Counting Losses(on going)

By courtrederead

After an accident, Sugawara Koushi is left feeling alone and useless. He is crushed by doubt and hopelessness... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18

Chapter 17

25 1 0
By courtrederead

The coaches at camps have never gone easy. It's nearly impossible to please them. 

"Kageyama! Set straighter!"

"Sugawara, use more power!"

"Akaashi, I can hear your fingers on the volleyball! Silent passing you guys!"

"Kenma! More confidence in your sets!"

Our coach in our setting specialty group, Coach Sato, yelled especially loud. The coach working over with DS and liberos was quieter. The only reason there was noise over there was because of Nishinoya. He yelled and cheered every time he made a good save. 

"Hey, Sugawara! Focus!" Coach Sato yelled chaotically. 

"Uh-right! Sorry, sir!" I apologized, focusing back in on what I was doing. 

Kageyama worked closely with Coach Sato, learning advanced sets. Why would Sato teach Kageyama all that and not us?

Cause you're not good enough. Cause Kageyama is better than you and always will be. 

I locked my jaw tight and stared at the two. I suck is what I'm seeing. I'm a shit show at this sport cause a first-year is showing my ass up. 

"He annoys me," Kenma said, working next to me. Sato was having us set against the wall. It was monotonous, especially when at the net Kageyama was working on fives and four sets. They're my favorites to do. 

"Why?" I asked. 

"Why the hell is he getting special treatment when the rest of us came here to learn specialty sets too? Just doesn't make sense. Whatever. I don't actually care," Kenma grumbled. 

"I was wondering that myself," I thought out loud.

"You totally care," Someone came up behind Kenma and me. 

We both quickly turned around, the volleyballs we were setting falling to the ground. 

"Shut up I do not," Kenma said to Kuroo, Nekoma's captain. 

"Oh you totally do," Kuroo teased. 

"Whatever," Kenma rolled his eyes. 

Sato called all the setters together to talk to us. We were joining a bunch of groups together, the reason why Nekoma's captain was over. Four setters, four hitters, and four DS. 

The coach tossed the ball to a setter, who set it out to a hitter, and then the ball would be hit towards a DS over the net to dig up. 

I set a ball to the ace from Fukurodoni, Bokuto. He was louder than Tanaka after. 

"Bokuto, shut up," Akaashi said. 

"Pfft, you know you're proud of me, Kaashi," Bokuto huffed. 

"Sure whatever," The Fukorodoni setter said. 

Breaks were also few and far at camps too. I was exhausted when we were finally done for the day. 

My leg was sore and so were my wrists but I didn't mention it. I passed by one of the three gyms where Tsukishima was playing volleyball with Kuroo from Nekoma, Bokuto, Akaashi, and Kenma. The two captains from the other schools dragged the first year into hanging with them at our last camp. He acts like he really hates it but I think he's warmed up to them; at least a little. 

I really needed to ice my leg. I promised my mom I would take care of it and my dad that I wouldn't get any more hurt. 

My ankle looked swollen when I took off my tall boot. The skin was pale and gross. 

Anyway, the ice touching it felt like death by the cold. 

"Hey, Sugawara," Kageyama came and sat down next to me on the floor. 

"Hey," I nodded. 

"I have a question for you," He said. 

"Hm," I looked at him, waiting. 

"Are you mad?" He asked. 

"What? Mad at what?" I looked at him confused. 

"I don't know...Me?" Kageyama said. 

"Why?" I scrunched up my face. 

"I don't know...just...are you?" 

"No," I said quickly, "Why would you think that?" 

"You just...seemed mad at practice," Kageyama shrugged. 

"Well, I wasn't. Okay? Just leave it alone," I stared down at the ground next to me. 

"Right. Sorry," He said. 

"No don't worry about it. Hey, you did well today," I told Kageyama. 

"Oh, thanks. I like training camps. More variety."

"Exactly," I said. 

"Was your leg much of a problem?" The first year asked. 

I thought about how to answer for a second. It hadn't been too big an issue. I could still run drills but when it involved too much movement I got benched for the drill, "To an extent. I mean I couldn't do all the stuff you guys were able to." 

"That sucks," Kageyama said. 

Well I know it's true but you didn't need to be so blunt. 

"Kageyama! Come with me back to the gyms before dinner!" Hinata yelled. 

"No. You'll be too tired for tomorrow," Kageyama growled. 

"Come on! Don't be boring. I wanna go play more!" Hinata said. 

"Fine, dumb ass," Kageyama pulled himself up from the ground and followed after him. 

"Have fun," I laughed. 

So he's going to practice more and get better while I'm here icing my ego. Nice. 

I'm so excited for a first-year to excel past me even more than he already has. 

"What are you thinking about that's giving you such a little bitch face, Suga?" Tanaka asked, appearing beside me. 

"Nothing," I said. 

"That's a lie you look like a sad little bitch," Noya said joining in. 

"Oh come on!" I threw up my hands, laughing.

"Don't be afraid to admit it that's what you look like," Daichi said. 

"Not you too!" I said. 

"Hell yeah! I'm your captain, I'm certainly not letting you keep a bitch attitude," Daichi scoffed.

"You suck," I shook my head, trying not to laugh. 

"Hey well at least he understands we're all picking up on the moodiness," Tanaka said snapping in my face.

"Oh come on," I rolled my eyes, pushing his hand out of my face. 

"Dude we're your teammates. We know you," Ennoshita said. 

"Yeah come on! A few of us are your bench mates!" Narita laughed. 

"We love you dude," Kinoshita nodded. 

"Fuck off," I cursed. I was trying not to get mad and the whole thing was kinda funny but don't bring up the fucking bench Kageyama put me on.   

"Alright guys," Daichi said stopping the other guys. Wow, did he have a way of knowing my limits.

"Pfft, sorry man," Tanaka scoffed. 

"Yeah, whatever," I smirked. 

Honestly, I didn't mind how much they teased me. It showed me that they actually cared a little bit. They noticed I wasn't 100%. That I wasn't able to be their complete sun helping brighten their dark ass days. 

"Ey! Boys it's dinner! Where are those bloody first years?" Coach Ukai called for us. 

"I'll get em, coach!"  Tanaka yelled. 

"Oh, finally food!" We all rushed out of the room, a loud clambering as other school's volleyball teams ran out as well. 

"They're best be steak!" Noya called. 

"Oh my gosh just go!" I laughed. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.2K 559 16
I don't have a description for this yet.
127K 1.9K 38
Just a series of Haikyuu one-shots & x-reader one-shots :)
3.3K 84 16
You had numerous chances and you wasted each of it. A Sugawara (Haikyuu) X Reader Short Angst(?)
42K 380 33
Anime: Haikyuu By the way this is my first time doing these so I hope it's good. Teams: Karasuno Nekoma Inarizaki Fukurodani Shiratorizawa Aoba Joshai