Ink Lines

By ShenWeiLightning

It's been thirteen years since Lan Zhan was last in a room with Wei Wuxian, but its been five minutes since h... More

Chapter 1. Present Day
Chapter 2. One Year Ago - Caiyi City
Chapter 3. One Year Ago - Jiang Yanli
Chapter 4. One Year Ago - Found
Chapter 5. One Year Ago - August into September
Chapter 6. Reasons
Chapter 7. October Meetings - 9 Months Ago
Chapter 8. November Tea - 8 Months Ago
Chapter 9. January- Fierce Little Tiger
Chapter 10. Five Months Ago -February
Chapter 12. Five Months Ago - February P3
Chapter 13. Four Months Ago - March
Chapter 14. Three Months ago- Beginning of April
Chapter 15. Three Months Ago-April
Chapter16. Three Months Ago - April
Chapter 17. Three Months Ago - April
Chapter 18. Two Months Ago - Early May
Chapter 19. One Month Ago. June
Chapter 20. June - Brothers
Chapter 21. June: Force of Nature
Chapter 22. June: Nie Sect
Chapter 23. June: Feels Like A Dream
Chapter 24. Wen Qing
Chapter 25. June: Grey Eyes
Chapter 26. Your Edges Are A Mirror of Mine
Chapter 27. June. Let's Start A War
Chapter 28 Nie Sect Upending
Chapter 29. Lotus flowers
Chapter 30. Crashing Down - Meet Me There
Chapter 31 June: Foxfire
Chapter 32 Jiang Cheng
Chapter 33
Chapter 34 June: Murder
Chapter 35: Plan ahead

Chapter 11. Five Months Ago- February P2

168 18 7
By ShenWeiLightning

The genuine golden trim on the carved bench-like chairs set out in Sect Leader's hall in Lanling was as gaudy as Lan Xichen remembered from the last time he had come here. Set out in a way that apparently was for 'humbling before tradition', encouraging visitors to sit opposite each other as their ancestors would have done. But it managed to have a intensifying effect on all of the people in attendance.

Especially unwise considering how tense the situation was.

The white roses and golden peonies alone cost more than what Gusu spent on food, so clearly the 'extensive renovations to their ancestral home' had not included any form of restraint, taste or economy, he thought. The ceiling was glittering above, held aloft by pearl white pillars and banners in light blue with the golden peony symbol were draped everywhere. 

 A single glance to the side, told him that A-Zhan silently agreed with this assessment and shared his older brother's concealed irritation and more stringently hidden anxiety.

They had been summoned, or rather he had been summoned to Lanling for what was being called an 'an intimate emergency conference',  regarding the Jiang Sect. The wording was unpleasant and to Lan Xichen, a deeper insult than first appearance realized. One he doubted Jin Guangshan actually intended, which only made it harder to forgive.

Because there had been no emergency meeting when Gusu had burned, or when Nie Mingjue's father had so obviously been murdered, or when the far smaller Lin Sect had been nearly wiped out by typhoon flooding. Nor had there been one when the Jiang Sect had been attacked, its former Sect Leaders murdered in their own home.

But for some reason, Jin Guangshan had called one now, demanding that Nie Mingjue and he drop  everything to speak with him about a crisis. To add insult to the fire, he had also invited Wen Xu. Four of the Five Great Sects, to speak freely about these 'issues.'

The only thing the crisis could be about is Lotus Pier and it had a knot of anxiety tightening with every waiting moment in his chest. The fate of Jiang Yanli and her brothers could be decided here, based some evidence and enough conviction among the sects. The fate of his little tiger was the same. 

And at this point, neither he nor Mingjue believed the rumors, but there was enough weight behind them, that causally dismissing them was no longer an option.

So he had brought Lan Zhan with him in what appeared to be a respectful gesture, but in reality was combination of support, law enforcement and as someone else who had just as much to lose if the Jiang Sect was in trouble. Anything learned here would help Lan Zhan's investigations, the ones they never mentioned or prove that they really had been wrong about them once and for all.

It made Lan Xichen feel suffocated in the room, but he took comfort in A-Zhan's silent presence beside him. There was no guideline for this, no manual that could explain what he should do beyond the rules of his Sect and his Elders had little idea either, other than a no-war policy.

That and he hoped A-Zhan's presence gave him enough grounding to get through this without trying to kill Wen Xu himself. Who had threatened Lan Xichen days before the attack in public and he had never forgotten it.

Da-ge was sitting beside them on Lan Xichen's right. He refused to sit on the opposite side where Wen Xu was lounging, with an unnamed disciple, but considering the Lan and Nie had been in alliance together for three hundred years, it wasn't actually a snub.

Nie Mingjue had brought his younger cousin Nie Zonghui, who sat beside his Sect Leader with a stony expression, dressed entirely in Nie grey, the bronze beast pendant that hung from his belt, the only other color.  By contrast, Da-ge was dressed entirely in black except for the traditional Nie Sect Leader's gold brocading on his outer jacket.

His oldest friend looked as if he had not slept for a month with worry and six breaths away from stabbing Wen Xu.

Which would probably be Lan Xichen's state, if A-Zhan was on the other side of the country and potentially in mortal danger, while he had to sit here with hands half tied and pray he could save his brother from death or imprisonment, or at the very least, disgrace. 

Nie Huaisang meant everything to Nie Mingjue. He had raised him despite being only a handful of years older, making him a combination of big brother, father and mother to Huaisang.

Losing Huaisang would break Nie Mingjue, irrecoverably.

It would break him too, if he allowed himself to think of it. But he was his mother's son and a Lan. He would fight for Huaisang and guard A-Zhan and Mingjue to his last. This was his silent pledge.

Jin Guangshan on their right, sat on what could be considered a low throne made of gold, with Lady Jin a step down like an Empress. She looked stressed but was hiding it fairly well.

She would not step away from her husband, out of some loyalty to power if not him, but he could not imagine that this was easy. Lady Yu of Yunmeng had been her childhood friend and her only child was married to Jiang Yanli. If the rumors were true, Jin Zixuan had married into a criminal enterprise and was therefore possibly a suspect too.

Jin Guangshan was a menace to deal with on any day, using false exuberant friendliness first, then peppering his conversation with insinuations and false doubt the next. 

If there ever was some art to dealing with the man successfully, Lan Xichen knew he would never master it. One of the many reasons he and Mingjue were friends, was their shared love of plain speaking. By contrast, practically everything with Jin Guangshan said was contrived and like a pendulum his opinions swung from one side to another without care. He was a consummate actor, politician and predator, enjoying the blood sport of setting up one sect against another for entertainment at the discussion conferences or martial arguments when he suggested infidelity. 

"Would you kindly say why we are here Sect Leader Jin?" Wen Xu drawled from his chair, "Before we die of boredom."

"Ah," Jin Guangshan paused in his rant about the Yao Sect and cleared his throat. "We of the Jin Sect, have recently discovered further proof about the Jiang Sect's underhanded dealings."

 Considering he must be in with every judge in the country to have escaped so many assault charges and rape allegations, this was saying something, Lan Xichen thought uncharitably.

"The government has begun proceedings to check their company for signs of money laundering, but it is the Sect's criminal path that has to be addressed!" He added loudly.

"Whatever evidence you have, my brother has nothing to do with this." Nie Mingjue barked viciously. "Huaisang is innocent and the Nie Clan will defend him." In a duel, a war or in court, was the last part of that sentence, but it went unsaid. 

"But he's not your brother is he?" Wen Xu said in a falsely sad tone. "Your own father threw him out and rumors said it was because he was not in fact a Nie. So how can you protect him with your Clan?"

Lan Xichen stared at him in shock, hardly able to believe what the soulless mass murderer was implying against his little tiger. He glanced immediately at Mingjue, not sure if he should help him murder Wen Xu or stop him. But rather than descend into a violent rage, Nie Mingjue glared hostile and bitter at Wen Xu. He had expected this, Lan Xichen realized.

"Well, since we are here as Four of the Great Five Sects," Nie Mingjue said in a truly false affable tone that carried a hint of his saber, "I can dispel such foul nonsense."

"You have tested his DNA?" Jin Guangshan asked sounding mildly interested.

"I didn't need to." Nie Mingjue replied tartly.

"Brotherly love is enough then? To be sure of his parentage?" Wen Xu pressed sounding surprised, 'The Nie Clan is usually so strict on such things." 

Nie Zonghui looked as if he wanted to reach across the aisle and stab Wen Xu between the eyes, but he remained perfectly still beside Mingjue who to Lan Xichen's surprise, grinned.

"Well, as we have known each other for so long, I can speak of private matters." Nie Mingjue said baring his teeth. "The Nie Clan has another long tradition. When a Sect Leader dies, the new leader initiates a new Nie Seal talisman with their blood."

Neither the Jin nor the Wen seemed to understand the implications of this, so Mingjue bitingly continued. "You might remember that last spring I was injured in a night hunt with a Bone Ghost. Huaisang was concerned, so he visited for a week."

"Hoe filial of him." Jin Guangshan said sweetly, "Why my own late brother would not have visited me unless I was dying!" He laughed and Lady Jin smiled in false humor.

Nie Mingjue stared straight ahead at Wen Xu, "While he was there, I tricked my brother to end these pitiful rumors, that must have been started by an idiot, with perhaps basic education. They were probably not even a cultivator."

Lady Jin looked as if someone had tossed a glass of alcohol in her face and Jin Guangshan looked shocked, Lan Xichen noted. A-Zhan seemed to agree with the assessment however, judging by his brows.

"But to end them I carried on with my trick."

"Not very filial." Jin Guangshan remarked but at Nie Mingjue's challenging stare he amended it to, "But needs must of course."

"And what happened with the talisman?" Lan Xichen asked quietly, nodding to Nie Mingjue when he glanced at him.

"I tricked my brother by asking him to open the Nie Sect Hall doors for me, blaming my arm. Only I can do this normally and shut them at night. The first part of the talisman is set so that only a direct descendant of the Nie can do this but," Nie Mingjue held up his hand, "The second part needs my direct bloodline. My father, a child of mine or a sibling that shares my father's blood."

Nie Mingjue waited a beat and then said sharply, "Huaisang opened the door easily."

"And if the rumors had been true?" Wen Xu asked coldly.

"I would love my brother still and the doors would not have opened for him." Nie Mingjue said flatly. "And to check my trick of course I asked all of my cousins to open the door as a test before Huaisang arrived. None of them could do it. Huaisang is my father's son, same as I."

"Well then, the Nie Elders have been most prejudiced." Jin Guangshan offered in a saddened tone. 

"Nie Huaisang is my brother and the heir to my Sect. This is the final word." Nie Mingjue said coldly, "Now that is out of the way, tell us clearly. What is it that you have brought us here to discuss?" 

Jin Guangshan is too smooth to falter completely, but he does take a moment to regroup. And possibly get back into character Lan Xichent thinks. This thought is entirely the fault of his little tiger, who had pointed out how the Jin leader uses selected roles in all of his meetings, when Xichen had been talking about the latest conference.

He really does too. Lan Xichen had only realized it when Huaisang had suggested it, but he really does. Huaisang's labels were apt too. The good father, the suffering leader, the brave leader that must triumph...ten minutes into this exploration, Lan Xichen had laughed in a way he had never been free to before. Huaisang's smile had been blindingly bright. "Ah A-Xi," He had purred. Lan Xichen felt warm jsut thinking of it.

So Jin Guangshan chose his suffering leader act and led with, "Oh I wish I could have understood, realized all this, when Jiang Fengmian was alive! I feel so betrayed."

"And it is because of this betrayal," Jin Guangshan continues, "He was my friend and he abused me!" Lady Jin nods sympathetically to her husband. "That I have decided that when I truly thought about it, I realized that my son, my sweet boy Zixuan might be in danger."

"From the Jiang?" Nie Mingjue asked skeptically.

"And our grandson, Jin Ling." Lady Jin added worriedly. "After the attack on Lotus Pier, after my good friend Yu Ziyuan's murder...Jiang Yanli hasn't been the same."

Was he the same after Gusu? Was A-Zhan? Or their Uncle? Mother even? Was Nie Mingjue the same after having to try and stop his father from murdering their disciples when he qi deviated?

"As a father, I couldn't live with myself if I didn't try everything I could to help my son and heir." Jin Guangshan continued.

"And how do you intend to help him?" Wen Xu asked with interest.

"By securing evidence of their crimes!" Lady Jin said loudly. "Our son will not hear of this, refuses to believe that the Jiang are so wretched and it hurts to say this! Yu Ziyuan was my dearest friend!"

"My wife and I are at our wits end." Jin Guangshan said boldly, "We need answers."

"And you propose we... investigate further?" Lan Xichen tried.

"No Sect Leader Lan, what we intend is to find the information we need to ascertain the true nature of their crimes! And to do this, we must have the information in our hands to give to the proper authorities, who cannot act without it!" Jin Guangshan shouted.

"And how are we obtaining this information?" Nie Mingjue asked suspiciously.

"You will notice gentlemen, that I took the liberty of angering my ancestors and placing a TV screen on the wall here? You can all see it easily? Ah good. Neck strain is so painful." Jin Guangshan said with that affable smile. "I have sent Jin Sect disciples in disguise to infiltrate the Jiang Clan and search for information!"

There was a long pause, A-Zhan as tense as a bow string beside him as Lan Xichen tried to put his thoughts into actual words. 'You are intending to break into the Jiang Sect home?' He didn't try to mold his tone away from horror.

"Its not the first course of an action a Sect Leader like myself would go for Sect Leader Lan, but we need information! I need to know that my son is not in jeopardy!" Jin Guangshan said hotly.

"And any information that you gain Sect Leader Jin, would have been gained illegally. That's not admissible in a court of law."

"No." Jin Guangshan looked too pleased with himself. "But with so many Sect Leaders in attendance, just having the proof will be enough to vote for an action to force the Jiang Sect to agree to a Tribunal investigation!"

"Its for our son." Lady Jin implored.

"And you want us to watch you search the home of the Jiang family?" Nie Mingjue asked in disbelief. 

"Very much so Sect Leader Nie!" Jin Guangshan said and waved a hand for an attendant to appear. The young man switched on the television screen and typed something into the accompanying laptop.

As they watched in stunned silence on this half of the room at least, a live camera came onto the screen. The person wearing the camera seemed to be jogging up to a traditional two story building on the water front, near a boat dock. Six disciples in black followed the camera wearer up the bank, to the building.

It was dark and there was a fair amount of jostling, heavy breathing on the audio. Then the camera flashed grey and Lan Xichen looked at A-Zhan for technical help. His brother was glaring at the screen in fuming outrage and concern, waiting it seemed, so Lan Xichen folded his hands and settled into his chair.

"Well they are not doing a good job so far." Nie Mingjue said darkly.

"Wait a moment Sect Leader Nie," Lady Jin said calmly, "Our disciples are entering the office building where much of the Sect business is handled. Soon we will have answers."

When the camera finally stopped showing grey, they were able to see a balcony ornately carved with lotus flowers and watched as the camera wearer opened the sliding door.

"Why are there no alarms?" Lan Xichen asked concerned.

"Its early evening there in Yunmeng Sect Leader Lan," Lady Jin said in explanation, 'The Jiang do not rest early, so the alarms have not been set."

"The grey we just saw..." Nie Mingjue said thoughtfully, "that was your disciple using a ward cutter wasn't it?"

"Ward cutters are illegal." Lady Jin said smoothly, but A-Zhan turned his head sharply, eyes blazing.

On screen, the disciples were climbing into a large office. The room much like the building was clearly centuries old, purple curtains with the Lotus Pier clan symbol embroidered in the center swayed with the breeze. A simple golden desk stood on a black rug decorated with red lines, and behind it was an old fashioned carved chair.

Shelves that had seen the tests of time were piled with books and papers behind the desk, and a vase of Lotus flowers was positioned on the edge of the desk. It was an odd blend of tidy and chaos, making A-Zhan's hands clench.

Oh dear. He thought in further dismay. Was this Wei Wuxian's office? Did A-Zhan recognize something of his?  He didn't think his didi had ever been to Lotus Pier...but that didn't mean there were not pictures of it online.

Another turn of the camera wearer and they saw doorway leading to another room, through a carved archway. There was just in view, another desk off to the side, a newer black one, where a bank of computer screens sat on standby.

Lan Xichen would expected if asked, that Lotus Pier with their love of technology would have updated their rooms to a more modern look. But clearly, the owner if it was Wei Wuxian had great respect for the history of his sect, putting the computers in another room.

"And now we shall see what my disciples can find. I assure you they will find evidence." Jin Guangshan said smugly as the Jin disciples began rifling through the papers and one of them sat down at the computers.

"This is an act of war." Lan Xichen tried one more time, anger over this invasion that reminded sharply of Gusu.

"This is a way for us to ascertain their business. If it is criminal or not." Wen Xu said calmly.

Any words Nie Mingjue would have snapped back in defense of his brother, were lost as the camera wearer ordered silence on screen.

They stared numbly as the door the Jin had turned to look at,  was beginning to open and Nie Huaisang himself stepped inside stuffing a tablet and papers into a shoulder bag, body half turned to face the hallway outside. "I'm just getting the other file! I need the second set to kick start them. I'll be there in a minute!" He called to someone unseen, before turning fully to face the room. His dark eyes widened in shock as he took in the scene, jerking to a stop.

For a single second Nie Huaisang and the Jin simply stared at one another and it was tough to say who looked more shocked.

Lan Xichen had found his feet nearly in time with Nie Mingjue.

His little tiger was standing in the doorway, dark eyes wide. He was wearing his Nie beast pendant over a silver and black t-shirt over jeans, and had a stylus behind his ear.   There was a blue jacket half off his arms, and a Jiang purple scarf badly tied around his neck. The coat was in fact the one that Lan Xichen had loaned him that was too big, with great hope he would either give it back so Lan Xichen could keep it forever and never give it back, so he could have something of Lan Xichen's.

He dropped the bag with a thud, "What the..."

"Nie gongzi." Nie Zonghui said in horror as he looked at his cousin. "Nie gongzi leave." He urged quietly perhaps unaware he was speaking at all.

The door automatically shut behind Nie Huaisang, whose brows were lowering in an affronted look that truly resembled Nie Mingjue. "What are you doing here!"  Nie Huaisang demanded loudly. "This is private property....wait...is that? Are you...?" 

Huaisang's eyes narrowed. Naturally it was at this point where things devolved.

"Oh no," Lan Xichen said with a hand near his mouth. He turned on his heel to face Jin Guangshan who was staring dumbfounded at the screen. "What excuse are you giving for this?" He asked coldly.

Jin Guangshan spluttered and Lady Jin glared, "He was not supposed to be there." She said shrilly.

"Its an office." Nie Mingjue barked, "Maybe even his office! Did you people check?"

"Its Lotus Pier. Why would he have an office there?" She replied coldly.

"Because my brother," Nie Mingjue snarled but turned immediately at Lan Xichen's in-drawn breath.

One of the five Jin launched towards Nie Huaisang who darted out of reach, nimbly. "What the hell are you doing!" He screeched and another Jin went for his right. "You're Jin!" The one wearing the camera turned slightly so they didn't see exactly what happened, but there was a loud crash and one of the Jin shouted, "Hold him down!"

"What are you doing to my brother?!" Nie Mingjue snarled, on his feet.

"You cannot hurt him!" Nie Zonghui said hotly.

The Jin wearing the camera joined the fray and the next they saw with the camera jolting badly was the back of Nie Huaisang's head as the camera wearer hurled the smaller man airborne, arms locked around his shoulders. Nie Huaisang's feet were free and he wasted no time kicking the oncoming disciple.

He weaseled out of the too-big coat and nearly got himself strangled with the scarf but got free and somehow threw cultivation energy towards a talisman that lit up on the table, blinding them all. There was a cry and Nie Huaisang's voice snarling, "Get back!"

"Stop this!" Lan Xichen cried. "You are hurting him. Call off your disciples!" He demanded of Jin Guangshan, who just blanched.

"This wasn't supposed to happen!" He deflected loudly, while Lady Jin tried to offer platitudes of her own.

When the camera came back, Nie Huaisang was holding his fist in line with his own cheek and in his other hand a long knife, pointed in the direction of the camera. His eyes were sparking with Nie temper and his lip was badly bleeding. "Just what do you think you're doing?" Huaisang asked curtly. "Stand down now. You won't get out of here."

The camera wearer just gestured, "Take him down!"

Nie Huaisang ducked as a Jin disciple came for his right again. With a solid punch defying his smaller stature, Nie Huaisang hit one disciple breaking his nose in a spray of blood and threw into the fray a compact ball of blue cultivation energy.

The Jin disciple ducked and sneered, "Bad shot."

Nie Huaisang sneered right back, upper lip curling and said "My shot idiot."

"Huaisang," Nie Mingjue breathed, "What are you,"

For the ball out of line of the camera triggered a wider talisman on the wall. Alarms blared deafeningly loud and various bright colors surged into life outside the window, forming shapes.

"Kill me if you want." Niue Huaisang said coldly still holding the knife, sending icy chills of horror down Lan Xichen's spine and had an expression of betrayal forming on Nie Mingjue's face. "But you won't get out of here! Wei Wuxian knows you're here."

"But he won't get here in time." The camera wearer spat.

"What!" Nie Mingjue yelled, "Call your dogs off now Jin Guangshan!"

Lan Zhan was on his feet beside his distressed brother and Nie Zonghui was angrily shouting in tandem with his Sect Leader when another bang startled them into temporary silence.

"Huaisang! Huaisang!" Someone shouted throwing their weight against the door. "Huaisang? What's happening? Huaisang!"

"That's..." Lan Xichen began just as the door caved when a sword was put through it burning orange with cultivation energy, then a talisman and finally a bone shattering kick. Through the wreckage,  Meng Yao skidded inside the door in grey hiking boots, his dark eyes frantic, mouth setting in angry line, "Huaisang!" He cried.

Then his gaze swept the room, seeing the Jin disciples gathered around a wounded Huaisang who was still holding a knife against the camera wearer.

"Meng Yao!" Huaisang shouted, then they heard him cry out in pain, that had Meng's Yao's face darkening further. ""Wáng bā" He swore. "They're Jin! San-ge!"

"Let him go..!" Then hearing Huaisang, Meng Yao spat like the word itself was something foul. "Jin."

"He's..."Nie Mingjue tried, because they both knew why Meng Yao had such look on his face.

"What has he got against my Sect?" Jin Guangshan demanded.

With his grey coat and white shirt, lithe figure and doe eyes, Meng Yao did not look like much of a threat. Something that most of the room watching, were thinking in one form or another.

What they didn't take into account, was Meng Yao's hatred for the Jin.

The Jin, whose Sect Leader had raped his own mother and possibly countless others, all disposed of by his loyal disciples. Victims that seemed endless, all used and discarded.  Some on the street with no memory, some in an alleyway left to die like his mother, or in a grave never to be found. The Jin whose disciples ten years ago nearly killed Meng Yao, after he refused to let them hurt another drugged, defenseless woman outside a bar. Who tried to murder his mother again when she spoke out bravely.

Some scores cannot be settled. Some grudges are bone deep.

And now there were Jin disciples beating up or trying to kill Nie Huaisang.

"San-ge!" Huaisang shouted sounding very distressed now, "Save yourself! Get Sect Leader Jiang!"

Ignoring Huaisang's cry completely, Meng Yao, in a tone that was as dry as stone and as sharp as the blade he carried, hissed "I said, leave him alone  filth. Get away from my shidi!"

He also didn't wait for a reaction to hurl his sword at the first disciple nearly cleaving him in two and then break the arm of the second nearest him. Swinging out from underneath the taller man, Meng Yao pulled out a knife, twin to the one Huaisang was wielding,  to stab it brutally in the man's shoulder, with a somewhat crazed expression. Right in front of the camera.

"He said he was visiting his mother, not Nie gongzi!" Nie Zonghui said in the shocked quiet.

"He must have learned that from the Meishan Yu." Nie Mingjue said in a numb tone, as blood arched in front of the screen, like something from a horror film. "I certainly didn't teach him that."

"Lady Yu Ziyuan of Yunmeng was fond of him and his mother." Lan Xichen said blandly and loudly to A-Zhan's surprise. "His mother is one of the Meishan Yu disciples. They went to the funeral..."

"The Violet Spider taught him?" Jin Guangshan asked in horror and Lady Jin who  was so proud of her friendship with the Lady of Lotus Pier, frowned darkly. 

"Oh yes," Lan Xichen agreed, feeling slightly calmer now he knew Meng Yao was there. "Meng Yao is a Meishan Yu disciple, taking further training with the Nie Clan."

Chaos had descended in the small room on screen.

One of the Jin hurled Meng Yao backwards into the wall, who ducked low to stab the Jin disciple in the leg. Huaisang was in an arm lock one minute, then throwing talismans the next. A desk chair was lobbed at Huaisang's head, who threw himself sideways shrieking, "Not the desk! Not the desk! I just got that!" 

Then worst of all the camera wearer was then struggling with Huaisang on the floor, on top of him. Dark eyes were murderous glaring up at them and Nie Mingjue looked sick.

 Despite his opponent having the upper hand, Huaisang was fighting golden chains of power on top of having a heavier opponent strangling him, with the Nie fierceness. It was clear to see the hands wrapped around Huaisang's throat, and hear the meaty thud as Huaisang tried to hit the camera wearer in the side, only to be punched hard in the midsection.

"Huaisang!" Meng Yao shouted.

"Get him off my brother!" Yelled Nie Mingjue who was so angry he was turning purple and seconds away from attacking Jin Guangshan or from having a qi deviation.

Lan Xichen was frozen closer to the screen, his eyes horrified, his tone vicious. His little tiger's eyes were going red and his lips were turning blue. "Stop this! End this now! He's killing him!"

He wished he could reach into the screen and snap the Jin disciple's neck or at least pull him off Huaisang. He wanted to take out Shuoyue and fly to Lotus Pier right now if he thought it would make a difference, but he was too far away!

More Jin disciples poured into the conference room to defend against the Sect Leaders growing more distressed and even Wen Xu offered breezily to Jin Guangshan, "Nie Huiasang is clearly dying. He's going blue. You should do something."

Nie Mingjue rounded on him, eyes flashing with the rage, but his words or attack were halted by a even louder bang and wall of red energy that swept into the room on screen with the rage of a winter storm. Everyone was thrown to the ground, including the camera wearer.

As the Jin camera wearer looked to the door, the figure barreling inside through the remains of the door, was clear to see.

Wei Wuxian, looking as angry as Lan Xichen had ever seen him, plowed into the first disciple closest to the door and sent him flying into the wall with a single kick. Suibian was unsheathed, those silver eyes as hard as the metal they resembled.

"Nie-xiong?" He called worriedly, silver eyes flicking around the room, before a dark brow rose in surprise.

He wore his Sect uniform jacket, over black and red, the lotus charm dangling from his waist, the belt of the Head Disciple proudly worn over a black sweater. It was clearly raining in Yunmeng, water dripping from Wei Wuxian's hair and water marks were splashed over his jacket.

"Wei Ying!" Lan Zhan gasped from slightly behind Lan Xichen, worry and anger in his golden eyes, plain as day to his older brother.

Hand still outstretched, the Head Disciple of Yunmeng Jiang stared in a similar look of shock at the Jin. Probably expecting Wen Sect disciples, Lan Xichen thought relief that Huaisang was finally safe, warring with the violent rage still boiling in his veins.

How dare they! How dare they touch Huaisang, hurt him and frighten him so badly! He had done nothing to warrant this! 

"Wait..." Wei Wuxian blinked and then said it slowly, dragging the name out in a tone bordering on disbelief, but with far too much anger locked into the syllables. "Jin Zixun...? Shén me niǎo..."

"Wei-xiong! Lotus Pier!" Huaisang said coughing on the floor.

Wei Wuxian looked down at him in concern and started to say, "Its okay Nie-xiong, you hit the alarm so..." and in that breath, the camera wearer produced a gun and pointed it at Wei Wuxian, who blinked at the weapon and then glared sourly. "Really?" He asked unimpressed.

"Wei Ying!" Lan Zhan cried in horror, unable to do anything but watch. Lan Xichen grabbed his wrist in solidarity or comfort, or even in restraint, he wasn't truly sure himself.

A grey boot swung upwards hitting, who they now knew was Jin Zixun, in the ribs and Meng Yao followed through with his kick, smashing his fist into Jin Zixun's face. The gun went off and a bullet went into the ceiling, making most of the conference room jolt. Jin Zixun crumpled but the camera was still active, letting them see Meng Yao's bloodied but triumphant face.

"He could have shot my brother!" Nie Mingjue bellowed.

"Your nephew nearly shot the Jiang Head Disciple and Sect Leader Jiang Cheng's brother." Lan Xichen added tartly, partly for Lan Zhan.

Wei Wuxian, never a fan of Jin Zixun on the best day, nodded impressed but was otherwise unmoved, "Nice footwork Yao-ge. Thanks." Then he focused on the rest of the Jin, throwing a talisman into the air that burned an angry orange red.

"Move and die." He said calmly, almost coldly to the Jin disciples, his sword pointed at one t least. "Anyone want to tell me what the hell the Jin are doing in my office!"

"They were trying to kill Huaisang!" Meng Yao said loudly. "I heard him cry out and when I arrived here, Huaisang was defending himself." 

"What? Why would they want to kill Huaisang?" Wei Wuxian asked baffled, "Nie-xiong's never done anything to them."

"Jin Zixun threatened Huaisang when they were last in Gusu." Meng Yao answered quickly, "It will be okay, lie still Huaisang!"

"Why?" Wei Wuxian asked throwing another talisman out the door that burst into flames. 'Just breathe slowly Nie-xiong! Medics are coming. Don't pass out!"

"He was harassing this woman, like the piece of filth he is." Meng Yao said coldly in reply, "Huaisang argued with him and when he reported it to Lan Qiren, he threatened to kill Huaisang then!"

"Damn. He should have told me. I would have beaten him up!" Wei Wuxian said as Jiang disciples in full purple hurried into the room, many of them armed with large caliber firearms and swords that were immediately pointed at the Jin. "Da-shixiong!" They chorused, "Fù​sī​lìng!" 

Six of them immediately went for the Jin disciples rapidly throwing binding talismans to secure them. Three went for Nie Huaisang, reaching to help him up, one clearly marked as a medic.

"Nie Huaisang? Can you hear me?" The medic could be heard asking. "Where does it hurt?"

"I'm okay." Nie Huaisang said in a strained voice that hurt Lan Xichen's heart to hear. "Wei-xiong, is everyone safe?'

"He's not." Meng Yao said in an anxious tone off-screen. "He hit his head and they really hurt his shoulder."

"Everyone is safe. We've locked down Lotus Pier as soon as the alarm sounded Nie-xiong." Wei Wuxian reassured. "If there is anyone on the premises they will be found." He added in a vicious tone with a smile that was not pleasant.

"That's good." Nie Huaisang said from the floor. "San-ge? are you okay? You're bleeding."

"I'm fine Huaisang." Meng Yao said gently. "Please don't move yet. That arm might be broken."

"Its not." Someone else said crisply, the medic presumably, but the tightness around Nie Mingjue's eyes hadn't receded. "Your shoulder is however, dislocated."

"That must hurt." Wen Xu said with false sympathy.

"Damn Nie-xiong, that is going to hurt. Let Zhang Ziyu tend to you Nie-xiong, he's our best healer, if we discount Qing-jie. " Wei Wuxian shouted, a ball of seething red power in one hand. "Li Zan!"

"No one should discount Lady Ke." The man presumably Zhang Ziyu said in the same crisp tone. "Her skills are remarkable."

The Jiang Clan, Lan Xichen thought, never made it mandatory for disciples to change their last name to Jiang, preserving a strong sense of individualism and family that was different to the Nie or Lan Sects.

A tall woman with bubblegum pink hair appeared through the throng of disciples, holding a rifle. Her eyes were hard as she surveyed the scene. "Yes Da-shixiong?" She said respectfully addressing Wei Wuxian.

"Call Jiang Cheng. Let him know that we have the situation under control." Wei Wuxian said coldly, never taking his eyes from the Jin, "The evacuation process can be aborted. Give the order to the snipers and the rapid response divers. I want four sweeps of Lotus Pier, full armor, no mistakes and if they return fire, no survivors either. This is our Sect land. We defend it. Contact Yunmeng SCD and tell them we don't need SWAT, but we do need their officers. Activate the sweep teams."

"Yes sir." Li Zan said quickly and then reported briskly, "All buildings have been checked and the defenses are fully armed Chief. The boat they used has been located and the boatman has been arrested under the Sect land trespassing code."

"Good." Wei Wuxian said with a nod, and then added. "Aerial sweeps, infra red camera. Activate the sound talismans in the water, just in case."

"Snipers?" Lan Xichen said faintly.  "Response divers? No survivors?"

Nie Mingjue had also paused listening with Wen Xu and Jin Guangshan both shifting uncomfortably. Particularly when Wei Wuxian added, "The law, if we killed you tonight would have been on our side."

" Lu Xun!"

A disciple around Wei Wuxian's age appeared, dressed smartly in his full Jiang uniform, "Sir!"

"Get hold of Peacock." Wei Wuxian said coldly. "He's our only Jin representative. Let's find out what he has to say for this."

"My son has nothing to do with this!" Jin Guangshan shouted.

"Well he does now." Nie Mingjue snapped.

"Chou Fan?" Wei Wuxian called next as Lu Xun vanished through the door.

An older disciple hurried through the crowd, not wearing his uniform jacket but he did have the Lotus Pier Sect symbol emblazoned on his sweater. "Da-shixiong?"

"Call the medical wing have them stand by. Then call Shijie and tell her that all is safe. I'll release the wards when I'm satisfied." Wei Ying ordered in a clipped cold voice.

"You have no right to hold us like this!" One of the Jin protested.

Wei Wuxian's eyes narrowed, his mouth tightening. "You broke into my office, attacked our honor disciple and trashed the place, after breaking through the wards of Lotus Pier using a ward-cutter. Which in case you are dumber than you look, is illegal."

Wei Wuxian then took one step forward, menace in every line of his face. "I am well within my rights. The Yunmeng Jiang are well within the rights of the law and the traditions of our sect. Let's go. " He said eyes flashing, "Its time you grew a spine and faced our Sect Leader."

"You will face charges from the Nie Sect as well." Meng Yao snapped loudly. "Nie Huaisang is the Second Master of the Nie!"

"He's nothing." One of the Jin spat.

"How dare you!" Meng Yao snapped again, tone coldly vicious.

Wei Wuxian stalked forward, eyes bright with anger. "Nie Huaisang is our honor disciple! What the Nie Sect does is their choice, according to their rules, but we, the Jiang will charge you for assault."

"He's a Jiang now?" The same Jin sneered. "Did one of you marry him?"

"Well I didn't marry you thank the Heavens." Nie Huaisang said hoarsely from what sounded like the floor. "Your'e too ugly for a start!'

There was a thud and Meng Yao looked furious as he moved beside Wei Wuxian.

Wei Wuxian's eyes only sharpened, "He saved our children nearly with his own life. He's family and unlike the Jin, we honor our pledges. We fight for our people. Nie Huaisang fought for us, so we will fight for him."

Jin Guangshan sneered at this and went red with rage. "He insults us!"

"Get them down to the Contemplation Hall." Wei Wuxian ordered, "Jiang Cheng will see them there."

Then dismissing both the Jin and the guards hauling them forward, Wei Wuxian went to Nie Huaisang, his tone softening, "Can he stand? Nie-xiong?"

"I will call my Sect Leader." Meng Yao said boldly, relieving Nie Mingjue immensely.

"I'm afraid not yet. Communications are down and will be for another fifteen minutes as we do a sweep." They heard Wei Wuxian say apologetically. "After that, our Sect Leader will immediately contact Sect Leader Nie and update him on what has happened."

"I want to speak to Da-ge." Nie Huaisang said in a pained voice, "Ow." 

"Stop moving." Meng Yao admonished, "Please be gentle. He's in pain."

"In a little while Nie-xiong." Wei Wuxian said gently, "Its our talisman array remember? Cuts out the signal."

Nie Mingjue fretted but calmed a little hearing this. Lan Xichen was far from actual calm and Lan Zhan was staring at Wei Wuxian on screen, with worry and love in his golden eyes. Taking a breath, knowing that his little tiger was safe, Lan Xichen turned around to face Jin Guangshan. The man who had nearly gotten Huaisang killed through his immense arrogance. Who sent his nephew to break into the Jiang home.

"Sect Leader Jin,"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes

So...One of the things I admire about Mo Dao Zu Shi is that no one is a clear cut, easy to hate villain. Each person is a survivor of abuse in some form, probably has PTSD from the Sunshot Campaign and made choices that they then had to live with.

And Jin Guangyao is the easy villain and this story is more Wen focused, so making him evil just 'because' seemed cheap.

Plus being thrown down the stairs as a child (which was likely one of many traumas he suffered, possibly including childhood sexual assault himself), then again as a young man probably made him a sociopath or at least his unpleasant life did...serial killers can be made after all with enough abuse... true crimes teaches that horrible lesson.

So what to do with him?

In imagining a future for Jin Guangyao, I thought of various paths and choices. For example, in the time frame of the novel, women hardly had many choices of profession and no one wants to be a prostitute. Its a profession that involves slavery, violence and selling yourself! Its what you do when you have no alternatives or never had a choice at all, if you are a trafficked woman or child and tragically there are millions of such cases... :(

So...what if Meng Shi had other choices? That cleverness in Meng Yao certainly didn't come from Jin Guangshan entirely. The silver tongue did probably, but not the survivor smarts or astuteness.

So what if Meng Shi was a cultivator herself? And rather than raise her son to adore his awful rapist father, what if she did the exact opposite? Tried like so many of us today, to fight for justice like the Me Too campaign?

What if Meng Shi raise him away from the Jin, against the Jin? It would in theory mean that without the financial troubles and stigma, Meng Yao could have been trained as a young child like Jiang Cheng was...and if Meng Shi left the Lanling area, that meant she could have become a disciple of anywhere. But not the Yao Sect...I know that's prejudiced...but its Sect Leader Yao...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

224K 12.5K 59
"I hate you." Lan Zhan said emotionless. Just hearing it, Wei Ying's world came crashing down. But still, he tried to keep his composure...
247K 9.6K 45
Wei Ying was banished and discarded from the whole Cultivating world. Lan Zhan Turned his back on him, the juniors can't help him they are still youn...
36.9K 2.1K 12
When Wei Ying removed his hand from Lan Zhan hand, he look up at Lan Zhan, he can see the hurt, the sadness and how devastated Lan Zhan is when he se...
143K 4.8K 11
a modaozushi fanfic about lan zhan and wei ying's life after they become cultivational partners. there seems to be more that happened after weiying's...