Because You Love Me

By thegirlwhowrites11

Alaina Evans was considered dangerous and locked away...until the Death Eaters came for her. She was saved b... More

1. There's Something Wrong
2. Welcome Home
3. Meeting Harry
4. The Last Stand
6. A Night at Spinner's End
7. The Boy Who Lived
8. Arrangements
9. Number 4 Privet Drive
10. The Funeral
11. Sirius Justice
12. Finally Eleven
13. An Old Friend
14. Muggle Studies
15. Welcome to Hogwarts
16. The Hogwarts Express
17. Sorted
18. First Classes
19. A Lesson in Flying
20. Potions
21. Late Night Talks
22. Suspicious Minds
23. Midnight Adventure
24. Halloween Blues
25. Troll in the Dungeon
26. Jinxing the Broom
27. See Me After Class
28. The Mirror of Erised
29. Christmas
30. Their Deepest and Most Desperate Desires
31. The Sorcerer's Stone
32. Detention With Hagrid
33. Something Wicked
34. Fluffy's Secret
35. The Trap Door
36. Two-Faced Villian
37. Hospitalized
38. Points for Gryffindor
39. Going Home
40. Blissful Summer
41. Dobby
42. Meeting Malfoy
43. Another Year Begins
44. The Elf's Warning
45. Second Year Classes
46. Mudblood
47. Enemies of the Heir
48. What Lies Within
49. Rogue
50. Dobby Returns
51. Moaning Myrtle
52. Parselmouth
53. Petrified
54. Christmas Revelations
55. The Diary
56. Wrong Place, Wrong Time
57. Into the Chamber
58. Tom Marvolo Riddle
59. Reborn
60. Voldemort Has Returned
61. Dead or Alive
62. A Marked Man
63. Free
64. Escape
65. Big Black Dog
66. There's Something Out There
67. Out in the Open
68. Everything's Changed
69. Outcast
70. Lupin's Request
71. Buckbeak and Malfoy
72. Sighted
73. Severus and the Boggart
74. A Shocking Revelation
75. Trouble in Hogsmeade
76. The Doctor and Sirius Black
77. The Fat Lady
78. Freefall
79. The Marauder's Map
80. The Firebolt
81. Return of the Black Dog
82. Seeing the Impossible
83. A Rat Among Them
84. The Whomping Willow
85. The Truth About Scabbers
86. Attack of the Wolf
87. The Stag
88. Cleared
89. Preparations
90. Nightmares
91. Haunted
92. A Wedding at Hogwarts
93. The Message
94. Seven
95. Burning at Both Ends
96. The Exchange
97. The Death of Harry
98. Shattered
99. Reunited
100. New Beginnings

5. Dead and Gone

14.9K 546 65
By thegirlwhowrites11

Sirius landed on a deserted street a few minutes later down an alley in Godric's Hollow close to the Potter's house.  He rode the rest of the way over there on the pavement, not wanting to attract attention to himself.  Most of the Muggles that had been gathered there were gone now and the news crews were packing up their stuff.  He heard a bystander say they had attributed the noises to a Halloween prank and they'd been wasting their time.  Sirius parked his bike on the curb and kept on walking.  He knew the house was there.  He looked around to make sure no one was around and then he broke the charm around it.  He had been one of the wizards who had cast it.  The house suddenly reappeared, the illusion gone.

Sirius gasped out loud.  There was a hole where part of the roof used to be.  It look like it had been blasted, probably by a stray spell, he reasoned.  He took a deep breath and then went toward the house.  He got as far as the front porch before his stomach sank to his knees.  If James and Lily were alive, he would be surprised.  There was a hole where the front door should have been and wooden pieces laying all over the place.  He carefully stepped inside, sure not to make any noise in case there was someone still in the house.  He went through the living room, which had burn holes in the walls and in the furniture.  It was clear there was a battle here.

He went into the kitchen, but it was untouched.  This could mean only one thing.  Lily and Alaina must have been upstairs.  He walked up the stairs.  It wasn't until he had almost gotten to the top that he saw feet dangling down.  His heart caught in his throat as he craned his neck higher.  He took another few steps and his knees buckled.  He hit the floor beside the body he couldn't tear his eyes away from.  It was James.  His eyes were wide and fearful, but there was no mistaking he was dead.

Tears filled Sirius's eyes.  He placed his hands on James's face.  His body was still a little warm, but just barely.  He hadn't been dead long.

"I'm so sorry," Sirius sobbed.  "I should have been here.  I'm so sorry."

Tears poured down his face now.  The house was eerily silent.  He could hear nothing but the sound of his own breathing.  Summoning all the strength he had left, he got to his feet.  The nursery was just down the hall.  That was the next place he had to check.  He could already see there was no door.  He trudged down there anyway, mentally preparing himself for what he might be about to see.  He didn't even make it to the doorway before more tears appeared in his eyes.  Lying in the floor right in front of him was a body.  And by the color of her hair he could tell it was Alaina.  Her hair was just a little bit darker than Lily's, a subtle difference only someone who had seen them close together would know.  He rushed forward into the nursery to see what other damage was done.  He noticed then the small pool of blood that had spilled from her mouth.  It was not hard to see that Alaina was dead.  At least her eyes were shut.  He didn't even bother feeling for her temperature.  What he saw spoke volumes.

Sirius closed his eyes.  He didn't want to see anymore.  And then something made a rustling noise that made his eyes fly open.  He whirled around, pointing his wand.  He hadn't even thought of the possibility Voldemort could have still been there.  His eyes fell on a sad and silent Harry.  Relieved, he retracted his wand.  He picked him up and held him there for a moment.

"Don't worry, little guy," he told him.  "Everything's going to be alright."  He squeezed him tight.  And then he noticed Lily.

He swallowed hard, lowering Harry back into his crib.  He walked over to Lily's body, bent down and felt her skin.  It was cold.  They were all gone.  A surge of grief shot through him.  Sirius buried his face in his hands and tears poured in torrents from his eyes.  This was all too horrible.  Harry was an orphan and he had lost two of his only friends in the world.  Then a sudden thought occurred to him.  How in the world did Voldemort find him?

The wheels in his mind began turning.  There was only one way Voldemort could have known where James and Lily were.  His blood boiled inside his veins.  Peter had been their secret keeper.  Only he could have told him.  But he was their friend, wasn't he?  They had all been together for so many years.  Why would he sell them out to Voldemort?

Sirius clenched his fists together.  Seeing nothing but red, he flew down the stairs out of the house.  He was so consumed with his thirst for vengeance now that he forgot all about the baby he left all alone in the darkness of the nursery with nothing but the flashes of lightning to keep him company.

~ * ~

The storm had been brewing for a while.  Thunder rumbled angrily across the sky as he walked beneath the black clouds hanging above him.  Accompanying the noise, were bright flashes of lightning that were getting more and more frequent by the second.

Severus's heart was thumping in his chest as he cut through the dark passageway.  Rumors had flooded Spinner's End of something strange and mysterious happening in Godric's Hollow.  He knew Voldemort had been searching tirelessly for the Potters because he had gone to great lengths to keep him from finding them.  He kept Dumbledore informed on his master's whereabouts and plans and he kept Voldemort informed on Dumbledore for the most part.  He left out all of the essential information, giving him just enough to stay satisfied with his service.  He wasn't sure that being a double agent was something he could keep up, but he was certainly willing to try.  Especially if it would help him keep Lily safe.  He stopped suddenly in the middle of the street. His heart sank.  He could see the house.  The Order's enchantments were gone.

Severus walked calmly toward it, trying his best to keep his emotions in check.  He didn't want to lose it in case he needed concentration.  Voldemort might still be inside.  He could only imagine what he might do to the baby when he killed him.  He spoke so highly of his other achievements and trophies.  A chill ran down his spine.  He didn't even want to think about it.  

He climbed the stairs and stepped up onto the porch, the anticipation heightening with every step he took.  The place looked like a disaster area.  There were chips of wood everywhere.  He followed the path of destruction all the way up the stairs.  There he found James's body, seemingly discarded only because he stood in the path of Voldemort's true target.  

Severus kept his eyes straight forward.  There was only one person he was looking for.  His heart caught in his throat as he laid his eyes on a pile of flaming red hair.  It was a bit darker than he remembered Lily's being, which meant that it was Alaina.  He hurried to the room before him, but he didn't go to Alaina when he got inside.  The room was a mess.  The biggest part of the fighting looked like it had taken place in the nursery.  He stopped to look at the gaping hole now in the roof... and that is when he saw her.

Lily was lying on the floor no more than a foot from where he had stopped.  Severus felt like he couldn't catch his breath.  He simply dropped to his knees on the floor.

"No!" he cried.  "Oh, Lily!"

Tears streamed down his face.  He picked her up gently and held her there in his arms, squeezing tightly.  His face distorted in pain.  He couldn't keep the howl of agony inside any longer.  He let it fly, tears hitting Lily's pale face.  When he started sobbing, that made Harry cry out, but Severus didn't seem to notice him.  He was too busy noticing his heart breaking into a million pieces to pay attention to anything else.  

"He said he would spare you," he blubbered.  "He said he-"

Another wail escaped from his lungs.  He didn't know if he had ever felt such grief in his life.  Was it possible for the pieces of your heart to break as well?  Because Severus felt like it shattered when he first saw her, and now as he held her there in his arms, whatever was left of his heart was breaking into even tinier pieces.  He was devastated.  He held her a moment longer and then laid her gently back on the floor the way he had found her.  He had to pull himself together.  He hadn't lost it like that since his days at Hogwarts, the day he had called Lily a Mudblood.  He gulped back more tears and turned around.

The sight of Harry standing there in the crib in front of him was unsettling.  He hadn't expected him to be there.  He wasn't sure of what to do.  Should he leave him there with the rest of his family?  Or should he take him to Dumbledore?  He pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration.  He couldn't think straight.  His grief was clouding his judgement.  He took a deep breath.  He should probably take the baby with him.  But then again, what if one of Potter's friends came looking for him?  He stared at the jagged lightning shaped scar on the baby's forehead.  Severus frowned.  He hadn't noticed that before.  He leaned down close to him.  He had been touched by dark magic.  That much was certain.  Had Voldemort tried to kill him?  And if so, why did he fail?  Where was he now?

Severus looked around the room, foolishly thinking there might be some clue as to what had happened, but there wasn't.  There wasn't one trace Voldemort had even been there other than James, Lily, and Alaina's bodies.  A sudden thought hit him.  Alaina!  He hadn't even checked to make sure if she was dead or not.

He walked over to her body and knelled down beside of her.  He saw the pool of blood beside of her mouth.  He felt like he already knew the answer.  He used his index and middle fingers to feel for a pulse around her neck.  She felt like ice just like Lily had.  That's why when he felt a faint heart beat beneath his fingers, he jerked them back.  His eyes widened.  Alaina was alive.

"Alaina?" Severus whispered.  He moved her hair away from her ear so it wouldn't hinder her hearing.  She was lying facing the left side of the wall, so that was the only ear she could hear out of at the moment.  The other was pressed to the floor.  "Alaina, if you can hear me, please respond.  Let me know you're okay."

He watched her intensely, searching for some kind of sign, but she didn't move.  He sighed.  Maybe he had just wanted to feel a pulse so badly that he imagined it.  He tried again.  And there was no mistaking it this time.  There was definitely a pulse.  He studied her for a moment.  Her wand was in her hand.  He glanced back at the entrance way, trying to figure out exactly what had happened.  She must have tried to bar the door and was blasted out of the way.

"Alaina!" he said louder.

Exasperated, Severus got to his feet.  He stooped back down and gathered Alaina into his arms carefully.  He didn't want to move her too much in case anything was broken.  He couldn't get help at this late hour and he didn't want to just leave her there to die.  He took one last look at Harry.  The small baby was reaching for him, opening and closing his hands, and crying.  A lump formed in his throat.  What kind of awful person would he be if he didn't take him too?  He sighed deeply.

"I'll come back for you, little one," he told him.

With this settled in is mind, he got a good grip on Alaina and disapparated.  He was only gone a few minutes.  He popped back in the nursery and reluctantly picked Harry up from his crib.  Even as small as he was, he looked like James.  Severus wrinkled his nose.  He only hoped he was nothing like him.  He wrapped his arms around Harry tightly.

Harry gazed up at him curiously.  That's when Severus noticed for the first time, while he may look like his father, he had his mother's gorgeous emerald green eyes.  He turned away from him, trying not to cry, as he disapparated, Harry secure in his arms.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

280K 6.1K 38
Nothing would of prepared Celia Malfoy for what she was about to be faced with. In her last year of Hogwarts coming to a close, the Potions Professo...
431K 13.8K 28
*Featured in Wattpad @Fanfic Recommendations* Severus Snape could not possibly be more focused on his tasks now that he is aware of the Dark Lord's f...
57.9K 2.2K 32
Emma Moore, professor in Healing at Hogwarts, has to suppress her feelings for her old best friend and now colleague Severus Snape, who she hasn't se...
13K 393 22
"You have no right interfering with my life, you have made it abundantly clear that I am nothing to you," she spat at him. She took a deep breath an...