Color: Special Edition

By thomaseng

During World War I, a black baseball player gets a second chance to play ball on an all-white steel mill base... More

Author's Notes
Prologue
1. Someday
2. Black and White
3. Falling
4. Dilemma
5. Infamy
6. Wise Men
7. Chaos
8. Excuse Me, Sir
9. The Girl
10. The Old Man
11. The World's Changing
12. Something More
13. Unexpected Meeting
14. The Poet
15. A Perfect Stranger
16. Willy's Big Plan
17. Choices
18. Picture
19. Gone Wrong
20. Cocktail Party
21. The Lady
22. Mortician's Office
23. You Understand?
24. Maurice
25. Drifting
26. Cruelty
27. The Idea
28. One Out of Many
29. Waiting to See You
30. The Offer
31. The Errand
32. Unexpected News
33. Rough Beginning
34. Broken Circle
35. Mr. Lanky Arms
36. Fair Shot
37. Disaster
39. Friend
40. Secret
41. Surprise
42. Unexpected Encounter
43. Running
44. Amateur Night
45. Us Versus Them
46. The Question
47. The Answer
48. Problem
49. Birmingham
50. First Date
51. The Real Edward
52. No More Henry?
53. Edward's Plot
54. Isolated
55. Pride
56. Father And Son
57. Before The Game
58. Separate But Equal
59. The Kiss
60. First Game
61. Failed Experiment
62. Divided We Blame
63. The Job
64. Truth Be Told
65. Separate But Separate
66. White Side
67. Get Out!
68. Silent Appraisals
69. Black Side
70. Strangers
71. Farewell Gift
72. Inspiration
73. Off To War
74. Message From Sarah
75. Soulmate
76. The Snake
77. The Board
78. Our House
79. Injustice
80. Perspective
81. Can I Count On You?
82. The Return
83. The Proposal
84. Policeman
85. Big Surprises
86. Turning Point
87. Coming After You
88. Permission
89. Big Plans
90. The Big Question
91. Marriage
92. The Problem
93. New Home
94. Harsh Truth
95. Uncertain Future
96. Moving Forward
97. Vandals
98. Shattered Dream
99. True Enemy
100. No Options
101. A Wise Man Once Said
102. Hope
103. The Gamble
104. Playoffs: Game One
105. Last Laugh
106. Slow It Down
107. Playoffs: Game Two
108. Commotion In The Stands
109. Separate And Unequal
110. Waiting
111. Fly, Henry, Fly
112. Final Rest
113. Justice
114. Alone Again
115. Revelation
116. Rebirth
117. Amazing Grace
118. Friendship
119. Championship
120. Final Inning
Epilogue

38. Out to Pasture

1 0 0
By thomaseng

Jake entered Coach Taylor's office, fists clenched, ready for a fight.

Taylor's office was a twenty-by-twenty square with an oak desk, two birch office chairs, and one tall walnut bookcase. Without those furnishings, the room would have made a perfect boxing ring which only seemed fitting. Coach Taylor was a two-time heavyweight boxing champion at the Naval Academy.

Jake sat in the guest chair, folding his arms into a defiant shield.

Coach leveled an even gaze at the Cowboy. "Why are you giving the new boy such a hard time?"

Jake rolled his eyes. "Hell, I was trying to make a play, and that Negro got in my way. It's not my fault he took a tumble."

"Bullshit," Coach Taylor said, his voice calm. "You put him on his keister on purpose."

"That Nigra deserved it!" Jake rose from his seat and made his way to the window. Outside, a lone white tumbleweed cloud rolled underneath a gray sky towards the ballpark. God, he loved the game. But he didn't love the idea of a Negro tarnishing the tradition of baseball.

Jake turned to Coach Taylor, his expression a mix of frustration and disappointment. "It just ain't right. You're giving him the shortstop position."

"What're you talking about?" Coach said. "I haven't given Henry anything."

"Then why'd you try that black sonofabitch at shortstop more than any other position today?"

A muscle pulsed in Coach Taylor's neck. "How I run my practice is my business! Stop trying to play fortune teller, and just play ball. I'll decide where I put Henry, you, and everyone else when I'm good and ready."

Jake blew out a heavy breath. "Blacks are taking over everything in Hester. If you give a colored a spot on the roster, ten more will show up on your doorstep tomorrow."

Coach stood up and met Jake's glare. "It's just a matter of time before blacks and whites play on the same team ... everywhere."

The Cowboy shook his head, his stomach knotted in disgust. "I'm done here." He spun on his heel and headed for the door, a bitterness gnawing at his insides. He hated the idea of playing on the same team with a colored. More than that, he hated being treated as if they were equals.

Jake gave the knob a twist and opened the door. He turned back to Coach Taylor.

"At the end of last season, you said shortstop would be mine."

Coach replied with a wistful look, because it was true. He didn't say a word as Jake left.

Outside, Jake snatched his duffel bag from the dirt ground beside a stack of wooden rail ties. He started to march across the work yard, located behind the mill, back towards the ballpark.

Across the yard, Rusty, Garrett, and Marshall were waiting for him, chatting it up, but Jake was in no mood to talk.

Jake's thoughts fled back to his youth. He thought about his father's loyal work horses on their ranch in Montana. Two particular horses came to mind: Clay, a large sandy-colored stallion with white socks; and Mary, a mare with a silver coat that shimmered in the sun. Jake remembered the day they were pulling the plow when Clay came across a piece of loose ground. The horse lost his footing and sprained his right front leg.

Over the next few weeks, Clay struggled to keep up with the workload. That's when Jake's father bought a new stallion as black as midnight and stronger than an ox.

After that, Clay became slow and withdrawn. He no longer raised his head in search of apples. He no longer whinnied and trotted around. He only plodded along, his head hung low and nose always pointing to the ground. Clay's once-shimmering coat became dull and patchy as if a reflection of being replaced. It wasn't long before the horse could no longer pull a plow, and he was retired to the stables. Or put out to pasture, as his father liked to call it.

Jake watched that worn-out old horse, who had once looked so strong and vibrant, wither away to nothing, hobbling from one patch of dry grass to the next.

With this blackie now on the team, Jake wondered to himself ...

Was he being put out to pasture too?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

158 19 11
It is 1914, and Henry Anderson is watching the world descend into war. Like many young men at the time, he is fascinated by the idea of warfare and g...
Of The Dark By Hi

Historical Fiction

79.7K 2.3K 17
She was a kind, everyday girl imprisoned under the tyranny of the Nazi regime. He was the self-righteous son of one of the most powerful men in the T...
71.2K 2.9K 20
In Germany, Wolfgang Braun is forced to join the Nazis. He isn't sure he believes anything Hitler is doing is good, but he doesn't have a choice. W...
159 30 32
She is not just the lover of a soldier, a girl neglected by her only living relative and gradually becoming a woman in the world of 1917. She is Hann...