Love at Sea (Finnick Odair)

By BeachSunshine

โFinnick and Taiya have kept up with their training more than any other tribute,.โž Haymitch said shaking his... More

Cast
Playlist
ACT ONE - The Beginning
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Tributes of the 67th Hunger Games
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
ACT TWO - The Recovery
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
ACT THREE - Catching Fire
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
ACT FOUR - Mockingjay - Part One
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
ACT FIVE: Mockingjay - Part Two
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
ACT SIX - The Aftermath
Chapter 1
Chapter 2

Chapter 16

26.6K 682 284
By BeachSunshine

"You look like you didn't sleep a wink," Tyler said, breaking the silence as they ate breakfast the next morning.

"I didn't," Taiya muttered as she stared at Finnick. He'd been looking down at his plate all morning, refusing to make eye contact with her.

"So you guys know you get two and a half days to practice together and then the last afternoon is the private sessions in front of the Game makers?" Tyler confirmed and Taiya and Theo nodded. "Good. Ok, now, I'm going to be running most of the training. I have the most experience, Finnick will be organising sponsors. I assume you want me to coach you together?" he asked.

"Most definitely," Theo assured with his mouth full of food.

"Manners," Moxie scolded quietly.

"Thought so. Now I know your skills. Taiya you're good with knives and you're agile. Then you've got strength on your side, so if you two stick through it together you're going to make a great team. The main thing I want you two to focus on is survival skills. There were complaints last year about the arena being boring so I don't think they'll be wanting to make that mistake two years in a row," Tyler explained and Taiya sucked in a sharp breath. "Hey, it'll be fine," he smiled lightly as he watched her tense up. "But I'm just saying I want you guys to pay extra attention to the survival stations."

"What did you make of 1 and 2?" Theo asked.

"2 is a threat. I think 1 will be ok. The kids from 1 look like they don't know each other at all."

"And that's a disadvantage?" Taiya asked, finally looking away from Finnick.

"Definitely. In situations like this, it's helpful to have someone watching your back. If you don't care whether your district partner lives or dies, well it means you've got no one watching your back," Tyler shrugged.

"What about district 2?" Theo asked.

"They're the same age. That means they were in the same year at their academy. They've been brought up together, they know how the other one fights, how they think. They'll be looking out for each other. So it wouldn't hurt to stick with the careers at the start, but if 2 starts to dominate, if either of the kid's from 1 die, then you both need to split from them. Got it?" he asks and Taiya and Theo nod. "Now for them to take you seriously they need to know you're strong enough. You want them on your side and you want to scare the other districts away so I want you to show them what you can do. So Taiya, that means grab knives, spears, just make sure you hit the target every time. Theo, spears and trident. The people of the Capitol love Finnick," he said only to be interrupted by Finnick who snorted loudly, making Taiya look back at him. "They love Finnick," he continued, "which means you need to remind them of him. It's a sure way to get you sponsors. Things to avoid, Taiya, don't show them how fast you are. They don't need to know how quickly you can escape them, and Theo no hand to hand combat training, you still need to surprise people somehow. I need you both to focus and show off your skills, but I mainly want you to focus on survival. Any questions?"

"Do you want us at stations separately?" Theo asked.

"Absolutely not. You're a unit. Stick together at all times."

*********************

"Smile," Theo whispered to Taiya as they stepped into the training rooms. "Put on your mask, it's an act remember."

"Got it," Taiya nodded as they walked further into the rooms and join the circle of tributes milling around waiting for everyone to arrive.

"Who are we waiting on?" Theo asked her.

"Umm," she looked around. "3, 7, 10, 11 and 12."

"Ok," he nodded. "We came at a good time." He then threw an arm around her shoulder.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"We're a unit remember," he quoted Tyler.

As other tributes filter into the rooms, Taiya takes her time to analyse everyone. There is a noticeable decline in health as the districts go on. The girl from 12 is the same age as her, but half the size. You can see it in their bones. The only ones that look healthy as such, were them and the tributes from 1 and 2.

"Theo, they're children," Taiya stuttered as she looked around. The two tributes from 10, were young, too young.

Theo shook his head and turned her so she couldn't see them anymore. "They're not children anymore ok? They're competition." Taiya glared at him incredulously. "Can't afford to empathise for them, Tay. Look, with how everyone is sizing them up, I doubt they'll make it past the first night. It's better that way," he assured, touching her chin quickly.

"Fine, fine, ok. Where do we go first?" Taiya whispered to Theo as the head trainer ran through the stations.

"Weapons. That's where 1 and 2 will go," Theo said, jerking his head to the station filled with deadly weapons.

"How do we talk to them?" Taiya asked as the head trainer finished up talking.

"Like this," Theo smirked as he steered her over to where the tributes from 1 and 2 were waiting for them. "I'm Theo, this is Taiya, District 4."

"Well well, 4," the boy from 2 smirked back. "You two look half decent. One looks very decent," he winked at Taiya who wanted more than anything to shrink into Theo's side but stood straight and smiled confidently back at him. He nodded when he saw this. "All right, well I'm Marcus and this is Calista," he said gesturing to his District partner.

"I'm Cotton, District 1," the other girl said introducing herself, failing to introduce her district partner as the others had done.

"I'm... I'm Hero," the boy spoke up, glaring at Cotton.

"Got any strengths you can bring to the group, 4?" Calista asked.

"I want to hear about your strengths first," Theo snorted.

"Fair enough, fair enough. Why don't we work in teams?" Marcus suggested. "How about Taiya, Hero and I work on one station and the rest of you work over there and we can evaluate each other and compare notes at lunch?"

Divide and concur. That was going to be District 2's strategy. They knew splitting Theo and Taiya up made them weaker. They were playing the Game even in training.

"I was hoping you'd suggest that," Taiya flirted. Tyler may have told them to stick by each other's sides but if they refused now it'd make them seem co-dependent.

"You ever thrown a knife before?" Marcus asked her as he grabbed a knife and stood ready to throw it.

"We have academy's in 4 too you know, but please go ahead and demonstrate," she challenged with a smile.

Marcus smirked before he threw the blade, it landed directly in the heart of the dummy. "I just figured as the mayor's daughter you wouldn't have needed as much training," he taunted.

"Your dad's the mayor of 4?" Hero asked.

"He was," Taiya answered tersely as she stepped forward to pick up a knife. "He died. But you seem awful interested in me Marcus, got a little crush?" she asked.

Marcus smiled at her. "Just like to know who I'm allied with."

"Well, yes," Taiya mused as she ran her finger over the blade. "My dad was the mayor, but trust me. I know plenty," she said as she threw the blade. It landed directly in the head of the dummy and she turned to Marcus and Hero to smirk. "You're up Hero," she sung as she stepped over to Marcus.

"Not bad Ambersnow," Hero nodded. He stepped forward to throw his knife, which landed just on the dummy's shoulder.

"So why the interest in my life?" she asked Marcus as he picked up a spear.

"Well you're the only career who didn't volunteer," he answered. "Every one of us chose to be here but you. I thought that'd mean you'd be a weak link. Lucky you've surprised me so far."

"Lucky for who?" she asked as he sent the spear sailing through the dummy's heart again.

"Well, lucky for you I guess," he shrugged. "Not such an easy target anymore."

"Is that how you're meant to treat allies?" Taiya asked as she walked forward with a spear. She had to concentrate, she was ok with a spear, she just needed enough force to show she was a threat.

"You're meant to evaluate allies," Marcus replied, "which is the whole point of this little exercise," he said waving his fingers around the group. "That way when we all go to our floors tonight we can tell our mentors how everyone went."

"Sounds like you've got it all planned out," Taiya noted as she threw the spear. It landed just outside the heart target on the dummy.

"I've got ideas," he smirked down at her.

"Good to know," she whispered as she stepped closer to him. "See you at lunch," she winked as she stepped away.

"Giving up on weapon already?" he asked.

"Theo and I know we can throw weapons. I want to work on something I can't do. Catch you later Marcus, Hero," she winked at the boy from 1 before she strutted off from the group and towards Theo. "Let's go try something else, I'm bored," she said nonchalantly to him smiling at the other two girls before walking off to the knot tying station.

"I didn't like that," Theo said as they reached the station.

"We don't need your help thanks," Taiya said to the station instructor before she could offer help. They were from 4, they were raised tying knots.

"They're going to try and do the same thing to us in the arena."

"I know," Taiya nodded. "They want to separate us. They know that's what they have to do. It means they see us as a threat."

"You hit the targets well," Theo smiled.

"You were watching?"

"Yeah of course. Got to keep my eye on you," he laughed.

"How were the girls?"

"They're threats. Girl from 1 more so than 2. What'd you get?"

"The opposite," Taiya told him. "Boy from 2, Marcus, he's strong. The boy from 1 I think he's intimidated by it all, I don't know if that will last though. We need to be wary. They're watching us too closely, they want to learn how to get to us. They'll stick with us until the majority of tributes are gone and then they'll turn on us."

"Hey, it's ok, while they were watching us we got to watch them. They gave us as many hints as we gave them."

"Look," Taiya nodded her head over to the stands where the game makers had just entered and began taking their seats.

"Game makers," Theo glared. "Come on, let's go to the edible plant's station," he suggested, pulling her attention away from the people constructing their deaths. "Laugh, laugh now," he instructed quickly as he flung an arm over her shoulder.

Taiya let out a giggle and reached up to tap his hand in amusement. "What was that for?" she asked with a wide smile on her face.

"The pair from 11 were watching us. It's all part of the game, Taiya."

*********************

Tyler and Moxie jumped up from the couch as soon as she and Theo entered the District 4 floor later that evening. Taiya looked around the room to notice a certain someone missing.

"You tell them," she said bitterly to Theo. "I'm going to go shower," she said before stomping off to her room. As she went to enter her room she looked further down the hall in the direction of Finnick's room. She shook her head and opened the door to her room before freezing, sighing, and storming off towards his room. She opened his door and saw him lying down on the bed. "Seriously?" she snapped and he sprung up to look at her, not having noticed her enter.

"Taiya," he breathed.

"You're just lying here? I just finished my first day of training Finnick and you're nowhere in sight! Are you serious? Tyler and Moxie were there waiting for us and you're just... lying here."

"I didn't think you'd want to see me," he said quietly.

Taiya pursed her lips angrily before shutting the door behind her and storming up to him. "Are you going to tell me the truth?" she asked and he stared at her silently. "Look, Finnick, I don't believe you. I know you, I know who you are. You tell me you've had a crush on me for years, you finally get me, and then as soon as I get reaped you cheat on me in the Capitol? No," she said shaking her head. "That's not you." Finnick just sat there, saying nothing. "Say something," she pleaded. "I'm going into the Hunger Games, Finnick! I might not make it back out. You're not seriously going to let me go in there with this unresolved are you?" Taiya groaned before she walked over to his bed and sat down next to him. "You've always trusted me. You told me lots of personal things. But you won't tell me what's wrong now. I want to help, but you have to let me in."

"You can't help."

"Finnick... give me a reason to fight to get out of there," she said quietly and his eyes widened as he looked up at her.

He lifted his hands and ran them down his face. "Ok, ok. Let's do this," he said grasping her hand and tugging her into the bathroom.

"What are you doing?" she asked as he shut the door and ran over and turned on the shower. "Finnick I am not getting in the shower with you," she snapped as she crossed her arms.

"What? No, I'm not suggesting that," he denied. "I know they don't have cameras or microphones in the bedrooms and bathrooms but I want to be extra careful so the shower will drown out our talking."

"What could be that secretive?" she asked confusedly as she sat down on the edge of the bathtub as Finnick paced the room.

"You wanted to know? You're absolutely positive you want to know?" he asked and she nodded. "If you hate me after this... I'll understand. No one knows but the other victors."

"You're kind of scaring me."

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," he apologised as he came and sat down beside her. "Do you remember how I told you Snow offered me a job when I turned 16?"

"Yeah, he came to your house on your birthday and then you freaked out."

Finnick nodded. "I didn't want the job. I still don't," he said, his voice shaking.

Taiya's eyes softened and she leaned forward and held his hand, nodding at him to continue.

"He told me that influential people in the Capitol often find certain victors... desirable," he said looking up at the ceiling as he squeezed her hand.

"Desirable? What does that mean?" she asked.

"It means he wanted to sell me."

"Sell?" she frowned confused before it dawned on her. "Oh my god."

"I said no immediately. I wasn't that kind of person. I'd almost kissed you, I didn't want to ruin that, but he said I didn't have a choice. That there would be repercussions if I said no. I still refused. When we came out of the study he just went straight for you. I panicked. He was taunting me with you and you were oblivious."

Taiya's grip on his hand loosened as her eyes widened. "What did he threaten you with?" she asked as her brain began to connect the dots.

Finnick squeezed her hand tighter. "He said he'd tear my family apart, he said he'd make your life a living hell first."

Taiya gasped as a tear fell down her cheeks. "A week later our parents were dead," she realised. "That's why you came to the beach so worried," she moaned as she stood up and began pacing. "You said your parents didn't invite mine onto the yacht, but my dad said yours invited them. If they didn't invite each other... it was set up," she said as she turned to face him. "And when it exploded, they were meant to be there!" The tears were flowing freely now. "That's why you kept apologising, you were saying it was your fault."

"It was my fault," he cried. "I killed my parents and I killed your parents."

Taiya shook her head through the tears and knelt down in front of him, grabbing his hands. "It's not your fault. You can't blame yourself. I don't blame you. I didn't then, and I don't now." Tanya rested her head on his knee. She knew they needed to finish this conversation. "He sent you to the Capitol a couple of months after? I heard you and Mags talking when you got home. You were saying you couldn't do it."

"He gave me one more chance. He said it was my last chance to prove myself before he came for you. I went, I knew I had to... but I couldn't. I couldn't do it. I'm sorry I couldn't do it."

"Don't apologise. That's why you were so hyper-protective after that. Why you followed me around everywhere."

"I have to. I have to apologise. Why do you think you're here?"

Taiya closed her eyes as she pulled away from Finnick and slumped herself down against the bathtub. Finnick sighed and lowered himself down next to her.

"I heard you. On the train, arguing with Tyler," she said quietly. "I didn't really understand. I thought you might've been drunk. But I get it now. He did this to me, didn't he? I heard you, every name in the reaping bowl was mine."

Finnick nodded without saying anything.

"And he made you feel guilty. Made you feel as though you couldn't tell me. I'm so sorry Finnick," she sobbed as she reached over and pulled him in for a hug. "I meant it when I promised you I wouldn't leave you. I could never hate you for this. I could never. I'm so sorry you felt you couldn't talk to me. I'm sorry you had to keep this inside of you. I'm here for you Finnick. For as long as I breathe I'll be here for you."

He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her forehead. "I'm going to help you win this. That's what I was doing last night. I have to obey. He could do whatever he likes to you and Theo once you're in there. I can't make him mad. But the woman I had to visit last night promised to sponsor you. That's how we can beat this. Sponsor for you is my payment."

Taiya and Finnick didn't speak anymore. They just curled up into each other, holding each other as they tried to cry through the pain. Little did they know the pain was only just beginning.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

707K 25.1K 68
The life of a victor isn't always great. Amelia Sawyer knew that all too well. After winning the 67th Hunger Games, she found herself back in Distric...
50.6K 1K 43
Cordelia Benham a 16 year old girl gets reaped into the Hunger Games. Cordelia was left to fend for herself and her little siblings when both her par...
4.5K 103 14
Isla Crawford won her games nine years ago. Only she couldn't remember how. They programmed something into her head. The capital. She reacted to mus...
10.8K 347 10
แด›สœแด‡ สœแดœษดษขแด‡ส€ ษขแด€แดแด‡๊œฑ แดกษชสŸสŸ แด…แด‡๊œฑแด›ส€แดส แด‡แด แด‡ษด แด›สœแด‡ แด˜แดœส€แด‡๊œฑแด› แด๊œฐ สœแด‡แด€ส€แด›๊œฑ, แด€ษดแด… แด›สœแด€แด›'๊œฑ แด‡xแด€แด„แด›สŸส แดกสœแด€แด› สœแด€แด˜แด˜แด‡ษดแด‡แด… แด›แด แด˜แดแดส€ แด€สŸแด‡xษช๊œฑ ส€ษชส™ส™แดษด. [๊œฐษชษดษดษชแด„แด‹ แดแด…แด€ษชส€ x แดแด„] แด˜แดœส™สŸษช๊œฑสœแด‡แด…: 05.0...