Chicago PD: You Found Me

By Quinnfanfic15

Intelligence are given the unusual task of giving a short talk in a high school, but when Hailey sees herself... More

Chapter 1 - Talk At LMWHS
Chapter 2 - Home
Chapter 3 - Frozen
Chapter 4 - In The Shadows.
Chapter 5 - Tunnel Vision
Chapter 6 - You're One of Us Now.
Chapter 7 - Going Home
Chapter 8 - Back to school Blues
Chapter 9 - Where the Grass is Greener.
Chapter 10 - The Blackhawks
Chapter 12 - Gray Clouds.
Chapter 13 - Silver Linings
Chapter 14- After
Chapter 15 - Goodbye

Chapter 11 - Visiting Time.

2.1K 31 6
By Quinnfanfic15

Hey everyone, hope you enjoy this chapter! Thanks for reading! Whether you're new to the story or continuing to read I hope you enjoy this update.

"They said you had a good week Grandma? That you've been feeling a little better?" Gracie asked her Grandma. She had come for her visit on Sunday which she had been doing more regularly since she lived with Jay and Hailey.

It was harder when she lived with her Dad because he'd rarely let her see her after she had been taken out of her Grandma's care because of her Alzheimer's. She'd been put in a senior citizen home out in Naperville and there wasn't a chance he would drive her out there nor did she have the money to make it down there anymore than once a month at the most.

She felt awful, her Grandma cared for her more than any other person in the world when her Mom died. All whilst grieving herself for the loss of her daughter. When she got put in the home in Naperville, Gracie felt powerless like there was nothing she could do to help the one person who put everything into helping her.

Hailey already knew a little about Gracie's Grandma since when they gave the talk (when they first met Gracie) Miss Harper told Hailey about when Gracie had stayed with her and how she had been taken out of her care because of the Alzheimer's.

After only spending a few days with Gracie, Hailey knew how much she loved and missed her Grandma so her and Jay began taking her to visit her in Naperville every Sunday when Gracie started living with them.

"Things are a little clearer I think. Is my daughter coming to visit?" The older lady asked making Gracie pause unsure how to respond. No matter how many times her Grandma asked that question it never got easier to answer.

She got advised by the staff that cared for her not to explain exactly what happened with her Mother when her Grandma got confused or forgot. It would be too painful for her to keep finding out and her body may not be able to handle that level of stress.

"Not today Grandma, she said she was sorry she couldn't make it." Gracie said in minimal response hoping to change the subject.

"Oh that's ok dear, my daughter's a nurse you know." She said turning to Jay and Hailey who she saw standing a few steps behind Gracie.

"Yes ma'am we heard that, you must be very proud." Jay responded with a smile interested in what Gracie's Grandma, Elsie had to say.

"So so proud." Elsie agreed. "It's a shame she couldn't make it but she works long hours you know?" She said and Hailey nodded in understanding but also gave a sympathetic look to Gracie who was having to almost pretend her Mom was still alive.

"Gracie, why don't you tell your Grandma about the tennis regionals tomorrow?" Hailey suggested encouragingly, also attempting to change the subject a little for Gracie's sake.

"Ooooo tennis, my Granddaughter plays tennis I think." Elsie added interested in what Gracie had to say.

"Yeah that right Grandma she does. I am your Granddaughter, it's me Gracie remember? You used to come watch some of my games when I lived with you." Gracie reminded with a kind smile reflecting on the nice memories she had of her Grandma cheering her on.

"I don't but I remember how much I loved my Granddaughter...you remind me so much of my daughter so you must be her." Elsie explained racking her brain desperately trying to find more memories of them. "I remember smaller things, like how my daughter Clara smiles when my Granddaughter...when you score points in tennis. She's so proud of you."

"Yeah...yeah she really liked...uh likes coming to watch. She's barely even misses a game." Gracie responded with a nod and a fake smile, trying her best not to give anything away to her Grandma about her Mom.

"Is she coming to your tournament?" Her Grandma added catching her a little off guard.

"Um...um well lately she's been real busy with work, more than usual but she hopes she can make it." Gracie said a little choked up.

"Gracie, you wanna go and get a drink or something from the vending machine?" Jay offered trying to give her a little break.

"Nah, uh...no thanks I'm good. I just need a minute." Gracie said looking down for a few seconds to compose herself before looking back up with a smile to her Grandma who was looking a little concerned.

"What's the matter honey? Are you ok?" Her Grandma asked in worry.

"I'm fine Grandma, it's just nerves and tiredness. A lot of practice and school that's all, it's all good don't worry." Gracie reassured putting her hand on her Grandma's for a few seconds comfortingly.

Elsie nodded and thankfully believed Gracie which Gracie was grateful for. "Who are your friends dear?" She asked turning to look at Jay and Hailey who stood a meter or so behind Gracie's chair.

"This is Jay and this is Hailey. They're..." Gracie began but was about to hesitate figuring out what to say when they intervened.

"We're Clara and Ray's family friends we live across the street from them and Jay coaches tennis at Gracie school. Clara had a big RTA come in and we have family down here in Naperville so we said we could bring Gracie down here and then drop her at tennis later." Hailey said thankful at that point for her experience undercover.

"Oh well that's very nice of you." Elsie responded smiling at them both.

"It's no problem at all Gracie is a great kid." Jay responded.

"Is it ok for you in here Grandma? Are you comfortable? Do you have everything you need? Do you want us to pick anything up for you?" Gracie asked in concern.

"No that's ok honey it seems nice here everyone's very kind, are we going back home soon though?" Elsie responded.

Gracie hesitated a little stumped again at what to say. "Uh...not just yet we gotta stay here for a while, you've been a little sick, but they're taking real good care of you don't worry. I'll be coming to visit again in a couple of days alright?" Gracie explained.

"Elsie, it's time for lunch. I think they've even put a bigger slice of apple pie aside for you today." The nurse said kindly with a smile on her face. "I can come back if you guys need a minute?"

"That's ok, I gotta get to practice and we're coming back back on Thursday after Jay and Hailey have finished their shift. Thanks though." Gracie said and the nurse smiled at her and nodded.

"Of course, no problem." The Nurse responded and went on one side of Elsie whilst Gracie went on the other, helping her out of her chair and into a wheelchair.

"Bye Grandma, I'll see you on Thursday ok. Don't worry if you forget I'll call on Thursday morning and the nurses will remind you." Gracie said giving her a side hug.

"You ok?" Hailey asked as they walked out from the visit. She wrapped an arm around Gracie comfortingly knowing that seeing her Grandma so confused was upsetting for her.

"Yeah I'm good." Gracie said quietly with a nod and slight smile up to Hailey who rubbed her shoulder comfortingly.

"The staff seem really nice, they seem to be taking real good care of her Grace." Jay added as they approached the car.

"I know, it's just...when they said that she had remembered more this week I was hoping she'd be a little more lucid I guess."  Gracie explained with a slight look of defeat on her face.

"I know honey and I know it's hard, but like Jay said there's great staff here and she seems comfortable. She's safe and your safe and anytime you wanna see her you just say and we'll take you ok?" Hailey reassured and Gracie nodded.

"Hey..." Jay started and put a hand on her shoulder as they stood next to the car. "I don't know your Grandma very well but it seems that when she was more lucid all she would have wanted is for you to be happy and taken cared of. Even being less lucid now she said she loves her Granddaughter and that she's proud of you."

"You ready to start heading back to Chicago? Tennis is in a few hours we better beat the traffic." Jay suggested and Gracie nodded getting into the back of the car.

They made it back to Chicago within two hours and Gracie played well at Tennis. She was a little nervous about tomorrow now that she had done all the practice she could do and just had to wait but she was excited too.

"You're gonna do great tomorrow, coach said you did really well today." Jay reminded Gracie knowing she would be feeling a little uneasy about tomorrow.

"I hope so." Gracie responded.

"Jay's right you're going to smash it tomorrow kid no doubt." Hailey added with a smile. "You hungry?" She asked as they went back through the door of their apartment.

"Yeah." Gracie nodded.

Jay patted her on the upper back in agreement. "Yeah I am too let's go eat."

"I can make meatball subs if you like?" Jay offered, which earnt a nod of approval from Gracie and Hailey.

They all sat and ate the meatball subs that Jay had made and then watched some game shows on tv before Jay sat up slightly and saw the Gracie had fallen asleep on the couch.

"She's wiped out." Jay said looking at the sleeping teen in the armchair across from him and Hailey on the couch.

"Yeah this week with school, homework, extra tennis this week it's really taken it out of her. Most kids that have weeks like this can sleep through the night, but with Gracie still getting nightmares a few nights a week she rarely does." Hailey responded turning to look at Gracie asleep in the chair.

"Yeah Will was talking about that at the Blackhawks game the other night. He said if we need to take her in to get some anti-anxiety meds for before she sleeps we can." Jay explained repeating what his brother had said.

"They're a lot better than they were when she first started staying with us, but maybe once the tennis is over we can talk to her about it again, see what she wants to do." Hailey suggested.

"Yeah I think that would be a good idea." Jay agreed.

"I'm gonna wake her, don't want her playing with a stiff neck tomorrow from sleeping in that chair." Hailey said and kissed her boyfriend before getting up off of the couch and gently shaking Gracie's shoulder.

"Gracie, hey sweetie it's time to go to bed." Hailey said and Gracie just nodded still in a bit of a daze from sleeping.

"Ok night." She said quietly and got out of the chair making her way into her room.

"Night." The pair responded and shortly made their own way to bed.

————————————————————————

The next morning Jay's phone started to ring from on the nightstand on his side of the bed.

"Mmm who is it?" Hailey said tiredly as Jay reached over to look at his cell phone.

"Elsie's care home I left our contact with them yesterday." Jay explained and answered the phone. "Jay Halstead. Hi...what? When?" Jay said with a little look of shock on his face, sharing a look of concern with Hailey, by his tone she could already guess what was being said.

"Ok, alright thank you for letting us know, bye." Jay said and ended the call.

"Please tell me that wasn't about what I think it was about." Hailey said a look of worry on her face thinking about how this may affect Gracie.

"They went into Elsie's room this morning to give her, her early morning meds and she'd passed away in her sleep." Jay said and Hailey sighed in sympathy for Elsie and for what Gracie was about to face.

"We gotta tell her."

Thats it for this update! Sorry another cliff hanger! Hope you enjoyed this chapter I know where I'm going with the next one so hopefully the update won't take as long. Thanks for reading EQ x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

170K 3.4K 72
Oneshot stories from your favourite universe :)
56.6K 829 19
Antonio Dawson is the lead Detective in the Intelligence Unit at District 21 in Chicago. With everything Antonio has gone through in his life here re...
75.7K 1K 44
With a "simple" life, a small Chicago city girl calls the police when she notices suspicious activity whilst going on her daily stroll, the intellige...
29K 507 15
A young girl finds herself in big trouble and needs help, but maybe the help she receives will land her in even deeper trouble, maybe it will get her...