A Fairytale In The Making

By Vakhaha

She grew up in the clutches of poverty; He was raised in the lap of luxury. She hated nobles; He couldn't be... More

1. SLEEPING DEITY
2. BEAUTY AND THE GOD
3. CINDERELLA
4. WONDERFUL WIZARD OF AZURA
5. THE LITTLE RED RIDING BIRD
7. SUN, MOON AND ISOLDE
8. THE KING OF THE BLESSED RIVER
9. THE WIND AND THE LADY
10. SAAT BHAI CHAMPA
11. THE TALE OF PRINCESS EBONI
CHARACTER AESTHETICS
12. THE CLUMSY THIEF
13. THE DRAGON OF THE SUN
14. STOMPS AND SURPRISES
15. ISOLDE AND THE SPHINX
16: THE WOLF AND THE GIRL
17. THE STAR VERDICT
18. RICH HEART OF STONE
19. THE ATTRACTIVENESS OF THE SLEEPY HOLLOW
CHARACTER AESTHETIC
20.CRANE'S RETURM OF AN IDENTITY
21. MIDGET MULAN
22. NOBLE KIDS AND BETAL
23. SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN SWEATERS
24. ISOLDE IN WONDERLAND
25.SOHRAB AND RUSTAM
26. GODFATHER DECAY
27. THE TWELVE LABORS OF AKIRA
28. PRINCESS AND THE RED DRAGON
29. DAMON AND PYTHIAS
30. TORHILD, TAMER OF HORSES
31. ORPHEUS AND EURYDICE
32. RAGNAROK
33. DAEDALUS AND ICARUS
34. THE EPIC OF GILGAMESH
35. THE LEGEND OF THE NINE-TAILS
36. RUMPELSTILSKIN
37. THE ELVE AND THE RYUUZAKI HEIR
38. THE RICH BROTHER AND THE POOR BROTHER
39. KURUKSHETRA
40. RAVEN TALES
41.THE PIED-PIPER OF AZURA
42. ESME-ORIGINAL FLOWER
43. PINOCCHIO
44. CAUTIONARY TALES

6. JOURNEY TO THE ACADEMY

144 23 120
By Vakhaha

MILES TO GO BEFORE I SLEEP

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

                  - ROBERT FROST

ISOLDE'S POV

I probably looked like a drenched raccoon when I opened the door seeing as I was plagued by horrible nightmares the whole night.

They always seemed to begin with my mother being back only for her to look sickly pale and awfully cold for some reason. 

It's as if even when she comes back to life, she's still dead.

So, I gave up on sleeping and waited by the door since sunrise for the Mage which resulted in me opening the door before he could knock.

"Well, don't you look lively this fine morning! Reminds me of my friend's pet Raccoon," were the morning greetings I got.

"It's name is Kaizer," he added after a pause.

"Who?"

"The racoon," he clarified with a smile.

"Good morning to you too. The court must be a place of high etiquette judging by the lovely greeting I just received. One can only hope to learn such fine manners," I replied with the fakest smile I could muster.

"You do your mastery in manners little praise, madam. We had a lengthy conversation yesterday in the doorway with no invitation to come inside. I must say this is definitely the most interesting hospitality I had the pleasure of enjoying. Oh, the joys of experiencing such fine hospitality first hand."

That's a really round about way of saying people suck up to you.

"You can come in only after I see solid evidence of your identity."

When you're a young girl living alone, you always have to take some precautions.

"Fair enough. Here," with that, he took out a piece of hard paper and held it with his gloved hands in front of my face.

He gave the paper a firm shake and like sirens emerging from the depths of an ocean, writing floated across it's body.

I could clearly see the identification card with the glowing golden seal of the Court on it. It read his name, age and position in the court, and the Holy army.

So his name was Inayat, an unusual name here and, apparently, he was a captain in the Holy Army and an instructor in the Academy.

Baig, his last name was Baig.

Where have I heard that name before?

After I was sure that the seal was real ( No one can copy that seal), I invited him in.

He looked around my humble abode with a mix of fascination and what I'm hoping is not pity.

Clearly, Mr. Fancy hair has never seen a leaking roof.

"Charming little accommodation you have here," he said after observing his surroundings a bit more.

"Thank you," Well, that wasn't so bad.

"However, I must ask. What is the purpose of the holes in the roof? For water collecting?" 

Ah, there it is.

Seeing my lack of answer, he occupied one of the stools in the living room. 

I did relish the look of horror on his face when the unstable old chair shook on it's ancient legs. 

Chuckling to myself, I went to get some of the tea and snack I had prepared earlier.

He looked at them with fascination too.

Never seen a glass of tea before, Fancy Robes?

Yes, glass, I broke the only cup I had last week.

He politely refused the snacks but took a sip of the tea.

Without taking off his gloves which, I don't care where he is from, was very much offending. 

Well, I guess they truly don't teach manners in the city of the Devine.

He didn't make any comments about the drink so I'm assuming he was blown away by my mediocre tea-making skills.

"So what have you decided?"

Straight to the point, I see.

"It's a Yes", I said trying not to look as nervous as I was. It took a lot of effort.

The goofy smile from yesterday was back on his face. He laughed and took off his hood exposing his whole face.

It wasn't distinguishable before under the hood but now, I could see his clear dark eyes and dark brown hair.

I don't know where he's from but that face will definitely be considered beautiful everywhere around the world.

A silver crown-like jewelry circled his forehead. The foggy onyx diamond in the middle looked menacing for some unexplainable reason.

"I knew you were going to say Yes. That's why I sent the letter this morning. Your entrance documents should be arriving by tonight."

"A bit presumptions, don't you think?"

"Well, I just fail to see why you would give up on any chance to escape this," he exclaimed, making vague hand gestures towards our surrounding.

Excuse me?

He didn't give me a chance to ask what he meant. Instead he asked me the identity of the God?

"I don't know."

Silence. Pin drop silence.

"What do you mean you don't know? Did you not know which temple you went to? Or was it an unfamiliar statue? Gods take different forms, you know"

"It wasn't a statue."

"Not a statue? A sacred temple then?"

"None. It was... I don't know what it was but it was a living thing. I don't know which God but it came to me itself."

More silence and a very shocked expression. Yes, me too, Pretty Face, you're not special.

"Well that is quite unheard of for a person like you"

What was that supposed to mean?

Does this man have a special talent for being infuriating without even trying?

"And why would that be unheard of for a person like me? Mind elaborating?" I gritted out.

"I mean no offense by that. Deities personally blessing someone is only heard amongst the noble families of Azura. Not even noble children from other kingdoms get blessed personally. There is only one other case beside you of personal blessing to a commoner child but he had...well, how should I put it, an interesting parentage."

Interesting parentage? 

Does being illegitimate count as having interesting parentage?

I mean, it has to be. Otherwise why would I be the topic of gossip for the whole village since the damn day I was born?

"So does that make me a special case? Do I get a scholarship?" I ask instead.

"Are you jesting in this situation, my lady?"

Would you take it seriously if you were in my place, Flower boy?

"I assure you I'm very serious. I do not have the money for study materials or even new clothes. I'm for all means, completely penniless."

I do have some savings. But why would I tell him that if he could arrange something for me for free?

"You do not have to worry about that. The Academy gives students like you financial aid and after the 2nd year, you are allowed to take jobs in the field. And I am sure Dayuu can manage something for you from the donated books from the previous years. I assure you you will not have to spend a penny."

Completely free?

That....was unexpected but not unwelcomed, I suppose. It put my mind to ease to some extent.

"Anyways, back to the topic, you were saying you do not know the God's name. Now that is completely new. But I'm sure if you give the Academy the location of your blessing our scholars can identify the deity. You won't go into specialized magic until 3rd year anyway. "

"So that's it."

"Well yes. Do you have any further questions? Feel free voice them all. Oh and pack light. You won't be needing much stuff from here."

"Packing? Now?"

"Ah yes, we leave tonight. So pack up quickly. Chop Chop, sweetheart. "

Now? That's too quick!

"I know it's fast, my dear but all the formalities will take time and the academic year starts in less than 2 weeks", he said gently.

 He continued after seeing my hesitation, "It's the holy city, my dear. Sol's light shines eternally there." 

Well, that didn't have the intended effect. But I do appreciate his effort.

"You go pack. I'll sit here."

I packed very little and most of them were mementos of mama. I needed something to remind me of her in that foreign place so I don't lose myself.

The carriage was waiting for us drawn by two black horses. I was a bit excited for my first-ever carriage ride.

That's also probably why I almost fell while getting on it.

It wasn't embarrassing now but it will definitely be years from now when I'm going to sleep.

I promised myself to not sleep in the carriage so I can enjoy the changing scenery outside.

The steady rhythm of the moving carriage matched with the sound of hooves lulled Mr. Inayat to sleep. But I was wide awake.

The extent of my decision finally struck me. I felt little giddy with anxiety and excitement.

I was like Tang Shan Zang but instead of the three protector, I had this guy in front of me who was drooling in his sleep. 

I scoffed a little when I saw he still had his fancy leather gloves on. 

This carriage is heated. There's no way he was feeling cold. 

Was high and mighty Holy Captain afraid his precious magic-wielding hands will touch the peasant from nowhere?

I looked outside towards the dark woods looking lovely under the moonlight. I wanted to sleep bit.

But I had a promise to keep and miles to go before I sleep. And miles to go before I sleep.

*Elven: Elf people, A type of humanoid supernatural beings from Germanic myths and folklore.

*Journey To The West: A 16th century Chinese novel. It has inspired a wide range of media since it's publication, some of which might be familiar. For Example: Dragon Balls (Manga), Naruto (Manga), God Of High School (Manhwa), A Korean Odyssey (K-drama), Miraculous Ladybug ( French animated TV Show) etc.

*Tang Shan Zang: The main character of the 16th century novel Journey To The West by Wu Cheng'en.

*The Three Protectors: The three protectors were the three disciples of Tang Shan Zhang provided to him by Gautama Buddha-Sun Wokong, Zhu Bajie and Sha Wujing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please vote and leave comments. Criticism is welcome but not rudeness. Thank you.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

319 5 16
*Content Introduction* I swear, Your Grace will not regret marrying me. I became an extra doomed to be assassinated shortly after marriage. It's sad...
47.8K 1.9K 117
Islamic story. Vote. Zamzam Maleek,a shy,introverted,independent 17 year old girl who has a very loving and wealthy family and has only one dream tha...
6.2K 104 43
Evanly's desires of being loved, feeling affection, satisfaction and sex were casted aside as she was stuck in a loveless marriage, but light shined...