swim || remus lupin

By sh2714

the one where the American meets the Marauders & the rest is water under the bridge oc x remus lupin top ran... More

A/N
a new wave
the undertow
tidal wave
up for fresh air
sea foam
her buoy
secrets of the lake
driftwood pt1
driftwood pt2
the calm
seaweed
poolside
whirlpool
on the horizon
runoff streams
on the reef
dew drops
puddles
sounds of rain
truth ripples
down the drain
waterproof evening
still waters
sand bank
break the surface
off the deep end
sirius
peter
marlene
alice
lily
james
remus
come home
begin again
fix you
over my head (cable car)
she will be loved
keep on lying
in luv with u
babydoll
song for a winter's night
yellow
dissolve
sunflower vol 6
what a feeling
electric love
all of me
around the world
holy ground
i hear a symphony
sunflower feelings
fireproof
dandelions
two princes
everybody talks
music to walk home by
it's a beautiful day
lucky
jump then fall
if we have each other
la da dee
8teen
today was a fairytale
what i've done
over again
just a girl
starlight
two of us
eleanor rigby
hold me while you wait
all eyes on me
already gone
to build a home
animal i have become
breezeblocks
make it to me
in my veins
the funeral
sweet creature
paper rings
look after you
this side of paradise
look who's inside again
fences
if i don't go to hell
we are the champions
champagne problems
waves
what a time
how to save a life
moral of the story
if i could fly
lover
you found me
rolling in the deep
till forever falls apart
A/N

speechless

4.2K 174 383
By sh2714

When Frank proposed to Alice in the beginning of March, a May wedding seemed so far away.

But then, in a whir of birthdays and work shifts and baby preparations and house closings, I found myself seated around our kitchen counter with the girls as our second Wedding-Breakfast-Cake baked in the oven.

The boys had been sent off to Frank's for the evening, leaving us alone in our flat.

"When was the last time we had a sleepover?" Dorcas asked, dumping a fresh bag of microwavable popcorn into a bowl and turning to put in a new one.

"Too long ago," Lily said from the living room. She had her bowl resting on top of her ever growing stomach as she flipped through channels.

"It was when Sirius bought that Muggle karaoke machine," Marlene answered. "You lot came to hide at Dorcas's for three days."

"Merlin, I forgot about that," I laughed. "They were terrible."

"Syd, you were right up there with them," said Alice.

"Was I?" I asked with mock obliviousness. "I don't recall."

The microwave went off and Dorcas pulled out the last bag, pouring the popcorn into a bowl for herself as she and I walked over to join our friends in the living room.

"Why don't you pick something, Al," Lily huffed, growing tired of channel surfing and forcing herself upwards to hand off the remote. "It's your special day, after all."

"Are you excited?" Dorcas asked, flopping down beside Marlene and I and lifting up her bowl so Marls could toss her legs into Dorcas's lap.

"Yeah," Alice answered with a shy smile. "And a bit nervous."

"I was nervous too," Lily nodded. "But once you're up there it's all about you and him, everything else just kinda fades away."

"And it's Frank," Marlene said. "You two are perfect for each other."

We all turned to gape at the blonde, who had had a large sore where Frank was concerned ever since he kissed another girl in fifth year while dating Alice.

"Oh, don't look at me like that," she groaned, throwing her popcorn at all of us. "I like Frank!"

"Really?" Alice asked doubtfully.

"Yes! He's actually kinda funny when you sit close enough to hear the remarks he makes under his breath."

I laughed as I thought back to Easter when Frank had said "I'm fucking Jewish" in response to James's overzealous schedule.

"Plus he's a total badass," said Dorcas. "You two are literally the most well respected Aurors of our age."

"Not even just our age," Lily interjected. "You're high up by any standards."

"Who would've thought," Alice said with a quiet smile and a loud blush.

"Don't do that," I said. "You're selling yourself short. We all could've seen this coming."

"Especially after April Fool's Day," Lily noted.

We erupted in laughter.

"SIRIUS'S HAIR! I NEARLY FORGOT!"

"MR. CLEANNN!"

"I felt so bad!"

"You are still a god for that."

"I'd literally marry you if your wedding wasn't tomorrow."

Our large laughs faded into giggles before Alice sighed,

"I can't believe my wedding is tomorrow."

"And then we have kids," Lily responded, running her hands over the bump on her stomach.

"Godric, and then we have kids."

"I'm glad that we don't have any kids," Dorcas whispered to me. I nodded eagerly.

"I, for one," declared Marlene, opening a bottle of champagne and pouring a glass which she passed to me before picking up a second for Dorcas. "Am excited to be an aunt."

"Me too," I said. "Remus and I are so ready to babysit."

"Wait what?" Marlene said, lifting the bottle back out of Dorcas's glass. "I thought you said you didn't want friends to babysit because it would confuse the kid."

Alice and Lily fell silent and looked between each other.

"Thanks, Syd," Lily muttered.

"YOU'RE LETTING THEM WATCH YOUR LOVE SPAWN?!"

"Well only because-"

"Dorcas, can you believe this?!?"

"Actually Marls-"

"YOU'RE LETTING MY GIRLFRIEND WATCH YOUR LOVE SPAWN BUT NOT ME?!"

"WELL SHE DOESN'T CALL THEM 'LOVE SPAWN' LIKE A TOTAL WEIRDO!" Retorted Alice.

"AND SHE DOESN'T DROP EVERY BREAKABLE ITEM SHE HOLDS!" Added Lily.

"You also offered weed to James's friend's son at their wedding."

"YOU WHAT?!"

"SYD, YOU SNITCH!"

"WHICH ONE?!"

"THE OLDER ONE!"

"THEY'RE FOUR AND SEVEN WHAT DO YOU MEAN 'THE OLDER ONE'?!"

"HE SEEMED A LITTLE STRESSED!"

"Well that's because he's in love with Lily," I said.

"What?!"

"My God, you people don't know anything!"

"Freddie is in love with me?!"

"It's probably because he spent so much time with James," Dorcas said, chewing on her popcorn amusedly.

"He's not in love with me," Lily decided.

"Yes he is," I said. "He told me."

"What do you mean he told you?" Marlene cried. "I sat with that bastard for 15 minutes and he didn't say one word!"

"Did you ask him?" I said. Marlene's open mouth shut and pressed into a very thoughtful expression.

"Well, no."

"Exactly," I said. "See when you talk to children rather than offering them drugs, they often open up."

"That's why she's allowed to babysit," Alice noted from her end of the couch.

Marlene threw her arms over her chest angrily and glared at the four of our grinning faces. And then there was a knock at the door and her anger dropped immediately.

"PIZZA!" She cheered, throwing her legs off of Dorcas and running to the door, picking up Lily's wallet on the way.

"Where did you get pizza from?" I asked. "It's like two in the morning."

"Marlene has her ways," Dorcas said, shaking her head and putting her hands up helplessly.

Marlene came back into the living room carrying three large pizza boxes as well as a stack of glass plates.

"You see this?" She said. "Responsible."

When she tried to set the tall pile down, however, the plates slid off the top and shattered on the floor. Marlene stared blankly at the mess before inhaling and looking over the rest of us.

"Well, that was a bad example," she shrugged.

She bent down to pick up the shards with her hands and Dorcas and I instantly jumped to our feet.

"Stop!" Dorcas cried. "You moron, you can't just pick it up."

"I'll grab the broom," I laughed, walking over to the cupboard.

What am I gonna do with these idiots?

"Syd," said Dorcas. "We're witches."

"Oh," I laughed. "Right. I knew that."

Dorcas used her wand to clean up Marlene's mess before we each settled in with pizza (one of the boxes was strictly for Marlene, so Alice, Lily, Dorcas, and I shared the other two). We put on a movie that was long since forgotten by the time we fell asleep sprawled across the L-shaped couch.

The following morning we were jerked awake by the boys, minus Frank, blowing through the door with far too much energy for seven o'clock.

"Good morning everyone!" Cheered James, his arms thrown to the side.

"Blessed day to all!" Sirius chimed, slipping under James arm and throwing out his own.

"It's wedding time!" Remus sang.

"That means cake!" Exclaimed Peter.

"CAKE!" They cried together, before beginning to chant: "CAKE! CAKE! CAKE!" as they filed away up the stairs with their fists pumping in the air.

"They are the sole reason why I am a lesbian," said Marlene through the pillow she had shoved over her face.

"Preach," nodded Dorcas.

"Why are they even here?" Lily asked, sitting up and rubbing her eyes. "I thought they'd just get ready at Frank's."

"We forgot our things!" James's voice called from upstairs. "And that was mean, Mackie!"

"Fuck you, Potter!" Marlene shouted back.

I shook my head and hoisted myself off the couch, brushing off any popcorn crumbs and then turning to help up Lily and Alice.

"Want some cake?" I asked, pulling out the pastry and a few plates.

"BREAKFAST CAKE!" Peter yelled. There was a large scramble of doors and footsteps and then the chain of boys appeared in single file, marching back down the stairs with their suits in hand.

"CAKE! CAKE! CAKE! CAKE!"

I rolled my eyes and handed off the first plate to a grinning Remus, who kissed me quickly on the cheek and continued leading his march. The rest of the boys followed suit, accepting their plate of cake and kissing me sloppily on the cheek before stamping back out the door.

"Idiots," Marlene muttered, dropping tiredly into a seat and taking the next piece of cake.

We each had a piece and talked lightly as our sleep faded away before we resolved to grab our things and head off to the wedding venue: a cute little park where Alice and Frank often went on dates.

Marlene, Dorcas, Lily, and I slipped into silk, pale pink dresses and I used a charm to pull my hair into loose curls that fell carefully down my back. We were each given a hair pin with little white flowers on it and I used mine to pin half of my hair in the back.

Alice stepped out in a beautiful white gown that fit loosely down her small frame before trailing away in a tail of white fabric. She wore a white lace headband that tucked into the braided crown that Lily crafted together for her.

She looked beautiful, and so, so happy.

The door to the tent we were occupying slipped open and Remus stepped in wearing the same grey suit from James's wedding, now with a pink tie and a set of white flowers sticking up from his jacket pocket. He had his hand over his eyes and a small smile.

"Um, is Syd in here?" He asked.

"You can drop your hand, Remus," Alice giggled. "Everyone is dressed."

Remus's hand fell away and his eyes dropped on Alice.

"Wow, Al," he said with a bright smile. "You look great!"

"Thank you," she said.

"Do a spin!" Marlene called from the vanity where she and Dorcas were applying their makeup. Alice smiled and she twirled around once.

"Truly magnificent," Remus said dramatically, wiping fake tears away from his eyes. Alice curtseyed and then Remus looked over to me.

His eyes washed over me quickly before locking with my own, pouring through me with his soft smile. He reached out a hand and said,

"Can I borrow you a moment?"

I turned to Alice and she nodded, busying herself with her mother and her mother's friend, both of whom I knew her to be very close with. I smiled and accepted Remus's hand, following him back out to the park.

We walked for a moment, the warm sun soaking through us and carrying along a soft breeze with the scent of grass and the sound of birds.

"What's up?" I asked when he turned to face me by a large oak tree.

"I dunno," he shrugged, his eyes still streaming through me. "I just missed you."

I laughed and Remus's smile widened.

"Oh," I said. "Well that's a good reason."

Remus leaned down and kissed my cheek.

"Are you going to dance with me tonight?" He asked.

"What will I gain?" I replied. Remus laughed a little and then looked off thoughtfully.

"I suppose nothing," he said. "But you'd be contributing to a very worthy cause."

"Yeah?" I asked. "And which cause would that be?"

"The Remus Lupin Organization," he answered professionally. "It's very beneficial. Helps the children."

"Oh, I see," I nodded. "Well, if it's for the children."

Remus nodded with me until we were both cracking smiles. He leaned down again and his lips met mine and I sank into him, losing myself entirely for only a moment.

"I'll see you for our dance then," he said when he pulled away.

"Yeah," I said, not moving from my spot. "See you."

Remus smiled and began to back up, leaving our hands connected until he was too far to hold on.

"You look beautiful, by the way," he said as he continued to walk backwards. I swear to God my heart exploded.

"You're pretty handsome yourself, Remmy J," I replied. Remus laughed.

"I love you," he said. 

"I know."

And with that he spun around and walked back to the large white tent where the boys were. I watched him go a minute until I saw him slip under the tarp and then I turned around and headed back towards Alice's tent.

The next time I saw Remus we were lined up on opposite ends of the altar again. When I slipped my gaze away from the bride and groom, I found that Remus was already watching me, his lips curled slightly into a smile that grew when we made eye contact.

"You're pretty," he mouthed. I smiled and then forced my face into an expression of false anger. 

"Shh," I scolded silently, nodding towards Frank and Alice as if to tell him to pay attention.

Remus's gaze flickered over to the pair briefly but when I turned again his eyes were back on me with his head cocked to the side.

"I love you," he said when he had my attention. I shook my head.

"I know," I mouthed back.

Remus straightened up with his eyebrows raised expectantly. I grinned.

"I love you," I said. Remus smiled and his head tipped back to the side.

"I know."

Remus and I met back up immediately after the ceremony was finished and we walked together to the part of the park where there were banquet tables, a DJ stand, and a rollout wooden dance floor.

We sat ourselves at one of the white tables with our friends and grabbed plates of food while the other guests ate and had their time with Frank and Alice, who had their own little table towards the front.

The sun was beginning to fall behind the trees, and so we lit the candles in the center of the table and strips of fairy lights were flipped on all around the scene.

"Dare me to shotgun this?" James asked quietly from my left, holding a small vile of a questionable liquid.

"What is it?" I asked in a normal voice.

"Shh! Lily might hear you," he chastised, looking fearfully over his shoulder at the redhead who was most definitely choosing to ignore her husband's antics. "It's a James Potter original mixture. Made of-"

"Let me stop you right there," I said, holding out a hand. "Anything you made yourself should most definitely not be ingested."

"You're no fun, Syd," he pouted, sliding away from me.

"Yeah, Syd," said Remus on my right. "You're no fun."

"Oh really?" I asked. Remus nodded. "Give me the glass, James."

James perked up excitedly, slipping the small cup into my hand.

"It's-"

"Don't tell me what it is," I interrupted, already theorizing all the ways that James could have managed to kill me with this drink.

I lifted the glass to the two boys and tipped my head back, the liquid dripping down my throat like slime with the putrid taste of liquor, pepper, and probably ketchup.

"God, that was terrible," I choked as James cheered.

"I stand corrected," Remus laughed. "I would never drink one of James's concoctions."

"That's because I'm more fun than you," I teased. Remus pretended to bow down to me.

"Try this one!" James cried, slamming down another glass, this time of a terrifying bright pink color.

"Oh, no thanks," I said. "That one's all you, Jimmy."

"Alright," James said, picking up the glass and tipping it upside down immediately. His face twisted up and turned a deep red before steam shot through his ears and drained him of his pain.

"Woah!" I laughed, picking up the now empty shot glass. "What did you put in there?"

"Watch this," James said excitedly.

He pulled out the glass he had just used and refilled it, half with tequila, a bit with Lily's juice, a squeeze of lemon, some pepper, salt, and then he reached into Lily's purse and pulled out a clear bag filled with what looked like jelly beans.

"Bertie Bott's?" I asked. James shook his head 'no'.

He used his knife to crack a purple bean in half and pushed its contents into the glass, mixing the liquid together until it turned the same lavender color as the bean.

"Hey, Sirius," James said casually. "Try this. That Muggle woman that Alice is friends with brought it."

Sirius glanced over at Alice's family friend, who was eyeing our table with a fond smile, and waved slightly at her before accepting the drink. He tipped the bottom up and downed the drink, and his face instantly pulled and pushed apart as if it were made of rubber and being yanked on in all directions. Purple smoke puffed through his nostrils and he swayed dizzily for a moment before regaining his composure.

James and I were losing it.

"What the hell was that?!" Sirius asked, eyeing the glass suspiciously.

"Muggle alcohol!" I lied enthusiastically. "Want some, Pete?"

Peter looked on fearfully at Sirius, who was feeling around his face for any deformities. He glanced back at James and I as though we were completely insane and shook his head vigorously.

"Come on, Petey," Marlene cut in, pushing him on the shoulder.

"You gonna have one, Mack?" James asked with a smirk. Marlene's eyes fell skeptically to the new glass that James had prepared.

"Oh, I didn't say-"

"Come on, Marls," Dorcas chimed, mimicking her girlfriend's actions.

"Yeah, alright," nodded the blonde. "Give it here, then."

James stood up to pass the green drink over to Marlene, who rose it up like a toast and drank it quickly.

Her face sagged down, as if her skin suddenly weighed ten times more than it should, leaving her with a strange and somewhat elderly-looking expression. It nearly reached the table before she turned lime green and her face shot back into place.

"SICK!" I cried.

"PETE, YOU HAVE TO DO IT!" Pleaded James.

"MARLS, YOU'RE SUCH AN UGLY OLD PERSON!" Sirius laughed.

"Would you stop!" Lily chastised as she looked embarrassedly around at our new onlookers, though even she was giggling at the effects of James's drink.

"You sure you don't need a job as a bartender?" Remus joked. "The Threebroomsticks is hiring."

"You hate that job," I said.

"Well, maybe I would hate it less if Prongs was serving this shit to rude customers."

I was about to reply, but the lights shifted around to the dance floor, where Alice and Frank had stepped out on their own.

"That's terrifying," I whispered to Remus after the song had been playing for a few moments.

"What is?" He whispered back.

"Dancing alone in front of all of these people."

"You think so?" Remus asked.

I nodded and we both stripped our eyes away from Frank and Alice.

"I dunno," he said. "I think we'll be fine."

"Yeah?" I asked. Remus nodded and pushed a small piece of hair out of my face.

"You and me," he whispered.

James suddenly rose from his chair, dramatically bowing to Lily and extending a hand to her. She shook her head and graciously accepted his hand, twirling around before following him to the wood floor where many people had stood to join Frank and Alice, including Marlene and Dorcas.

"Ready for our dance, darling?" Remus asked in his overly posh accent. I smiled.

"But of course, sire," I said, waving my hand in elegant circles before bowing my head to him.

Remus laughed and we both went to find a spot on the filling dance floor.

"You do know how to dance, right?" Remus asked, slipping his hands around my waist.

"I guess we'll find out," I replied dryly, wrapping my arms over his neck with a smile.

"It's not difficult," Remus insisted, swaying back and forth. "Although you are not at all musically coordinated so I suppose it may be a challenge."

"What's that supposed to mean?!" I cried.

"Nothing!" Remus laughed. "Want me to dip you?"

"Dip me?" I asked. "That's the weirdest thing you've ever asked."

Remus grinned and pulled one hand off of my waist, leaning me backwards quickly and causing my heart to drop to my stomach. He pulled me back and my heart shot back into place with a rushed breath. Stray hairs flew into my face and I breathed a laugh.

"No," I said. "The answer is no, I don't want you to dip me."

Remus laughed and pushed my hair behind my ears.

"You didn't like that?" He teased.

"It was terrifying," I replied.

"So I shouldn't do it again?" He grinned, pulling his hand away and making a move as though to dip me again.

"Don't do it, bitch baby," I warned. Remus put his hand back on my waist and smiled.

"Fine, fine," he said, stepping back and forth simply.

His eyes settled into mine, rinsing through me and washing away everything around us. I couldn't see the people dancing right beside us. I couldn't hear the music playing right over us. I couldn't feel my feet moving side to side.

There was only Remus, and that was perfect.

"I love you," he said quietly, a soft smile spreading through his lips.

I stood up a little taller to kiss him before smiling and resting my head on his shoulder.

"I know," I replied softly. "I love you, too."

"I know."

______

A/N

:)

song: speechless - dan & shay

how it applies: very sappy & cute & wedding-y & blah

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 26 35
The story of Remus Lupin and Anika Course
2.4K 139 6
look at the stars look how they shine for you POTTERVERSE OC x REMUS LUPIN ONGOING Β© 2023
1.3M 44.4K 78
In a universe where Voldemort never became powerful enough to terrify people for decades after the first Wizarding War, Peter didn't betray his frien...
1.5M 45.4K 47
In which Josie Longbottom falls for her best friend. started 13.02.20 finished 19.04.20