𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒...

By dyiansobrien

[ completed] In their four years of knowing each other, Draco Malfoy and Amora Buckley have never managed to... More

𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒
o. prologue
1. quidditch world cup
2. the goblet of fire
3. sworn enemies
4. unforgivable curses
5. potter's crush
6. champions
7. locked in
8. overnight with malfoy
9. draco the ferret
10. the slytherin jumper
11. dance partners
12. potter vs malfoy
13. harry's harsh words
14. snowball fight
15. the yule ball
16. the astronomy tower
17. mistletoe
18. say it out loud
19. ignorance is bliss
20. jealousy
21. the second task
22. apologies
23. surviving the snakes
24. back to square one
25. pansy parkinson
26. draco's nightmare
27. cold as ice
28. visitors
29. the suspect list
30. honorary slytherin
31. weak
32. romeo and juliet of hogwarts
33. comfort
34. draco's birthday
35. leon holloway
36. veritaserum
37. the slytherin dorm
38. the third task
39. the leaving feast
40. mi amor
41. prefects
42. professor umbridge
43. i must not talk back
44. mine
45. annoying
46. captain leon
47. hufflepuff's outcast
48. dumbledore's army
49. the three broomsticks
50. protean charm
51. weasley is our king
52. the aftermath
53. best friend
54. stolen kisses
55. the golden badger
56. paint it chrome
57. conspiring
58. overnight with malfoy II
59. blame
60. polaroids and wands
61. the betrayal
62. in the open
63. love triangles
64. expecto patronum
65. whomping willow
66. sneak
67. daisy chains
68. draco's sixteenth
69. out with a bang
70. amora's sixteenth
71. muggle london
72. hogwarts express
73. amortentia
74. death eater
75. outsider
76. dreams and concerns
77. discoveries
78. the 'truth'
79. amora's choice
80. the dark mark
81. narcissa malfoy
82. the lost prefect badge
83. slughorn's party
84. dumbledore's office
85. the unbreakable vow
86. purebloods against purebloods
87. french promises
88. the fifth common room
89. professor buckley
90. sectumsempra
92. battle of the astronomy tower
93. the start of the end
94. buckley blood
95. the wedding
96. the first last day
97. now recruiting
98. i defy you stars
99. amora's revenge
100. captured
101. the verdict
102. nagini
103. occlumency lesson one
104. the truth exposed
105. draco's tree
106. theo brings news
107. o'children
108. lucius malfoy
109. narcissa's plan
110. losing sanity
111. the potter interrogation
112. shell cottage
113. love and war
114. expelliarmus
115. the reunion
116. the battle of hogwarts
117. the battle of hogwarts II
118. the end
epilogue

91. dumbledore's help

27.3K 734 2.7K
By dyiansobrien

TRAINING WHEELS
dumbledore's help

13th May 1997

Dear Amora,

When you asked me if you had any cameras lying about with your stuff, I didn't think you meant Muggle cameras! How exciting! Seeing as you are stuck at school for a while now, I took the liberty of getting them printed. It was a bizarre experience - as you know Muggle technology always makes me happy - but I have never seen anything quite like this. I will have to research more into 'disposable cameras.'

Thank you for introducing me to this new Muggle device and also giving me a reason to leave this safe house! Don't worry about safety precautions - I had a disguise and Tonks came with me! You would like her, Amora. She's a Hufflepuff too.

The pictures came in envelopes that I attached. Don't worry - I didn't peek!! I hope you're having an amazing time at school, sweetheart. I can't wait to see you when summer comes.

From,
Mum x

Amora placed the letter on her bedside table and grabbed the two envelopes that her mother had the family owl take over. They were quite thick, clearly containing the photographs, and she bounded from her bed immediately to shrug on an old plaid shirt of hers that was far too big. She was due at the hospital wing to meet Draco soon anyways, but she was sure he would like this surprise as well.

"Hi Madam Pomfrey!" She beamed at the woman that she was becoming very familiar with, practically skidding past until she got to the bed with the curtain drawn.

Amora shut it behind her and turned, her eyes widening and her body pausing when she realised that Draco was shirtless on his bed. He sat up, a book in his hands, but he placed it down on the blankets covering his legs when she entered. The corner of his lips tugged upwards upon noticing her expression.

"I know it's been a while because I've been hurt, Amora, but Madam Pomfrey still says no extraneous activity until -"

"Oh, shut it, you smug bastard," Amora chided, moving to sit at the end of his bed and crossing her legs.

Her eyes casually drifted over him again. There was scarring over his body. Pink marks against his porcelain skin, some that looked harsher than others. Madam Pomfrey said some might still fade yet. Amora still thought he looked beautiful with his scars. He hid the one on his forearm though - the one that was black and bolder.

"Have you brought me more missing classwork?" Draco sighed, looking at the envelopes in her hands that she was trying to pull apart - they'd been taped firmly shut.

He had no intention of doing any homework or classwork that Amora gave him. Sometimes he'd fill it out due to pure boredom or because Madam Pomfrey would threaten him if he didn't, but he really saw no point. He wanted to be up and out of the bed, in the Room of Requirement and finishing his task to assure his parents' safety. He was fairly certain it was pretty much complete.

"No, not homework," Amora said, finally getting one open. "My mother sent printed copies of all of those pictures that we took in London. Remember I said I'd ask her?"

"Oh, yeah." Draco sat up. "Let's see, then."

"This is from my camera," Amora said excitedly, putting the photographs between them once she had looked at them so Draco could see them. "Oh, look - it's the London Eye."

Draco smiled a little. He was in some of them, whether it was an accident or because she had made him the centre of the picture. He thought he looked pretty odd standing in the middle of Muggle London, but at the same time so comfortable next to Amora. It felt weird that the pictures weren't moving, though. He preferred the wizarding version.

"Oh, I had my thumb over the camera here," Amora giggled, shaking her head. "Look at this one - it's that big building that the Muggles' government is inside."

"Parliament," Draco recalled, "Why did you take a picture of it?"

Amora shrugged. "I took pictures of everything."

"Clearly," Draco chuckled, putting one down that was some stranger's dog sitting on the side of a pavement whilst they waited for the traffic lights to go green.

"Let's open yours," Amora hummed once she was done. "You didn't take that many."

There were only ten or so and Amora's eyebrows raised when she realised that they all had Amora inside of them. She blushed, shaking her head at him as Draco smiled fondly, lifting one up of Amora taking a photo on top of Primrose Hill.

"You are so in love with me," Amora teased him.

"Sue me," Draco murmured.

She leaned forward, his hand cupping her cheek as she kneeled on his bed so that their lips could meet in the middle. Their mouths worked against each other for a few moments before Amora pulled away, smiling whilst she rested her forehead on his.

"I've been thinking about France," Amora said, "You'll need to teach me some French before we go."

"I will have to, won't I?" Draco smiled slightly. "Or I can be your translator, mon amour."

The smile on Amora's face brightened into a grin. "I know what that means," she said.

"Oui?" Draco replied gently, his silver eyes like sparkly storms as they gazed into Amora's, a fond smile of his own gracing upon his lips as his hand played with hers on his lap.

"I amour you."

Draco laughed, the sound causing Amora's chest to swell. It was wholehearted and pure - she hadn't heard this type of laugh from Draco in what felt like weeks. It made her giggle along with him, her brain adoring the way his nose crinkled slightly.

"Je t'aime plus," Draco murmured once he had calmed down a little.

"I'm guessing that means 'you're so hot and sexy when you speak French to me, Amora'?" She teased, her hand smoothing up the unscarred part of his chest, brushing his collarbones absentmindedly.

"Something like that."

D.M + A.B

5 June 1997

Draco's release date from the hospital wing fell on his birthday. It had been a good few days now since he had begun to feel as good as new, his body growing restless and his mind going insane cooped up in the bed, so this was practically the best birthday present ever. Madam Pomfrey wished him a happy birthday as soon as he woke up, and then promptly started to give him lectures on how to keep his health well and a list of potions and ointments he'd need to use for a while.

He grabbed a box he had been keeping his belongings in, packing everything away. It was still very early in the morning, not even seven yet, so he planned on creeping into his dormitory and getting some sleep in his own bed for maybe an hour or so. Madam Pomfrey said he didn't need to attend lessons until tomorrow, but Draco thought he might make an appearance for his afternoon classes.

The blond placed the photographs of Amora in London inside with the books Theo had leant him and all of the school work that was only half-complete. He flung a couple of jumpers on top, and then his wand. He felt like he was moving out or something. He'd grown so used to the hospital walls - or rather the curtains, seeing as he valued his privacy a lot.

"Ah, Draco. I believe I must wish you a happy birthday."

Draco jumped, flinching at the voice that he had been plaguing his nightmares since September started. He turned around, finding Dumbledore at the end of his bed. This was the first time that the headmaster had come to see him since Harry had hurt him. Draco had a bad feeling considering the fact that it was on his release date.

"Ur, thank you, Headmaster," Draco replied somewhat unsurely, his brain already pulling up its Occlumency walls higher than they normally were.

"Seventeen is a rather exciting age to be," Dumbledore mentioned, peering at Draco through his half-moon glasses. "Any... plans, Draco?"

Draco felt his blood run cold. He knew Dumbledore wasn't stupid. The way he was looking at him, how his voice sounded when he asked, the wording... Draco swallowed thickly and shrugged his shoulders.

"Just... focusing on school, sir," Draco answered, and that couldn't have been further from the truth.

Dumbledore gave a small nod and everything was silent for a moment before he said, "I see no reason to keep this so suspenseful. I would like you to know, Draco, that I know."

It was immediate terror. There had been several occasions where Draco had decided he didn't care if he got caught because then at least he wouldn't have to go through with his tasks, but now that it was happening... It felt like the end of the world. Draco stared at Dumbledore in horror, his lips parting to stammer out some sort of confused lie, but it was as if his voice had been ripped from him.

"I am not here to send you to Azkaban, Draco," Dumbledore said calmly, "Nothing like that. I am here to offer you help."

Draco swallowed again. It felt like his throat was closing in on itself.

"Help?" He repeated, "I have no idea what you're talking -"

"I can protect you and your family, Draco, from Lord Voldemort," Dumbledore explained, not missing the way that the blond boy flinched at the name. "I am aware of your task and all of the attempts that you have made to assassinate me."

Draco dropped his head into his hands, trying not to tug at his own hair or curse.

"And I do not blame you for taking the Dark Mark, considering everything you had to lose," Dumbledore continued, his tone too light for Draco's liking. "You are just a boy, after all. In fact, you remind me a lot of somebody else I once knew."

Draco couldn't say anything. Was Dumbledore really sympathising with him right now? He was sure this was some sort of trick. How long had Dumbledore known that he had a Death Eater among his students? Why the hell was he offering Draco help after he had tried to kill him not once, but twice? And nearly killed two other students in the process of it all?

"Regulus Black," Dumbledore said, "A cousin of your mother's, I'm sure you know. He too was a Death Eater at the mere age of sixteen, following his family's footsteps in fear of stepping out of line. Do you know what happened to young Regulus, Draco?"

"He died," Draco muttered.

"He did indeed," Dumbledore nodded. "He defected to Voldemort once he realised just how gruesome his methods of rising to power truly were. Had he gotten the right help sooner, his death could have very well been preventable. He would still be alive today, perhaps with a spouse, children..."

Draco gritted his teeth. "Why are you telling me this stuff?" He couldn't stop the shakiness of his voice, much to his dismay.

"I wish to help you, Draco, before history repeats itself," Dumbledore said, "If you say yes, I can offer you protection. It will protect all of your friends from becoming Death Eaters, too. I know they have been helping you."

Draco felt his jaw trembling as he glanced away, and he clenched it firmly.

"I see you are reluctant to accept my help," Dumbledore continued, "I thought you would be. I understand you must be thinking about your family and how they are interconnected with Lord Voldemort, how switching sides would most likely put them in danger -"

"I've seen it myself," Draco cut him off, "What Crucio does to somebody. He wouldn't stop - I - If he found out I had defected, he would do a lot worse to my family."

"You are a skilled Occlumens, aren't you, Draco?" Dumbledore asked, "Very impressive for a boy of your age. So talented, in fact, that I believe it would be no problem hiding your thoughts from Lord Voldemort himself, or your parents."

Draco's face scrunched up. "What are you even suggesting?" He couldn't help the anger in his voice - he was so confused and terrified.

"Draco, what I am asking of you is that you become a Double Agent," Dumbledore said, "Nobody would know of your alliance to the Order, nobody but us. I know you bear the Dark Mark. It is very possible that, once you have completed your task -"

"You still -" Draco belted, feeling sick. "You still want me to complete my task?"

"Of course. You will need to gain Lord Voldemort's complete trust, Draco. However, I ask that when the day comes where you have to carry it out, that I am made aware. Then, as I was saying before, it is possible that when your task is over, you will be included in numerous meetings with Lord Voldemort. Involved in plans. I would like you to report back to the Order," Dumbledore said.

Draco was still for a few moments. Frozen. "You want me to spy on the darkest wizard of all time?" Draco muttered.

Part of him was still trying to comprehend the fact that Dumbledore knew he was a Death Eater. The whole situation was all kinds of messed up. He felt like his brain was malfunctioning, or like this was some sort of weird dream.

"I think it is something you are very capable of, Draco," Dumbledore replied, "Think of it this way - at least you are not prophesied to defeat the darkest wizard of all time."

His eyes twinkled at his own joke, but Draco didn't smile at the old man's reference to Harry. He didn't even want to think about Potter right now. Draco wasn't sure what to say. Did he want to be a Double Agent? Was he even capable of all of this?

Seeing Draco's reaction, Dumbledore continued, "Harry will do it," he said firmly, with so much belief that even Draco believed him. "The Order will succeed. I know you want to be on the winning side, Draco. I know you want to keep your family and friends safe after this war too. If you accept, once Harry is victorious in defeating Voldemort, you will not be held accountable for any actions you were forced to make by Voldemort. You will be rewarded - as a member of the Order."

Draco buried his head in his hands again.

"I know you don't want to fight for his cause anymore, Draco." Dumbledore patted his shoulder with his boney fingers. "I am offering you a way out. Something I should have offered Regulus Black all of those years ago. Maybe you will get to have a spouse and children, whatever you wish..."

He felt his heart skip a beat. Draco saw Amora standing in front of him, smiling at him with that beautiful grin he loved so much, and in her arms was a bundle of blankets, a baby nestled inside with platinum blond hair and pale skin, sleeping. His heart ached. He wanted that - he wanted it so badly.

And was this not the break that he had been wishing for so badly? The kind of thing he had been after when he stumbled to Dumbledore's office on Christmas Eve about five months ago? Perhaps part of him had been hoping that Dumbledore would offer him a proper way out - fully, so he didn't have to become a murderer and sit through anymore meetings with his palms sweating and his heart pounding, praying he wouldn't be the next to face the wrath of Voldemort's Crucio.

"What are you thinking, Draco?" Dumbledore asked, "Maybe I can put your mind at ease."

"Wouldn't it be easier to send me to Azkaban?" Draco hissed.

"Perhaps. Although, you are only young, Draco. And the Order needs all the help it can get," Dumbledore replied, "I myself have acted selfishly and impulsively before. I've done things I have regretted, things that will stay with me forever. It would be a shame if you followed my footsteps."

Draco closed his eyes. "Why do - Why do I still have to kill you? Potter - aren't you his mentor or something? Doesn't he need you -?"

"Harry will not be alone once I am gone," Dumbledore replied, "This is crucial, Draco. This sacrifice is all for the greater good, I am sure of it."

Draco was overwhelmed, and the words tumbled out of his lips before he could even catch them. Not that he would take them back - not with the image of Amora in his head and the future that they could have.

"Okay," he whispered.

He knew he didn't really have a choice in the matter anyway. If he declined, Dumbledore probably would end up sending him to Azkaban. After all, he couldn't have a merciless Death Eater roaming around the schools. But that wasn't even why he was saying yes.

Still, he couldn't believe he was accepting. He was a Malfoy, for Merlin's sake. He was a Death Eater. His blood ran cold at the thought of messing up and getting himself and his family killed for his betrayal. He could only imagine his father's rage if he found out that this conversation had just taken place. Draco thought his mother would be angry, but not for the same reason, merely because Draco was putting himself in even more danger.

It was the pay off he was after though, he supposed. And so he wouldn't mess up. He couldn't afford to.

Dumbledore smiled. "I knew I could count on you, Draco. I am sure that once the war is over and you are able to out yourself as a Double Agent, then your friend Amora will be particularly pleased indeed. We should meet tomorrow evening to discuss in more detail."

"Y-Yeah," Draco swallowed, watching the man leave.

Dumbledore headed out of the doors, unsurprised when Snape suddenly joined his side.

"Potter, Buckley, and now Malfoy?" Snape sneered, "Do you find joy in making teenagers feel as though they bear the entire weight of a war on their shoulders?"

"It is not at all like that, Severus," Dumbledore replied as he carried on walking. "I am doing what is necessary in order for us to win."

"What happened to leaving Draco alone and keeping him out of Order business?" Snape continued, "What's in it for you?"

"Can somebody not offer help out of the goodness of their own heart?" Dumbledore quizzed.

"There's always a catch," Snape hissed, "You always expect favours in return. Besides, is one Double Agent not enough for you?"

"Severus, once you take over for Draco and finish the boy's task, the Order will be after you," Dumbledore said, "I think it is rather smart to have two. Especially one as trustworthy as a Malfoy. Nobody will ever suspect it. Not even his own parents."

"You're using him," Snape said, "What did you promise him? Immunity after the war? And he thinks risking his life is worth it?"

"He's young and in love," Dumbledore said pointedly, "Of course he would think it is worth it. You were the same once, Severus."

It was why he had told Amora all of that stuff, after all; why he had made her make the Unbreakable Vow and even encouraged her to mend her relationship with Draco in order to 'keep him in line' and 'protect the school.'

Severus liked to call it 'manipulating', however Dumbledore merely thought of it as strategy. You needed to be strategic to win a war. And Draco Malfoy would be a lot easier to convince if he had somebody to lose, after all.

Everything was aligning just as it should be. By the end of the month, the war would be tipped in the Dark Lord's favour, but not for long.

D.M + A.B

Amora bounded through the corridors, a grin on her face when she finally found the hospital wing she had been spending most of her time in over the past few weeks. Madam Pomfrey was nowhere to be seen as she moved over to Draco's bed, finding him sitting on the edge of it, staring into space. The box beside him was filled with his things, his bed made and his day clothes on.

"Happy birthday!" Amora cried, quickly wrapping her arms around him.

She felt Draco stiffen for a moment, most likely from shock since he seemed to have been daydreaming, but then his hands moved to hold her back. Amora pulled away from him, grasping his jaw with one hand and tilting it up ever so slightly so that she could plant a firm kiss against his lips.

"We have five minutes until the others get here," she warned him, "And, just so you're aware, Kathy will be there and she's huge on birthdays. Although, I think she's still scared of you so who knows how that will work out? Anyway! How do you feel? Does being of age feel weird?"

Draco released a breath through his nose, the hint of a smile on his face. "Just like all of our friends that you've already asked, seventeen feels exactly like sixteen, Amora."

"Really?" Amora frowned, "I thought they were lying - like, I thought maybe you'd feel more magical or something."

"Feel more magical?" Draco cocked an eyebrow.

"I don't know!" Amora exclaimed, "I'm so sorry that I wasn't able to buy you a proper present because I didn't get any money for Christmas -"

"It's okay," Draco said warmly, instantly.

"But I did hand make you a card," Amora said, "And I thought that I would use my limited sewing skills to teach myself how to crochet, except it turns out it's actually quite different to sewing by the way, however, I did end up managing it in the end. So here."

Draco watched as she dug something out of the inner pocket of her Hufflepuff robes, his brows furrowing when he saw what looked like a small black ball of wool. Then, she turned it over, and Draco's mouth automatically dropped open to chuckle softly, a look of amusement written across his face as he reached for it. Amora had managed to crochet a hand-sized penguin with rather wonky eyes, but it was adorable nevertheless.

"It's really childish, especially for your seventeenth birthday and stuff, and I'm sorry if you hate it. I can probably ask my parents for some money for a new gift but -"

"Would you shut up?" Draco sent her a look. "I love it."

He never in a billion years thought he would like such a gift, but with it coming from Amora, it was like a whole other story. Draco could imagine her spending her evenings tucked up in bed, huffing and rolling her eyes as she attempted to make him a birthday present with the limited resources that she had.

"Really?" Amora breathed out in relief.

"Would I lie to you?" He quipped back without thinking, and then felt immediate dread fill his system, his body growing slightly stiff again, his smile fading.

"Okay, good," Amora beamed, his mood going unnoticed. "Well, here is your card — it's penguin-themed too. Do you like it? It took me ages to draw all of the books."

Draco realised that the card was two penguins sitting on the floor with a book of shelves behind them. He couldn't help the smile as he turned to face her, cupping her cheek and bringing her closer so that he could kiss her sweetly on the lips. Her hand found his wrist, keeping him there for a few moments longer, until they heard a mixture of fake gags and immature whistles from their friends.

"It's eight in the morning, Draco, you slag," Blaise teased.

Draco and Amora looked into each other's eyes, trying not to smile. Draco rolled his eyes in amusement before he turned to face Blaise.

"Yeah, yeah. Where's my present then, Zabini?"

D.M + A.B

Unlike the past few years, no huge party was thrown for Draco this year. He wasn't sure if it was because he was less popular than ever, or if it was because people forgot the day due to his lack of involvement in almost every aspect of school and social life. However, he found that he didn't really care. He'd never really been into partying. He liked the drinking, the atmosphere, having something to celebrate... but at the end of the day, Draco saw no point in partying with people whose faces he couldn't even recall, or others that he wouldn't want to come near him with a ten foot pole.

So this was perfect. Perhaps a little risky considering the war they were living in, but perfect nevertheless. Pansy had ditched her last lesson and set up fairy lights around one of the trees at the bottom of the field whilst Amora snuck to the kitchens and asked the House-elves politely for a range of different foods. Blaise had gotten a hold of a large bottle of Firewhisky, Draco's favourite, and Theo had somehow managed to get a hold of a Muggle CD player with only one CD - some British band that Draco obviously didn't recognise.

He'd said he didn't mind everybody's girlfriends coming (even though he did mind because he could never feel fully comfortable around Kathy, Luna, or Evangelina), but none of them did. Draco thought that Pansy, Theo, and Blaise had probably not invited them on purpose. It felt meaningful that it was just the five of them today, celebrating Draco's seventeenth year on this planet. He truly loved the four people sitting around him like family - something that, as a Malfoy, he had thought was impossible. With the exception of his wonderful mother, these people who sat around him felt like his real family.

The CD had stopped playing, just making a buzzing sound, so Theo had to pop out the disc and put it back in to start it back up again. Apparently all of the songs on that album had already been played. There was a small screen that read 'TR 01' and Draco realised the number changed with every new song that played. It was quite curious really, but he tried not to look too interested. It was easy when his friends were sitting around him, all as drunk and happy as he was. Draco wasn't even thinking about the conversation that he'd had with Dumbledore that morning.

"Just Amora to turn seventeen now," Pansy mentioned with a grin as she took a swig from the bottle, passing it on to Theo.

Amora smiled. "Yeah. Just a couple more months."

Draco felt a sort of sinking feeling in his chest, his eyes flickering down to the girl who was pressed to his side, her fingers fiddling with the bottom of the jumper she was wearing that actually belonged to him. It was the Slytherin one she had embroidered him for his fifteenth birthday, but it didn't really fit him well anymore, so she'd been stealing it.

He knew this birthday would be different for Amora. Draco knew there was no way he would be able to sneak into her safe house this year and try and give her the best birthday ever - he probably wouldn't even be able to send her letters. Well, if the truth came out, she probably wouldn't even want his letters...

"I'm going to Apparate everywhere once we're off Hogwarts grounds," Blaise hummed drunkenly, smiling up at the sky from where he lay by Draco and Amora's feet. "Even, like three feet in front of me. I'll Apparate from my bed to the shower and then back to my bed and then down to the kitchen -"

"Looks like Blaise is planning on gaining a few pounds for his seventh year," Pansy teased, making the boy roll his eyes and reach out to pinch her ankle.

She reacted by kicking him in the head. Luckily she wasn't wearing shoes and it wasn't too hard, but Blaise put on a big show for everybody anyway, rolling about and clutching the wrong side of his face as if he had been pelted with a rock or something. Amora giggled fondly, shaking her head at the two of them.

"Children, children," Theo called, holding his hands out, rolling his eyes when Blaise carried on. "Zabini shut the fuck up!"

Blaise's eyes widened and he froze in place.

"Thank you," Theo sighed dramatically, "Merlin, are you two sure you weren't siblings separated at birth or something? You argue like you are."

Blaise and Pansy glanced each other up and down. "Yeah, I'm pretty sure we're not related, Theo," Blaise said, referring to their complete opposite appearances.

Amora smiled, leaning against Draco's arms. Their legs were sprawled out in front of them, keeping themselves propped up right with their hands behind them. She reached forward and grabbed the Firewhisky, taking yet another swig from the bottle that was very nearly empty now. She passed it to Draco who took a longer swig. She watched his Adam's apple bob as he swallowed, cursing herself for finding that attractive.

"You're being quite quiet," Amora hummed to him.

"Just enjoying it all," Draco said, "I'm alright."

"Oh, this is the good song!" Pansy suddenly perked up as 'TR 03' started on the CD player. "Amora, dance with me."

Amora giggled from her spot on the ground as Pansy climbed to her feet. "I am comfy," Amora disclaimed.

The dark-haired girl rolled her eyes. "And I'm Pansy Parkinson and I always get my way. Nice to meet you. Now get the fuck up and dance with me."

Draco chuckled, his hand moving to the small of Amora's back as she picked herself up off of the ground. She dusted down the back of her dress, grabbing a hold of Pansy's hands which were being held out to her. Pansy began to do some sort of playful motion, pulling each arm back and towards her one at a time, leading them closer to the CD player. It was clearly meant to be a joke and not serious dancing and Amora laughed, feeling her head spin with all of the alcohol inside of her.

"Me too," Blaise quipped.

He grabbed a hold of Pansy's hand and Amora's hand, ripping them apart so that he could make a circle out of them. Amora almost thought about the time the Weasley twins had dragged her towards the fire to dance on the night of the Ireland VS Bulgaria game, except this felt far more natural and freeing... This is where Amora was sure she belonged.

"Come on, kick those legs," Theo called.

"Get your arse up here, you two," Blaise snapped, "Don't be little pussies."

Theo was almost instantly on his feet, as if all he had needed was the invite, but Draco was a little more reluctant. Amora drifted over to him, reaching her hands out.

"Come on, big guy," Amora slurred with a beam, "You're only seventeen once."

"I will be seventeen for the next three hundred and sixty five days," Draco replied.

"You're so funny, Draco."

"It wasn't a joke, Amora."

Nevertheless, he was on his feet too, his large, cold hands clamped over hers. He stumbled into her a little bit, clearly underestimating how drunk he was, and they both laughed. Amora moved their hands about, bringing him closer to their friends.

"Wow, you got the actual antonym of fun to get up and dance. Congrats, Amora," Pansy quipped, earning a fierce glare from the blond.

"I'm fun," Draco protested, still sending a death squint to Pansy as he allowed Amora to use his hand to twirl herself.

"If fun means 'stick in the mud' -"

"Well, fortunately, it doesn't."

Pansy shrugged. "Then you're not fun, Malfoy."

"Oh? Then dance with me, Parkinson," Draco dared, grabbing Pansy by her forearm and dragging her closer to him. "Come on, let's have a fun dance. Because I'm so fun."

"No way -" Pansy began to tug herself away from him.

"Who's being the stick in the mud now then, huh?"

Amora laughed, watching Pansy reluctantly move beside Draco. Draco smirked menacingly at Pansy, grabbing her by the shoulders and shaking her a little bit, as if in time to the music.

"You're stiff as a board," he said.

Pansy gritted her teeth. Theo slung an arm around Amora's shoulder and only then did she realise how amused the two other Slytherin boys were too.

"When are we going to put them both out of their misery?" Theo whispered.

"Never," Blaise said firmly, "We should leave so that they look like idiots dancing by themselves."

"I wouldn't even call that dancing," Amora whispered with a giggle, holding her fingers over her lips. "It looks like they're... struggling."

Theo snorted, laughing drunkenly as he moved to rest his head on top of Amora's. Blaise slung his arm over the two of them before quickly removing it, causing them to glance at him curiously. His eyes were wide and excited, causing Theo to groan loudly. He knew what that look meant.

"Amora, get on my shoulders," Blaise demanded.

Amora furrowed her brows at him. "Whattt?" She laughed. Then she couldn't stop.

Theo pinched the bridge of his nose. "Blaise, there is literally no point in Amora getting on your shoulders and you're both drunk as shit so -"

"You're drunk too," Blaise quickly accused.

"That has nothing to do with you wanting to give Amora a piggyback ride."

Amora scrunched her nose. "Did you just call me a pig?"

"What?" Theo yelled, exasperated.

"I think that makes me the pig in the situation," Blaise frowned.

Blaise and Amora began to giggle as Blaise crouched so Amora could climb up his back. It gathered the attention of Draco who paused what he was doing, releasing a small groan. Pansy quickly looked over, clamping her hand over her mouth.

"You two are idiots!" Pansy exclaimed.

"Stand slowly!" Amora warned Blaise. "Oh, I've got no hair to hold onto, baldy! It's too short!"

"Don't call me baldy, baldy," Blaise said back as he began to slowly stand, feeling Amora's hands grab at his head rather uncomfortably, and he couldn't help but thank the heavens that her nails had been cut short.

"I'm up, I'm up!" Amora laughed, kicking away Draco and Theo's arms as they reached to make sure that she was steady on Blaise's shoulders. "Oh my gosh, I am so tall! I can see all of the tops of your heads— Wow, Pans?"

"What?"

"Your hair is soooo shiny." Amora narrowed her eyes in the dark. "It's so pretty."

Pansy chuckled. "Thank you, 'Mora."

Suddenly, Amora released a gasp so loud and abrupt that everybody was quickly sticking their arms out. Draco grabbed her leg.

"What?" Draco spat in annoyance when he realised she wasn't falling and that she was now smiling.

"Hogwarts is pretty. I can see the towers and I see trees and I can even see - I can see - a man who looks a lot like Filch coming towards us!"

Their heads snapped in the direction that Amora was pointing, which was towards the school. Everybody froze, realising that Amora really was pointing out a furious looking Filch heading for them.

"Shit!" Theo hissed, "Amora get the fuck down! Pans, grab the CD player -"

"Fuck the CD player," Pansy cursed, watching as Blaise and Amora stumbled to unattach their limbs from one another.

Draco managed to help peel her off of Blaise's back halfway down, her legs staggering for a moment before the five of them took off running in the opposite direction to where Filch was coming from. Their drunken laughter filled the air, taunting the old caretaker as he tried to keep up with the teenagers but to no avail. They eventually found themselves doing a small lap and realising they were back by the greenhouses. They ducked behind one, panting and laughing into their palms.

"That was so close," Pansy snickered breathlessly.

"Good thing I was on lookout," Amora beamed, her eyes nearly shutting as she leaned her head against Draco's shoulder.

The blond had mostly sobered up from the shock of seeing Filch coming after them, and he stroked Amora's hair.

"Yeah, you did a good job," he teased her.

"Half credit goes to me. I held her up," Blaise muttered before he winced. "Oh fuck. I'm gonna be sick."

He crawled forwards on his knees a few feet, palms keeping him upright as he threw up all of the contents from his stomach into the grass. Everybody winced whilst Pansy moved forward to rub his back for him whilst he continued to be sick.

"I'm not a lightweight, it's from running with that much alcohol," Blaise claimed once he'd finished, wiping his mouth with the back of his arm. "Oh, it's coming again."

Amora cringed, burying her face into Draco so she didn't have to watch. She didn't think she was an empathetic vomiter, but Blaise was right - running on a stomach filled with nothing but alcohol and a few slices of birthday cake felt like death. Blaise made retching noises again as he was sick.

Amora felt her stomach turn and she quickly tugged on the jumper Draco wore. "I'm going to be sick too," she whispered quickly.

Draco was swift in guiding her a little further away from their friends, over towards a bush. He pulled her long hair back as she threw up, a lot less dramatically than Blaise was being. Pansy came over with a hairband and Draco stared at it curiously for a moment before he did his best to tie her hair back for her. He'd watched Amora do it countless times and she made it look so effortlessly easy, but it was a challenge for him now. Once he'd managed, he went back to rubbing her back in soothing motions.

"Just let it out," Draco said softly.

"I'm sorry," Amora muttered before she was sick again. "I think that's it."

"Are you sure?" He asked, earning a nod from her.

The group sat silently with each other now, the cold seeming to catch up on them now that they weren't having so much fun. They shivered and stared at the ground, arms wrapped around themselves.

"Why do we ignore the inevitable?" Pansy suddenly said, her tone so down that Amora was surprised. "We keep talking about a seventh year and shit, but it's not happening. Not after this summer."

Draco's eyes widened a little and he sent a look to Theo who wrapped an arm around Pansy. "Let's get you to bed, Pans."

"What do you mean 'after this summer'?" Amora asked, frowning in concern. Her eyes and head still heavy and her stomach still floating.

"Our seventh year is - it's gonna be - it will be shit," Pansy slurred as Theo dragged her to her feet. "And it's Draco's fault. Stupid Death Eater -"

"Pansy!" Theo scolded her.

Amora frowned defensively. "Pans, it's not his fault, remember?"

Draco placed a hand on her arm. "Ignore her, Amora," he said, swallowing thickly to rid the nervous knot in his throat.

"Merlin, it's going to shit... All going to shit..." Pansy continued on rambling, her voice growing quieter and quieter with the further that Theo brought her away from them and back into the castle.

"She is absolutely plastered," Blaise muttered, rubbing his forehead. "And I am knackered so I think I'll follow."

Draco sent Blaise a nod as the tall Slytherin walked away, staggering a little in his drunken state. He called after Theo, telling him to slow down.

"Don't worry about what Pans said," Amora muttered as Draco helped her to her feet. "She's just drunk."

"Mhm," Draco dismissed, "And so are you. We should head to bed ourselves. You're definitely going to have a hangover in the morning."

Amora didn't say anything but allowed herself to be gently pulled in the direction of the school. She kept stumbling over her own feet, grateful for the fact that Draco had sobered up mostly, or else they'd probably be tripping over each other. It was as if she kept blacking out because the next thing she knew, they were in their room in the Room of Requirement - the one with the bed and the window that feigned looking out over the sea.

"Arms up."

Amora did as she was told and felt Draco's fingers brush her stomach accidentally as he pulled the jumper she was wearing off of her head. She moved towards him, her hands gliding up his arms as he attempted to get her top off too.

"Amora, it's kind of hard to get you undressed for bed when you're feeling me up," Draco said.

"I wanna undress you too," Amora mumbled.

"I'm undressing you because you're so drunk that you can't walk straight. Not because we're going to have sex, darling," Draco said softly, pulling her shirt over her head finally, leaving her top half bare in front of him. "Can you get your shorts off?"

Amora pulled a face as she did as she was asked, struggling a little until Draco helped. "But birthday sex -"

"You're way too drunk for that," Draco said, "And you've just been sick. Like, three times."

Her bottom lip jutted out. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I - I wanted to make your birthday special, but I've ruined it because I can't handle my alcohol and I only planned on having a few sips so I would be sober so we could do it, but it tasted so nice and I got so distracted. And then we ran and my stomach felt so poorly and I just couldn't help it."

Draco's eyes shone with amusement for a few moments as he guided her over to the bathroom. The Room of Requirement had conjured everything they needed inside of it, so he found a toothbrush and some toothpaste and handed it to her whilst he peeled his own top off. Amora stared at the brush for a few moments.

"Brush your teeth," Draco told her, "And you haven't ruined my birthday. We can still hold each other or something."

Amora reluctantly began to brush her teeth. Draco joined her after a moment, watching her in the mirror as he cleaned his pearly whites. She kept blinking hard, as if to keep herself awake, her body swaying ever so slightly from the drink in her system. Once he was done, he spat his toothpaste into the sink and Amora copied him.

"Bed time," he murmured and hauled her off of the ground.

Amora released a surprised gasp, holding onto him tightly from where his arms were wrapped around her bottom half, nearly flinging her over his shoulder. She giggled against him, the vibrations humming through Draco's body as he dropped her onto the mattress.

Amora quickly moved onto the right side of the bed, her designated side whenever they happened to sleep together, pulling the covers over herself. Draco got in a little more gracefully, grabbing his wand that he had left on the bedside table to turn all of the lights in the room off. They could barely see one another as Draco reached for her, pulling her onto his chest.

He opened his lips to tell her how much he loved her, but for some reason nothing came out. Draco merely enjoyed the silence, the distant sound of fake waves crashing outside the fake window. His brain floated back to Dumbledore this morning - their conversation had felt as though it had taken place years ago. Tomorrow he'd have to talk to him again about it all in his office.

Draco was to be a Double Agent. He was going to cross the Dark Lord. He was going to work for the Order, and he was going to be on the winning side— if Dumbledore was telling the truth. More importantly, Draco was going to be on Amora's side. And then, when the war was over, it would be just like this — them, cuddled up together in a bedroom with the sea crashing about outside.

Before that though, he would have to let the Death Eaters into the school. He would have to murder Dumbledore. He'd have to give Voldemort the advantage so that supposedly Dumbledore's plan could take place. Draco dreaded to think how powerful Dumbledore really was if he had a plan this intricate. And it couldn't have been a recent plan. Perhaps, during their Sorting all those years ago, Dumbledore had looked at each and every one of their faces and decided who was truly important to him and who was not. Who would help him win the war and who wouldn't.

Draco was sure that was why Dumbledore favoured Harry. Maybe he liked the Gryffindors because he knew they would be brave enough to fight when it came down to it, so he buttered them up...

Draco shook his head and all of the theories out. Dumbledore wasn't some evil mastermind.

He was glad Amora wasn't involved, other than the article her mother had posted. Not many people spoke about it anymore now that Professor Buckley had left and gone into hiding.

Amora's soft breaths fanned across his bare skin, warming him, and he quickly realised that Amora had managed to doze off. Usually it took her at least ten minutes, but he supposed she had had a long day. He pressed an absentminded kiss to the top of her head.

"I'm sorry," Draco whispered.

He closed his own eyes, missing the way Amora's brows furrowed in confusion.

...

im probably going to be quite busy over the next few weeks because im moving to uni in september so im spending a lot of time preparing and spending time with friends and family. updates will hopefully still be once a week, but if there's long pauses, you'll know why :)

also the next chapter is the last one of HBP ahhhhh

thanks for reading! <3

word count: 7.6k

dyiansobrien.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 154 28
#1 [BOOK ONE] "He's so close that his heart thumps against my skin, its rhythm mirroring the crazed woodpeckering of my own heart. It is like we are...
123K 2.3K 20
What if Ron had a twin sister? But alike in some ways but not many. She is sorted into Slytherin not Gryffindor. Her parents we ashamed a Weasley in...
119K 11K 80
Two arrogant, stubborn and headstrong enemies who are the bane of each other's existence. So, what happens when the temperature rises? Does disdain u...
100K 1.6K 32
Amelia has always been a bit strange. She was almost placed in Ravenclaw for her brains but was instead put into Hufflepuff due to her kindness. She'...