Like no one does

By Raven0822

In an alternate timeline Tony Stark has a baby sister. Veronica Stark is 4 when their parents die in 1991. A... More

A quick note
December 16, 1991
Iron Man's sister
Unofficial Avenger
I need a favor
Buttercup to your Westley
Inside sources confirm
Paris
Bucky part two
Movie night
Going home
Truths and kept promises
Choices
Complications
You know this guy?
Unexpected confession
Options
There's just no trust anymore
Conversations in the dark
Baron Helmut Zemo
Welcome to Wakanda
A second opinion
This involves you too
Oh mon Dieu!
Half a chance
It's a surprise
Blindsided
Anvil

Bucky

1.1K 47 33
By Raven0822

Bucky's POV four days later

Flicking his eyes over to the man he knows is supposed to be his best friend Bucky quickly averted his gaze when he saw that he was staring at him. It had been four days since he'd been found. Four days of wanting to run, but not actually doing it. The habit of the last two years had his muscles clenching in anticipation of a getaway every second, but he wasn't going to run anymore. At least not right now. Steve had shown up to his apartment in Bucharest begging him to stay and listen. That all he wanted to do was help him.

Shifting in his seat Bucky adjusted his tight hold on his backpack. Mentally making a list of everything that was inside to calm himself down. His notebooks for when he remembers things, two hundred and thirty seven dollars and sixty-two cents, his false identity papers, a change of clothes, a toiletry bag, his Gerber Mark ii tactical knife, his Glock 17 and several clips of ammunition. Repeating the list over and over as he looked out the window of the small private plane. When that stopped working he started to count his breaths.

"Buck, are you alright?" Steve's quietly deep voice pulled him out of his head.

Glancing over he sees the ever present concern for him on his face. His blue eyes searching his grey blue ones looking, hoping for him to remember everything from before, but he didn't. Buck's memories of his time with Hydra were clearer than those of his childhood. He wasn't okay, he was far from it. His mind was still swiss cheese and he was dangerous to everyone around him. Hell, he'd almost successfully killed the man across from him two years ago and would have attacked again just days ago.

He nodded once before looking back out the window. Steve's dejected sigh put him even more on edge. Bucky wanted to remember him more than anything. After seeing that exhibit at that museum he had tried for months to try and remember. There were fragments of memories, images of the man across from him when he was much smaller. He knew Steve hadn't always been the large man he now was. He'd once been small and frail, always sick with some ailment or having his asthma getting out of control.

A small smile crept across his face at the memory of him having to practically hold him down in bed because he was sick. Steve had been stubborn telling Buck that he was fine to go to work as he hacked out a cough. It was only after threatening to sit on him did Steve agree to stay in bed, falling asleep not long after anyway. The memory made him softly chuckle catching Steve's attention. Clearing his throat he sat up straighter still avoiding his gaze. Before Steve could ask what was funny the pilot's voice came over the intercom telling them they were about to land.

Buckling up they prepared themselves for the landing. It was much smoother than the cargo jets or the other crappy planes he'd been on over the years in service to Hydra. Once the plane evened out and came to a stop he took his time to unbuckle as Steve thanked the pilot. Standing up he followed him out and down the stairs to the tarmac to see a sleek town car waiting for them.

"Come on Buck. It's going to be alright. The sooner we get out of here the better." He calls back over his shoulder as they make their way down the stairs of the borrowed plane. Bucky pulled his hat lower over his face as he adjusted his grip on his backpack following Steve over to the waiting car. His eyes darting around looking for any signs of danger. Watching as Steve greeted the older gentleman in french with a warm smile and a handshake.

When the man glanced over at him Steve's eyes followed. Smiling he waved him over to introduc him to the man. "Buck, this is Christian. He's my friend's driver. He's gonna take us to her apartment where we'll lay low for a couple of days before heading back to New York." Not saying anything to either of them he just nodded.

"Bonjour monsieur Barnes, c'est très agréable de vous rencontrer. (Hello mister Barnes', it's very nice to meet you.) The man, Christian, stepped forward making Bucky take a defensive step back. Stopping, he held his hands up. "Puis-je prendre votre sac?" (Can I take your bag)

Shifting the strap higher up on his shoulder he shook his head no. Christian dipped his head with a smile to show no hard feelings. He opened the door for them, ushering them inside. Sliding in he set his bag on his lap and waited for Steve and the man to start talking before getting lost in thought. As Bucky watches as the city go by he thinks back to their last conversation that convinced him to come with Steve.

They'd just finished dinner when Steve had told him that with his friend Ronnie's help they were trying to clear his name. He had shaken his head no. "I'm guilty Steve. I killed those people, there's no excusing that." They'd talked round and round in circles about what he did and didn't deserve.

In the end he'd agreed to go home, but what Steve didn't know was that it was to stand up and take accountability for his actions. Bucky was tired of running and looking over his shoulder for someone to capture or kill him. He was tired of being afraid every waking moment. After seventy years of being afraid. Of being used for other people's agendas he was done. He would take back what little control he had left and turn himself in.

Thinking that he'd convinced him Steve had been happy and excused himself to make a call in the relative privacy of the small bathroom. With his enhanced hearing he'd overheard Steve's side of the conversation with this Ronnie person making the arrangements for them to go to France. They'd talked for a few minutes about how Steve was handling seeing him again. For the first time since Steve got here he'd heard how hard this really was for him. To be the one to remember it all while Bucky was still in the dark.

A memory from after his rescue the first time surfaced. He remembered how the roles had been reversed between them after Steve had saved him and the rest of the 107th from Hydra. He'd gone from the protective big brother to the one needing to be saved. He was still needing to be saved all these years later. Steve had come out of the bathroom telling Bucky to pack his bags. That they'd be heading out in an hour.

It didn't take long because he didn't have much. Once they were ready to go they left his little apartment and Romania behind. He would miss his apartment, it had been his safe haven for the last 6 months. Less than 5 hours later they were in France on their way to a strangers house. Someone he was supposed to trust on the word of a man he barely remembered.

Blinking back into the present he finally noticed his surroundings. When Steve had told him that he had a friend who was willing to help them he wasn't expecting a private plane and expensive town cars. He definitely wasn't expecting to be driving into one of the nicest districts of Paris, but it shouldn't really surprise him based on everything else so far. Looking over at Steve as they got out of the car Bucky wondered who exactly this Ronnie was and what she did for a living that she could afford a penthouse in Paris' 16th district in Jardin du Ranelagh.

Steve thanked Christian before leading Bucky into the building past the doorman giving him a kind hello as he ushered him into the elevator. Pressing the button for the penthouse on the top floor he pulled out his cellphone and texted someone. A moment later his phone dinged making him smile and laugh a little. Looking up to see Bucky staring at him he explained, "Ronnie isn't home right now, but she said to make yourself at home."

The elevator stopped and the doors opened revealing a marble and cream painted hallway with only one door. As Steve took out a set of keys to unlock the door Bucky glanced out the window to see the Eiffel tower just a few miles away. Catching his attention Steve motions for him to come inside. He gave Buck a quick tour of the penthouse showing him the basics of where everything was and explaining the layout. There were six bedrooms, 9 bathrooms, a study, a formal living room, a smaller living/TV room, kitchen, a full dining room and a private terrace that went out to a garden on the roof where there was an even better view of the Eiffel Tower.

This woman appreciated the historic building's charm. Besides the updated bathrooms and kitchen everything looked as original as she could have left it. Everything in this penthouse screamed extreme wealth, but at the same time it was simple and elegant. Each of the main rooms were tastefully done in pale greens and gold or cream and white. The living room or TV room as Steve called it was a warm room that said come sit in here and relax. It was all comfortable couches that invited you to lay on for lazy days watching movies or reading one of the many books on the arched shelves.

The kitchen was all white with dark wooden floors. The only other colors were from the gold accents of the faucets and lights, the soft toned rose gold marble countertops and sleek chrome appliances. To bring some life to the room there were blue and white vases filled with pink  flowers. These must be this woman's favorite flower because there were vases filled with them all throughout the penthouse. The delicately soft floral scent permeated the rooms making him unconsciously relax.

In contrast the dining room was done in pale blue and white. The only other color was the painting done in shades of pink and the large black dining room table. He was a little surprised to see white flowers in here. He recognized the lilies and roses among the flower she liked.

Finally Steve led him to the bedroom he'd been given. It was done in a similar green to the living room, but just a shade lighter. There were several windows giving the room a ton of light, but they were much smaller than the ones in the other rooms. It made Bucky relax a bit more knowing that while he was sleeping he wouldn't have to worry about being so exposed. The heavy fabric of the curtains would block out the light so that it would feel like a cozy den.

His whole apartment back in Romania could fit inside this room and that wasn't including the full bathroom that was attached. He didn't know what he would do with the huge bed and all of the pillows. He'd spent most of his life in a cryo tube or in a small dank cement cell with a cot. He set his backpack on one of the small grey stools so as to not dirty the bedding.

"I'll leave you to get cleaned up and rest. Do you have anything clean to wear or do you need some clothes?" Steve asked from the doorway watching him walk around the room taking it all in.

"I've got a change of clothes." He told him nodding at his bag. Neither man knew what else to say so Steve left him to do the same.

Bucky grabbed his bag as he headed into the bathroom. He knew he could trust Steve, but he felt better knowing that all of his worldly possessions would be in the same room as him. Buck was nervous to let his guard down, but that was to be expected; he'd been on the run for two years after Hydra fell. He'd been hiding not only from Steve and what was left of Shield and the US government; but from what was left of Hydra and the rest of the world.

After locking the door Bucky secured it so that if anyone tried to sneak in while he was vulnerable he'd be alerted. He quickly kicked off his boots and stripped out of his clothes after he figured out how to work the shower. Bucky was surprised that the shower was fully stocked with everything he needed making it so he didn't need his toiletry kit. After washing his hair and body he spent more time in the shower than he had intended. She had amazing water pressure and what seemed like an endless supply of hot water. Letting the water beat down his tired body until he felt like a prune before shutting off the water.

Drying off with what had to be the fluffiest, softest towel he'd ever used in his life Bucky wrapped it around his waist. Staring at his tired reflection as he brushed his teeth and combed his hair he wondered why Steve planned on them being here for longer than a night. Pulling out his spare set of clothes he got dressed and put his boots back on. Not sure what to do with his dirty clothes he neatly folded them and left them on the counter. Maybe she had a wash machine he could use. Making sure to not leave a mess he hung up his towel to dry and took his bag with him back out into the bedroom.

Old habits and to be on the safe side he wandered around the room checking for cameras and hidden microphones. If there was anything in there it would just look like he was checking out the decorations of the room. Not finding anything in the usual spots he opened up what looked to be a small but bulky briefcase on the dresser. Stopping his search as he saw it was a record player. Next to it was a handwritten note with his name on it.

Bucky,

I know this isn't one that you'd be used to, but it's the easiest I could find on short notice. In the drawer to the left is a small collection of records. If you don't like any of these or you would like some more you can go into my office. Steve can show you where my record collection is kept.

- Veronica

Bucky opened the drawer and sure enough there were records of musicians he vaguely remembered the names of. Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra and Glenn Miller. Carefully pulling out the record called The Duke Vol 2 he set it up on the turntable. Gently he brought the stylus over and placed it down. The familiar crackle sounds gave way to smooth jazz. Bucky stood there and felt like he was being transported back to the dance hall on a Friday night. All that was missing was a beautiful woman in his arms and his old happy go lucky self.

So engrossed in the music he didn't hear Steve knock on the door. "Ronnie really does think of everything." Spinning around he see's Steve leaning against the door frame with his arms crossed. The small smile on his face is exchanged for a look of concern and worry. "Sorry, didn't mean to startle you."

Avoiding his gaze, Bucky shrugged. "It's fine." He would have to get used to being around people again. Get used to people being in his space, not because they wanted to use him or hurt him, but because they wanted to be sociable.

"I have to remember you are still getting used to all of this." He says gesturing around the bedroom. Pushing off the doorframe Steve stood up straight and slowly walked into the room to sit on one of the stools at the foot of the bed.

Not knowing what to do or where to go he just stood by the record player. "I learned pretty quickly to use Google for things I don't know. I've also watched a lot of YouTube."

He gave him an amused half smirk of a smile. "I meant people, but that's good to know. I did the same when I came out of the ice. It's a good way to catch up quickly, but I learned to be cautious of what I clicked on." He grimaces at a memory from something probably embarrassing.

The sight of a red-faced Steve makes him laugh a little. That was something he knew was familiar. The longer he was with him it was starting to bring things back to him. "Yeah, I learned that the hard way myself." The tension in the room starts to go away a little much to Bucky's relief.

Clearing his throat Steve offers to make them some food. "I don't know if you remember or not, but I can't really cook all that well. Ronnie does though and is used to making enough to feed me so there should be plenty of leftovers."

Nodding, Bucky turns off the record player and follows Steve out into the long hallway that led back to the front of the penthouse. Sitting at the counter he watches Steve pull out a large clear container of food before going to a cupboard to grab out two plates and silverware. "You're in for a treat, she made lasagna. Ron doesn't make this very often because she's so busy, but it's delicious."

Dishing up the food he wets a paper towel to place over it. Popping the first plate into the microwave he starts it, before he tosses several pieces of garlic bread into a toaster oven to warm up. Pulling out the plate from the microwave Steve hands him the plate and a fork. Repeating the process to warm up his food. Bucky waits until Steve's food is done and he's seated before eating. It felt rude to eat before he did. Part way through the meal Steve turns on some music to softly play in the background.

When he looked at Steve he shrugged and went back to his food saying he liked to listen to it while he ate. Bucky knew it was really to fill the silence. The few fragments of his memories of a much younger Steve he has he remembers that it was him who would bug Steve with music when the smaller man just wanted quiet. Bucky was appreciative either way because he was still having a hard time thinking of what to say to him. After lunch he helped Steve to clean the kitchen leaving it the way they'd found it.

Steve showed him to what he said was her office, it looked more like a small library. "Ronnie's got an amazing book collection. Go ahead and look around. She won't mind if you borrow a few." Leaving him to explore while he went to make a phone call.

This room was just as bright and airy as all of the other rooms, but she must spend a lot more time in this one. He observed it was a little more homey and lived in looking than the living room Steve showed him earlier. The large windows let in plenty of light to read while the warm toned wood and the comfy couches invited you to sit and curl up with a good book. There was a desk set up in front of a set of window that looked out onto the rooftop garden of the neighboring building. He noted there wasn't a computer in here, but he assumed she had a laptop that she probably took with her.

Perusing the built-in floor to ceiling bookshelves Bucky read the titles along one long wall. Steve was right; she had an impressive collection of new and classics all in a wide range of genres. Everything from sappy romances, to fiction, to do it yourself books. He stops at a familiar title, pulling it down he runs the fingers of his right hand over the gold lettering. A smile tugs at his lips when he opens it to the first page and reads the opening lines.

In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit hole, and that means comfort.

Getting caught up in the story he walked over to the leather chair in the center of the room. Sitting down Bucky lets himself get lost in the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and the dwarves of Erebor. Twenty or so minutes later he heard the sound of the elevator announcing that someone was about to come through the front door. Setting the book down on the glass coffee table he quickly and silently made his way to the door.

Not seeing Steve he didn't know what to do. It could be Steve's friend or it could be Hydra, SHIELD or someone else sent to capture the Winter Soldier. As the door opened he had seconds to think about what he needed to do.

+++

Ronnie's POV

When Steve had texted her that Bucky was ready to come with him she had immediately called Dean to ready the jet for them. She'd then gone shopping for basic things that Bucky would need like shampoo, conditioner, soap and other toiletries and more groceries. If his appetite was anything like Steve's she definitely needed to stock up the kitchen. Around the time he had sent her a text to tell her they had landed she had told him that she would head out. Ronnie wanted to give him time to get Bucky settled without worrying about a new person as well as a new strange place right away. It also gave her the opportunity to have a long lunch with Jackie to catch up.

It was during the ride up in the elevator that she started to get nervous. Steve had told her that Bucky still had a lot of gaps in his memories and that he wasn't necessarily hostile, more like he was on guard. She didn't want to do anything to set him off or trigger him. If she was being honest she had started questioning her being here. Was it a smart thing to do? Probably not, but Steve was her best friend and she promised she would be here every step of the way.

Arriving at her floor lost in thought she pulled out her keys to unlock the door on autopilot. Just as she had gone to step inside a hand banded around her extended wrist and yanked her inside making her drop her purse and keys in her surprise. The man spun her around so that her back was pressed against his very firm chest. Letting out a completely undignified yelp she grasped the arm around her chest with her free hand while being very aware of the other arm around her hips. "Stevie?"

"Not Stevie." Said the quiet, smooth as velvet voice from behind her. Ronnie couldn't help her body stiffening ready to attack the man who held her firmly to his body.

Forcing herself to relax a little she asked with absolutely no sarcastic comments, "What's your name then not Stevie?" Ronnie could feel him take a deep breath against her back. She shivered a little as he let it out unintentionally against the side of her neck. Well, she hoped it was unintentional.

Ronnie could feel his soft lips move against the shell of her ear as he spoke. "Bucky."

A man of few words, got it. This was so not how she wanted to meet him. In her obsessive thoughts about not startling him she'd done just that. Relaxing her body completely to let him know she meant him no harm, she introduced herself. "Veronica, but my friends call me Ronnie."

The rapid footsteps and concerned voice of their mutual friend caught their attention. "Bucky, what.. Ronnie what's going on?"

Looking over at him she held up her free hand to let him know she was fine. "It's okay Steve. I startled him when I unlocked the door without announcing myself. I'm fine. I should have called or texted that I was on my way back."

With his arms still wrapped around her body he apologizes. "Sorry, old habits."

Tilting her head to the side she couldn't see more than the right side of his scruffy jaw. "I'm the one who's sorry. I'm a stranger and startled you. I'll make sure to announce myself in the future to give you a heads up.

Bucky seemed to realize at the same time as she did that he was still holding her firmly against him. He quickly let's her go as if she burned him and steps back. Letting out a relieved breath she turned to see the man of the hour. Said breath got caught in her throat at the intensity in those stormy grey blue eyes. Pictures did not do this man justice. His long hair could stand a trim and he needed a shave, but James Barnes was an extremely handsome man.

"Well, that was intense." She said with a laugh trying to defuse the tension in the room. Bucky grimaces at the reminder of his over reaction while Steve looks from her to his friend and back.

Leaning down she picked up her purse and keys before closing the front door. Bucky was now avoiding looking at her. Not taking it personally Ronnie turned her attention the other man in the room with a wide grin. "Hey Westley, miss me?"

"You have no idea, Buttercup." He chuckles and holds out his arms for her to hop up into his arms to give him her customary koala hug after he's been gone for a while.

She squeezes a little tighter and whispers into his neck, "I missed you too." Steve sets her back down on her feet, keeping his arms around her for a little longer than necessary before letting her go. "I gotta call my brother, but I'll find you guys when I'm done." Leaning up to kiss his cheek she pats his chest before heading towards her office. She gives Bucky a small smile on her way past him when she catches his eye. 

Feeling two pairs of eyes on her back the whole way as she walks to her office. She closes the door behind her and walks over to the couch. Ronnie let's out a breath and pulls out her phone. Bringing up Tony's contact she pressed the call button and holds the phone up to her ear. The ever annoying voice of her big brother answers after three rings. "Hey, Mini so glad you could pull yourself away from grandpa Rogers."

"Believe me it was a tough thing to do cause I was really enjoying that old timey lovin'." She knew if she grossed him out enough he'd move on.

"Okay, yeah I'm sufficiently disturbed. Changing the subject. When are you two coming home? The mods on your suit are done and I want you to test it out."

"I don't know, a couple more days at least. I'll shoot you a text when we're headed home." Settling back onto the couch Ronnie kicked off her heels and tucked her legs underneath her. Her eyes wander around the room and note that a book was out of place.

Sitting on the coffee table was her copy of The Hobbit. Leaning forward to oick it up she glanced briefly at the door realizing Bucky must have been reading it since Steve had exited the hallway that led to the bedrooms. Setting it down on her lap she went back to listening to her brother complain about how nothing ran the right way at the Compound without her.

"It's nice to know I'm only missed for my efficiency at running the Avengers and Stark Industries." She snarked at him.

"Oh, come on Mini. Don't be like that, you know I miss you for you. It's just you do make my life easier. I've had to actually go to two board meetings. I haven't gone to a board meeting in almost three months!"

Letting out snort she rolled her eyes. "Poor baby. I'm so sorry you had to put on your big boy pants and actually work for once."

Playing catch up with Tony was never boring. It could be a little tedious when she had to redirect him back to the original point he was making, but she wouldn't trade this time with him for anything. As always at the end of the call Tony had her write down the things he wanted from Paris that he couldn't get in the US. Saying goodbye and reassuring him they would be home soon she hung up.

Shaking her head Ronnie stood up and stepped back into her heels. She loved her brother, but the man was a giant man child sometimes. Taking the book with her she figured she would bring it to Bucky to continue reading. Leaving her office she went to find the super soldiers and hopefully it would be less exciting than their introduction.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.7K 2.3K 13
Growing up, Odin would always find an excuse to call Loki a failure. Frigga wasn't okay with this by any means, but she didn't give it too much thoug...
552 40 6
-Mature content-Alternative timeline- When Steve Rogers returned the infinity stones to their rightful timelines, he stayed back in the past and had...
1.2K 103 16
When Loki, is turned in to a child by odin. thor, asks if tony, would take care of Loki. Tony, adopts loki, and starts to Love Loki as a son. will L...
4.4K 168 21
When Loki, is turned in to a child by odin. thor, asks if tony, would take care of Loki. Tony, adopts loki, and starts to Love Loki as a son. will L...