for my response. “Can you do it? You owe me. I gave you shelter and your needs. It’s time to help me. You’ll meet them at my birthday banquet in two days. You’ll have to leave tomorrow so we can discuss some things.”

            “I don’t know,” I say, chewing on my nails. I notice and put my hand down to keep myself from biting my nails. Should I go? Should I help Lee? “I really don’t know, Lee.”

            And then he says one word. A word I never expect him to ever say to me sincerely. A word that makes my heart swell and forget my doubts.

            “Please.”

It's the weekend. Woot-woot. More time to write for me. c:

I can't believe I uploaded this today. I uploaded Chapter Seven just yesterday. I must be on crack. Just kidding. My fingers are freezing. I need some heat. Anyways, my laptop broke again. Boohoo. Thank God, I backed this story up,t hough. I seriously need a new laptop. 

OH! And thank you for Teen Fiction # 19 and Humor # 5. Wow. I still can't believe it. Thank you to all of my fans and readers! Please keep on commenting, voting, and fanning for more updates! 

xoxo,

Gossip Girl. (Justkidding. Just wanted to say that. xD)           

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

303 19 13
Can one kiss change everything? Are you a person who is really worth all the risks? Were you my wrong or right decision. I may have left you, but I n...
11.2K 1.4K 80
Do you what it feels like to get hurt by the one and only person you love and trust? Do you know the pain and suffering you go through because of it...
281 34 18
Evelyn is okay. She's at the top of her class, a Wattpad writer, and a rising star on YouTube. She's also a liar. Her parents fight all the time, bu...
1.7M 50.7K 37
She thought she lost herself in love, but in fact she was found. Copyright © 2016 by moonpilots. All rights reserved. {featured on the official wat...