Missing piece

By overthinkerexpress

You never realise somethings missing until you've lost it. ' if you love someone you tell em' More

~ welcome to missing piece ~
~the carousel keeps turning~
~life changes in a heartbeat~
~tape and glue~
~boston~
~back to normality~
~blood is thicker than water or is it?~
~gut feelings~
A mystery will find its way to stay that way
Returning home or is it really home?
Settling back in or getting ready to leave again?
Put em in coach
It's been six months...
Fixing yourself or the things around you?
Maybe fixing yourself isn't the answer
Because you were fixed all along
getting better isn't a one size fits all
Recovery is a long road
should I stay or should I go?
the interview
the silent treatment
the night before
it all comes down to this
a new beginning?
flight
going going gone
luna shepherd
the return
the new normal
how bad is it if you don't talk about it?
a new start?
this is me trying
authors update

~councilling~

595 3 0
By overthinkerexpress

Luna's POV

It had been a few weeks since the shooting and I was able to walk by myself which for any normal person would be a walk in the park but for me, after having a bullet in my leg it was a struggle. The only positive thing about not being able to walk was Mark had been living with me. I also think it was his cover because he didn't want to leave me again. The only time he left me since the shooting was when I ended up being checked into the psych ward and since then he hasn't left my side well apart from when I'm peeing. 

 I haven't had the chance to speak with Derek as he's been avoiding my calls once again but Addison has apologised. It was a lengthy apology I must say. Having Mark around again has been eye-opening, he hasn't changed. A few nights ago he told me everything that had happened since the last time we spoke, and blimey did it make me laugh. One thing that didn't surprise me at all was that he has a Daughter!! 

The one person who has surprised me is Lexie, we had a lot of time to talk in group therapy anshees stayed around a few times. I didn't think I was going to like her due to knowing she dateMarkrk but she surprised me. She's very much like me.

Today every resident has to do a mandatory therapy session. I'd been staring at my closet for a good hour trying to pick something to wear and settled on the same jeans and hoodie I'd been wearing to every session. Mark was driving me once again as he didn't trust me to drive myself as my leg still wasn't healing properly. I hobbled downstairs and put my shoes on. I could do that by myself but Mark always tried to baby me. 

"Mark you ready? I want to be early. Come on!.... Hurry up!" I shouted up to him.

"I'm coming I'm coming!" He shouted back. He came running down the stairs of my apartment and grabbed the keys off the hook before looking at me for a second. 

"Hey, you taken your medication?" He asked getting into the car.

"Nope, almost forgot. Are they in the Kitchen?" I asked before pointing at the Kitchen.

"Yeah I'll grab them" Mark said grabbing them and a bottle of water and handing them to me. I downed them quickly and then smiled at him. 

"Have you eaten today?" Mark questioned. 

"Mark you made me oatmeal so yes" I said sarcastically back. 

"Okay, just checking," He said defensively. 

"I'm fine. My first day back is tomorrow, I can look after myself" I said to make him aware and piss him off. 

"Have you got the elevator yet?" He asked opening the door for me and him following. 

"No, I was gonna ask if you could come in it with me on the way up today?" I asked, I was scared, to say the least about going in the elevators again. I couldn't bear the thought of it. 

The journey to the hospital wasn't that long as I only lived a few blocks away and half the time we walked but today it was raining and neither of us fancied getting soaked. Every time since the shooting came back to the hospital my anxiety and heart rate spiked. My therapist says it's my body reacting to the trauma and one day it will be easy to arrive and leave without feeling anything. Mark parked in his usual spot which was next to Dereks and close to the entrance which was good for me as I didn't have far to walk. 

"Tomorrow you'll be going to start your first day as a resident" Mark said grinning. 

"I know, you still gonna come in the Elevator with me?" I asked taking a deep breath, it was scary coming back here. It was meant to be a fresh start but it was beginning to feel more like a step back.  

"Course, I'm with you the whole time" Mark said smiling before getting out of the car. I quickly grabbed my bag and walked over grabbing his hand. 

"Sorry, just scared" I whispered. It was hard, and I wasn't giving myself enough time to heal because I needed to get back to work before I was behind again and would be another year behind in becoming a surgeon. 

"It's okay Lu, you've got me. And I'm not leaving you" Mark said smiling. As soon as we made it into the buildings we had to go through the new security doors and searches which had been put in since the shooting. 

"See wasn't too bad was it," Mark said as we both met again. 

"I get used to that bit it's the next hurdle I'm not looking forward to," I said looking at the elevator. 

"Well I know you weren't so I assembled a little team to make it feel a little bit better" Mark said pointing at Lexie, Meredith, Derek, Webber and Cristina standing by one of the elevators. 

"Mark you didn't need to," I said looking up to him with tears in my eyes. 

"Hey Luna," Derek said as we approached pulling me into a hug. 

"I missed you," I said into his shoulder. 

"Okay, little Shepherd we got this" Mark said as we all got into the elevator. 

"I'm not sure I can do this," I said shaking. 

"You what you can do? Smile and count to ten" Derek said, all the doctors began in sync counting to ten before the elevator dinged at the fourth floor. 

"Wow that wasn't so bad" I said letting out a big breath. 

"Thank you" Mark said to everyone as we all split ways. 

"Mer, can I walk with you to counselling?" I asked, I hadn't had the chance to get to know her so now would be a good chance.

"Sure" Meredith smiled as I waved Mark off and trailed behind Meredith and Cristina. As we entered the room I took the empty chair next to Lexie and Alex. I was looking out the window for a while trying to count the raindrops splashing against the glass. But I couldn't tune out the conversation for a long. I heard someone talk about a taco truck and someone being asleep. Then Lexie took my arm and I automatically knew what she was talking about.

" I read a book, well actually I and Luna did!" Lexie starting she was shaking her leg but I grabbed my attention. 

"Hmm, what!" I looked up to see everyone staring at me so I started picking at my nails.  

"About the history of mass murders in the US. You know, that's the actual name of what happened to us; it was a mass murder!" Lexie stated.

"You can't call it a terrorist attack because the murders weren't political in nature and we weren't victims of a serial killer because Mr Clark would have had to murder several people over a period than 30 days to qualify to be a serial killer!" I said it came out in one go while I ripped the bits of skin off from around my finger until I saw it bleed. 

"We- we could call it a spree killing- which is defined as killings at two or more locations with no break or pause in between. Because Mr Clark shot the guy in his car before he got here but I'm not sure that counts as a true second location since it was so close to the hospital." Her voice began to get a bit louder.  

"Which means we were a masmurdererer. Because it happened in one place, by one person and more than four people were killed!" I quietly said looking down at my feet and putting my hand in my pocket.

"So Luna the day of the shooting was your first day?" He said it in a way like he knew it was my first day but was pointing it out to my peers. 

"Yeah I've served in the army and my first day there was better" I said bluntly but it got a few laughs out of everyone. I looked around to see everyone looking at me differently, it wasn't like I was a victim they were generally listening. 

"How long did you serve?" He asked. I could tell he was asking questions to add to my file about why I should never be allowed to operate again. 

"A year and a bit, between being a resident in Boston" I said before looking over and Meredith who probably had no idea I was the last resident her mother worked with. 

"How is being in the army being a surgeon different from working in a hospital, nothing much just better coffee" I said looking down at my feet. 

"Well you could say a lot of things are different but we have just been shot at which is very similar to being over there as well as dead bodies but I suppose there was a lot that day as well. And a lot of blood" I say gulping before looking up and noticing everyone's faces have changed again to more confused and shocked. I didn't say anything just headed straight for the door. 

"She didn't have enough time in the psych ward" Alex said making all the other residents laugh but one shortly followed her out. 

I meant against the wall in a supplclosetst. I slid down the wall and started to hug my knees. I just sat there a quietly sobbed to myself. When I heard someone come in and put their arm around me and hug me. The touch of another person made me break down even more. The sob turned into more hyperventilation as I couldn't breathe at the thought of leaving the room. We just sat there for what felt like hours. Until I looked up to see who it was and I could see the name on the jacket.
Jackson Avery MD

"Oh, you're the guy who checked me into Phych?" I said wiping my tears off my face. 

"I am that guy" He smirked, looking down at my bloody hands where I'd been picking my skin. 

"So before I take you back out there let's get you all bandaged up" Jackson said rising to his feet and going through some boxes before finding a first aid box. 

"You don't have to, I can do it" I said also standing up. 

"It's okay, It'll just take a second," Jackson said wrapping my finger in a plaster. 

"Thank you," I said smiling. I recognized the last name Avery but where from I had no idea. 

"I gotta get back out there, do you want me to page Sloan?" Jackson said. 

"It's okay, I think I might just go for a nap somewhere," I said before leaving the supply closet. I noticed an on-call room across the way so went and made a bed in there. 

Jackson's POV

As I followed her out and watched her go into the on-call room I smirked to myself, she did just feel like another resident to me she was different. 

"Never gonna happen!" Karev said knocking on my shoulder. 

"What are you on about!" Moving my hand over my head trying to cover up the fact I was just staring at Luna.

"You do know she and Sloan are probably together they've stayed together since the shooting. He's held her hand the whole time. Never gonna happen. And if it did Shepherd and Sloan would be all over you" he said pointing out the obvious. 

"I was just being a friendly." Replying to him trying to not make it obvious what he said it hurt me. The thing with Karev is he says what everyone's thinking even if its mean. Its why all of us residents were so close because nobody held back opinions. 

"Just cos you checked her into psych and sat with her doesn't mean you know her she has more secrets than you think. She has known all of the attendees and the chief for a while. Why did she only show up when Derek became chief think about it." he said walking away. 

"Yeah, she is one to watch!" I mumbled to myself. 

Notes-

Hope this one wasn't too long. I've had serious writer's block recently so yeah. Hope you guys understand that Luna is gonna be someone that everyone knows they just don't realise it yet.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20K 623 35
"I tried to forget you but I always find my way back to you because I love you"
906 2 24
"you move me" "i what?" "you move me. everything you do and everything you say, it just affects me in a way nothing else can. i really like you and i...
7.6K 431 13
You had a strong feeling that you were forgetting something extremely important, yet you didn't know what.
368K 5K 56
"Sometimes when you get hurt, all it takes is one touch from that right person, and everything is suddenly okay again."