Hellfire | Hayley Marshall

By SprintingFox

Backstabbing, bickering, butchery, repeat. It took a werewolf to bring the Mikaelsons together in the place w... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Final Author's Note

Chapter 33

2.3K 106 27
By SprintingFox

Algiers didn't bring much peace.

For a week, Eisa felt like returning to the Compound like a dog with its tail between its legs, ashamed and begging forgiveness.

And yet, despite the lack of solid peace, she felt better than she had in awhile.

She trained Marcel's vampires every day. She had them running drills, learning new techniques, brawling with each other in a supervised environment. She told them that the best student would be allowed to tag along with her when she went off to kill the next four people at the top of her hit list. That was highly motivating for them.

Elijah was constantly trying to talk to her, encouraging her to return to the Compound, because Kol and Finn felt out of place without her there. Instead of returning, she made arrangements and moved Kol and Finn into lofts beside her, which both seemed to enjoy. Finn, because he always preferred living on his own. Kol, because he could bring Davina to his place without anyone disturbing them (though, Eisa did make a point to listen in every now and then to make sure they weren't doing anything inappropriate).

It felt nice, being on her own, but still close to her family. Able to speak with them but remain distant when she needed it.

Klaus did not seem pleased with her insistence on remaining away from the Compound. But he tolerated it, because, as she and Elijah put it, they were training the vampires to be their allies, for when Dahlia inevitably arrived.

Freya had come by at the end of the week, once Finn and Eisa had figured out where they'd like for Mikael and her to meet. They met in Hahnville, with Freya excitedly riding shotgun, learning from Eisa as she drove.

"Are you sure you wish to do this?" asked Finn from the back seat. "This is not the man you remember, Freya. He's a monster."

"He is still my father," said Freya. "I just require a few minutes with him, my sweet Munin. Please."

Eisa shook her head. Freya didn't seem to understand why Eisa seemed far more opposed to this than Finn. "Sister, if you would tell me what's on your mind, I would appreciate it. I may be a powerful witch, but I am no mind-reader."

"Mikael is a beast," said Eisa lowly. "He abused Niklaus. Criticized Finn and I for choosing to be unwed. You haven't the faintest idea how cruel he is now."

"He changed after you were taken, Freya," Finn reminded her. "I spent years hoping that he would go back to being himself, but he never did. From what Eisa and Kol have told me, he has grown far worse over the centuries."

"You intend to dissuade me, and yet—"

"I would rather we not be here at all," snapped Eisa, gripping the steering wheel tightly. "I understand that you suffered with Dahlia. But you cannot possibly understand what it was like to be hunted, to be mistreated, to have him yelling hateful things at me, for a thousand years."

"Then help me understand, Sister."

"It's not something you could ever understand!" Eisa yelled, making Freya flinch. "Not even our other siblings understand it! Because none of them are gay. Mikael has tried to kill me numerous times, solely because of who I love. Aside from Niklaus, I am the child he despises the most. I am diseased to him, I am unworthy and tainted. Perhaps seeing you again might make him be kinder, but he will only be kinder to you. Niklaus and I will always be abominations to him. None of your efforts could ever make him respect us more. You'll be lucky to walk out of that meeting with your life."

Freya was silent the rest of the ride.

"Finn and I will go in first," said Eisa when they reached the abandoned warehouse they thought would be safest for the meeting. No innocents in the way, in case Mikael was displeased. "You will wait until we have assured him we're here peacefully. We'll give you time alone with him as soon as we ensure he won't murder us."

Freya nodded, waiting obediently outside of the warehouse as Finn and Eisa went in.

Mikael was already there.

"If it isn't the—" Eisa cringed at the word he used to describe her, "and the unfortunate son who did the bidding of a lying—" he used a different word to describe Esther. "Why call me to this filthy establishment?"

"We come in peace," said Eisa, making Mikael scoff. "I am quite serious, even if you do not believe me. Were this a trap, I assure you, we'd already be dueling. After all, our last meeting ended in you abandoning me in a forest."

"Which one of your pitiful siblings freed you from the torment?" asked Mikael, slowly walking closer to them. "I anticipated they might leave you there. It is clear to me that even they despise you."

"I freed myself, actually, just as you did," said Eisa. "And perhaps they do despise me. I could deal with that. I'm quite thankful that at the very least, they respect me as I am instead of calling me the hateful things you do."

Mikael crossed his arms. "Why am I here?" he sneered. "Why are you both wasting my time?"

"We brought you someone. We were rather reluctant to do it, but she insisted, and I expect you to hear her out instead of reverting to your usual violent self. Finn and I won't harm you, as long as you keep your hands off of her. I may not have the white oak stake with me, but I can very easily acquire it after I subdue you, and I will send you to Hell, at my discretion. Got it, Father?" She added the last bit scathingly, knowing it would make Mikael uncomfortable. He hated being known as the father of Eisa Mikaelson.

He gave a gruff sigh, and Eisa moved back to the door. Freya entered the room, while her two siblings left, deciding to walk around the perimeter.

"As long as I hear no screams, I will assume it is going well," said Eisa bitterly. "Oh, wonderful—" she held up her phone to show Finn that Elijah was calling. "Let me guess, another plea for me to return to the Compound."

"Our siblings' insistence on having their way is one of the many things that keeps us all from consistently getting along," said Finn, rolling his eyes. "Has it at the very least helped you? Being away from her?"

Eisa shrugged. "I think of her every day, Finn. It's difficult not to. It ruins every meal I have. I think of how she and her husband must be dining together. Sleeping together at the end of every day. I bet he's pleased, having me out of her life."

"He is calling again," observed Finn, seeing Elijah's name had briefly disappeared from the screen, but had now reappeared. "Should I assume it is about another topic?"

"I don't know. I didn't tell him where we were going, I simply said I was going out, and wouldn't be back until evening, or tomorrow morning." She hung up the call this time, instead of letting it ring. "Not sure what he— oh, bloody hell, again?" She answered this time. "What, Elijah, what could possibly be so important that you need to call me three times?"

"Vincent Griffith," said Elijah, and Eisa frowned, putting the phone on speaker so Finn could hear. "I believe it is time for our brother to exit his body. You must speak to him about it."

"He's with me," said Eisa calmly. "What is this about?"

"The Dowager Fauline Cottage had been used as an asylum for mentally unstable witches since 1914. I assume you know this?"

"Yes. What about it?"

"Days ago, the doors were blown open, and a mass of witches with psychotic tendencies escaped. Among them, a woman named Eva Sinclair, who was suspected to have been kidnapping children in order to channel their power. The children have been missing for quite awhile, and are believed to be dead. Just this morning, Eva Sinclair killed two witches who tried to stop her from taking another child. Now, Gia and I have spoken to Josephine La Rue, the current Regent of the Nine Covens of New Orleans. According to her, Vincent Griffith was Eva Sinclair's husband. He is a very powerful witch, and she would like him to return fully to their ranks. Gia and I will be aiding her in catching Eva Sinclair and locating the missing children. In return, Ms. La Rue is offering to aid us, if and when Dahlia arrives. We will, after all, need more than one witch to subdue her."

Finn and Eisa shared a look. "Well," said Finn, "I suppose I could take the body of—"

"Now, hold on," said Eisa. "Finn, you're my brother, and I love you, but I cannot sit idly by as you take over a different body just for the sake of returning this one. I'd rather we start to look for a way to resurrect you in your Original—"

"No, Eisa," Finn cut her off. "Neither Kol nor I wish to return to our Original bodies if it means being wretched vampires. You will not convince us."

"Well, then we need to find another way. Josephine La Rue will have to wait to have Vincent Griffith back."

"I require your answer soon, both of you," said Elijah on the other line. "Ms. La Rue is not a patient woman. I fear that if we do not comply, the deal will be void, and we will be at a loss for witch allies against Dahlia. Speaking of which, I haven't yet inquired, were you successful in locating Freya?"

"We have located her," said Finn. "But she does not wish to meet the rest of you yet. I ask that you respect that."

There was a pause. "I can respect that, yes," said Elijah. "However, Niklaus and Rebekah are quite eager—"

"More like impatient," interrupted Eisa. "I know Nik. And I know he's eager to meet Freya so that he can decide if she can be trusted to help us defeat Dahlia."

"Where are you now?" inquired Elijah. "Is that why you are gone? You're meeting Freya?"

"Sort of. Be patient, brother, we will tell you everything once she consents to it. I don't wish for us to rush her."

"Very well. I will be unavailable the rest of the day," answered Elijah. "If you require anything, please speak with Rebekah."

"Unavailable?" asked Eisa curiously. "What are you up to?"

"I am simply going to be unavailable—"

"Wait a minute," said Eisa, smirking. "You said you went to see Josephine with Gia?"

"I hardly see how that's relevant—"

"You're going on a date with her, aren't you? Elijah, I had no idea you could be such a player—"

He hung up, and Eisa laughed triumphantly. Finn was confused until Eisa said, "When they were at the safe house, he hooked up with my witch, Isela. But he also has feelings for Gia, one of Marcel's vampires."

Finn cringed. "He's juggling two women at once?"

"Well, our mother's torture left him addled beyond repair. He's not shying away from his darker side as much as he used to. I suppose he's got the right idea, sleeping around to see what makes him happy."

Finn made a face, but his retort was left unsaid as he chose to change the subject. "I must ask, will we be revealing that Freya is the one responsible for the witches escaping? She admitted it to us very openly, even said she hoped it wasn't a problem."

"We probably shouldn't reveal that," said Eisa as they reached the main entrance of the warehouse, just as Freya walking out.

"How did it go, Sister?" inquired Finn.

Freya beamed. "It went well. I asked our father to bring me the materials needed to defeat Dahlia. It will take a bit of time, but we will be ready to kill her when the time comes. I believe I am ready to meet our siblings. Tomorrow, perhaps, all of them. Today, however, I would just like to meet Niklaus."

"Why just Niklaus?" asked Finn. "Surely meeting Rebekah or Kol or Elijah would be better to ease in—"

"I sense Niklaus will need the most time to warm up to me. Could we perhaps go to his home now?"

Finn and Eisa shared a look once again, before Eisa pulled out her phone. "Alright, I'll ask if he's willing."

"Eisa," said Klaus, sounding delighted. "Shall I ask the servants to fix up your room?"

"I'm not going to stay, Nik. Finn and I are with Freya. She'd like to meet you."

A pause. "If you are going to bring her, do so now. Rebekah is out of the house. I'd rather she not be butting in and criticizing."

They made their way to the Compound as soon as the call ended. Freya was quiet once more, not wanting to give details about her time with Mikael. The lingering smile was enough to let Eisa know that Mikael had been perfectly civil with his favorite daughter.

And as she looked in the rearview mirror, Finn's face let her know that he, too, was happy, with his real favorite sister.

"Sister!" said Klaus when he saw Eisa walk in. "Drinks are in the lounge. The wolves were all too eager to have a night off."

"Great," said Eisa quietly. She turned around as Finn led Freya in. Klaus hardly gave her a second look before making his way to the lounge to wait for them.

Freya was looking around the house as they walked, nearly tripping on her own feet. Eisa was just keeping her eyes downcast, not wanting to catch the slightest glimpse of Hayley, who surely hadn't left with the rest of the wolves. There was no way Klaus would have let Hope leave the Compound.

"Niklaus," said Finn, tucking his hands behind his back. "This is Freya. Freya, this is Niklaus."

Klaus nodded, and Freya waved. "Hello, Brother."

"Brother," repeated Klaus. "How can I be certain that word applies to me, when it comes to you?" He looked at his other two siblings. "Have you proven that she is our sister, instead of an impostor bringing about fairy tales and lies?"

Freya raised a brow. "I am your sister. Whatever you think of me, whatever doubts you harbor, I ask you set them aside. We all have one thing in common. Our mother destroyed us. She destroyed everything she touched. It is because of her destruction that I stand before you only now, instead of a thousand years ago."

"We know nothing of you," said Klaus a bit coldly. "You speak as though we are familiars, when truly, we are not."

Freya lifted her hands, and Klaus let out a grunt, holding his head. When Freya lowered her hands, she asked, "Do you still think me a liar?"

"That proves nothing but your ability to conjure illusions," said Klaus defensively.

"I came to speak to you about Dahlia," said Freya. "You should know, if I've woken from my slumber, she has as well. Once she's sensed your child's magic, she will come for her. And she has the power to kill anyone who stands in her way... unless we kill her first."

"That's quite convenient, isn't it?" said Klaus. "You show up in the nick of time to help us kill the woman with whom you've spent a thousand years!"

"Oh, Niklaus, don't be such a prat!" hissed Eisa.

"I accepted this visit to ensure you and Finn were not being manipulated by a convincing actress pretending to be our long lost sister—"

"So this is about protecting us, Nik? I assure you, she's proven herself countless times. We should be lucky she's here now instead of when it's far too late. Freya knows how to defeat Dahlia."

"Do you really?" inquired Klaus, looking at his eldest sister.

Freya nodded. "Given the proper materials, yes. I've sent Father to procure them."

Eisa and Finn both forgot to tell her that she probably shouldn't mention this.

"You put the life of my child in the hands of Mikael?" he spat.

"Fortunately for Hope, Mikael is eager to do Freya's bidding," Eisa cut in quickly.

"He has no idea the materials will help your daughter," said Freya. "In fact, I did not mention that she is still alive. He believes he is helping me free myself from my captor. Which is true."

"She's going to help us, Niklaus," said Finn, making Klaus roll his eyes. "I suggest you listen, because otherwise, I will not lift a finger for your cause."

"Yes, please, Nik," insisted Eisa. "Freya is willing to help us. All you need to do is be respectful. No one's asking for you to like her. She is a new person, yes. But you cannot seriously believe that I would risk Hope's life. I trust this is our sister. I know it."

Klaus gritted his teeth, but sighed. "I propose a family brunch tomorrow. Eleven o'clock. All of us will be there. We can evaluate Freya there."

Eisa shrugged, figuring this was the nicest he could be, given the fact there was a stranger in his house. Freya nodded appreciatively, refraining from taking a drink. "If you would please, Finn," she said, "I would like to return to my living quarters. Would you be so kind as to escort me? It's not very far from here."

"I'll drive us," offered Eisa, patting her thighs. "Thank you, Nik."

He half-smiled, clearly wishing to interrogate Freya further, but holding back. "I'd recommend you speak to Hayley first, Eisa."

She stopped in the doorway. "I'd rather not."

"Jackson is not here. She is expecting you, in your old room. I suggest you don't keep her waiting, or you'll find her at your door."

Eisa sighed, looking at Finn and Freya as if to let them know that she'd be at the car soon. She walked to her room, finding Hayley was, indeed, waiting for her.

"You wished to speak with me?" said Eisa. "You could have called."

Hayley clasped her hands together. "Elijah told me you dodged his calls. I figured you'd do the same if I called you."

"I said you could call me if you needed me. I wouldn't ignore you. Elijah's simply being insistent on me returning to live here."

"Well, you should. You shouldn't have had to leave just because of me."

"It's for the best," said Eisa. "I'd rather not hear anything..."

Hayley turned red, and Eisa figured that she had, indeed, slept with Jackson. "Right," said Eisa, nodding slowly. "Well, I'd rather not disturb you, if you're going to get back to that."

"I-I barely slept with him today," said Hayley quietly. "I didn't want to. It felt... strange."

"Good for you. Consummate the marriage. Have fun. As long as you like it. The marriage should at least be tolerable. If it's enjoyable, it's better. You don't have to tell me any of this. The point is, he's a good man."

"He is a good man." She had clearly enjoyed it, but didn't wish to confirm it aloud. Eisa figured Hayley didn't want to hurt her feelings. "I don't want to lose my affections for you, Eisa."

"Well, you have to," Eisa answered. "My family was destroyed by Esther's infidelity. By her lies. I love Nik, and I'm glad to have him as a brother. But my family would have been quite different if my mother never slept with Ansel. Hope deserves functional parents and stepparents. You need to let me go, because otherwise, there will be problems between you and Jackson, and that will only hurt your daughter. She doesn't need that."

"Eisa, I don't want to let you go. What we have—"

"Had," Eisa corrected. "We can't have it anymore, Hayley. We can't be meeting like this, when Jackson isn't here. I won't help you be unfaithful to him. Cheating isn't just kissing and sleeping with another. It's also having an emotional attachment to someone who isn't your spouse."

"How do I get over you?" asked Hayley. "The only way I see it working is if you compel me. And I don't want to be compelled. I don't want to forget everything we did together. So tell me how, Eisa. If you want me to let you go—"

"Oh my bloody fucking hell, Hayley, it's not just what I want!" said Eisa, losing her temper. "I know, without needing to ask, that Jackson wants it too, he just won't tell you, because he's afraid of making you angry! It's what you need to do, because I will not help you cheat on your husband. We can't be together anymore. Accept that."

"You being short to me isn't going to make me—"

"Maybe I should be short with you. Maybe I should be cruel, because let's face it, Hayley, I am cruel. I'm a monster who hardly has a shred of her humanity left. I like hurting people, so what's one more on the list? I don't even know how you can think to cling to me, knowing what a horrible person I am. The longer you hold on, the more you set yourself up for being hurt by me. I don't have the patience for this, Hayley. I am trying to withdraw, I'm trying to ignore you, in the hopes you can have a happy marriage to the man you actually married. Stop this. Stop trying to talk to me, stop trying to hold onto memories that don't matter anymore. All it's doing is hurting me!"

Hayley flinched as Eisa started to cry. "I've had to endure centuries of being persecuted and killed just because I love people of the same sex as me," she sobbed, grabbing onto the wall to hold herself up. "I put a target on the back of every person I've ever loved. I can't do this anymore, Hayley, I can't keep pushing you away only for you to refuse to listen. Because if I lose you again, I won't survive it. I'm begging you to leave me alone. I am trying to pull away because I hateJackson. I hate the fact that you married him, and I want more than anything to put my hands around his throat and kill him. But I can't. Because he's good for you. He won't get you killed. He's a socially acceptable, perfectly stable partner, and he'll always be kind to you. Me? I could snap at any second. I'm snapping now, because I want you, and I can't have you, and I hate myself for it. So stop it. Let me the hell go, because if you don't, it will be the death of both of us."

Hayley swallowed hard as Eisa dried her eyes quickly. "Eisa, I'm sorry," she whispered. "It's not easy for me to shove aside my feelings. You... you don't give yourself enough credit. You're good, too."

"Not as good as him," she cut in. "I'm done having this conversation."

She walked away, and Hayley didn't follow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

669K 18.8K 92
Trapped for a thousand years in a coffin, only to be awoken by the brother of the person she'd been hidden from in the first place. It seemed her onl...
94.6K 2.7K 33
"I can't lose anyone else, Elijah. Especially not by my own hand." New Orleans. A city run by the supernatural. When Elijah Mikaelson learns of Hayl...
218K 6.8K 38
Despite knowing what she was in for, she made a choice to help the Crescent Wolf Pack, believing that it could bring the prosperity and peace they'd...
24.1K 1.3K 28
After being released from the worst prison imaginable, she was tasked with a murder she knew she could never bring herself to carry out. Rather than...