Written in the Stars

By kayley_ulmer

In which Kit Knight finds herself trying to stifle feelings for her brother's best friend, who just so happen... More

Introduction
bonus: aesthetics
01: Oh, Brother
02: Dance With Me
03: Love Science
04: Code Breakers
05: Boyfriend
06: Beach Party
07: Date Night
09: Worldwide
10: Paralyzed
11: 2 Truths and a Lie
12: Contest
13: All Around the World
14: Super Moon
15: Double Dibs
16: Daddy Issues
17: Self-Titled Album
18: Exes and Uh-Ohs
19: Moment of Truth
20: Babysitters' Club
21: Gold Rush
22: Camping, Hollywood-Style
23: Puppy Love
24: Kit Gets Promoted
25: Scandal
26: Liar, Liar
27: Bonus
28: Prince Not-So-Charming & Robot Cinderella
29: Tour-Bus Logan
30: Pranks 2.0
31: The Return of Wagonie
32: The C in MCAT
33: Break Out
34: Dreams Do Come True
bonus: social media
Bonus: Sneakers
Bonus: Second Studio Album
Bonus: Songwriters
Bonus: Reality Stars
Bonus: Bad Boys
Bonus: s1 headcanons
Bonus: Moms

08: Kings and Queens

714 24 0
By kayley_ulmer

❝what a feeling to be a king beside you, somehow / i wish i could be there now❞

- what a feeling : one direction

Big Time Rush ran into the lobby unable to contain their excitement as they brought the other students of the Palm Woods School the good news. With the help of Rocque Records, they would be having their first-ever prom night on Friday.

James Diamond was on a mission to win Prom King. Kendall, however, felt just as confident that he and Jo would win the title. As the students began to race off to find gowns and suits for the event, the boys began to debate who would win. Kit glanced between the boys, eyebrows raised, as they began to bicker over the subject.

Kendall scoffed. "Well," he mocked. "You realize, your highness, that the longest dating couple is usually voted Prom King and Queen. And that's me and Jo."

He held his hands out, smirking. James did not let his friend knock his confidence. He merely tilted his head forwards at him, adding, "I'm not afraid of you"

Eager to defuse the tension, Logan jumped in:

"Unless, of course, the sentimental vote rules the night, which goes to the most liked person at the prom. And that would be Kit... And her date.."

Realizing that this, of course, would also be James, his voice trailed off. Logan grimaced, stepping back in line with Kendall. "Or Camille," he said, quietly.

Brushing past Logan's lame attempt to recover, James bragged: "Or, the 'hottest couple' vote, which would go to me and Kit, obviously."

Kit's cheeks flushed a pink at all the flattery she received from the boys. She pushed some of her hair from her face, not exactly used to all the attention. James pressed a soft kiss to her forehead, causing Kendall to gag.

"You might wanna bow now," he whispered to the other boys. Annoyed, the other three scoffed at him. Still disgusted, Kendall quipped, "I might wanna hit you now!"

"Wait a second," Kit turned to her brother. She tilted her head, knowing he must have forgotten about Monday night's missed curfew. "Uh, Kendall. Who's your Queen supposed to be? Your girlfriend, who's not allowed out of her apartment until after prom? That Jo?"

Carlos held his hands out to stop the ensuing fight. "Woah, woah," he spoke quickly. "Let's not forget the Underdog vote, given to the most unexpected couple at the prom. Which will be me and Jennifer!" Carlos placed his helmet onto his head, tapping it with a grin.

Kit's heart fell at this. The last thing she wanted was for any one of those girls to use her sweet Carlos again like they had at their first dance in Hollywood. Unsure, she asked him: "Which one?"

He shrugged. "Dunno yet."

Kit, not at all interested in whatever scheme he came up with to get a Jennifer to be his date, bid them goodbye. She went off to find herself a dress for the prom. From her peripheral vision, however, she caught a glimpse of Katie as she sidled up to Carlos and knew how he planned on securing that date.

Kendall's face fell as reality hit him. Missing curfew was an accident, but Mr. Taylor had no sympathy. He grabbed the bouquet of flowers which sat at the hotel lobby desk to give to his undoubtedly still unamused girlfriend. Logan pulled Kendall roughly by the arm. He was silent as he pulled him into the elevator and jammed this thumb into the '3' and 'close door' buttons.

"You've gotta win Prom King," Logan informed him. "Look, I can't let Kit and James win, okay? I know it's important to him, but it would kill me if she was his Queen. That's like being engaged to be engaged! I know she's your sister but I really like her and-"

"Logan," Kendall said, ending his rant before he spiraled too far. He put his hands on the boy's shoulders. "Relax, okay? Jo and I are the longest dating couple and we will beat James, because he is stupid"

The boy smirked. Logan relaxed somewhat, but he was still unsure.

"What about Jo? Isn't she grounded?"

"It's prom!"

Kendall held his hands out for emphasis. "I'm sure her Dad will understand and let her out early for it."

Logan said nothing, but crossed his arms over his chest. For his sake, he hoped that Kendall was right about this. He stepped off the elevator after Kendall, letting him lead the way to the Taylor's apartment.

Kendall knocked on the door to 3I, holding the bouquet in front of him. Logan stood behind him, playing soft music from his phone's speaker.

As Jo answered the door, Kendall broke into a wide grin. "Jo Taylor, half of the longest-dating couple at the Palm Woods, will you be my date to the prom?"

Sporting an awkward smile, Jo took a deep breath in. "No," she said, shaking her head.

"What! But, it's the prom! And we need to teach James and Kit a royal lesson!"

She glared at him, unamused. Logan paused his music, wincing, as he put his phone into his pocket. He shot Kendall a worried glance. Shrieking, he asked:

"What else are you doing on Friday?"

"Nothing," she snapped. "Because of what happened on Monday." she held her hands out in exasperation. Jo really didn't know how Kendall could forget.

Her father must have heard Kendall's voice as he stepped in front of his daughter, his hand blocking her from the doorway. Eyes wide as saucers, Kendall began to grovel.

"Mr. Taylor sir," he said. "So nice to-"

Deadpan, the man glared at him. "Ah, the curfew breaker." Mr. Taylor shoved his hands in his front pockets and offered him a forced smile. "Jo is grounded for the week and only allowed out of the apartment for work."

Kendall nodded. Carefully, he trudged forward. "Yes, sir," he said. "But this weekend is the prom, and I was wondering if we could—"

The door slammed in his face before Kendall could even get out his whole speech. Groaning, he turned to Logan. Eyebrows raised in annoyance, Logan crossed his arms over his chest.

"Well, genius," Kendall said. "What do we do now?"

A smirk fell over Logan's face as the idea came to him.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

An air of giddiness spread over the room as the girls helped each other dress up for the prom. Jo joined Camille and Kit via video chat, due to her current house arrest status, as Camille curled Kit's hair. She sifted through her makeup palettes until she came across the right shade of powder blue to match Kit's dress.

The dress hung on the back of Camille's closet door behind them. It was an elegant floor-length gown, complete with a plunging neckline and beading. Camille glanced at it for reference as she finished Kit's makeup look. Her eyeshadow matched the color of the dress perfectly and the flick to her eyeliner made the blue in her hazel eyes really pop. Camille stepped back to admire her work. From the phone, Jo squealed. She remarked that it almost made her look like a modern version of Cinderella.

A soft blush rose to Kit's cheeks as she swapped places with Camille. "Wait 'til you see Camille," she said, smirking. "Steve won't be able to keep his eyes off of her when I'm done"

The playful wink that Kit shot her friend caused Camille to blush. Although she initially felt unsure about dating Steve when she wasn't fully over Logan, she grew to really enjoy his company in the past few weeks since he first took her on a date to see Kiss & Tell. Kit and Jo were equally glad to see Camille happy again. Secretly, Kit felt relieved that it wasn't with Logan.

"Lemme see!"

Kit picked her phone up, trying to catch a glimpse of Jo before she had to sneak out of her room to meet Kendall. Her gold dress really brought out the dark undertones in her blonde hair, which was partially pulled up to the side. She looked beautiful. The other girls cooed at her, complimenting the look. "You look great," Camille grinned. Kit nodded in agreement.

"You look like a queen," she said jokingly. "You've got my vote... Just don't tell James"

Jo laughed at this. While she would love to win Prom Queen with Kendall as much as any other girl, all her focus went into pulling off her escape act. She would be more than happy just to be able to enjoy a few hours away with her boyfriend.

"I'll see you guys there, okay? I think Kendall's here"

As she hung up the phone, Kit finished her look with the dangling silver earrings she borrowed from her mother and her favorite star-shaped pendant necklace. With a deep breath, she waited for James to pick her up.

Kit couldn't help the summery smile that overtook her as she opened the door to greet her date. Standing in the hallway, James found himself speechless at the sight of her. Kit looked gorgeous in that dress and her eyes sparkled almost as much as the silver necklace around her neck. Butterflies nipped at his stomach lining as he slipped the corsage over her wrist.

"Wow," he breathed out. "You're stunning"

Blushing, she thanked him. "You look like a prince"

James frowned at this. Whining, he nudged her. "Hey!"

"Okay fine," she rolled her eyes playfully. "It's a look fit for a King."

This brought a large smile to the boy's face. She shook her head at him, bemused.

As per usual, James stood out from the other boys in his white suit. She smiled at him as she pinned the boutinier to his lapel.

He held out his hand for her take. "Shall we?"

Grinning, Kit clasped their hands together and let James lead her off to the Prom.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

James pulled Kit into him as the music slowed. Her hair spun around her with the movement, curls swinging softly. A few other students cheered them on as they danced.

From his spot by the ballot box, Logan groaned. He shot Kendall a venomous look. He and Jo had hardly moved from their table all night, and the votes would soon be counted. At this rate, he was afraid that James and Kit would be crowned and his heart would be broken. He marched over to Kendall, intent on urging him to at least get in one more good dance before voting closed. He wondered if maybe he should have helped Carlos, too, to decrease James's chances even further.

That seemed to be a lost cause, however, as he caught sight of the uncomfortable look on Carlos's face as Jennifer dragged him to dance with her and the unusual way in which she chose to dress herself for the biggest night of the year. He grimaced. The term 'Underdog vote' seemed more fitting than ever.

Too wrapped up in one another to notice any of the drama going on with their friends, James and Kit continued to twirl around on the dance floor. Kit liked the way her dress fanned out as James spun her. She laughed, coming to a standstill. Her hands snaked to his shoulders, hoping to steady herself. Kit leaned into him, resting her head against his chest. She flattened her chin against him, tilting her gaze up to meet his eyes. Just as he leaned in to kiss her, something distracted him.

Commotion from the dinner tables caught Kit's attention. She lifted her head from James's chest, gaping in the direction of the intruders. She lifted a finger, shocked.

"Is that-?"

She pointed towards the table where Kendall and Jo had been sitting. A team of men dressed in SWAT gear surrounded them. Kit presumed it was her father and the pair had been found out.

"Yep," James said, eyebrows raised.

Kit fought back a fit of giggles as she watched three men carry her brother out of the dancehall. She could hear his protests over the music.

Gustavo's voice interrupted the music. "Okay, it's time to announce Prom King and Queen!" This caused James to pull Kit to him, buzzing from her touch. He rested his chin atop her head as he waited for the announcement of King and Queen.

Another soft laugh escaped her as she watched Kendall pass the front of the crowd, screaming: "Wait, we didn't get to take our picture yet! Let me just take a picture first!" Logan followed closely behind, held by a man at each arms. He waved awkwardly to Kit and James as he passed by them. He attempted to plead with the men to give Kendall and Jo a chance to play King and Queen, to no avail.

James and Kit shared a look, laughing. She intertwined her fingers with James, hoping that at least one of her boys would have their dreams come true tonight. Something told her that Kendall and Jo wouldn't be able to stick around for their first dance if they won.

Gustavo's grin fell as his eyes followed Kendall across the room. Kelly sighed, whispering to him. The two conversed shortly, staring at the index cards in her hands. Kit smiled to herself, knowing that Kendall and Jo had likely won and that she had voted for them. "Okay, uh," Gustavo blinked awkwardly as yet another member of Big Time Rush made a scene with his date, the Jennifers angrily pursuing Carlos for making his date cry.

Kit had been so wrapped up in James that she hardly noticed anyone else's night fall apart.

"Our 2011 Prom King and Queen are James Diamond and Kit Knight!"

"Nothing Even Matters" played over the speakers, a spotlight falling over Kit and James as the other students stepped back, clapping. Their classmates whispered and cooed at the couple, happy for them. Camille shot her best friend a thumbs-up.

Logan relaxed in the agent's arms as he heard the announcement. He surrendered and allowed himself to be dragged off, knowing that at least now he wouldn't have to watch Kit and James officially be crowned King and Queen.

Kit couldn't seem to tear her gaze away from James's, however. Adoration shone in his hazel eyes as he looked down at her. She couldn't help but to laugh as he pulled out a matching crown for her, placing it onto her head. James refused to allow his Queen to wear some cheap cardboard crown. Kit wasn't really sure how he managed to hide that from her all night. Still, she appreciated the gesture.

"Well," she whispered. "Looks like those crowns came in handy, King James"

Kit giggled, staring up at him. His hands rested on her hips, swaying gently along to the music.

"I'm glad we won," he agreed. "But it doesn't really matter, because I'm here with the most amazing girl in the whole world and you'd be my Queen irregardless"

"That's not a word, James," she said with a soft giggle. James simply rolled his eyes at her.

"I'm serious, Kit," his somber expression caught her off guard. "You mean the world to me. I wouldn't want anyone else here by my side."

"James..." Her eyes softened. "Thank you." She wanted to return the sentiment, but couldn't exactly form the words. Kit couldn't bring herself to lie to him. She caught one look at Logan before he disappeared around the corner and the crestfallen look in his eyes shattered her façade.

James was her boyfriend for more than just the show now, so why was she still so hung up on Logan? It was easier to forget the truth with James so close to her and the scent of his cologne making her head spin.

She let him kiss her on the lips. Kit cupped his cheek in her hand, smiling into the embrace. She squeezed her eyes shut and willed the image of Logan's sad eyes away.

James beamed down at her as he milked the moment for all that it had to give. The night's theme song came to a close just as the thought crossed his mind. Nothing Even Mattered, so long as Kit stayed with him like this.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

As the CIA men dropped Kendall and Logan off in front of their apartment, he awkwardly bid his girlfriend goodbye. The two teens sulked inside in defeat. Kendall tugged at his tie, loosening it from his neck. He only just started to pout about his ruined date with Jo when Logan threw himself face-first onto the couch, whimpering.

Kendall frowned at his friend. He gently lifted Logan's head, placing a pillow under it to support his neck. The beginnings of an apology passed from him just as a loud noise drowned him out. Jumping at the sudden interruption, both boys turned to look at the intrusion.

A heavy thud crashed against the front door as Carlos dashed inside, shutting the Jennifers out. He leaned his back into the wood, arms stretched out across the door to help keep it closed. His dark eyes widened in fear as the three girls banged and yelled at him through the door. He winced, turning the lock to the door.

"Hey," said Carlos. He stepped away from the door, satisfied that the lock would keep the Jennifers out. Carlos came to stand before Logan. He crouched to sit facing him on the floor. Whatever disappointment he felt about the way his date with Jennifer shook out dissipated as soon as he saw Logan.

"How ya holdin' up, buddy?"

Logan merely groaned in response. Kendall and Carlos shared a worried glance.

"Sorry, Loganator," Kendall said.

"Still upset that James and Kit won King and Queen?"

Kendall thwacked him against the head. "Dude, come on," he groaned.

Carlos thought for a moment. He sat up straight as something occurred to him. He tapped the couch just above Logan's head. "You don't actually believe that being crowned Prom King and Queen is the same thing as being pre-engaged, do you? I mean, that's kinda stupid"

Kendall nodded. "Carlos is right," he agreed. "Kit and James might be dating now, but that doesn't mean they will be forever."

Logan sat up, mind racing. He titled his head. "That is true," he said. "Recent studies show that 96% of all first romances end in breakups."

This allowed him to perk up some. Once again, science came to his rescue. James was not Kit's first real boyfriend, but Kit was truly a fresh page for James in his playbook. This was the first time that Logan or any of them had seen James so serious about one girl. As far as Logan could tell, she truly was his first real romance. With this in mind, he felt emboldened by the likelihood that he had been worried for nothing.

"Okay, I'm better," Logan turned to Kendall. "I'm sorry you and Jo's first prom together got ruined."

"No, it's my fault," Kendall said. "I should have paid more attention to her curfew in the first place-"

Carlos jumped as another loud knock sounded at their door. Kendall gestured towards it. "Okay, what did you do to the Jennifers?"

Katie made an appearance in the living room, enticed to check out the drama as she heard the Jennifers shouts through the walls. She rubbed at her tired eyes and covered her hand as she yawned. She jabbed her finger towards the door, then vaguely pointed in their direction.

"Yeah," Katie chimed in. "You guys look pitiful. What happened?"

The three boys shared a look. Logan and Carlos laughed a bit as Kendall began to fill Katie in on their night. Her eyes widened as she listened. It didn't really surprise her that the boys made such rookie mistakes, but it was fun to watch them complain.

"Wait," she said. "So, who won Prom Queen and King, then? My money was on Jo and Kendall"

The answer seemed obvious, given who was missing from the group. Katie still wanted to hear the story right from the horse's mouth.

Kendall smirked at her remark. Carlos frowned, wishing people hadn't written him off so easily. Logan wrapped his arm reassuringly over his bud's shoulder. "I think you and Jennifer actually were in the top three." Perking up, Carlos leaned into his side. This news satisfied him.

"James and Kit did."

Logan stiffened slightly at this. Carlos nudged him, making a silly face to cheer him up. It drew a few laughs and a snicker from him. Katie glanced between the three of them. Disappointed with the lack of drama and certain that there would be no fight with the Jennifers, she said her goodnight and went to bed.

Sharing a look, the three boys gathered on the couch. Wallowing in their self-pity, they stuffed pretzels into their mouths as they passed the bowl of snacks between each other.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Carlos yelped as the door knob turned. He jumped behind the couch, fearful that the Jennifers had found their way inside. The movement caused the now-empty bowl that held their snacks to fly into the air. Logan caught it, setting it aside. Kendall patted his helmet to reassure him that it was safe to come out. Peeking his head out from behind the sofa, Carlos relaxed at the sight of James and Kit. The two of them were giddy off of their win and dripping with laughter.

As the apartment door shut behind them, Kit shot a confused look at the pouting trio of boys. James strolled over to them, sitting on the couch near Kendall.

Kit pulled the heels off of her feet, tossing them to the side. Her dress pooled at her feet without them, highlighting her short stature. She cocked an eyebrow at the sorry state of Kendall, Logan, and Carlos.

James and Kendall began to bicker playfully about whether James's win really counted if it was only because he and Jo had been taken out of the equation. Pointing dramatically to his crown, James insisted that it did.

Kit rolled her eyes at this. She ignored them. Instead, she pointed a finger at Logan, grinning. "I missed you tonight," she said, seating herself on the furniture between him and Carlos, who scooted over to let them have their moment. Logan smiled at this, but his heart felt heavy. His eyes lingered on the golden crown that rested atop her head. The tiara mocked him; it was a physical reminder that she belonged to James.

"You still owe me a dance, okay?"

"Okay," he said, laughing.

"Alright," she rose, bunching the fabric of her dress up to keep herself from tripping over it. "I'm gonna take this thing off, but we'll do something when I get back, okay?"

Logan simply nodded. His heart ached as he tried to look at anything other than Kit. The sound of her voice made that difficult.

"Oh," Kit pivoted back to face Logan. "Before I forget, you forgot to take these."

Loose curls were falling out of the braided part of her up-do and the crown was now a bit crooked on her head, but Logan hardly noticed any of that. All her gravitational pull brought him in awe at her starry eyes and infatuated with the sound of her laugh. He raised his eyebrows expectantly. He got so caught up in all the drama with Mr. Taylor, the apparent CIA Agent, that the photos he took when they first arrived at prom totally slipped his mind.

Logan stared at the photo booth strip as she placed it into his open palm. His heart flipped. The first picture was about as normal as it got with them. She and Logan sat on the stools provided in the photo booth, both smiling for a simple photograph. In the second, Kit's arms were slung around his neck, her eyes scrunched in laughter, and that smile he loved so very much took over her face. Carlos jumped in for the last photo, squishing the two of them closer together, and pulling another genuine grin from her. Both boys pressed kisses to her cheeks just as the camera clicked for the third and final photo. Already, these were his favorite pictures of them ever taken.

Kit tacked her own copy of the photo strip to her bedroom wall, right beside another of her and Kendall from their 16th birthday and a Polaroid that James took of the two of them on their first fake date. She stepped back to admire her work.

Relishing her last few moments playing Queen for the day, she spun around in her dress. With one last twirl, she let the gown fall into a heap at her feet. Kit pulled on her pajamas after stepping out of her gown. Taking the crown from her head, she set it in a place of honor right on her bookshelf.

Comfortable, she retreated back to the living room to close out the night with a movie and whatever else the boys had in mind to cheer themselves up. Kit sat on the floor with James, who wrapped his arms around her. She pulled a blanket over them and settled into her spot cuddling with her boyfriend.

Now that all five teens were changed into their pajamas and cozied up with snacks, Carlos stood before them with two DVDs in his hands. "Okay," he said. "Your Highnesses, which movie would you like to see?"

Kit giggled at the nickname, pointing to the movie in his left hand. "Ooh," she said. "Shrek 2!"

"It is the best Shrek," Logan shrugged. Kendall nodded in agreement. Carlos looked to James for an answer before he played anything.

"Shrek 2 it is."

Satisfied, he popped the disc into the player and started it. Carlos settled back into his spot on the couch in between Logan and Kendall after he handed out bowls of popcorn.

James couldn't care less what movie they watched. He nuzzled his nose against the crook of Kit's shoulder and neck. Lovestruck, he smiled to himself as the movie began to play. With his Queen by his side, James was down for anything.

Their junior prom was one for the books- from the CIA interruption to the crowning of high school royalty, it was a night to remember. All the excitement at the actual dance left them feeling more than tired enough to appreciate a calm, slumber party-style afterparty in lieu of a traditional post-prom rager.

Kit fell asleep halfway through the movie, images of dancing off into the sunset bouncing around her dreams. James smiled and tugged the blanket higher over them to keep her comfortable. He pressed a gentle kiss to her temple. Long live the Queen.

2 chapters in one weekend? I'm on a roll lol. 

Kit and James might be in their own little world, but how long is that going to last? Hmm. And what about Logan?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 27 6
The boys of Big Time Rush are sure they have found the girl of their dreams. But are they sure it's the right girl? When a set of quadruplets show up...
46.8K 1K 31
*is very stupid ad no well written. It's one of my earlier stories but I'm too chicken to delete it soooo read at you own risk* 17 year old Rosalie A...
2.3K 43 20
This story is about a girl named Amber who loves Big Time Rush. The reason for her love for BTR is her boyfriend is in the band. Her boyfriend...
473K 13.6K 40
"i say now let's play a game i betcha I can make a rhyme out of anybody's name." or you'll see the big time life of small town girl gabriela machado ...