Hellfire | Hayley Marshall

By SprintingFox

Backstabbing, bickering, butchery, repeat. It took a werewolf to bring the Mikaelsons together in the place w... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Final Author's Note

Chapter 38

2.1K 84 17
By SprintingFox

Klaus was gone.

"What the bloody hell do you mean he's gone?" snapped Eisa, rushing into the next room and seeing the empty coffin where her siblings had placed their daggered half-brother.

"Did you let him out?" demanded Rebekah, staring wide-eyed at her sister. "Eisa, did you—"

"Of course I didn't, I barely arrived here and I hadn't even gone to see him!"

"Do you think he was able to pull the dagger out?"

Eisa shrugged. "I really don't know, Bex. I was only able to pull mine out because I had a bit of mortal blood in my system. I don't think Nik had any of that."

"Call Hayley," suggested Elijah, holding up his phone.

"I'd rather not," said Eisa stiffly, stepping away from him. She turned to Marcel, who had recently arrived to tell them that Davina would be taking up the position of Regent to the Nine Covens now that Josephine LaRue was dead. "We'll search out there. I just need to go and see my witches first."

"I'll find Cami," said Rebekah, already making her way to the door. "If Nik contacts anyone, it'll be her."

She sped off, and Eisa rushed to where Isela and Zeus were reviewing the spell Freya had prepared for them. "Slight change in assignment," she said, taking one of the books from the library's shelf and placing it in front of them. "I need a Locator spell on Niklaus." She reached for a nearby glass and bit into her wrist, leaving them some of her blood. "Any word from Estelle?"

"The storm is picking up," said Isela, gesturing out the window, to a thunderstorm that had suddenly sprung up. "She can't make it back. She's going to stay with Lian, who'd like you to know that she feels terrible about what happened."

Eisa sighed. "She couldn't have known that Dahlia would target her before she got here. It's not her fault. Just, please, the Locator Spell."

She left them with that, and reconvened with Marcel, deciding who'd search where before they both sped out.

Two hours later, they returned to the Compound, soaking wet and empty handed. "We'll continue to scour the city until we find him," said Eisa, shaking her head, droplets flying off the short strands of her hair.

"Let's hope Nik doesn't slaughter the wolves before we find him," said Rebekah, shaking her head. "You know as well as I do that he'll be on the warpath. Which again raises the question— how in the hell is he even awake?"

"It was Dahlia," said Freya, looking to three paintings Klaus had made, containing the Norwegian soil and Mikael's ashes. "She's won Klaus to her cause."

"No," said Elijah, shaking his head. "Niklaus would never do such a thing."

"I worry Freya's right," muttered Eisa. "Dahlia planned so much ahead... she knew, because of Lian, that he didn't drink the tea. She could have gotten in his head, manipulated him... it runs in the family."

"He's going to go after Hayley," said Rebekah shakily. "He'll know by now that she took Hope with her."

Eisa wanted to pretend she didn't care about Hayley, but her heart jumped out of fear. "Is the spell ready?" she asked, changing the subject.

Freya nodded, gesturing to the paintings, which were hung around the courtyard. "The paint of his artwork, combined with my blood, will render Dahlia vulnerable. The moment she passes between these paintings, she will be mortal." She pulled out a small blade, handing it to Elijah. "You can kill her, using this."

"Father's knife?" said Elijah.

Freya beamed. "I thought it appropriate."

"We should have multiple copies," said Eisa, observing the knife. "I could get two kitchen butter knives, and my witches could do a spell to make them replicas of this one. Rebekah, Elijah, and I will be positioned around the hallways, out of view. One of us will manage to kill her, and she won't know which knife to try and avoid."

Elijah suddenly perked up. "We have a visitor."

He sped away, and the three sisters peered around the corner, seeing Gia there. Eisa would have eavesdropped, but she turned, hearing footsteps. Isela and Zeus had come down, with the materials for the golem. The former came to an abrupt halt, her cheeks turning red when she saw Elijah dip down to kiss Gia.

"Eisa," she said shakily. "Um, Zeus had... an idea..."

"Oh, what is it?" asked Eisa as the witch faced her own feet.

"Lightning," said Zeus, gesturing at the clouds. "This storm sprung up from nowhere. Isela and I couldn't find Klaus, but we did sense a magical signature near him, and it's the same one we feel with the storm. It's Dahlia. She's with him, and she's stirring up this storm. I've used lightning in my magic loads of times, and I think we can disable her long enough to kill her, if I give her a good zap. That, of course, mainly to be used in case she doesn't step into the killing ground of her own volition. Pulling her in would be too obvious, but zapping her in..."

"No," said Eisa, shaking her head. "No, no, no. Zeus, you've used lightning magic indoors, as part of simpler spells. It's a nice parlor trick, but against a witch this strong, I fear it'll backfire on you. Not to mention that you'd need to create a gigantic bolt, in open air— something you've never done before. You're still mortal, and I will not lose another witch."

"It wasn't your fault Francis died," said Zeus, clearly wanting to go through with his idea. "I want to do this."

"And if I let you do this, it would be irresponsible of me. You all do so much to help me, and the least I can do is protect you. This wouldn't be protecting you. The answer is no, Zeus. Unless you'd practiced it before, I don't feel comfortable asking you to do that. You and Isela need to focus on keeping the golem looking like Hope."

Albeit crestfallen, Zeus and Isela went back upstairs just as Elijah walked back toward his sisters.

"Now, you're certain this will work?" he asked Freya.

"Let's not toss around words like 'certain,'" said Rebekah, scrunching up her nose a bit.

"Nonsense, the spell is flawless," said Freya. "You helped with it. Though, I might have preferred Elijah ask my permission before volunteering me as the bait."

Eisa half-smiled. "You would never have done it willingly, Freya, don't kid yourself."

Surprisingly, Freya didn't look cross. "No matter. We have all that we need. Isela and Zeus will perform the spell, using my heartbeat and the golem to craft the illusion of Hope's presence. Once Dahlia is lured into the killing ground, you three will ambush her, and do what is necessary."

"You're rather calm," noticed Rebekah, "which is odd, because there are a million ways this plan can fall to pieces."

Freya bit her lip. "I admit... First, I was upset when Elijah ignored my plan in favor of his own. You are all so determined to protect Hope at all cost. Perhaps I'm envious— no one ever fought so hard to protect me. Then, I recalled what I saw when I looked inside your mind. The day you all swore an oath to stand by one another— always and forever. There's strength in such vows."

"I can assure you," said Elijah, "it has not been free of consequence."

"That is an understatement," said Rebekah. "Ask me, that vow has been more trouble than it's worth."

Eisa almost wanted to say, "Especially for those of us who are only included when it's convenient for the rest of you."

But she kept her mouth shut, and Freya said, "Yet, here you are— proving my point. Family defines you, even if it demands sacrifice. My entire life, I have longed for what you have. It is better to at least glimpse it, facing death, than run forever and know nothing of family."

In another half-hour, they were ready to go. The bells of the St. Louis Cathedral rang in the eerie tune they could attribute to Dahlia, and the storm subsided, leaving the sun shining over the courtyard. In the hallways, Rebekah, Elijah, and Eisa hid, each with a knife. Freya was in the front, holding the fake Hope. Eisa could hear Isela and Zeus quietly chanting upstairs, and she drew a deep breath, leaning forward and preparing to burst out when necessary.

The familiar click of high-heeled boots rang in the entrance hall, and Eisa caught sight of Dahlia walking up to Freya and 'Hope,' stopping in the doorway of the courtyard. "I come all this way to collect what is owed to me," said the witch, "and whom should I find?"

Freya no longer looked so brave. "Tante, please, please listen. I betrayed my siblings so I could procure this child. I offer her to you now, and in exchange, I only ask that you release me from my obligation to you."

Dahlia tilted her head a bit, observing Klaus's paintings. She moved a bit closer, but still not within the borders of the killing ground. "How curious, that you should bargain with me for that which is already mine. But, by all means, make your case for why you should be freed. And then I will decide whether to release you or kill you, once and for all." She stepped a bit closer. "You surprise me. Betraying the family you meant to coax to your side? How very ruthless of you."

Freya was obviously anxious. "I had hoped that they would welcome me as a sister. I was wrong."

"Of course you were, you poor little fool!" said Dahlia with fake sympathy. "To think that Esther's wicked little progeny could ever care for you? They are known the world over for obscene acts of violence, and yet, you sought them out instead of staying where you belong. With me." Another few steps, just short of the killing ground. "I offered to protect you for all time, and you left me. And now, it is you who is alone. But then, who could love a deceitful little wretch?" She came to a stop right at the edge, in front of Freya.

Eisa was the first to realize that something was wrong. There was a thump, and she heard the chanting stop. She was just about to rush up when the golem crumbled into dust, and Dahlia gave a slight gasp, realizing it was a trap. "What have you done?" she said lowly.

"NOW!" yelled Freya, yanking Dahlia into the killing field.

Eisa, Elijah, and Rebekah all stepped forward, but a blur passed in front of them, and they were knocked back by Klaus, who had taken Mikael's knife from Elijah.

"And so the wheel of betrayal circles 'round once more," he said darkly.

Eisa lunged at Dahlia, thinking to ignore her brother, but the witch was ready. She swept her hands up, and the three sisters were tossed back into different pillars as Elijah and Klaus began to fight. "Treacherous little shrew!" she spat at Freya. "For this, you will pay."

She raised her arms, and both Eisa and Rebekah gave sharp gasps, holding their chests as their hearts threatened to fly out.

"Perhaps I cannot kill you permanently," sneered Dahlia, managing to kick Freya in the face when the eldest sister tried to get up. "But I will subdue you long enough to get what is mine."

She jumped at Rebekah first, revealing another white oak ash dagger, which she stabbed into the blonde's heart. Freya let out a cry as Rebekah started to desiccate, before slumping down weakly.

"And you," said Dahlia, coming to Eisa and yanking her up by her hair, using her magic to make blood start to pour out of her mouth, causing the middle sister to gag, unable to breathe. "You, perhaps, I underestimated. If daggers and a blade of torment won't work on you, then I suppose I'll just have to strip your immortality away."

Eisa let out a blood-curdling scream, her eyes beginning to bleed. She was dropped, and her body started to twitch on its own. She felt so dizzy that she almost blacked out in the first few seconds. She felt blood start to leak from her abdomen, and she remembered that it was the exact place she'd been stabbed in, when Mikael killed her in order for her to be turned.

"NO!" she begged, her skin feeling as though it was being bathed in acid. "STOP IT! NO! NO!"

"Yes," said Dahlia wickedly. "You are slowly becoming mortal again."

"LEAVE HER ALONE!" cried Freya, thrusting her hands up and doing a spell that knocked Dahlia down.

The witch recovered faster than she should have been able to, and retaliated by tossing Freya down into the next hallway. One very specific hand gesture later, the eldest Mikaelson went limp, head lolling to the side as if she was asleep.

Eisa tried to scramble up, rushing to where Klaus had Elijah pinned to the wall in a chokehold. "NIK!" she screamed. "LET HIM GO! STOP IT!"

Klaus ignored her, and Eisa tried to get to her feet, but she felt so utterly weak. She knew that Dahlia had nearly succeeded in rendering her mortal, and it was going to take a bit longer for her to heal from it. She collapsed by the fountain just as Gia walked in, looking confused and afraid.

"Elijah?" she said shakily, making the older brother look at her.

"Gia," said Klaus, "be a sweetheart and take off your daylight ring."

"NO!" Elijah bellowed. "NOOO!"

"I can't stop myself," said Gia shakily, slowly starting to remove her ring.

Elijah was yelling, and Eisa was yelling, but neither could reach her. Klaus snapped Elijah's arms behind him, breaking them. Dahlia had returned, and had tossed Eisa into the fountain, her head smashing into the stone and leaving her bleeding into the water.

She heard a horrible scream, and Gia's body burst into flames. Eisa slumped down, watching as Klaus shoved Papa Tunde's blade into Elijah's chest.

"Nik," she said weakly, her eyes starting to close. "Nik, please..."

"Get rid of her," said Klaus to Dahlia.

"No!" spluttered Eisa as Dahlia pulled her up. "No— no—!"

Thunder rumbled overhead, and the storm began to brew once more. Though, it didn't seem to be Dahlia controlling it. The witch looked up as Zeus, head bleeding, walked out from the upper balcony.

"NO!" screamed Eisa as he raised his hand, bringing a lightning bolt down, that crashed right into Dahlia's chest.

The witch was thrown into the fountain, and when she looked up, Zeus was on the ground, shaking. It was clear that the bolt had been enough to briefly incapacitate her, because Dahlia was not getting to her feet.

Eisa threw herself over the edge of the fountain, slamming the witch's head down, trying to drown her. "Come on!" she growled to herself, putting her entire body weight over Dahlia. "COME ON!"

Someone pulled her back, and she was shoved to the ground, a shoe pressed onto her throat.

"Nik," she said desperately, looking up at her brother. "Please don't—"

"You're lucky you aren't mortal, Sister," he said before reaching down and ripping her heart out.

_

"Eisa! Eisa, please, wake up!"

She had to blink a few times before she could register who was on top of her. "Cami?" she said groggily.

The blonde helped her sit up, revealing that Rebekah had been undaggered, and that Elijah had had Papa Tunde's blade removed from his chest.

The courtyard was a wreck. A charred body remained in the spot where Gia had been standing when she died. Upstairs, Zeus was still shaking, and Eisa could hear him whimpering lightly as Isela, who was barely able to crawl, was trying to do a spell to soothe his pain.

"Oh my god," she whispered, looking at all the blood mixed with pieces of plaster. "What the bloody hell did he do to us?"

"He's lost his mind," said Elijah, staring blankly at Gia's body.

From another room, Marcel walked up, and went to pull Rebekah to her feet. "He compelled me," said Marcel, looking ashamed. "I had to take down the witches. I knocked Isela out before, but Zeus snapped my neck."

"It's not your fault," said Rebekah soothingly. "Nik... he's... he's insane. Where's Freya?"

"They must have taken her with them," muttered Eisa.

"Listen to me, all of you," said Cami as she pulled Eisa to sit at the edge of the fountain. "It's a trick. He needed her to trust him, so he could do what he needed to do."

"Cami, you sound like a lunatic, what are you talking about?"

"He had to make it look convincing. He told me her secret. I know how we can kill Dahlia. Here—" she offered Eisa her wrist. "All of you need to heal."

"She was gonna turn me mortal," said Eisa shakily as she drank. "I felt my body being ripped apart from the inside. She was going to kill me for good."

Marcel was already giving his blood to Rebekah, so Cami moved on to Elijah, who hardly acknowledged her. The two sisters went up to the balcony, healing both witches, though Zeus remained unconscious, part of his skin charred, and his eyebrows singed.

"Now that we have healed," said Elijah slowly, "what do you mean Niklaus had a plan?" He started to shout. "We had a plan! A plan he has mercilessly destroyed!"

"Your plan wouldn't have worked, Elijah," said Cami. "When Klaus got into my head, he said your plan would fail, so he had to enact one of his own."

"He couldn't have given us the bloody solution?" said Eisa, shaking her head. "He chose to attack us? Dahlia nearly killed us all! What is he trying to accomplish?!"

"He has to get her to link to him," said Cami.

"What?" cried Rebekah. "If he does that, Dahlia will be able to channel him, and she'll be virtually indestructible!"

Cami was remaining surprisingly calm. "He said I had to convince you that everything he had to do, he had to do alone. You had the wrong ingredients to kill Dahlia, and he has to buy time before he finds the right ones." She noticed Elijah's eyes were not moving away from Gia. "I am sorry about your friend..."

"Are you?" said Elijah coldly.

"I don't condone Klaus's actions. I'm trying to help you. All I know is that Klaus will do whatever he has to do—"

"KLAUS WILL DO WHATEVER HE HAS TO DO FOR KLAUS!" snarled Elijah, making both Eisa and Rebekah flinch along with Cami.

"Guys," said Marcel quietly, "there's something else you need to know."

"Wait a second, will you?" said Eisa, pulling out her phone. "I need to call Hayley."

"You won't be able to reach her," said Marcel guiltily. "When Klaus attacked me, he stole the spell that I used on the Crescent wolves."

Eisa's mouth dropped open. "He... he didn't..."

Marcel slowly nodded, and the Original covered her mouth. "He should have just talked to us," she whispered. "He— he should have just... this is all my fault..."

"This isn't your fault, Eisa," said Rebekah, going to her side and taking her hand.

"Yes it is! I was the one who left after the wedding. I hardly spoke to any of you. I left the Infirmary instead of staying there to help, and Dahlia caught me, and if she hadn't caught me, you wouldn't have daggered him, and he wouldn't have—"

"Hey," said Cami, looking up as Isela came down the stairs. "It's not anyone's fault. This is all Dahlia. She ruins everything."

Elijah's phone began to ring. Eisa made to grab it, so she could answer it, but he picked it up, and they heard Freya's breathless voice on the other end. "Elijah, Dahlia is incapacitated, I need someone to come and get me and Hope. We're about two hours north at an orchard near Pale River—"

Elijah sped away before anyone else could say anything.

Rebekah stifled a sob, putting her arms around Marcel. "I've never seen Elijah like this," she said softly. "Never in my life..."

"Eisa," said Isela, sitting beside her, and seeing the the Original seemed to have zoned out. "Hey. Listen, I need to take Zeus back home, so he can recover. But I promise I'll be back, and I'll help undo the Crescent Curse on Hayley."

She nodded slowly. "Thanks... Isela," she mumbled. Some part of her wanted to say that she didn't care about Hayley. Some part wanted to pretend that she was fine, leaving her as a wolf, so she could be with those littermates that she apparently trusted more. With that husband who had had the idea to run into the Bayou and take Hope in the first place.

And yet, all that came to mind was the memory of Hayley's smile, and Eisa realized that she was never going to get over her, no matter how far she went, or how many times she tried to stop caring.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75.7K 2.7K 36
Aphrodite: the goddess of sexual love and beauty Loving someone for a thousand years, spending every waking hour with them and then losing them is an...
672K 18.8K 92
Trapped for a thousand years in a coffin, only to be awoken by the brother of the person she'd been hidden from in the first place. It seemed her onl...
95.1K 2.7K 33
"I can't lose anyone else, Elijah. Especially not by my own hand." New Orleans. A city run by the supernatural. When Elijah Mikaelson learns of Hayl...
24.8K 1K 15
Emilia Mikaelson is the complete opposite of her twin brother, Elijah Mikaleson. Whereas history calls Elijah the noble Mikaleson, history calls Emil...