77. The Board

Frank Bell hurried down the hall towards his father's office. He held a sheet of paper in his hands that he couldn't wait to show him. The last few days had been hard on Frank, what with Peter going overseas, but today Frank found his spirits lifted. He had proof that Union Steel was finally turning the corner. Productivity up seventeen percent. Accidents and injuries down nine percent. He was going to show his father that his plan for easing the tensions at Union Steel was working.

Frank entered the office, a grin on his face.

"I've got good news, fa-"

Frank cut off his own sentence upon seeing who occupied the office.

As usual, Richard Bell sat behind his huge desk, a cigar in his mouth. Across from him sat another familiar face, one that Frank hadn't expected to see.

It was Mr. Heiler, the president of the Pennsylvania Steel Mill Baseball League; the league that the Pioneers belonged to. At six feet tall, he was a Germanic bear of a man with a thick graying beard.

Frank composed himself, donning his professional demeanor like a shield. "Mr. Heiler, how are you? What brings you to our neck of the state?"

Mr. Heiler stood and shook Frank's hand. As he did, Frank noticed his father's scowl from the opposite side of the desk. He wondered what they had been discussing. Maybe some bad news for the league?

"It's good to see you, Frank," Mr. Heiler said. "I'm glad you're here. Your father and I were just talking about a subject that concerns you. It's probably best that you're here for this conversation."

"Oh?" Frank said. "It sounds serious. What's on your mind?"

"Wait," Richard interjected. "Let's start with your good news. I'm sure we could all use some of that. What have you got there?"

"Well, it's our latest numbers." Frank handed the paper to his father.

Richard looked over the paper, as he took a couple puffs of his cigar. He shook his head, and handed the paper to Mr. Heiler.

Mr. Heiler studied the sheet. "Wait a minute! You keep track of fights?"

Frank nodded. "Between the white and colored workers."

"What's the world coming to?" Mr. Heiler said, shaking his head. He paused for a moment before continuing. "Nonetheless, these numbers are promising." He held up the paper. "What do you attribute this success to?"

Frank didn't hesitate. "It's from signing our new ball player, Henry Louis. He's drawn the attention of the workers away from one another. And who knows? Seeing a team that's represented on both sides like that, I think it eventually brings our employees closer together."

Richard sighed and leaned back in his chair.

Mr. Heiler's brow furrowed.

"What?" Frank said.

"Frank, I'm glad that the numbers are up," Richard said. "But I doubt it's because of Henry Louis. In fact, this is probably a good segue to what brought Mr. Heiler here today."

"Exactly," Mr. Heiler said. "You see Frank, the board of the steel mill league has already been made aware of your decision to sign a Negro player. They're not pleased about it. Not one bit."

Anger smoldered in Frank's chest, and he fired a glare at his father. "Did you go and talk to the board about this?"

Richard glowered. "They would have found out eventually. Besides, I wasn't trying to stir up trouble. I only wanted to get the opinion of the league board on the matter before things get out of hand."

"Mr. Heiler, how can the board be upset about this?" Frank said. "Henry's a good ball player. He's going to help us win some games. And he's going to be an asset to the Pioneers and even to the league."

Mr. Heiler stroked his beard. "Based on what I've heard, he hasn't done any winning yet."

"He's only played one game!" Frank said.

"Yes, one game. A game you would think he'd want to be on his best behavior to impress his new team and the crowds who don't know him yet. Well, if that was any indication of his best behavior, I'd hate to see what that boy does on a bad day. He was nothing but disrespectful, and he made a fool of himself, the Pioneers, and the entire league!"

"He deserves a chance," Frank said.

Mr. Heiler gave Frank a hard look. "He's already lost you one game. He's going to lose you more. You're deluding yourself if you really think having him on the team is going to bring your workers together. You'll keep losing games, because he can't control his temper. And that's only going to hurt your team. This boy isn't the solution that you're looking for."

"I'm not taking him off the team," Frank replied, evenly.

"Oh, would you knock it off!" Richard snapped. "Will you listen to someone else for once in your life? There's no reason for you to be so stubborn! We're all on the same side here. We all want what's best for the team and the league. You don't have any reason to get so up in arms about it!"

"Hold on a second," Mr. Heiler said. "I didn't say you should take him off the team."

Richard looked surprised.

"You don't want him off the team?" Frank asked.

"I do," Mr. Heiler replied. "That Negro has no place playing in a white man's sport. But I don't want to see him just pulled off the team yet. The board members have been placing wagers to see how long it takes for him to quit. There's a lot of money in the pot right now."

"And what if he doesn't quit?" Frank asked.

"Oh, he'll quit." Mr. Heiler chuckled. "Come on, Frank. You think you're the first owner to try this stunt? The Miners in Dallas signed a Negro player last year. He only lasted two weeks. Your boy won't last much longer than that. I'm sure of it. No Negro has ever set foot on the field during this league's playoffs. Mark my words, it's going to stay that way."

"And if it doesn't?" Frank asked.

Richard pressed his lips into a thin line of disapproval.

"It will," Mr. Heiler said flatly. "You and your father here will make sure of that. One thing I need to make real clear. If Henry Louis is still active on your roster for the playoffs, the two of you will pay the financial consequences."