The Tale of the Ice Princess

By light32378

Driven by revenge, Aria vows to change the country at a fundamental level. "With enough power, nothing is im... More

The Halcyon Days - Chapter I
The Halcyon Days - Chapter 2
The Halcyon Days - Chapter 3
The Halcyon Days - Chapter 4
The Halcyon Days - Chapter 5
The Halcyon Days - Chapter 6
The Halcyon Days - Chapter 7
The Halcyon Days - Chapter 8
The Halcyon Days - Chapter 9
The Halcyon Days - Chapter 10
Character List
The Halcyon Days - Chapter 11
Warning ( Must Read )
The Halcyon Days - Chapter 12
The Halcyon Days - Chapter 13
The Halcyon Days - Chapter 14
The Halcyon Days - Chapter 15
The Halcyon Days - Side Story
Part 2 - Prologue
Part 2 - Chapter 1
Part 2 - Chapter 2
Part 2 - Chapter 3
Part 2 - Chapter 4.2
Part 2 - Chapter 4.3
Part 2 - Chapter 5
Part 2 - Chapter 6
Part 2 - Chapter 7
Part 2 - Chapter 8

Part 2 - Chapter 4

35 4 4
By light32378

~a week later ~

"Lord Acconite has arrived . He is currently waiting in the parlor ." Lavina said , snapping me out of my focus . 

" Urghhh, i was soooo close. Lavina , is it fine to make him wait , just a while ? Please?" 

Shaking her head Lavina replied , "I'm sorry , that can't do. We both know that 'just a while' means a few hours . It's rude to make guests wait . Besides , it was Milady who invited him." 

It's kind of true .....

Whenever Lavina switched to a formal tone , i knew that i was not going to get away with anything . I tried , once , a few times , many times , and the result was the same , i lost . 

Heaving a sigh i got up from my chair , taking that particular stone with me . 

----------

 "Welcome Lord Aconite to my humble dwelling , it is my pleasure to welcome you . " i said , curtsying .

"I thank you , and do address me as Maximus , we are peers aren't we ? " He replied , getting up to bow. 

" Alright then, address me as Aria if you will " I said , sitting down on the parlor chair opposite from Maximus.

Addressing each other without any polite form of address meant that here , we were equals and acknowledged each other . However , this practice was for use only in private for obvious reasons . If we were to encounter each other in public we would need to address each other properly. 

I acknowledge that he has some potential and would be of good use to me......  Either way , formality is too hard , keeping it casual is better . 

Lavina quietly laid down the tea cups and snacks , moving to stand behind me . 

We talked about inconsequential topics for a while , before i directed the conservation to a more serious topic , in an attempt to test him . 

"So Maximus , what do you plan to study in The Academy ? " I asked . 

The Academy had a variety of courses besides the standard subjects all students are required to take , students could select additional subjects that corresponded to their future occupation . 

To illustrate, if a student wanted to become a Knight in the future , they needed to take the swordsmanship class , which is included in the Knights course .

" I was thinking about being a bureaucrat or scholar . What about you?" He replied , a noble's smile plastered on his face , masking his true emotion 

" I haven't given it much thought yet ..."

I have actually decided what to take, just that i could not share my options yet . 

" As winter draws closer , i fear that it would help accelerate the rampant spread of diseases in the capital . ...." I said , changing the subject to the latest outbreak of diseases in the Capital slums . 

"You may be right ." He said , a note of detachment in his voice . 

Sheltered noble brat, you don't even know how horrible it is. You don't know the reality . 

I took out a small box from my dress pocket , saying " Here , a gift. "

"Oh my , you shouldn't have . I thank you ." He said , accepting the gift . 

Just you wait . 

"Could you perhaps put it on? I would love to see how it looks ." I said , insistent .

"Oh sure thing . " He replied , placing the ring onto his left index finger.

Inside the gift box was a ring with a gold band and a beautiful blue stone set at it's center . 

"My , it compliments your eyes." I observed . 

Maximus had bright blond hair , paired with ocean blue eyes with hints of grey, which was both quite common. He was slightly taller than me , along with him being more muscular .

Once he placed it on , i broke out into small smile . 

"Max Reese." I stated . 

He froze, mid-sip . 

Lavina handed me the report her little sister wrote at my behest, I then proceeded to read off the main points .

" Max Reese , illegitimate child of Viscount Aconite , and son of Seraphina Reese . A commoner. Was reported missing 3 years ago, the same year Seraphina Reese succumbed to the White Plague. " I continued, casually sipping my tea.

"W-what does that have to do with me?" He said, slightly nervous .

He needs to hide his emotions better . I can feel even the most subtle changes in his mana flow

"Maximus Aconite , second son of House Aconite . Strong mana for a son of House Aconite, which has been on the decline. Ignored by Viscount Aconite , abhorred by the Viscountess, hated by the first son . 

Now tell me , why is that?"

He broke out in a cold sweat , his mana flow speeding up.

Got ya . 

"It's no use , don't bother hiding anything . I know all your secrets , Maximus or should i call you Max instead? 

Taken in by the Viscount to be made a pawn for marriage when your mother left for the garden above  . Forced to wear the twisted mask of the second son of House Aconite , to obediently serve the very man that did not save your mother no matter how much you begged . 

I know everything ." I read off dryly , like reading a to do list.

He snapped out his stupor , defeated , slumping against the couch . 

"What do you want ?" He said, emotionless . 

"Let's go on a field trip !" I said , brushing away his question .

"Oh and the ring you are wearing is a magic contract stone , if you ever say anything compromising it will activate , and trust me when i say that the consequences are not a happy one . " I added. 

"T-there's no such thing!" He said quickly standing up , fear evident in his eyes , his perfect mask falling right off.

" There is , i just invented it . Now be obedient and follow me." I said , getting up to leave the room. He followed me, on guard the whole time . 

"Give me time to change , i suggest you do so too. Where we're going frowns upon those with wealth . " I said , heading towards my room to get changed. 

I put on the very familiar by now blue and white outfit , my two favorite colors . The outfit was custom made by me using special thread that i infused with my mana, though in light colors , it would never dirty because the thin field of mana around it prevented dirt from touching it . 

The skirt stopped just short of my knees , the perfect length for the most mobility while not appearing crude . It boasted long sleeves for colder days , sleeves , which were not necessary as since i was an ice and water magic user , both did not affect . No matter how cold it was , i would never feel cold .  

It had a white bow tied around the waist , the bow showing on the side, with the outfit not overly decorated . The outfit was light steel blue , transitioning to white closer to the skirt helm . 

For the final touch , i wore the knee high leather boots along with the numerous accessories scattered around my body.

When i reached the entrance chamber , i saw Max dressed in a shirt simple pants.

I guess that will have to do

"Alright, ready?" 

Hearing my voice , he looked up . When he saw me , his ears turned red.

"I-is that really appropriate for a noble girl ? " He said , averting his eyes . 

I chose not to answer his question, silently boarding the carriage that was prepared, directing him to do the same . 

----------

Word count : 1356

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

759K 14.8K 31
Warning ⚠️ I wrote this book when I was 13, you have been warned I walked up to her and pushed her to my chest. "I think you should stop flirting wi...
1.7K 539 41
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Book three of the Princess Eleanora series. ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
739 41 26
After the quest in finding the Sapphire Sword, and eventually the sacrifice of Edmund Tudor, Arianne vowed to stay away from such dangerous quests ag...
450 57 20
In the Kingdom of Caldrath there are two neighboring counties: one ruled by fear and the other by compassion. A daughter born to the arrogant Count H...