Mending the Heart (UtaPri)

By Misread_

After Haruka chooses to be with Tokiya and Shining Saotome accepts their relationship, the rest of the group... More

怌 Heartbroken 怍
怌 Re-encounter 怍
怌 Permissible 怍
怌 Idols 怍
怌 New Friends 怍
怌 Games 怍
怌 Tea and Cookies 怍
怌 Gratitude 怍
怌 We are STARISH 怍
怌 Competition 怍
怌 Choice 怍
怌 The Rose That Blooms Forever 怍
怌 I'll Be Your Sunshine 怍
Concluding Remarks

怌 I Love You 怍

78 4 3
By Misread_

It was difficult to say whether filming had gone great or not. From the director's perspective, anyhow, it was a blessing. The plan was to shoot the first scene of the movie, but with one glimpse at Ren and Otoya, he switched to one of the romantic scenes—where both boys had to confess to the main character, intent on not losing to the other love interest. The intensity was smothering, and while you desperately wanted to assure yourself their acting was splendid, there was a gut feeling you had a role to play in its realism.

Was it because you were too wishy-washy about deciding who to go to dinner with? But, if the both of them were hungry, the solution was obvious: the three of you could pick a place, all together, and call it a night. Clearly, however, neither approved of the idea. They wanted your company to themselves.

At this rate, once filming concluded, the first thing those heart-stopping idols would do is bombard you and have you choose between them.

. . .Between Ren and Otoya?

That was impossible.

"Haruka, have you finished composing?" You clenched your cell to your ear, praying you didn't sound as desperate as you felt. "I can hurry back right now and get straight to arranging it. I also have that work you assigned earlier this week—"

"The work you already handed in?" she remarked with a giggle. "You're the hardest worker I know, (First Name)-chan. I gave you time off today because of that. Unless I told you that accompanying Otoya was work-related, you'd have stayed behind to bury yourself in more tasks."

You couldn't deny it. Unless you were doing something to keep yourself busy, you couldn't sit still.

"On that note, are Ittoki-kun and Jinguji-san finding everything with filming all right?"

"They're fighting for the MC's undivided attention as we speak," you replied, peering in their direction. "Nagi's character kidnapped her and are on the run, so they dashed in to rescue her."

"Oh, that sounds interesting!"

"The fact that they're hotter in real life is torturous on my soul," you agreed. "But that's not important right now."

"How come? Did something happen?"

You hesitated, albeit momentarily. Maybe bouncing it off of her would put you at ease. You'd only known her for several weeks, but Haruka had a calming aura to her that made it easy to open up.

"It's bizarre," you eventually said. "Ever since we buried all that drama weeks back they've been acting. . . different."

"Who has?"

"Ren and Otoya."

"Is. . . that so?" she said after a beat. "They've been the same, from what I've gathered. Can you be more specific?"

"Monday, for instance. When we were working on Ren and Otoya's song. I went out for fresh air and ended up bumping into Ren. . ."

~Several days ago~

"This lake is pretty during the day, but I should've expected it'd be way more stunning at night." You gazed out into the water currently twinkling under the bright moon and stars. "It's breathtaking."

The gentle breeze, and soft scent of flowers, added to its serenity.

"You are."

You resisted a gasp.

Spinning, you addressed the boy who had snuck up behind you.

"Ren? You should've said something if you were here!"

"Sorry, sorry. I lost the opportunity."

Your inhaled deeply as he chuckled.

"Great. Now I'm struggling to catch my breath because of you."

His palm found its way to your cheek. The pad of his thumb caressed your skin, burning it in its wake. "My lady." His tone, his passionate gaze, heated your heart all the same. "I had no idea I had that kind of effect on you."

Whether it be the proximity or you'd realized the misleading connotations behind what you uttered earlier, you stuttered, pathetically. "It's because you startled me!"

"Really?"

"R—really." You avoided his spellbinding blue eyes. "This time, at least."

He hummed. Your pulse quickened. "So you're implying I typically leave you breathless for another reason?"

You couldn't deny that either. "Stop teasing me."

This time, he stiffened, eyebrows rising on his forehead.

"I'm a huge fan of yours, and you know that. The smallest of glances, your passionate songs. . . I'm weak to all of it. Getting acquainted with the Ren Jinguji is a fantasy. But, like I keep reminding you, we're co-workers. I didn't become a music arranger to fangirl to my heart's content over whichever celebrity I happen to work with. I'm doing my all to maintain my professionalism but you continue to half-heartedly flirt with—treat me—like a fan whose sole purpose here is to squeal and melt in your arms. Frankly, it's like you're looking down on me, and I hate it. If you refuse to take me seriously—"

"I am serious."

Your heart ceased beating altogether. In replace of Ren's usual smirk was a smouldering stare you'd never encountered. His pure, unadulterated sincerity was reflected, only the luminescent moon above to serve as a witness.

"You appear have the wrong idea of me, Lady, but I have been. For a while now. It's an honour in and of itself that you cherish me as fondly as you do. I owe a lot to your kindness. When I deemed all hope was lost, and nearly closed off my heart to music again, you gave me the push I needed to go forward. You and the rest of our fans have been my emotional anchor for longer than I can remember. Far from looking down on you—I fully recognize and respect you. The other day, when the Little Lamb presented me and Ikki a snippet of the song you're both working on, that admiration grew. You're amazing, Lady."

Was it possible to blush this hard?

"If anything," he said, utilizing his forefinger and thumb to tilt your chin to close quarters, "you're the one not viewing me in a serious light. Constantly brushing my declarations aside, with no remorse. When will you realize just how important, how irreplaceable, you've become to me?"

"Jinguji-san mentioned all that?" Haruka's astonishment radiated over the line.

You nodded, in spite of the fact that she couldn't witness it. "Otoya asks me to hang out at every given opportunity too. The other day we even went out for crepes. . ."

~Yesterday~

"Y'know, I'm pretty good at impressions."

Otoya's unexpected declaration left you floundering for words. His cheeks were stuffed to the brim like a chipmunk's. After purchasing crepes, you had chosen the bench in this field furthest from civilization. Although he wore his disguise, being as popular as he was, there was no harm in being extra careful.

"Really?" you said.

"Yup! I'm confident. Do you have a request?"

An impression?

"Hmm. . . How about Syo?"

"Hey, stop calling me short! It's not my fault I'm not growing. Dammit, I even drink four glasses of milk a day but even that's not working!"

You burst out laughing. "I can totally see him saying that!"

"Really?" He hopped to his feet and stood tall and dignified. "To believe in oneself is the ultimate component of an idol. In order to extend my passion to the loving fans, I have to exert my best effort."

"Masato!"

"Everyone. What is an omusubi? They mentioned it in the show I was watching today. Is it something you wear?"

Cecil. "St-stop, Otoya. You're killing me."

Embarrassing as it was, you doubled over, and it took everything in your power to contain yourself. Otoya watched with an ear-wide grin, long finished his dessert in the time frame it took to collect yourself.

"I've got to do a bit in an upcoming program I'm appearing in, so I've been practicing. It's a bit nerve-wracking, but when I get the audience to smile, there's nothing that beats that feeling." He airily laughed and scanned the clouds floating across the sky. "I once assumed STARISH was eternal, but we aren't. It's because of that, no matter what walls we run into, or even if we don't know what's waiting for us in the future, we have to treasure every moment and make it last. Things may change, but our bonds themselves won't. That's why I have to work hard smile like the sun, and illuminate everyone as an idol. In that regard, your smile really is my favourite. I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but it really is true."

You resisted the urge to 'aww'. "Yours is my favourite too, Otoya. I love it more than anything."

His gaze softened. "I love you too."

You blinked.

He did too.

"A—Ah, I mean— What I mean is—"

In a flash, he reddened like his hair. Stammering and flailing, he desperately tried to correct the misunderstanding. Though, all that resulted was you feeling more flustered than ever before.

"You must really care for them," Haruka said.

"I do," you said. "Since their debut, STARISH has been my source of energy. They got me through tough days, brightened my happy ones. I've listened to their songs on repeat. I'm up to date on their activities and gigs. Although I support plenty of other groups, no band has had as big of an impact on my life. I wouldn't be where I am now if I hadn't discovered them. On days I didn't feel like smiling, seeing Otoya's instantly flipped my mood. On extremely cold days, Ren warmed me up with his singing voice. True, I hadn't even met them in person until a few months ago. But, for longer than I can remember, I've loved them. I know. It's weird saying all this, right?"

"It isn't weird at all."

The world itself moved in slow motion. Due to being immersed in your conversation, you'd failed to notice filming had stalled, and that Otoya and Ren—who'd stopped for a short break—had overheard you.

Dumbly, you lowered your device, and Haruka's baffled inquiries fell on deaf ears.

"It isn't weird at all, (First Name)," Otoya reiterated. His usual optimism, and smile, had been replaced by an earnest pout.

Ren, in a similar boat, smiled. "I'm crazy about you too, Lady."

"Me, too. I like, like you. I do," Otoya said, shooting his bandmate a brief look. He took a step forward. "So, so—"

Ren took one of his own. "—if you'd please do me the honour—"

They glared at one another.

Then, once and for all, with all the gusto in their possession, their voices overlapped.

"Go out with me!"

.

.

.

What?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 27 89
~ Stories that I created based on images of Utapri or songs. ~ Started at: @_haruka.nanami on Instagram ~ I also post them on @ _utapri.stories on In...
330 0 65
[Multi-book series will be 40+ chapters with 1000+ words each chapter] Book One Description: Monoma has a crush on someone in A class but doesn't see...
863 46 10
HAYATO was Tokiya's past. He was the persona that Tokiya really wanted to erase from everyone's mind. Restless nights passed and he could debut again...
6.6K 263 24
they had heard about each other, but they hadn't met. so when they finally met, it felt like they were already familiar. playful teasing and snarky c...