Love Is In The Air: The Angel...

By Neonidhi

(Please drop a comment and ♥ the story if you like it. This encourages me to write better.) BOOK 5 (The Orde... More

Voldemort And Zagan
Dear Remus Lupin
Narcissa Malfoy's Strategy
Charlie Weasley
Charlie and his Dragon
The Quidditch World Cup
Draco And Charlie Fight
The Dark Mark
Everyone Fights At The Burrow
Heading Back To Hogwarts
The Triwizard Tournament
Dumbledore's Surprise
Mad Eye Moody
Neville's Parents
The Collar Of Sex
Beauxbatons And Durmstrang
The Goblet Of Fire: A Wild Card Champion
The Four Champions
Harry Potter - The 5th Champion
Slytherin's Champion
The Wand Weighing Ceremony
Fame And Lovers
The Five Dragons
Helping Hogwarts Champions
The First Task
A Spicy Night With Draco
Cedric's Love - Pansy's Deal
Yule Ball - The Proposals
Yule Ball - The Perfect Partner
The Yule Ball Dress
The Yule Ball - Dancing With Charlie
The Yule Ball - Over The Lake
Losing Harry Potter
Viktor Krum's Secret
The Golden Egg
Friends From Slytherin
The Second Task
Draco Or Death
Rita Skeeter's Article
Dumbledore's Strategy
Andrew's Escape
Moody's Advice
Dumbledore And Fudge
The Pensive
Dumbledore And Gemma
Weasleys And William
The Third Task
Cedric's Death
Death Eaters And Demons
Voldemort's Master
Cedric's Return
Dumbledore And Sirius
Draco Joins Dumbledore
Dumbledore's Speech
Goodbyes And Kisses

Mr Crouch's Warning

3 0 0
By Neonidhi

Fay didn't return to the dormitory the entire week. They had no idea what was going to happen with her. After all, Andrew had managed to trap her body under his command with his enchanted blood.

It had turned out that Andrew had escaped by the time Moody, Snape and Hagrid had searched the entire forest. They had even taken the help of the centaurs, but they found nothing. Andrew's father had been informed that he had gone missing - that he ran away. And, the ministry had also sent out a search party for him. A missing person's case had been registered by the Aurors. Dumbledore hadn't informed Mr Bolton that Andrew had been supporting Zagan because he wouldn't have believed it anyway. Nobody would have believed that Zagan was rising again. Apart from that, Dumbledore wanted to keep things quiet with the Triwizard Tournament going on because Rita Skeeter was bound to jump in again.

However, Fay's parents, who lived in Portugal, hadn't been informed about anything or else they would have arrived at Hogwarts to find out the truth. This assured Heroneka that Fay was still alright, wherever she was.

Although Heroneka and Harry had listened to Dumbledore and hadn't told anyone else about Fay's situation, the two of them had ended up telling their friends about Andrew's plan. Harry had told Ron and Hermione that they had seen Andrew, trying to threaten Fay and when they had tried to save her, Andrew had escaped towards the Dark Forest.

When Heroneka told Draco, Viktor and Blaise the same thing that Harry had told Ron and Hermione, it was Blaise who seemed most shattered. He couldn't believe that someone would try to hurt Fay Renault, a kind-hearted, brave and beautiful girl. They were talking by the edge of the lake and Blaise just kept pacing in front of the bench Heroneka, Draco and Viktor were sitting on.

"I olvays hated him." Viktor scowled at the lake. "I veel not need a vond to kill Andrew if I meet him ever again."

"How could he have escaped?" Draco said in disbelief. "I mean, Moody went right after him, didn't he?"

"But he limps a lot!" Heroneka said impatiently. "By the time he might have reached the forest, Andrew would have just run to Zagan's hiding spot and left with him."

"Let's just say vee are glad that Fay is alright." Said Viktor. "He did not hurt her. You and Potter saved her in time."

Draco and Viktor were smouldering, looking murderous. Heroneka didn't dare tell them that Andrew had made Fay his slave. Just the news that he had threatened Fay, was making them heave with anger.

"But he hurt her feelings!" Blaise fired up. "That sick maniac!!"

Heroneka wondered if Blaise liked Fay. His behaviour was reflecting it for sure.

"I want to see Fay!" Blaise kept pacing around, looking scared. "Why hasn't she returned yet?"

"She will!" Said Draco. "I'm sure Dumbledore might be trying to get all the information from her about Andrew. She spent most of her time with him."

Heroneka's heart lurched hearing that. Fay spent so much time with Andrew, not being loved, but getting harassed and tortured. Heroneka recalled how Andrew had almost harassed her the previous year, and Draco, Blaise, Harry, and Ron had hit him so much. What would they do if she told them what Fay had been through being in a 'relationship' with Andrew since Christmas?

A week went by and Fay finally returned. Heroneka was sitting on her bed, in her dormitory, reading Gemma's book. She stood up quickly watching Fay enter the dorm, followed by Hermione, Lavender and Parvati.

"Fay!" Heroneka ran up to her, hugging her tightly.

She hugged Heroneka back but didn't say anything. She just burst into tears, shaking hysterically. Hermione was sobbing watching her. Lavender and Parvati stood near them, looking grim and sober.

"What happened?" Heroneka tried to pull away from Fay, but she wasn't letting go of her. "Where have you been? Are you alright?"

"They cut her finger!" Hermione said abruptly, wiping her tears.

Heroneka watched her in disbelief. She pushed Fay away a little trying to get hold of her hands. To her horror, Hermione was right. The ring finger on Fay's left hand was missing. Fay cried even harder, hiding her face in Heroneka's arms. When everyone asked Fay why Dumbledore had taken her away, she managed to speak a little and say that one of her spells went horribly wrong, trying to Andrew from running towards the forest. They had to cut off her finger to save her hand from getting infected.

But Heroneka knew that wasn't the truth. It burnt her from inside, even looking at Fay. How could she have let this happen? Why couldn't she have pulled up some courage and talked to Fay about not going to the Yule Ball with Andrew? None of this would have happened if only Heroneka would have chosen to be brutally honest with her, not kindly silent to give Fay some temporary happiness.

"Snape managed to collect all of Andrew's enchanted blood in my ring finger," Fay told her after all the other girls had left. "He asked me which finger I was willing to lose." She touched her left hand's fingers. "He said that the finger can't be regrown with magic because... It is getting rid of the dark magic. It can't be healed."

"Why did you choose the ring finger?" Heroneka asked her softly.

"I don't want any other boy in my life ever again." She sobbed. "Never."

As days passed by Fay began to talk again, but barely. She was spending all her time with Heroneka now, not looking at anyone else. Blaise would keep watching her whenever he could. In the Potions class, Care for Magical Creatures class, the Great Hall, library, literally... Everywhere. He would try to talk to Fay, but looking at how depressed she had become, he couldn't pull up the courage.

People would watch Heroneka more now because her protective shield was active a lot. She had to tell everyone that it was some kind of phase in her angelic evolution during which she couldn't control her shield. Ron and Hermione, who knew about Andrew's truth, were now beginning to get normal towards Heroneka. She knew they feared that something might happen to her. Although they didn't talk to her, Ron and Hermione were now hanging out quietly with her as Harry refused to leave her alone. Fay would accompany them too. She had slapped Harry once for calling Heroneka names. But now, after he had saved her from Andrew, Fay was being nice to him and they were getting along too.

Draco wasn't liking any of it because Heroneka being accompanied by Harry, meant that he would get less time with her. But because he knew Dumbledore had asked Harry to stay with Heroneka, he was cooperative.

"Maybe Dumbledore is keeping an eye on Potter!" Draco told Heroneka. "We can't be the only ones who have figured out that the Dark Lord is returning. Dumbledore wants to make sure that you stay with Potter so its easier for him to keep an eye on the two of you."

The start of the summer term would normally have meant that Heroneka was training hard for the last Quidditch match of the season. This year, however, it was the third and final task in the Triwizard Tournament for which she needed to prepare, but she still didn't know what he would have to do, neither did Harry or Viktor. Finally, in the last week of May, Professor McGonagall held Heroneka and Harry back in Transfiguration.

"You both are to go down to the Quidditch field tonight at nine o'clock. Pearlstone, Potter," she told them. "Mr Bagman will be there to tell the champions about the third task."

So at half-past eight that night, Heroneka and Harry left Ron and Hermione in Gryffindor Tower and went downstairs. As they crossed the entrance hall, Cedric came up from the Hufflepuff common room. He smiled at the two of them, which was a relief for Heroneka because Cedric had been ignoring her since the second task.

"What d'you reckon it's going to be?" he asked her and Harry as they went together down the stone steps, out into the cloudy night. "Fleur keeps going on about underground tunnels; she reckons we've got to find treasure."

"That wouldn't be too bad," said Harry.

Heroneka thought the same. She could either ask Hagrid to lend some of the nifflers to her or turn into one. They had a class with him a few days ago when Hagrid had given every student one niffler each and ask them to find leprechaun gold he had hidden in the ground.

They walked down the dark lawn to the Quidditch stadium, turned through a gap in the stands, and walked out onto the field.

"What've they done to it?" Cedric said indignantly, stopping dead.

"I wish Oliver Wood was here." Heroneka chuckled. "He would have slaughtered them all for doing this."

The Quidditch field was no longer smooth and flat. It looked as though somebody had been building long, low walls all over it that twisted and crisscrossed in every direction.

"They're hedges!" said Harry, bending to examine the nearest one.

"Hello there!" called a cheery voice.

Ludo Bagman was standing in the middle of the field with Viktor and Fleur. Heroneka, Harry and Cedric made their way toward them, climbing over the hedges. Fleur beamed at Harry as he came nearer. Her attitude toward him had changed completely since he had saved her sister from the lake. But, she cast a look of loathing at Heroneka like she usually did. Viktor nodded gently at her and she returned a smile.

"Well, what d'you think?" said Bagman happily as Heroneka, Harry and Cedric climbed over the last hedge. "Growing nicely, aren't they? Give them a month and Hagrid'll have them twenty feet high. Don't worry," he added, grinning, spotting the less-than-happy expressions on Heroneka's, Harry's and Cedric's faces, "you'll have your Quidditch field back to normal once the task is over! Now, I imagine you can guess what we're making here?"

No one spoke for a moment. Then -

"Maze," grunted Viktor.

"That's right!" said Bagman. "A maze. The third task's really very straightforward. The Triwizard Cup will be placed in the centre of the maze. The first champion to touch it will receive full marks."

"We seemply 'ave to get through ze maze?" said Fleur.

"There will be obstacles," said Bagman happily, bouncing on the balls of his feet. "Hagrid is providing several creatures...then there will be spells that must be broken...all that sort of thing, you know. Now, the champions who are leading on points will get a head start into the maze." Bagman grinned at Harry and Cedric. "Then Miss Pearlstone, then Mr Krum will enter...then Miss Delacour. But you'll all be in with a fighting chance, depending on how well you get past the obstacles. Should be fun, eh?"

Heroneka and Harry exchanged a look. They knew too well the kind of creatures that Hagrid was likely to provide for an event like this, though it was unlikely to be any fun at all. However, they nodded politely like the other champions.

"Very well...if you haven't got any questions, we'll go back up to the castle, shall we, it's a bit chilly...."

Bagman hurried alongside Harry as they began to wend their way out of the growing maze. Heroneka had the feeling that Bagman was going to start offering to help Harry again, but just then, Viktor tapped Harry on the shoulder.

"Could I haff a vord?" He said.

Heroneka gaped at Viktor. What did he want to talk about? He had never talked to Harry before.

"Yeah, all right," said Harry, slightly surprised.

"Vill you valk with me?" Viktor asked him.

"Okay," said Harry curiously.

Bagman looked slightly perturbed too.

"I'll wait for you. Harry, shall I?"

"No, it's okay, Mr Bagman," said Harry, suppressing a smile, "I think I can find the castle on my own, thanks."

As Bagman left, Heroneka watched Viktor and Harry walked away as well.

"Snitchy?"

She turned to look at Cedric, who had just shrugged off Fleur away. The part-veela flashed her silvery hair and then left.

"Hey," Heroneka tried to be as normal as possible.

Cedric smiled kindly at her. "Can we talk?"

"Sure." She said it too quickly getting nervous.

Heroneka and Cedric left the stadium together, but Cedric did not set a course for the Castle entrance. Instead, he walked towards the lawn.

"What're we going this way for?" said Heroneka as they turned towards the lawn, overlooking the lake.

"I don't want anyone to hear us," Cedric said quietly.

When at last they had reached the lawn, Cedric turned to face Heroneka.

"I want to know," he said, getting serious, "what's going on between you and Malfoy."

Heroneka gave him a confused and puzzled look. The entire school knew by now what was going on between her and Draco.

"I know that you lied to me that you love him." Cedric went on. "Because you told me that you would save Malfoy, right before we went inside the lake. But it was a lie... Or hopefully, a joke! Because Viktor Krum saved him. They're friends! You saved your best friend - Hermione Granger!"

Heroneka, who from Cedric's secretive manner had expected something much more serious than this, stared up at Cedric in amazement.

"Cedric," she said politely. "I and Draco are in a relationship. Even his father knows about it."

"No, you're not!" Cedric said being confident. "I don't understand why you are pushing me away from you, Snitchy. You made me ask Cho Chang for the Yule Ball because you didn't want to go with me. If you were dating Malfoy you would have gone with him. But you went with Charlie Weasley, an ex-student?" He shook his head in disbelief. "Am I that bad - you had to call a boy from outside the school? I mean, I know he is nice and all, but don't you think Charlie was a little old for you?"

Heroneka had no words. It was only now after Cedric had said all this to her, that she realised how amazing her and Draco's plan had been working until the second task. If they would have kept it going, nobody would have found out about their relationship at Hogwarts. Cedric seemed determined to get an honest answer from Heroneka. He was thinking that she had done all this to push him away from her. He didn't know about her sex collar tragedy or what had happened under the lake during the second task. He was only analysing everything with what he already knew.

"Cedric," she began. "I just thought inviting Charlie was a good idea. He is a good friend."

"Leave him aside!" Cedric said impatiently. "What about me? Why are you pushing me away?"

"Aren't you dating Cho?" She asked him abruptly.

"Not anymore!" He said looking quite relieved about it. "All she wanted was to hang out in public with me - go to Hogsmeade so I could spend my gold on her and she could show off to others that she had me." He laughed softly, shaking his head. "In fact, she was the one who figured out that I want to be with you. I kept talking to her about you all the time and she... lost it. Dumped me..."

Heroneka was at loss for words now. She knew that a lot of boys were attracted to her angelic aura. But hearing Cedric was making her wonder if he really loved her.

"Are you sure that... Do you really like me? It could be some sort of infatuation, Cedric. A lot of boys have been --"

"Are you being serious?" Cedric looked a little upset. "What kind of boy talks to his father about a girl if he isn't in love with her - tells his father how beautiful she is?"

Suddenly, Heroneka was reminded of Amos Diggory. When she had met him for the first time while heading for the portkey to the Quidditch world cup, he had blurted out that Cedric used to talk about her a lot at home.

"Snitchy," Cedric tried to smile. "I have loved you since I have seen you - playing Quidditch - saving Harry from those dementors! I have told you before."

Heroneka didn't know how to explain to him that she was really dating Draco. So, she simply pulled the chain around her neck, out of the neck of the robes. She showed it to Cedric and saw it! A tiny bottle locket, accompanied by the Malfoy ring that Draco had given her, hanging off the chain.

For a few moments, Cedric didn't say anything at all.

"You see," said Heroneka. "I really love Draco. He has loved me since my first year at Hogwarts. We have been seeing each other since then... But always tried to hide our feelings. Finally, a few weeks ago, we decided to be open about our relationship."

Cedric kept staring at the Malfoy ring. "Are you both... Engaged or something?"

"No." She said tucking back the chain inside her robes. "It's kind of a family heirloom. He wanted me to have it because he wants me to become a part of his family eventually."

Cedric's lips quivered. His eyes welled up and he looked away. Heroneka knew that she had hurt him, but what else could she do? There was no point in lying to him about her and Draco. It would hurt him more.

"I am sorry about Cho." She said softly. "I didn't know she would be like that."

"Well," Cedric let out a soft laugh, wiping his tears. "We can't blame her, can we? It is me who has been so silly. I ignore the girls who actually like me and go after those who either want some benefits out of me or just don't want me."

"Cedric," Heroneka began, but he raised a hand, motioning her to stop.

"I really hope..." He said slowly heading towards the castle, away from her. "I really hope, Snitchy, that you get the boy you're in love with."

He didn't stop to say anything else. Cedric walked away as quickly as he could. Heroneka felt like a jerk. No matter what she did or didn't do, everything was hurting someone. Harry, Hermione, Fay, Viktor, Charlie... Now even Cedric.

She slowly made her way back to the castle and had just entered the oak main doors when something hard hit her body from behind and she almost fell.

"Snitchy!"

It was Harry, who caught her to stop her from falling.

"What is wrong with you?" She eyes him massaging her arm.

"Dumbledore!" He yelled, pulling her with him. "We have to find Dumbledore."

"What?" Heroneka was getting dragged behind him.

"Mr Crouch just showed up outside the forest!" Said Harry as they ran together. "He wants me to call Dumbledore. Something is wrong with him."

Heroneka understood that this wasn't the time to ask questions so she joined him quietly. They tore up the marble staircase, toward the second floor.

Five minutes later they were hurtling toward a stone gargoyle standing halfway along an empty corridor.

"Sher - sherbet lemon!" he panted at it.

"That's a password?" Heroneka asked him. "Where are we going?"

"It's the password to the hidden staircase to Dumbledore's office!" Harry told her. "Or at least, it had been two years ago."

"Two years ago?" She gave him a look of utter disbelief.

"I was brought here by McGonagall when everyone thought I was the heir of Slytherin." He said quickly. "I've been to Dumbledore's office before. Back then, the password was sherbet lemon."

"Oh," she gazed at the stone gargoyle.

The password had evidently changed, however, for the stone gargoyle did not spring to life and jump aside, but stood frozen, glaring at Harry and Heroneka malevolently.

"Move!" Harry shouted at it. "C'mon!"

"Only if things would move aside at Hogwarts because you shouted at them!" Heroneka said pointedly.

"That would be great!" He said getting pissed. "I would kick Malfoy away from you first."

Heroneka was about to snap at him.

"Let's check the staff room. Dumbledore might be there." Harry began to run and Heroneka followed.

"POTTER!"

Harry skidded to a halt as Heroneka almost ran into him and they looked around. Snape had just emerged from the hidden staircase behind the stone gargoyle. The wall was sliding shut behind him even as he beckoned Harry and Heroneka back toward him.

"What are you doing here, Potter?" He glared at Harry. "You know Miss Pearlstone must be kept out of danger. Wandering around at night --"

"I need to see Professor Dumbledore!" said Harry, running back up the corridor and skidding to a standstill in front of Snape instead. "It's Mr Crouch...he's just turned up...he's in the forest...he's asking -"

"What is this rubbish?" said Snape, his black eyes glittering. "What are you talking about?"

Heroneka felt her scar burn. It reminded her that she wasn't supposed to run at all. She quickly undid the bottle locket around her neck and drank from it, joining Harry and Snape.

"Mr Crouch!" Harry shouted. "From the Ministry! He's ill or something - he's in the forest, he wants to see Dumbledore! Just give me the password up to -"

"The headmaster is busy. Potter," said Snape, his thin mouth curling into an unpleasant smile.

"I've got to tell Dumbledore!" Harry yelled.

"Didn't you hear me, Potter?" Said, Snape.

Heroneka could tell Snape was thoroughly enjoying himself, denying Harry the thing he wanted when he was so panicky.

"Miss Pearlstone, what is Potter talking about?" Snape turned to her.

In complete honesty, she had no idea.

"He says he saw Mr Crouch, professor." She said feeling unsure. "He is in trouble!"

"He said it and you believed it, Miss Pearlstone?" Snape gave Harry a cold look, tearing his eyes away from Heroneka.

"Look," said Harry angrily, "Crouch isn't right - he's - he's out of his mind - he says he wants to warn -"

The stone wall behind Snape slid open. Dumbledore was standing there, wearing long green robes and a mildly curious expression. "Is there a problem?" he said, looking between Harry, Heroneka and Snape.

"Professor!" Harry said, sidestepping Snape before Snape could speak, "Mr Crouch is here - he's down in the forest, he wants to speak to you!"

Heroneka expected Dumbledore to ask questions, but he did what he had done in the Great Hall when they had informed him about Andrew's attack. He acted quickly!

"Lead the way," he said promptly, and he swept off along the corridor behind Harry, Heroneka trotting after them, leaving Snape standing next to the gargoyle and looking twice as ugly.

"What did Mr Crouch say, Harry?" said Dumbledore as they walked swiftly down the marble staircase.

"Said he wants to warn you...said he's done something terrible...he mentioned his son...and Bertha Jorkins...and - and Voldemort...something about Voldemort getting stronger...."

"Indeed," said Dumbledore, and he quickened his pace as they hurried out into the pitch-darkness. "Activate your shield, Heroneka, if you will. Stay next to me." He added.

Heroneka's protective shield flickered on. She was glad that Dumbledore hadn't asked her to go back to the Gryffindor Tower. She guessed he wanted to keep an eye on her, make sure that nobody abducted her.

"Did you see him, Heroneka?" Dumbledore asked her.

"No, professor." She said. "Harry saw him by the forest --"

"He's not acting normally," Harry said to her relief, hurrying along beside her and Dumbledore. "He doesn't seem to know where he is. He keeps talking like he thinks Percy Weasley's there, and then he changes and says he needs to see you...I left him with Viktor Krum."

Heroneka's heart thumped. Viktor was with Crouch? Why was Crouch behaving like a madman?

"You did?" said Dumbledore sharply, and he began to take longer strides still so that Harry and Heroneka were running to keep up. "Do you know if anybody else saw Mr Crouch?"

"No," said Harry. "Krum and I were talking, Mr Bagman had just finished telling us about the third task, Snitchy left with Cedric, Krum and I stayed behind, and then we saw Mr Crouch coming out of the forest -"

"Where are they?" said Dumbledore as the Beauxbatons carriage emerged from the darkness. He had now held Heroneka's arm in a firm grip as if worried that someone might snatch her away. But her shield was active and nothing that intended to harm her could even touch her.

"Over here," said Harry, moving in front of Dumbledore and Heroneka, leading the way through the trees.

Heroneka couldn't hear Viktor's or Crouch's voice, but she felt like Harry knew where he was going.

"Viktor?" Harry shouted.

No one answered. Heroneka shivered slightly. Dumbledore was looking around too, standing halfway through the bubble's wall, still holding on to her arm.

"They were here," Harry said to Dumbledore. "They were definitely somewhere around here...."

"Lumos," Dumbledore said, lighting his wand and holding it up.

Its narrow beam travelled from black trunk to black trunk, illuminating the ground. And then it fell upon a pair of feet.

Harry and Dumbledore hurried forward, Heroneka getting dragged after the Headmaster. Viktor was sprawled on the forest floor. He seemed to be unconscious. There was no sign at all of Mr Crouch.

"Viktor?" Heroneka knelt next to him, shaking his tough arm.

Dumbledore bent over Viktor and gently lifted one of his eyelids.

"Stunned," he said softly. His half-moon glasses glittered in the wand light as he peered around at the surrounding trees.

"We need to get him to the hospital wing, professor!" She said quickly.

Dumbledore gave her a look which told Heroneka that he knew she was concerned for Viktor, who happened to one of her army men. But Harry didn't know about the army Draco had been building. He gave her a questioning look.

"Should I go and get someone?" said Harry, looking up at Dumbledore. "Madam Pomfrey?"

"No," said Dumbledore swiftly. "Stay here."

He raised his wand into the air and pointed it in the direction of Hagrid's cabin. Heroneka saw something silvery dart out of it and streak away through the trees like a ghostly bird. Then Dumbledore bent over Viktor again, pointed his wand at him, and muttered, "Ennervate."

Viktor opened his eyes. He looked dazed. When he saw Dumbledore, he tried to sit up, but Dumbledore put a hand on his shoulder and made him lie still.

"Are you alright?" Heroneka asked him feeling concerned, which was being noticed by Harry.

"He attacked me!" Viktor muttered, putting a hand up to his head. "The old madman attacked me! I vos looking around to see vare Potter had gone and he attacked from behind!"

"Lie still for a moment," Dumbledore said.

"You're safe now," Heroneka assured him.

"Are you safe?" Viktor was tilting his head around them, trying to check the forest floor.

Heroneka wanted to alert him to remain silent. Harry was watching them closely, looking so confused. She knew Harry was wondering why Viktor was asking about her safety.

The sound of thunderous footfalls reached them, and Hagrid came panting into sight with Fang at his heels. He was carrying his crossbow.

"Professor Dumbledore!" he said, his eyes widening. "Harry - Snitchy - what the -?"

"Hagrid, I need you to fetch Professor Karkaroff," said Dumbledore. "His student has been attacked. When you've done that, kindly alert Professor Moody -"

"No need, Dumbledore," said a wheezy growl. "I'm here."

Moody was limping toward them, leaning on his staff, his wand lit.

"Damn leg," he said furiously. "Would've been here quicker...what's happened? Snape said something about Crouch -"

"Crouch?" said Hagrid blankly.

"Karkaroff, please, Hagrid!" said Dumbledore sharply.

"Oh yeah...right y'are, Professor..." said Hagrid, and he turned and disappeared into the dark trees, Fang trotting after him.

"I don't know where Barty Crouch is," Dumbledore told Moody, "but it is essential that we find him."

"I'm onto it," growled Moody, and he pulled out his wand and limped off into the forest.

"How do you feel?" Heroneka asked Viktor.

"Head is spinning." He said, remaining still.

None of them spoke again until they heard the unmistakable sounds of Hagrid and Fang returning. Karkaroff was hurrying along behind them. He was wearing his sleek silver furs, and he looked pale and agitated.

"What is this?" he cried when he saw Viktor on the ground and Dumbledore, Heroneka and Harry beside him. "What's going on?"

"I vos attacked!" said Viktor, sitting up now and rubbing his head. "Mr Crouch or votever his name -"

"Crouch attacked you? Crouch attacked you? The Triwizard judge?"

"Igor," Dumbledore began, but Karkaroff had drawn himself up, clutching his furs around him, looking livid.

"Treachery!" he bellowed, pointing at Dumbledore. "It is a plot! You and your Ministry of Magic have lured me here under false pretences, Dumbledore! This is not an equal competition! First you sneak Potter into the tournament, though he is underage! You even got the angelic witch as the wild card champion! Now one of your Ministry friends attempts to put my champion out of action! I smell double-dealing and corruption in this whole affair, and you, Dumbledore, you, with your talk of closer international wizarding links, of rebuilding old ties, of forgetting old differences - here's what I think of you!"

Karkaroff spat onto the ground at Dumbledore's feet. In one swift movement, Hagrid seized the front of Karkaroff's furs, lifted him into the air, and slammed him against a nearby tree.

"Apologize!" Hagrid snarled as Karkaroff gasped for breath, Hagrid's massive fist at his throat, his feet dangling in midair.

Heroneka shifted back, getting scared, but Viktor caught her.

"Hagrid, no!" Dumbledore shouted, his eyes flashing.

Hagrid removed the hand pinning Karkaroff to the tree, and Karkaroff slid all the way down the trunk and slumped in a huddle at its roots; a few twigs and leaves showered down upon his head.

"Kindly escort Harry and Heroneka back up to the castle, Hagrid," said Dumbledore sharply.

Breathing heavily, Hagrid gave Karkaroff a glowering look.

"Maybe I'd better stay here. Headmaster...."

"You will take Harry and Heroneka back to school, Hagrid," Dumbledore repeated firmly. "Take them right up to Gryffindor Tower. And Harry, Heroneka - I want you to stay there. Anything you might want to do - any owls you might want to send - they can wait until morning, do you understand me?"

"Er - yes," said Harry, staring at him.

"Sure," Heroneka wondered what Dumbledore was thinking.

Did he know that she was about to send an owl to Remus about everything that was happening? Andrew. Fay... Zagan... And now, Crouch.

"I'll leave Fang with yeh. Headmaster," Hagrid said, staring menacingly at Karkaroff, who was still sprawled at the foot of the tree, tangled in furs and tree roots. "Stay, Fang. C'mon, Harry, Snitchy."

Heroneka looked at Viktor, who urged her to go with Hagrid and Harry. However, Harry grabbed her arm stiffly, steering her away from Viktor, and along with Hagrid, they marched in silence past the Beauxbatons carriage and up toward the castle.

"How dare he," Hagrid growled as they strode past the lake. "How dare he accuse Dumbledore. Like Dumbledore'd do anythin' like that. Like Dumbledore wanted Harry in the tournament in the firs' place. Worried! I dunno when I seen Dumbledore more worried than he's bin lately. An' you both!" Hagrid suddenly said angrily to Harry and Heroneka, who looked up at him, taken aback. "What were yeh doin', wanderin' off with ruddy Krum? He's from Durmstrang! Coulda jinxed yeh right there, couldn he? Hasn' Moody taught yeh nothin'? 'Magine lettin him lure yeh off on yer own -"

"Krum's all right!" said Harry as they climbed the steps into the entrance hall.

"Yes," Heroneka said quickly. "He is really nice."

Harry eyed her, but then went on. "Hagrid, he wasn't trying to jinx me, he just wanted to talk about Hermione -"

"I'll be havin' a few words with her, an' all," said Hagrid grimly, stomping up the stairs. "The less you lot 'ave ter do with these foreigners, the happier yeh'll be. Yeh can trust any of 'em."

Heroneka and Harry exchanged a look of surprise.

"You were getting on all right with Madame Maxime," Harry said, annoyed.

"Don' you talk ter me abou' her!" said Hagrid, and he looked quite frightening for a moment. "I've got her number now! Tryin' ter get back in me good books, tryin' ter get me ter tell her what's comin in the third task. Ha! You can' trust any of'em!"

Hagrid was in such a bad mood, Heroneka and Harry were quite glad to say goodbye to him in front of the Fat Lady.

"Is Krum a friend of yours?" Harry asked Heroneka once Hagrid was gone. "Is that why he saved Malfoy during the second task?"

"He is nice, Harry." She told him quietly. "Viktor is friends with not just me, but Draco too. You have seen us at Hogsmeade too, haven't you?"

Harry nodded. "Just make sure that you are not heading in the wrong direction. I mean, we saw Fay... Didn't we?"

Heroneka knew what he was trying to tell her. He would never want to see her ending up in a trap like Fay. She nodded quietly.

They clambered through the portrait hole into the common room and Harry hurried straight for the corner where Ron and Hermione were sitting, to tell them what had happened. Heroneka, however, went upstairs to her dormitory to check on Fay.

To her surprise, Fay was smiling. This was after such a long time Heroneka had seen her smiling. Fay looked up at her and laughed.

"Come here, look at this!" She told Heroneka.

Heroneka, wondering what could have made Fay so happy after getting through hell, hurried over to Fay's bed.

"What is it?" Heroneka sat next to her.

Fay was holding a tiny photo album in her hands. The picture on the page was moving. She was staring at a picture of Blaise, Draco, Crabbe and Goyle, dressed up funny. They seemed drunk and were dancing, moving as the way girls would. Heroneka laughed watching them.

"Where did you get the album?" She asked Fay.

"Blaise gave this to me." She said brightly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

415K 10.8K 55
The Triwizard Tournament is finally revived after centuries, but this time, seven champions are called for the task. Although this sounds exciting to...
426 7 33
(Please drop a comment and ♥ the story if you like it. This encourages me to write better.) BOOK 4 (Love Is In The Air) OUT NOW THE SECRET RELATIONSH...
3.2K 136 18
COMPLETED First book in the love as trilogy. A Harry Potter fanfiction. 5th year (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix) Being thrown into the mi...
300K 8.1K 63
Anna Green's life was going just fine before he came along. Her friendship with the golden trio and Ginny Weasley was family-like. She loved having f...