STEALTH and TRACK: BOOK ONE

By AbiGrace24601

Order 66 has been initiated...And yet, the Bad Batch, besides Crosshair, are excluded from the ruthless act... More

C H A P T E R O N E
C H A P T E R T W O
C H A P T E R T H R E E
C H A P T E R F O U R
C H A P T E R F I V E
C H A P T E R S I X
C H A P T E R S E V E N
C H A P T E R E I G H T
C H A P T E R N I N E
C H A P T E R T E N
C H A P T E R E L E V E N
C H A P T E R T W E L V E
C H A P T E R T H I R T E E N
C H A P T E R F O U R T E E N
C H A P T E R F I F T E E N
C H A P T E R S I X T E E N
C H A P T E R S E V E N T E E N
C H A P T E R E I G H T E E N
C H A P T E R N I N E T E E N
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-O N E
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-T W O
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-T H R E E
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-F O U R
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-F I V E
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-S I X
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-S E V E N
A U T H O R'S N O T E
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-E I G H T
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-N I N E
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-O N E
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-T W O
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-T H R E E
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-F I V E
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-S I X
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-S E V E N
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-E I G H T
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-N I N E
C H A P T E R F O R T Y
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-O N E
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-T W O
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-T H R E E
A U T H O R'S N O T E
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-F O U R
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-F I V E
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-S I X
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-S E V E N
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-E I G H T
C H A P T E R F O R T Y-N I N E
C H A P T E R F I F T Y
C H A P T E R F I F T Y-O N E
C H A P T E R F I F T Y-T W O
A U T H O R'S N O T E
BONUS CHAPTER ONE: Alternate Ending
BONUS CHAPTER 2: Alternate Ending
BONUS CHAPTER THREE: Alternate Ending
BONUS CHAPTER FOUR: Alternate Ending
BONUS CHAPTER FIVE: Echo and Fern
BONUS CHAPTER SIX: Fern's Dreams
BONUS CHAPTER SEVEN: Fern and Wrecker
BONUS CHAPTER EIGHT: Crosshair's Afterword
AUTHOR'S NOTE!!!!!

C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-F O U R

2.3K 84 62
By AbiGrace24601

THIRD PERSON POV

Tech decided to stay behind to monitor Fern while the rest of the squad escorted Senator Singh and GS-8 to Cid's parlor. He had done everything he possible could with what limited supplies and equipment he had. He had never been so delicate when aiding a squad member, especially when he had to apply healing ointment to the entirety of the burn across her chest. Additionally, the bandaging process was slow— this wasn't Wrecker whom Tech could carry on with an injection and medical pad and call it a day.

The intellectual clone patted the sweat away from his brow with the back of his hand. In his hand, he gripped his data pad in which he used to track Fern's vitals. She had finally stabilized by the time he dressed the wound. All there was to do now, was wait, and Tech fought against the anxiety that was building up inside him. His right foot spasmed against the floor as he leaned forward, propping his chin up by his knees.

An hour went by and Tech was growing tired when he, at long last, heard a strained female voice. His head shot up and locked eyes with Fern's tearful ones. "Fern?" he sighed with relief. "You are awake."

"Hey, Tick..." Fern breathed hoarsely and managed a small smile. Tech's instincts were proceed with a briefing on her condition, but when he opened his mouth to do so, Fern suddenly reached out and gripped his hand. He flinched, unsure how to react to this curious gesture.

"How are...the others?" Fern asked weakly.

"An ironic question for you of all people to be asking." the intellectual clone stated. He was dumbfounded and could hardly comprehend what he was hearing. In her condition, she was still concerned about everyone else first. He recalled a time when Fern wouldn't have asked a "silly" question as such. Staring into her watery eyes, he figured he should provide some comfort, but wasn't sure on how to commence...

His fingers slowly, involuntarily closed around hers.

"Fern!"

The minimal space between Tech and Fern was invaded by a stealthy Omega, popping up her blonde head with worried eyes. "Are you okay?"

"Hey, Half-Pint..." Fern grinned as she spoke softly. "I'm good. Tech patched me up well. Nothing too serious." She dropped Tech's hand to reach up and cup Omega's jawline with the same hand. Despite her assurance, She watched the young girl's frown deepen. "How was...hanging out with Cid, huh?"

"She paid off our debt." A low voice sounded before Omega could answer. Fern glanced up to see Hunter in the back, his helmet tucked under his arm.

"Did you really?" The female clone smirked at Omega, her nose scrunched up. "How in the galaxy did you do that?"

"I won a lot of Dejarik games for money." she beamed. "I even beat Hunter, so now I won't sit out of any more missions!"

"I wish I could've see that match." Fern scoffed softly. "It looks like, however, I won't be participating on any jobs for awhile."

Omega's smile wavered. "It won't be long." she promised softly. "You just need lots of rest. I can keep you company if you like."

"You know what would help?" Fern said, raising a brow. "A pound of Mantell Mix. We can share a batch."

"That sounds like a good idea." Hunter agreed. "Omega, why don't you and Wrecker go fetch some for you both?"

"Okay." Omega nodded, but Fern could tell she was still worried by the watery shine in her round, brown eyes. "We'll be right back!" She and Wrecker exited the ship. 

The moment the sergeant was positive they were gone, he dropped the calm act and knelt down to Fern's eye level. "How are you? Are you in any pain?"

"I'm fine, Hunter, really." she insisted, though it was hard to convince him when her chest ached with every deep breath she inhaled. She glanced over to her caretaker. "Tech, I'm assuming there's going to be scarring?"

"Affirmative." he replied in a murmur. At his side, the hand she had grasped curled into a loose fist.

"Hey, look at me," Fern joked with a sarcastic roll of her dark eyes. "Earning some battle scars."

"Fern, you really had us worried there." Echo chimed in from behind Hunter. "Are you sure you're not feeling any pain?"

"Yes." she lied, but she had the perception that the three clones before her didn't believe her. She was grateful they didn't push it. Hunter, who was still hovering with concerned grimace, nodded slowly and rose to his feet. "Tech, keep an eye on her, just in case." Then, he walked away towards the cockpit.

"Jeez," Fern squeezed her eyes shut with a small huff. "He's really upset, isn't he?"

"Why would you think he's upset?" It was Echo's turn to crouch down at her side. 

Tech tapped a few times on his datapad, then adjusted his goggles. "Fern," the intellectual clone noted. "Hunter, to put it lightly, was overcome with apprehension of your survival after what happened on Raxus. To admit the rest of us, we were all perturbed on whether you would survive or not."

"I'm sorry to put you all through so much trouble." Fern half-quipped, then glanced downward towards the front of the ship. "Do you think Hunter is okay?"

"He is most likely still contemplating on the current predicament. He just needs to calm down." Tech followed her gaze and noticed the sergeant had hunkered down into the pilot's seat where only his legs were visible. "When I was tending to your wounds," He subconsciously reached down as if to touch the female clone's head, but quit midway when he realized and retracted his hand back. "I wasn't sure if I would be able to save you... Luckily, you pulled through."

Fern should've felt guilty for scaring her squad, but a small smile escaped her lips. She could tell Tech was trying to stay neutral about the situation, but she had caught hints of emotion from the monotoned clone. Echo's frown never faltered. He too appeared like he wanted to say or do something, but was holding himself back. She moved her hand towards Echo, and, unlike Tech, he understood the gesture, clasping his fingers around hers. The latter was taken back by this, like he should also hold her hand, but it never occurred to him the whole time he monitored her.

"Hey, Tech," Fern snapped him out of his subconscious. "You know what would make me feel better?"

"Y-yes?"

"Let me try on your goggles." She stifled a laugh. Echo raised his brow in interest as Tech's mouth tightened in a straight line. "I'm not sure if—"

"Oh, go on, Tech." The cyborg clone nudged him. "It's not like she's going to steal them." 

Tech gulped and reluctantly removed his spectacles from his face. Both Echo and Fern gasped at this new version of the intellectual clone. The latter was handed the vital accessory, but she hesitated before slipping them on. She was still processing the new face of Tech. He looked slightly younger: his angular face was slimmer without the thick, blocky frames and his light-brown eyes were more prominent without the yellow tint. His tightened jaw shifted bashfully as he averted those handsome eyes away from the female clone's lingering gaze. She smirked at his timidity and slipped the spectacles on.

"Oh wow!" she exclaimed, beaming from ear to ear. "There are so many features built into these! No wonder why you seem to know everything!" The big smile on her face viscerally warmed Echo and Tech. Yep, same old Fern. Not even a major injury could dampen her spirit. There really was no reason to worry. Her involuntarily deep giggling rippled from her throat and through her pursed lips.

"Alright, now give them back." Tech held out his open palm.

"No way!" she side-eyed him mischievously.

"It seems like she did intend to steal them." Tech crossed his arms and glared at Echo, who chuckled.

"We're back, Fern!" Omega's sweet voice filled the ship.

"Hey, Omega, what do you think?" Fern inquired with a smirk.

The young girl rushed over and gasped when she realized Fern was wearing Tech's spectacles, and burst out in laughter. Wrecker slapped the goggle-less clone on the back in amusement. "How did she convince you to give them up?"

"Let it be, Wrecker." he sighed.

About thirty minutes later, Fern was attempting to sit up on her own. Everyone offered their assistance, but she waved them off and eased her upper body up. She eventually swung her legs over the edge of the cot. The pain had finally subsided in her chest with the exception of her right collarbone, which felt like tiny needles were pricking her. She had been informed about the shrapnel wound, and it was that particularly area that bothered her the most. It itched more than it hurt, which irritated Fern. When she went to scratch, she was literally slapped on the wrist by Tech.

The clone, now donning his iconic lenses once more, redressed her bandages gently and permitted her to start walking around at her risk. Once she was up on her feet, Fern was embraced by Omega around the waist. And Hunter, he finally emerged after his sulk fest. He ordered Wrecker, Echo, and Omega to go on a supply run and Tech to meet Cid and ask her for potential jobs. Everyone exchanged looks before doing as they were told. 

Hunter and Fern were finally alone, and he had something to say to her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 146 26
When chaos finds Talia, a quiet farm girl with an unknown past, who better to turn to than the bad batch? Traveling the galaxy, and fighting for the...
The Shadow By Liz

Fanfiction

5.1K 260 19
"She's one clone, she can't be that much trouble." The recruit said harshly, and Crosshair pinned him with a stern look. "I trained her. Wherever yo...
34K 1.1K 37
"General Windu assigned a Jedi to us for this mission," Hunter stated. "Oh, how fabulous." Crosshair grumbled. "Do we know anything about this Jedi?"...
2.5K 97 18
(This is my first story I hope you like it❤️) The Bad Batch finds a knocked out female human. She has no memory of who she use to be. She joins the B...